• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements/Updates 2013 - Summer sale start date? No one knows, don't ask

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sothpaw

I don't own the first Half Life, is Black Mesa an acceptable substitute?

Edit: question answered apparently!

No no. Play Half Life: Source first. Mess with Black Mesa only after playing HL Source. BM is missing an entire part of the game. Not the best part, but no reason to not play it. Also play Opposing Foece and Blue Shift.

Digoman

Question about Half Life 2. Is it necessary to have played the first one? Is it a direct continuation. I'm finally playing it and it feels like I'm skipped the first half of a book. Unless it supposed to be like that, which is just as awesome.

First, HL1 is awesome and you should play it. Of course, it's really old now, so maybe play the Black Mesa Mod that remakes part of it.

That being said, HL2 is a direct continuation, but there is a "timeskip" between them and just as the player, the main character is learning what happened during this period, so you can enjoy it just fine without having played the first.

I'm looking for some TPS to pick up during the Summer Sale, anybody got some advices ? Just as a pointer, I hate cover based third person shooters unless there's something else to it (for example I thought Uncharted was okay because of the locations and characters, on the other hand I found Gears to be uninteresting).

Thanks !

EDIT :
List of TPS/games that have a slight TPS aspect that I have played on PC :
- Max Payne series
- Resident Evil series
- Mass Effect series
- Alan Wake series
- Dead Space series
- Every GTA-like (ie Saints Row, Sleeping Dogs, GTA games, Just Cause, etc.)
- Binairy Domain
- Warhammer Space Marine
- Lost Planet 1&2
- Spec Ops
- Stranger's Wrath
- R6 Vegas 2

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
25% is not like a Steam sale though, its not ridiculously discounted. Which is what I thought he was looking for.

Fair enough but there will be discounts. Especially on announcers which is what he asked about. I think they were 33% off.

Sothpaw

I'm looking for some TPS to pick up during the Summer Sale, anybody got some advices ? Just as a pointer, I hate cover based third person shooters unless there's something else to it (for example I thought Uncharted was okay because of the locations and characters, on the other hand I found Gears to be uninteresting).

Thanks !

Max Payne 3? Haven't played it yet so not too sure. Mass Effect series is by far my favorite tps but the third game is Origin exclusive.

Half Life 2 going on sale right before the big summer sale can only mean one thing ...

Hope you guys saved your Mystery trading cards instead of selling them. You never know what they could be for ...

catabarez

So I was idling Alan Wake to get my cards out of the way and two of the four turned out to be foil cards. Already paid back what I spent on the mystery cards.

Grief.exe

omg i got a Mystery foil card

I don't know what to do with it! Sell or keep? D:

Wait for tomorrow or Thursday to see if the value sky rockets.

So I was idling Alan Wake to get my cards out of the way and two of the four turned out to be foil cards. Already paid back what I spent on the mystery cards.

That is pretty awesome.

Too bad it didn't happen before the market fell apart, then you would be rolling in dough.

Echoplx

An update for anyone curious, I just got a reply to my request to have games removed from my account

Hello Zac,

Thank you for contacting Steam Support.

As requested, I have removed the subscription(s) from your account.

Please note, if you would like to play the game(s) removed by Steam Support in the future, you will need to re-purchase the game(s) - CD Keys and Steam purchases cannot be added to or moved to another account.

If you have any further difficulty, please let us know - we will be happy to assist you.

Took 2 days and didn't have to send anything beyond that original message.

I used this as a guide for sending the message

dot

Max Payne 3? Haven't played it yet so not too sure. Mass Effect series is by far my favorite tps but the third game is Origin exclusive.

This. Max Payne 3 is excellent, definitely check it out. The original Max Payne games from Remedy are also pretty good, but haven't aged particularly well. I'd also recommend Alan Wake, one of my favorite games from this gen.

Oh, and the Mass Effect series. And Dead Space 1&2.

Sothpaw

Half Life 2 going on sale right before the big summer sale can only mean one thing.

Hope you guys saved your Mystery trading cards instead of selling them. You never know what they could be for ...

Those cards have an actual function? I figured they were just like achievements. Or is this just speculation??

At this point the only thing I care about is my "10 years service" badge. Rarest of the rare.

Those cards have an actual function? I figured they were just like achievements. Or is this just speculation??

At this point the only thing I care about is my "10 years service" badge. Rarest of the rare.

People have been speculating it's either something to do with a card update or they'll be an integral part of a summer sale meta-game. I have no idea what they are but I'm keeping the one I got just in case.

Exeunt

So now that I have 'em both, would you guys say there's any benefit to playing Deus Ex before Half-Life, or vice versa? I know they're kind of opposite in design (linear versus open), but I was wondering if you old schoolers had an opinion.

Yeah Max Payne 3 was very enjoyable despite the invasive, unskippable cutscenes that are really annoying when you're replaying the game again. I've also beaten ME1, I'll probably get to ME2 when my backlog will get a bit shorter, thanks.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
So now that I have 'em both, would you guys say there's any benefit to playing Deus Ex before Half-Life, or vice versa? I know they're kind of opposite in design (linear versus open), but I was wondering if you old schoolers had an opinion.
Deus Ex.
Alway's Deus Ex.

Half-Life's pretty great, but yeah.
It ain't Deus Ex. That enough reason.

Actually i uhh... couldn't care less about Half Life. *hides*

Switchblade.gif

Edit: Add in my recommendation for Max Payne 3, on my seventh playthough. It's just an incredible blast, the shooting mechanics and reactions just make it near endlessly replayable. The major issue though is the unskippable cutscenes(arcade mode helps by splitting the levels, but often still has a few), something of which I thought would be changed for the PC version. Will also add after playing so many times that the level with the damn boat chase is so awful.

Grief.exe

Actually i uhh... couldn't care less about Half Life. *hides*

iCY1t3Qfl5MCP.jpg

I started replaying HL2 and all I can think is "LOOK AT ALL THE STRAFEJUMPING SHITS I GIVE".

Jump jump jump jump jump jump

lol I'm playing Hard Reset right now and that is exactly how I would describe the gameplay.

Deus Ex

Half-Life is great, but the gameplay doesn't quite hold up as well. I would recommend trying System Shock 2 as well.

sibarraz

Banned
I will play HL for the first time ever, I guess that I could be in a decent position to tell if the game is timeless classic or just a classic since I will not be with the nostalgia glasses

Grief.exe

Add in my recommendation for Max Payne 3, on my seventh playthough. It's just an incredible blast, the shooting mechanics and reactions just make it near endlessly replayable. The major issue though is the unskippable cutscenes(arcade mode helps by splitting the levels, but often still has a few), something of which I thought would be changed for the PC version. Will also add after playing so many times that the level with the damn boat chase is so awful.

There is definitely something broken about the PC version of Max Payne 3.

Even if you have the game on an SSD, it still takes forever to load. They probably just have it set to run a certain length of time before it will even allow you to skip. Some kind of hard lock out to prevent errors.

It's useful information regardless of why certain crazy people might want it :p

It is, especially considering we were working on the knowledge that there was no way to remove a game from your library.

Exeunt

Deus Ex.
Alway's Deus Ex.

Half-Life's pretty great, but yeah.
It ain't Deus Ex. That enough reason.

Deus Ex

Half-Life is great, but the gameplay doesn't quite hold up as well. I would recommend trying System Shock 2 as well.

Thanks, guys. I was leaning towards Deus Ex anyway, so I should finally get a chance to play it this evening.

And Grief... "try System Shock 2"?!? My avatar change must've thrown you! I looved SS2.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Have fun!

ModBot said:
I am giving away 15 Steam keys.To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker--five or fewer posts in the Steam thread--you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last week, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Titan Quest DE -- MB-62B64F638E1A65A0 - Taken by JBourne
Aquaria -- MB-B821B81AE9F9519F
GRID 2 -- MB-DE523472847DED6B - Taken by YianGaruga
Plain Sight -- MB-6C4A6A570E9A3F49
Men of War -- MB-BCC2F8B39E26BDBF - Taken by DirtRiver
The Binding of Isaac & Wrath of the Lamb -- MB-948C0B7484412CA4 - Taken by Overdoziz
Splinter Cell Conviction & Splinter Cell Blacklist: Digital Deluxe Edition (UPlay http://shop.ubi.com/NVIDIASCBL) -- MB-0F407B84B237056B - Taken by graywolf323
Droplitz -- MB-F7EB7B9BE3A71A55
Saints Row: The Third DE -- MB-CEDCC8CC05F86184 - Taken by sibarraz
GRID -- MB-1A535D2353A91111 - Taken by SmarterUnconscious
Gish -- MB-8DBB5E38C3A27DDF - Taken by Knurek
Cave Story Plus -- MB-78A3C3EE20C12256 - Taken by PetriP-TNT
Fractal -- MB-812AB189C39EB2AD
Nightsky -- MB-F8A4F09A36830E05 - Taken by KMD
Waking Mars -- MB-8B385A2B90380694 - Taken by CosmicQueso

Curse you, ModBot! I had everything in a nice alphabetical list, and you changed Cave Story+ to Cave Story Plus

Ezra2680

Any chance that Mod Bot will be modified to be able to send those steamgift email links before the end of the Summer Sale? Thinking about stocking up on a few games to give away.

Got Cave Story Plus, thanks a ton AndyBNV! I beat the last boss for my ex-GF like 2 years ago and been itching to play it completely since!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom