• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements/Updates 2013 - Summer sale start date? No one knows, don't ask

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acidote

I just got a Portal 2 Booster Pack (3 cards), and I wasn't supposed to have any drops left. In fact I have not opened the game for a while.

I just got a Portal 2 Booster Pack (3 cards), and I wasn't supposed to have any drops left. In fact I have not opened the game for a while.

You don't have to play a game to be eligible for its Booster Pack - you just need to have logged into Steam recently. If you go to your badges page and click "How do I earn more drops?" and it will tell you if you are eligible for a Booster Pack.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I think that or some kind of trackball are fairly safe bets, as is direct access to Steam Community features, like a dedicated screenshot button, etc.

If they just give me that and a nice d-pad, I'm there.

Hell, even if the thing was covered in spikes I'd be there.
Quick access to the Steam Overlay (or specific functions of it, such as screenshots or friends list) would be great additions.

Some kind of motion capabilites would be nice too, I'd like to try the exclusive Portal 2 levels but don't want to buy a Razer Hydra. And I could also get that Bit.Trip Beat achievement too.

It's probably to help differentiate it with the new Shadow Warrior coming out.
Fair point, I hadn't thought of it. That's probably the case.

This is how a booster pack works. You have to have got every drop in a game, and it doesn't mind if you haven't played it recently, as long as you had logged in on Steam during the past week.

ArjanN

It's either "classic" or "redux", why both?

As a fan of Duke3D, I need to get this game. Even if I never played the original version.

To differentiate between the 'classic' version they gave away for free, and the upcoming new Shadow Warrior game.

Not to be a debbie downer but it'll probably only work on Win8.

Unlikely IMO, and even in that case someone will hack it 5 minutes later.

smr00

Banned
I doubt it.

Microsoft is in the business of making money, why would they alienate some of their biggest if not their biggest user base which is W7? Even if they do something this incredibly stupid i am sure someone will find a way to patch it/hack it day of release.

There is absolutely 0 reason for it not to work on W7.

KingKong

Valve should really implement background rotation, currently having more than one background seems pointless

Also I keep buying emoticons, they're so cheap! I spent like 30 cents and got 5 emoticons

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I doubt it.

Microsoft is in the business of making money, why would they alienate some of their biggest if not their biggest user base which is W7? Even if they do something this incredibly stupid i am sure someone will find a way to patch it/hack it day of release.

There is absolutely 0 reason for it not to work on W7.
To force people to upgrade their OS, like they did with Vista and DirectX 10.

So I was asking around about Swapper specs.

One response said I wouldn't be able to play because the game doesn't support Intel integrated graphics. Is that true?

And is there a demo online anywhere? Would love to at least try and see how performance is

smr00

Banned
To force people to upgrade their OS, like they did with Vista and DirectX 10.
A controller isn't going to force very many people.

I would rather keep using my perfectly fine 360 controller. Or PS3 controller or Razer onza controller or the box full of other controllers i can use on my PC.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

In the absolute worst-case scenario I can only forsee Microsoft making the updated Xinput API Win8-exclusive (meaning the X1 controller would still work just fine as an X360 controller on older operating systems), but even this I don't consider a distinct possibility; the current coaxing method of restricting newer revisions of DirectX to Win8 makes far more sense.

Fox318

Picked up Fez during the gog sale.

I have to say as stupid as it may be the trading cards are a great incentive to stay on the steam ecosystem.

Ka1ciuM

Neo Member
Due too the Sun actually coming out this weekend in the UK I've splashed allot of £££ on things NOT related to steam (I could hear my PC crying) so IF the sale does kick off this week my wallet wont be ready for the damage it could receive Grrrr.

Can I also ask to join the official NeoGaf group on Steam please

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Ka1ciuM

Glix

I'm so impressed with how easy it is to add non Steam games and how the overlay still works and everything.

Go Steam.

Munin

I wanna buy either Left 4 Dead 2 or Killing Floor. I tried Killing Floor, as it's free right now, and it seems fun enough, but also maybe something that would become boring pretty soon unless played in a LAN environment with lots of beer.

It feels like a really polished mod from circa 2004, which it is, I guess, just not sure about the staying power.

How's L4D2? Any better?

The community sucks : very hostile , full of rage quitters and hostile to noobs. Best to play with friends to get experience and have fun.

I agree. Surprisingly shitty experience, I bought the bundle when it was on sale couple of months ago. Most of the times I would wait 15 minutes to find a game, just to be team killed by someone on purpose. I played it for like 10 hours and could finish only one or two games. The game itself was good but useless if not played with friends.

Volotaire

I wanna buy either Left 4 Dead 2 or Killing Floor. I tried Killing Floor, as it's free right now, and it seems fun enough, but also maybe something that would become boring pretty soon unless played in a LAN environment with lots of beer.

It feels like a really polished mod from circa 2004, which it is, I guess, just not sure about the staying power.

How's L4D2? Any better?

No point in l4D1, All l4d1 content has been brought into l4d2 now.

Moreover the community for L4D1 now is pitifully low compared to l4d2

And I will warn this to anyone planning on l4d2 online (the main component of L4d series):

The community sucks : very hostile , full of rage quitters and hostile to noobs. Best to play with friends to get experience and have fun.
I agree. Surprisingly shitty experience, I bought the bundle when it was on sale couple of months ago. Most of the times I would wait 15 minutes to find a game, just to be team killed by someone on purpose. I played it for like 10 hours and could finish only one or two games. The game itself was good but useless if not played with friends.

here should be a disclaimer in all steam threads just for this. I'm serious.

Because it's bad when you're new, really bad. It sucks.

And you're right about finding lobbies, if a team loses the first round, when one or two rage quit, everyone does, rinse and repeat for about 4 or 5 games, you've waited an hour for a proper game.

Best to join quick games, and even then, there will still be pubs, rages and all sorts.

The thing is, if you can get good or play with friends, it's an extremely satisfying game. One of my favourite multiplayer games.

If anyone was put off by L4D's community and still wanted some monster killing survival, the people on Killing Floor are pretty chill. Just stay in the appropriate difficulty for your level range and you'll have a good time.

Nabs

Why don't you guys just play together. There will be plenty of new players this week, just pick it up and play some.

Quake1028

Got 20 hours out of my $6.79 copy of Virtua Tennis 4, and that's after I already got around 15 hours out of the Vita version. Really good game, especially for people who got it for less than $2.50 from GMG. The achievements are borked though.

Volotaire

If anyone was put off by L4D's community and still wanted some monster killing survival, the people on Killing Floor are pretty chill. Just stay in the appropriate difficulty for your level range and you'll have a good time.

Yep surprisingly, Killing Floor, although I only played it for a few hours, is pretty relaxed and cool. Although there were some weird game design issues I had to get used to.

Addnan

So I was just thinking, Weeklong Deals are going to either confirm whether we're getting a summer sale this week or not, right? No need to wait for Midweek Deals.
There hasn't been a big sale since week longs started, so there's no precedent to base that on!

It makes sense though.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
So I was just thinking, Weeklong Deals are going to either confirm whether we're getting a summer sale this week or not, right? No need to wait for Midweek Deals.

I don't think there's any question whether the sale is this week or not. It's the only week that makes sense.

Grief.exe

Yes great advice. I hate when noobs show up in a hard game or higher.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Why don't you guys just play together. There will be plenty of new players this week, just pick it up and play some.

Left 4 Dead is like High School: when you're there from the beginning to the end, you'll meet a lot of the people who you'll consider friends for life. However, if you transferred in at the end of Senior year after taking a few years off, you'll probably be making this face a lot:

s9EYMRI.jpg

sibarraz

Banned
Got 20 hours out of my $6.79 copy of Virtua Tennis 4, and that's after I already got around 15 hours out of the Vita version. Really good game, especially for people who got it for less than $2.50 from GMG. The achievements are borked though.

I bought the game too, so far I'm enjoying it, also I had the luck that my local arcade has the 4 player cabinet

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
so what happened too the week long deals they started doing ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom