• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 V - Message Modbot for Good Time 1-800-555-READOP

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Who shuts down Joss Whedon? Would have loved to see here as Scarlet Witch.

Oh, I meant she denied that she'd been offered the role, despite Whedon's purported intentions.

Short question: When I wanted to start watching Saoirse movies now, what would you recommend to watch first, JaseC?

In terms of her performances, I'd say:
The Lovely Bones > Atonement > Hanna > Byzantium > The Way Back > Death Defying Acts > The Host > City of Ember > I Could Never Be Your Woman > The Christmas Miracle of Johnathan Toomey (she only has a few scenes in this)

In terms of how the films fair overall, I'd say:
Atonement > Hanna > The Way Back > Byzantium > The Lovely Bones > City of Ember > Death Defying Acts > I Could Never Be Your Woman > The Christmas Miracle of Johnathan Toomey > The Host

I actually haven't seen all of Arrietty and the last time I thought to watch it, I couldn't find my BD. Violet & Daisy, after experiencing a rough ride, had a limited theatrical run in the US in June but isn't releasing on BD until November, so I haven't had the chance to see it. Her next film is How I Live Now, which releases in the UK in October and in the US some time in Autumn -- I'm looking forward to it as apparently the book isn't half bad and the adaptation is reportedly quite dark.

Thinly veiled defensive post?

Anyway, I signed up because many forums I used before had actual intelligent discussions about games.

I don't care for your tone. If all you're going to offer is thinly-veiled insults then I'd prefer it if you didn't post anything at all.

Anyway, I signed up because many forums I used before had actual intelligent discussions about games.

We still have those, just depends who you're talking to. Some people strictly talk games, others have a wider range of interests.

Tellaerin

And you'll find that here in spades. The "Saoirse Appreciation Society" is just us having a bit of good-natured fun - sorry if that puts you off. : /

Eanan

I don't care for your tone. If all you're going to offer is thinly-veiled insults then I'd prefer it if you didn't post anything at all.

Wait what? I wasn't insulting you.

I asked was it a thinly veiled defensive post as he asked "why did you sign up then?" out of the blue, quoting my post which was in jest.

And i answered saying that forums I used to frequent before didn't have much intelligent discussions on games.

Not sure how you interpreted that as an insult.

We still have those, just depends who you're talking to. Some people strictly talk games, others have a wider range of interests.
And you'll find that here in spades. The "Saoirse Appreciation Society" is just us having a bit of good-natured fun - sorry if that puts you off. : /

Oh it seems people misinterpreted what I said. perhaps its the irish sarcasm, I dont know, but I wasn't insulting anyone and saying that there isn't intelligent discussion here. Its actually the opposite what I was saying. This thread is probably the best thread ive come across here since ive joined.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Earlier in the year there was a rumour floating around that she was Whedon's "prototype" for Scarlet Witch; Saoirse said that she'd like to do it, but when later rumours suggested that she had been offered the role, she shot them down.

"Obsessed" is such a strong word. I prefer "enthusiastic". ;)

Just a friendly reminder Jase, those court orders aren't just meaningless pieces of paper.

Acccent

Oh it seems people misinterpreted what I said. perhaps its the irish sarcasm, I dont know, but I wasn't insulting anyone and saying that there isn't intelligent discussion here. Its actually the opposite what I was saying. This thread is probably the best thread ive come across here since ive joined.

You actually forgot a word in your previous post, so it sounds like you're saying "at least other forums had some intelligent discussion, while this one has none"

JaseC

Just a friendly reminder Jase, those court orders aren't just meaningless pieces of paper.

Do you think I'd be let off the hook if I explain that my dog really did eat them? He's fond of paper! :p

Wait what? I wasn't insulting you.

I said thinly veiled defensive post as he asked "why did you sign up then?" out of the blue.

And i said because forums I used before didnt have much intelligent discussions on games.

Not sure how you interpreted that as an insult.

Oh, I see. Sorry for the misunderstanding, but in my defence you seem to have misspoken in your earlier post (hence the emphasis):

I interpreted it to mean that you signed up here expecting the same level of discourse, but have since found yourself disappointed.

zkylon

zkylewd
seems like I've riled up the people

sweet

also there's nothing thinly veiled about me >:)

Atonement > Hanna > The Way Back > Byzantium > The Lovely Bones > City of Ember > Death Defying Acts > I Could Never Be Your Woman > The Christmas Miracle of Johnathan Toomey > The Host

she's in city of ember?

weird

I don't think I could watch atonement in my lifetime

something about it just ughhh

Eanan

You actually forgot a word in your previous post, so it sounds like you're saying "at least other forums had some intelligent discussion, while this one has none"

Oh I see where the misunderstanding came from.

Damn autocorrect, replace "had" with "hadn't" and you will see what I originally meant to say.

masterkajo

Oh, I meant she denied that she'd been offered the role, despite Whedon's purported intentions.

In terms of her performances, I'd say:
The Lovely Bones > Atonement > Hanna > Byzantium > The Way Back > Death Defying Acts > The Host > City of Ember > I Could Never Be Your Woman > The Christmas Miracle of Johnathan Toomey (she only has a few scenes in this)

I actually haven't seen all of Arrietty and the last time I thought to watch it, I couldn't find my BD. Violet & Daisy, after experiencing a rough ride, had a limited theatrical run in the US in June but isn't releasing on BD until November, so I haven't had the chance to see it. Her next film is How I Live Now, which releases in the UK in October and in the US some time in Autumn -- I'm looking forward to it as apparently the book isn't half bad and the adaptation is reportedly quite dark.

Wow thanks for the detailed listings. I now know what to watch for the next months. Let's see her in action then. I know I like her voice and accent already as I have heard an interview with her recently.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Why do people think Titanfall has any hope of releasing on Steam? What was the last major EA release to do so?

JaseC

Why do people think Titanfall has any hope of releasing on Steam? What was the last major EA release to do so?

It's an EA Partners game, which have a history of releasing on Steam. The only exceptions are:

Hellgate: London: A multi-publisher mess which died a quick death.
Crysis 3: No signs of it coming to Steam yet, but Crysis 2 re-appeared as a "Maximum Edition", inclusive of all DLC, so there's a good chance it'll do the same.
Syndicate 2012: Even more of an outlier considering Syndicate is an EA-owned IP.

Additionally, Respawn didn't outright deny a Steam release when asked about it.

Milamber

Current Source Engine Games...

Age of Chivalry
Alien Swarm
Blade Symphony
Bloody Good Time
The Crossing
Contagion
Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
The Crossing (video game)
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic
Day of Defeat: Source
Dear Esther
The DinoHunters
Dino D-Day
D.I.P.R.I.P. Warm Up
Dogfights: The Game
Dota 2
E.Y.E.: Divine Cybermancy
Garry's Mod
Half-Life 2
Half-Life 2: Episode One
Half-Life 2: Episode Two
Half-Life 2: Lost Coast
Hybrid
Insurgency
Kuma\War
Left 4 Dead
Left 4 Dead 2
NeoTokyo
Nuclear Dawn
Pirates, Vikings and Knights II
Portal
Portal 2
Postal III
Revelations 2012
The Ship
SiN Episodes
The Stanley Parable: HD Remix
Sting: The Secret Operations
Tactical Intervention
Team Fortress 2
They Hunger: Lost Souls
Titanfall
Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines
Vindictus
Zeno Clash

JaseC

hmm guess you're right

wishful thinking I guess

Despite history suggesting a Steam release is likely, I'm nonetheless conflicted due to the simple fact that this is the first EAP game EA has cared to market, and market strenuously at that. Given EA's rather petulant Steam exit, "Hey, guys, we'll actually put our marketing muscle behind your game if you agree to forgo a Steam release!" is entirely within the realm of possibility.

liezryou

Either way whether it's on steam or not, much like BF3 and BF4, i am going to buy titanfall. There are some games just worth putting up with the shit of a program they call origin.

Xanathus

Can anyone tell me how much is Dead Space 3's Awakened DLC in the Origin client in your region? It looks like it's 50% off right now for me (SGD 6.45) and I'm reaaaaaaally tempted to buy it.

JaseC

Can anyone tell me how much is Dead Space 3's Awakened DLC in the Origin client? It looks like it's 50% off right now for me (SGD 6.45) and I'm reaaaaaaally tempted to buy it.

It's half off here also ($4.99).

Edit: "Here" being Australia.

Kifimbo

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg

Scratches: Director's Cut -- MB-9DA3E7283ED724BA

zkylon

zkylewd
Despite history suggesting a Steam release is likely, I'm nonetheless conflicted due to the simple fact that this is the first EAP game EA has cared to market, and market strenuously at that. Given EA's rather petulant Steam exit, "Hey, guys, we'll actually put our marketing muscle behind your game if you agree to forgo a Steam release!" is entirely within the realm of possibility.
something about the infinity ward guys leaving actiblizz after years of dealing with strings attached high profile development going right back into it with ea rings kinda ironic to me

Acccent

Alright I just encountered my first seemingly insurmountable enemy in Dark Souls. I might be missing something because it is pretty fucking hard and up until now I was doing fine.

The Four Kings.

JakeD

pretty impressed with the new groupees bundle. eador and ittle dew are both new and i've been wanting the whispered world for a while now (trying to complete the daedalic collection despite the fact i haven't actually played through any of them)

FloatOn

Alright I just encountered my first seemingly insurmountable enemy in Dark Souls. I might be missing something because it is pretty fucking hard and up until now I was doing fine.

The Four Kings.

what type of build are you?

on my first play through I just tanked them and beat them on my first try.

if you put on full havels gear and have a decent +15 weapon it shouldn't be so bad. Just kill them fast.

Slyjss

The Four Kings.

It's a "damage race". Forget about your shield ant attack them two-handed. Stay VERY close to them and roll to avoid attacks. You should have time to use Estus Flask. The most important thing is deal damage as fast as you can, don't stop. If I remember correctly, their weakness is fire.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Just a heads up:

The new Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 gamescom trailer is largely the same as the one shown during E3 (meaning, still very spoilery if you haven't played Lords of Shadow 1 yet) but it also has an additional 20 seconds or so at the end featuring another minor spoiler.
Thanks for the tip. I'll avoid it then. Hate it when this kind of shit happens.

To be fair, no one cares about the Syndicate reboot.
I do. I'd like to play it.

Acccent

what type of build are you?

on my first play through I just tanked them and beat them on my first try.

if you put on full havels gear and have a decent +15 weapon it shouldn't be so bad. Just kill them fast.

Full dex, I use a Balder sword. I have like 30 in HP and Endurance, and probably 40 in Dexterity right now. Nothing in the other stats except maybe a couple points in strength.
I'm using the Crest shield against them to block off their magic attacks.

It's a "damage race". Forget about your shield ant attack them two-handed. Stay VERY close to them and roll to avoid attacks. You should have time to use Estus Flask. The most important thing is deal damage as fast as you can, don't stop. If I remember correctly, their weakness is fire.
I do constantly manage to kill the first one before the second one appears, but it's all downhill from there :D

Full dex, I use a Balder sword. I have like 30 in HP and Endurance, and probably 40 in Dexterity right now. Nothing in the other stats except maybe a couple points in strength.

I do constantly manage to kill the first one before the second one appears, but it's all downhill from there :D

A few more hints:
- Their damage is for some reason based on proximity, meaning the closer you are to them, the less damage they deal to you
- Wear armor with lots of poise and defense (Stone or Havel) and don't worry about dodging too much, just tank all their hits and deal damage as fast as you can
- Use the Grass Crest Shield or eat the Grass that speeds up Stamina regenration

masterkajo

Use your strongest weapon, equip a good armor (I used Stone Armor which can be found in Darkroot Garden) and get close to the first king fast. Then just hack away at him until your stamina is empty. By this time you should have gotten quite some damage but still live. So use the time that your stamina needs to recover to heal up and then attack again. I just did this with a SL25 character b/c I want to coop with a friend and can't level up to stay in coop range. It was very close but I manged to do it. Rinse and repeat for all 4 kings. A small pro tip: If you hack away at a dying king the boss health bar at the bottom still depletes so theoretically if you deal a third of a kings damage extra to each of the first three the last one won't show up.

For reasons unclear I just got a second free copy of "edge" in my inventory.

(Steam Gift, not code)

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg

Edge -- MB-94D3A367F1EA32AE - Taken by YianGaruga

The puzzle game edge, no sharks sorry!

krumble

Current Source Engine Games...

Age of Chivalry
Alien Swarm
Blade Symphony
Bloody Good Time
The Crossing
Contagion
Counter-Strike: Global Offensive