• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 V - Message Modbot for Good Time 1-800-555-READOP

Status
Not open for further replies.

chugen

have fun

Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away 20 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Alien Shooter 2 Conscription -- MB-CB9FC5DB2224CF79 - Taken by The Super Bob
Botanicula -- MB-290F4C3B4317E853 - Taken by bobnowhere
Vigil: Blood Bitterness -- MB-6AE78D930305F854 - Taken by FloatingDivider
RIP Trilogy -- MB-597CB154B794D111 - Taken by C00kie M0nster
Post Apocalyptic Mayhem -- MB-666CE4AA85158C79 - Taken by crimsonheadGCN
Alien Shooter -- MB-0B321169C2445886 - Taken by Kifimbo
Avencas Rise of the Mage -- MB-307441D9CDA5D5CF - Taken by Servizio
Pacific Storm -- MB-C1B531CCDD9CFA45 - Taken by PorkWing
Thomas Was Alone -- MB-0BD62FE80145F863 - Taken by NaM
Robin Hood Legend of Sherwood -- MB-60BD3160873BE5F3 - Taken by DexterPepper
The Showdown Effect -- MB-18AFF37233632A3C - Taken by adaen
McPixel -- MB-E6AC75347500D995 - Taken by Rob N Banks
Depths of Peril -- MB-C8945B77E92CC9AC - Taken by Cyberquake
Ittle Dew -- MB-482A4F07996506A7 - Taken by didamangi
Scratches -- MB-03DC72563B5983DA - Taken by alr1ght
Eador -- MB-E78EBAD416A93735 - Taken by Archie
Mini Motor -- MB-73ACEC5CC52F9373 - Taken by chronomac
Angelica Weaver -- MB-919665DC58CE7591 - Taken by Terra_Ex
Alien Shooter 2 Reloaded -- MB-43CF97CA7AE38AAA - Taken by Pakkidis
The Whispered World -- MB-78DCA3EB962D65E8 - Taken by Motorbreath

Kacho

Holy shit guys. I don't know if this has already been reported or not.

Dark Souls registry entry added a beta depot late last night. It is called '8.21.13 Update' and it is locked behind a password.

Dark Souls has literally had one update since it was released, and the update occurred not long after the release date.

Well hot damn.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I recommended the same to my friends. The one level that really broke my back on hard was the level in the adoption home/hospital/church thing in Chicago. I ended up gunning my way through it and even then it took me way too many attempts due to the checkpoint system basically making a shoot-em-up run way harder than it needed to be.

I got through that level undetected. After like 2 hours of repetitive retries :/ Not enjoyable.

Climb up elevator shaft, walk behind two idiots, sneak around corner behind back of guys who are about to kneecap the security guard, move by top of stairs through to the room with the syringe and the first fuse. Reverse steps to beginning of segment, go down stairs (avoid guard who is entering chapel). Move left, throw a bible just to the right of the guard visible across the lobby. Sneak to second fuse which is on desk of lobby. Sneak back. Through chapel. Checkpoint at bottom of stairs. Hide, reading bible pamphlets, wait for idiots to walk past you. Climb through ventilation shaft. Wait for guard to walk by. Sneak through area where watch commander is yelling at idiots for being idiots. Drop into nursery, grab third fuse. Duck back through hall, sneak around corner. There's a room with a dumping box. Wait for a patrol guard to walk by, KO, steal disguise, dump body.

Enter pharmacy room--this is the most difficult. Hide at the very back of the room. Wait for the boss to arrive and sneak up to left side of second set of risers. There will be two guards who will criss-cross, you need to exploit the AI's cone-of-vision idiocy. When one guard goes right in front of the fuse, go to the other side of risers, grab fourth fuse. Be very careful when exiting. Sneak back through hallway (too many guards are now in the way you came).

Instead of going through chapel, go up the main staircase (near where the checkpoint was) and sneak back past the room where they interrogated the security guard. Then go down the staircase closest to the beginning of the level, turn left, fuse room, put in fuses.

*barfs*

If a person gives away multiple games in a lightning raffle, are we allowed to try for more than one?

If they turn on free-for-all, yes. If they don't, no. But when the raffle expires it'll switch to first-come-first-serve and if you didn't win what you wanted to win, you'll be free to claim something else.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
What if we send more than one PM? There are two in chugen's giveaway I'm interested in. That's all.

The rules for ModBot are:
- If you claim two games in one PM, the PM is ignored, period.
- If you send two separate PMs, only the first is allowed.
- If someone enables free-for-all, you will be able to send a second (and subsequent) PMs.

- If a raffle concludes anything is unclaimed, all the requests from losers for the raffled games are removed. The losers can then submit additional entries (1 if not free-for-all, as many as they like if free-for-all)

So when I put it in my cart it only shows that I'm buying Tropico reloaded. Do I just put my price up to 4.00 and then when the transaction is done I will get the whole bundle?

If you change the price to $5 while it's in your cart the description changes to include all the games.

Take them and be gone with you!

ModBot said:

I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg

Eador -- MB-B9A236F5FAFA0E15 - Taken by Aitor
Depths of Peril -- MB-B8CF707B0F0C07A9 - Taken by Out_Of_Ammo

Kabouter

I recommended the same to my friends. The one level that really broke my back on hard was the level in the adoption home/hospital/church thing in Chicago. I ended up gunning my way through it and even then it took me way too many attempts due to the checkpoint system basically making a shoot-em-up run way harder than it needed to be.

I do agree about the point about the challenges too. I felt like when I went back on normal to go through them I was seeing the levels in a new light. The number of things to find in even a simple level like the bar room brawl was staggering. I was kinda relieved that they didn't require 100% of all challenges for the achievement because there were still quite a few that had me stumped.

Yeah, I struggled a lot with that level, and warned stump about it before he started it. The problem with that level, outside of the fact that they force you to sneak is that the checkpoint is placed at the end of a very easy bit (unless you delay using it and double back like I did in the end), and then you have to complete a fairly lengthy sequence of sneaking around where you really can't make any mistakes whatsoever or you have to restart. Took me maybe an hour and a half in total, and very nearly made me give up on the game. That level was just really poor game design.

And as you say, I love all the challenges you have in some levels, some have so many different possibilities. The
county courthouse
later in the game is very good for that reason and the fact that you can mostly walk around freely.

Holy shit guys. I don't know if this has already been reported or not.

Dark Souls registry entry added a beta depot late last night. It is called '8.21.13 Update' and it is locked behind a password.

Dark Souls has literally had one update since it was released, and the update occurred not long after the release date.

S3ZTdLs.gif

Thanks chugen....

ModBot said:

I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:

header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg

Botanicula -- MB-4E13BBC3FFDC3122 - Taken by creamsugar
Thomas Was Alone -- MB-6F6C8F7FBAF2E922 - Taken by Mugatu
McPixel -- MB-DBAABDA072DD4383 - Taken by AlmostMilk

Grief.exe

I demand Grief's name be changed to Belief.exe.

That would actually be very appropriate lol

My initial predictions of the GFWL closure, Bioshock 2/Batman:AA/AC, and USFIV were all just pure speculation based on what is, essentially, circumstantial evidence.
It was a significant amount of circumstances that began to add up, but circumstantial nonetheless.

Belief.exe is very appropriate.

Grief.exe

So is GFWL related to netcode ? If FROM somehow patches it out does that mean that we might get better(or worse) netcode ?

Yes, GFWL handles the entire matchmaking system.

If From patches it out, I have a feeling they would either remove the online component entirely, or have an open test of their dedicated server component before Dark Souls 2 launch.

Of course, I doubt they would devote the resources necessary to fix the online component entirely before Dark Souls 2 is launched.

If From patches it out, I have a feeling they would either remove the online component entirely, or have an open test of their dedicated server component before Dark Souls 2 launch.

Of course, I doubt they would devote the resources necessary to fix the online component entirely before Dark Souls 2 is launched.

Allright, thanks.

Khronico

Hitman Absolution was such a disappointment, and I only paid $10 for it. I couldn't even bring myself to finish it.

I got it for free with ps+. If I hadn't already played all the previous games in the series and been a die hard fan, I would have liked it more. I still enjoyed it, despite some mind boggling design decisions (broken checkpoints, broken disguise system, linear stealth missions). If anything else, you gotta admit the game has gorgeous graphics. Dunno how the pc version is though, did someone fix that utterly retarded checkpoint system?

Grief.exe

Seriously, why doesn't Microsoft do a last day sale, every Microsoft published game discounted to $1?

They could look to earn upwards of several hundred thousand dollars, if not over a million. That may be a drop in the bucket to a huge corporation like Microsoft, but it would certainly grease the wheels a bit.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
So is GFWL related to netcode ? If FROM somehow patches it out does that mean that we might get better(or worse) netcode ?

GFWL handles the peer-to-peer matchmaking (and other stuff like achievements and the locking-down of save files but that's unrelated to the question at hand). So, in the case of Dark Souls, GFWL is responsible for connecting two players together for the purposes of summoning (a limited version of co-op) and invasions (player vs player).

There are mods on Dark Souls Nexus that improve the GFWL multiplayer implementation, but without that, it is notoriously fickle. Sometimes summon signs won't appear correctly, etc.

Steamworks can replace this functionality completely and it would be probably be significantly better.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

There is no reason Steamworks couldn't handle the P2P functionality.

Grief.exe

Steamworks can replace this functionality completely and it would be probably be significantly better.

There is no reason Steamworks couldn't handle the P2P functionality.

Yep

Multiplayer matchmaking

Steamworks' multiplayer back-end is powered by robust matchmaking and lobby technology. The same technology that drives the quick and accurate match-ups in Left 4 Dead can be used in your game. Works with both peer-to-peer and server-based games. Steamworks' built-in voice functionality enables players to work quickly to strategize their next misson.

Omega

Banned
Seriously, why doesn't Microsoft do a last day sale, every Microsoft published game discounted to $1?

They could look to earn upwards of several hundred thousand dollars, if not over a million. That may be a drop in the bucket to a huge corporation like Microsoft, but it would certainly grease the wheels a bit.

Microsoft doesn't want money from us filthy peasants

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Oh god the mechs in the XCOM expansion look amazingggggggg. So glad I held off on that second run of the game with the already released DLC I picked up on the summer sale.

gabbo

It wouldn't be the first time they've had sales like that, but they've always been completely out the blue with no prior warning. it's how I picked up AoE3 and Viva Pinata for $2 total.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom