• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 V - Message Modbot for Good Time 1-800-555-READOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question on cards.If i trade or sell a card that i have, will i be able to earn that same card again by playing or will i need to trade with someone or buy the card?

Copons

Uh, I just realized that Castle of Illusion is a Mickey Mouse game, while I always assumed it was Castlevania LoS.
I'm feeling super dumb, yay!

Copons

Question on cards.If i trade or sell a card that i have, will i be able to earn that same card again by playing or will i need to trade with someone or buy the card?

If you're out of automatic drops, you could get the same card when (if...) you drop a random booster pack of that game.

Nabs

1 day 21 hours here, durn. I shouldn't pick up more games at full price at the moment, but I've got a soft spot for CoI... I think it was one of the first 16-bit games I played, if not the first.

It looks like the timer has been pushed back a bit.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Apologies if I missed an earlier explanation but I've seen you state the same regarding difficulty on other "troubled" games and I'm curious why? Having recently beat Hitman Absolution and Dead Space 3 (and currently playing the recent Wolfenstein), the idea of playing through those games on a difficulty that would more significantly impede my ability to get to the good elements seems counter-intuitive, particularly when the game may not really be tuned for those difficulties and would result in disproportionate frustration (Hitman certainly created this scenario).

Easy is often tuned too far down to pose any challenge (which is fine and IMO how it should be) but I've played many flawed games where a "correct" difficulty didn't exist and you're left teetering between "a little easy for my tastes"-medium and "gun in mouth if I have to replay that section"-hard, in which case the former option at least lets you experience the content without pointlessly wasting hours of your life.

I play most games on the normal difficulty... so if there are three choices, the second of three, if there are four choices, I normally go with two or three depending on descriptors. If there are five choices, three or four. All the reviews for A:CM mentioned the enemy AI was braindead so I figured hard (3rd of 4) was a good choice to make it not a cakewalk. I do like being challenged. The checkpointing is quite poor, though, so that's a major disincentive to playing anything above easy. The boss fight which is by far the worst part of the game was actually altered in a patch to be even harder.

Hitman is a little different. The game groups its difficulty levels into gimp mode or actually playing Hitman mode. So I played on the easiest of the actually playing HItman difficulties. Hitman's problem is that sneaking-stealth just isn't enjoyable and instinct is basically broken as a game mechanic. Bring back my social stealth. But actually my save got corrupted 13 missions in so I'm probably going to replay on the easiest.

Grief.exe

So someone is working on a STALKER: SOC beta patch.

Previously, the most recent patch was 1.005, someone just updated a beta build on the registry titled, '1.006.'

wetflame

Pizza Dog
You have a chance to get duplicates whenever you get a card through drops or booster packs, whether you've sold or still got the card.

I play most games on the normal difficulty... so if there are three choices, the second of three, if there are four choices, I normally go with two or three depending on descriptors. If there are five choices, three or four. All the reviews for A:CM mentioned the enemy AI was braindead so I figured hard (3rd of 4) was a good choice to make it not a cakewalk. I do like being challenged. The checkpointing is quite poor, though, so that's a major disincentive to playing anything above easy. The boss fight which is by far the worst part of the game was actually altered in a patch to be even harder.

Hitman is a little different. The game groups its difficulty levels into gimp mode or actually playing Hitman mode. So I played on the easiest of the actually playing HItman difficulties. Hitman's problem is that sneaking-stealth just isn't enjoyable and instinct is basically broken as a game mechanic. Bring back my social stealth. But actually my save got corrupted 13 missions in so I'm probably going to replay on the easiest.
Fair enough, although in Hitman that delineation iirc didn't really exist between option 2 and 3. It LOOKED like it existed on the menu but in reality the 2nd difficulty semi-fixed the instinct mechanic (in that you only needed it for the rare multi-kill and disguises) and still let you play the challenges.

louiedog

It seems weird to put The 39 Steps on sale while it's still in a bundle. You can get it from Groupees for a dollar if you really want it.

Another great reason to use Enhanced Steam. It'll let you know when a game is currently available in a bundle.

dwa2EJd.png

Cth

I thought it was ok.. they nailed the ending, but I felt it dragged on too long, had some odd humor choices and borrowed too heavily from Eternal Sunshine.

I'll definitely check out the sequel.

S'weird.. I didn't have the same reaction to Gone Home either.. now Walking Dead on the other hand..

No reviews for outlast or amnesia yet right?

Both look strong, in different ways but I'm concerned about the amount of content, especially with outlast.

Really feeling the pinch from all the purchased games lately too. Getting a bit much :(

The_Monk

Alright my good fellow GAFfers, decided to start fresh (again) on Legend of Grimrock. Wish my luck!

Here's my gang for now:

cxwIO1F.png
jHPJ2B4.png
XY3uCrp.png

If this does not work I'm just going back to Organ Trail (play this game, good people) with a different GAF-Crew.

So I'm going to try out Sir, You're being Hunted! What should I expect and any tips?

I'm hoping this game just fills that void of fun I've been having. But yeah, I'm excited for it. I know nothing about it except robots chase you. And procedurally generated land.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Just completed To The Moon.

PySao4h.gif
Oh man, this game. So good. Never thought such a little game could be so powerful, but it is. Loved the writing, which at first I thought would be pretentious and ridiculous. But no, To the Moon hits you hard, but does it in a good way.

On a kinda similar note, I just played (and finished) Bit.Trip Flux on my 3DS, and it helped make the wait for the Steam release a little easier. That game is so satisfying, so finely crafted; everything fits perfectly. And unless I'm in the worst of moods (something that only happened once), it always manages to make me end up feeling a lot better. Sadly it isn't the same without the WiiMote vibration, and it won't be either playing with a mouse on PC (using the 360 gamepad would be too hard, just like in Beat).

Cheddahz

Banned
What time do pre-loaded games unlock? Rayman Legends comes out tomorrow and I want to be able to play it, even though I have classes literally all day

Grief.exe

I can honestly say that my hype for the sequel exceeds that of many long-standing franchises including GTAV, just the perfect game to play while curled up in your bed with a nice mug of hot cocoa.

Indie games have provided me far more enjoyment than AAA games have in recent memory.

Alright my good fellow GAFfers, decided to start fresh (again) on Legend of Grimrock. Wish my luck!

Here's my gang for now:

It'll work out. I've got this.

I remember playing Hotline Miami immediately after Tomb Raider, and surprised how not fun a multi-million budget AAA title is compared to an indie game.

I don't really see a difference between AAA and indie titles anymore. There are just good games and bad games, good devs and bad devs to me. I'm hoping the superior titles from smaller devs force bigger companies to lift their game. I think this is already somewhat evident with titles like The Last Of Us, which added a lot more "gameplay" than perhaps could have been expected.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I don't really see a difference between AAA and indie titles anymore. There are just good games and bad games, good devs and bad devs to me. I'm hoping the superior titles from smaller devs force bigger companies to lift their game. I think this is already somewhat evident with titles like The Last Of Us, which added a lot more "gameplay" than perhaps could have been expected.
I agree. It isn't either-or, nor us and them. They're all games, and I'm glad the two of them coexist. And even bad devs can make good games, and vice versa.

With that said, I'm gonna play me some Dust right now. And once I'm done with it (which may be in a few days or weeks or years, rate I've been playing lately), some Castlevania: LoS.

Ugh, 6 hours until Rome II and 16 until Rayman Legends. The latter has been out in Europe for several days and the former has no reason not come out at 12 Eastern or even Pacific. Why do you do this publishers :/

Jawmuncher

You know I agree with the whole idea that games are games we shouldn't look at them by their developer status.

But for me I just can't do that. There's always that line for me. I have to look at games as indie, smaller company, AAA company. Because for me that oddly enough lets me adapt for what I'm in for. I feel much more critical the higher the developer status.
In the end though it does just come down good games are good and good games are bad. Buy I don't see a problem in looking at who's behing said game either.

Kacho

I spent 40 hours playing Civ V in the last 3 days.

Haha

I put in about 20 hours this weekend after saying I'd only play for a couple hours to check out the new expansion.

Last night, I look at my watch and it's 2 AM. I look down again and it's 4 AM. Scary stuff.

derExperte

What exactly did they do... Your telling me PC gaming was better pre PSX ?

I wouldn't say the temporary decline started with the Playstation1, though it was sad when Psygnosis stopped doing PC ports in the late 90s before dying a slow death. But PC gaming became definitely worse than before for a while after MS decided to shift their focus to the Xbox, killing off their own PC studios in the process (which wasn't the only reason but didn't help).

Overdoziz

Banned
I love how PC has a healthy mix of AAA, retro and indie games. You see people complain about the state of gaming from time to time, but I honestly have little to complain about. The are so many games that I've recently played through that I enjoyed a lot while they all offer completely different experiences.

The Walking Dead, Hotline Miami, Bioshock Infinite, To The Moon, Arma 2/DayZ, Company of Heroes, Chivalry, Thomas Was Alone, Bastion, Limbo, Battlefield 3, The Darkness 2, Trials Evolution, Fallout New Vegas, Spec Ops: The Line, Lara Croft Guardian of Light, etc, etc.

And I still have a ton of games to play through.

Momentary

Banned
Damn it! I hate that when I set a game in a category it resets me on my gaming list; it sends me all the way back to the top. I love Steam... but it's small things like this that leaves me dumbfounded as to why it hasn't been remedied. They really need to streamline their categorizing methods.

Crayons

Banned
Haha

I put in about 20 hours this weekend after saying I'd only play for a couple hours to check out the new expansion.

Last night, I look at my watch and it's 2 AM. I look down again and it's 4 AM. Scary stuff.

I run the game at 8PM thinking to have some fun before I go to bed.
I Alt+Tab, it's noon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom