• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements/Updates 2013 - Summer sale start date? No one knows, don't ask

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mordeccai

Someone grab XCOM quick, picked that game up from the Amazon sale and omg. Its great. Total noob to strategy games here and I spent a good 40 hours in it.

Especially with The Bureau coming out soon. Now that looks hot. Can't wait for some TPS XCOM.

Grief.exe

Enemy Unknown is the game that got me into turn based tactical strategy. It has a very special place in my collection

Anyone who grabs it, you're in for a treat

Check out Final Fantasy Tactics and Fire Emblem series (Except DS version)

And you might want to take a look at Civ V. Not quite the same genre, but I would say XCOM and Fire Emblem are gateway drugs to Civ.

Vecks

Consider that Dota 2, even in its beta, is the most popular on Steam ever.

True. However, during the beta, all you needed to do was buy an invite to start playing. From the way it's written, it sounds like no matter what everyone has to go through a queue. Probably won't take that long to get through, but I still find it odd that it'd be easier to get in during the beta.

Especially they need to ramp up for asian infrastructure expansion

There's also the little fact that the game hasn't launched in China and Korea yet, where MOBAs are very popular.

So it's possible that it's more of a regional queue? Well, I'm curious to see how Dota 2 will do in asia. MOBAs are such endlessly replayable games with so much to learn that I personally like to stick to one. It feels like a hassle to learn how to play another one.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Flags giveaway as no lurkers, key gets given to a non member.

9250346951_243d141980_o.gif

Ah well, thus are the dangers of mod bot I suppose.

Check out Final Fantasy Tactics and Fire Emblem series (Except DS version)

And you might want to take a look at Civ V. Not quite the same genre, but I would say XCOM and Fire Emblem are gateway drugs to Civ.
Actually I prefer small squad, modern weaponry tactical strategy. That's what I liked about Enemy Unknown. It was just your squad, you had to consider line of sight, flanking, covering your allies, finding good cover, breaching rooms. Very intimate. Large scale war strategy never really spoke to me.

I guess the old school Rainbow Six games would be right up my alley

Edit: wait, are the SWAT games on Steam? I always wanted to play them, but never could

Flags giveaway as no lurkers, key gets given to a non member.

9250346951_243d141980_o.gif

Ah well, thus are the dangers of mod bot I suppose.
Damn, i realized it after getting the key. If you're inclined, when the sale starts, i'll buy Xcom or some other game, and giveaway here.

I really dun goofed. fuck.

Im_Special

I'm guessing Valve hasn't flipped this not Beta Dota2 switch yet, because my game folder still points to Steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 beta.

Dawg

Damn, i realized it after getting the key. If you're inclined, when the sale starts, i'll buy Xcom(depending on the price), or some other game, and giveaway here(or for you).

I really dun goofed. fuck.

To be honest, I don't mind a junior member winning a key. It's just that you're giving it to a friend, and that's not really nice for the rest of the people in this thread :p

Razorskin

----- ------
600 word original essays to any steam key giveaway applicants, with 5 member panel to review each entry. Key to member demonstrating the most need.

To be honest, I don't mind a junior member winning a key. It's just that you're giving it to a friend, and that's not really nice for the rest of the people in this thread :p

Exactly, maybe there were other people (members) who really wanted to play it...
that's exactly why i'm saying that i'll giveaway it here if you guys think it's necessary. Just after doing saw that i've done something really stupid.

mbmonk

Oh man XCOM giveaway? The game is awesome, just started playing it.

I am waiting for the Steam Sale, or for it to come back around on Amazon's Summer Sale, if I can find someone to split the fireaxis pack with.

I played the demo and the game really does seem deep and challenging.

CAN'T...... WAIT!

Dawg

Well, at least he was honest about giving it to a friend and he also promised us he would give XCOM away during the sale.

That's a lot less worse than a random lurker stealing it.

Well, at least he was honest about giving it to a friend and he also promised us he would give XCOM away during the sale.

That's a lot less worse than a random lurker stealing it.

Hell, i would even buy it at full price if you guys deemed it necessary. I mean, i don't want to buy it full price, but it's not like i don't deserve it.

Xanathus

Is there a reason ModBot doesn't have a MEMBERSONLY restriction option? It seems like it's almost always a junior who breaks the rules of that "take one, give one" thread or was found to be simply sucking up keys given out in the Steam thread.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Is there a reason ModBot doesn't have a MEMBERSONLY restriction option? It seems like it's almost always a junior who breaks the rules of that "take one, give one" thread or was found to be simply sucking up keys given out in the Steam thread.

As an admin I can't in good conscience endorse treating junior members differently before they've done anything wrong, fullstop. NOLURKERS is intended to knock out the worst hit-and-run stuff. I'd be up for other rules that would be valuable to people but I want new people to be able to enter this community and feel welcome and not have to run out a countdown clock to be able to fully participate.

Damn, so the SWAT games aren't on Steam. Only other game like it I could find, the Greenlight game Door Kickers, which is like Frozen Synapse meets SWAT and is totally awesome (I've played the demo) and the Rainbow Six Collection

Any other games like that? First or third person, planning breaches, entries, strategies, clearing rooms, working with your squad, slow tactical pace, etc.?

Damn, so the SWAT games aren't on Steam. Only other games like it I could find are the Greenlight game Door Kickers, which is like Frozen Synapse meets SWAT and is totally awesome (I've played the demo) and the Rainbow Six Collection

Any other games like that? First or third person, planning breaches, entries, strategies, clearing rooms, working with your squad, slow tactical pace, etc.?

Was looking for this game on steam too. I borrowed a copy from the library and loved the gameplay...but GOG seems like my only other option for a digital copy
Rainbow Six Collection might be good. Never played them. Is every game in the bundle worth playing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom