• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 V - Message Modbot for Good Time 1-800-555-READOP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melted77

Not sure if you understood me correctly
It will be a separate key, but the Desura key and Steam key are the same license (not sure if I used the same term). I checked La-Mulana in Desura, which I got from Groupees. The steam key in desura is same steam key in groupees

I see.

liezryou

Speaking of, I hope the game sharing feature goes live some time this year, as well as the ability to trade Steam Wallet funds; it'd be great to deal with traders without having to put up with PayPal's fees and egregious exchange rates.

There's no way steam would not take a cut of each trade (Or perhaps take a fee when u make wallet tradeable or something). You really think they would give up the massive amount of money they make from the market?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
There's no way steam would not take a cut of each trade (Or perhaps take a fee when u make wallet tradeable or something). You really think they would give up the massive amount of money they make from the market?

Why would Valve take a cut of Wallet funds traded between users? The money that's changing hands was already purchased either through Steam itself or an authorised third party (namely Gamestop/EB Games) and has to be spent on Steam as there are no export options. With the current system, Valve doesn't see a cent unless people are trading keys.

FloatOn

I'm sure this has asked before but can someone tell me if the walking dead 400 days is a separate game listing or do you have to install the whole game again to play it?

liezryou

Why would Valve take a cut of Wallet funds traded between users? The money that's changing hands was already purchased either through Steam itself or an authorised third party (namely Gamestop/EB Games) and has to be spent on Steam as there are no export options.

Essentially trading steam wallet will be eliminating the need for community market. If they put no fee [on steam wallet trading], there would be little to no reason for people to use [the community market] anymore except for very obscure things. Given the amount of money they make from the market, i highly doubt they are willing to jeopardize that.

IMO from a business point of view, there would be no reason to release a free way to trade steam wallet funds.

Like I've said before, I suspect WB will let the vanilla versions rot so as to coerce people into purchasing the GOTY flavours. The company did, after all, remove the individual pieces of City DLC when the GOTY version released, leaving those with City vanilla with no recourse but to purchase, essentially, a new game.

this is why I'm not going to buy Origins when it releases. As awesome as the first two games were/are, the inevitability of what you said makes the initial version pointless to own.

FYI for anyone interested in 400 days for TWD, it takes roughly an hour to get through. There are 5 short stories that vaguely tie into seasons one that you can get through in about 12-15 minutes. The choices don't hold much wait, sadly. Can't wait for season 2.

JaseC

Essentially trading steam wallet will be eliminating the need for community market. If they put no fee, there would be little to no reason for people to use it anymore except for very obscure things. Given the amount of money they make from the market, i highly doubt they are willing to jeopardize that.

IMO from a business point of view, there would be no reason to release a free way to trade steam wallet funds.

The Market would still exist and thrive for the simple fact that there are a multitude of other marketable items besides keys. Implementing Wallet trading would just be supplanting one Valve-sourced payment method (keys) for another (Steam Bucks) and, for regulars, also remove PayPal and its ilk from the equation (if I'm buying an $8 game from a trader, I wouldn't mind adding $10 to my Wallet as the $2 that would remain is money I'd be spending in the near future, anyway).

catabarez

Essentially trading steam wallet will be eliminating the need for community market. If they put no fee [on steam wallet trading], there would be little to no reason for people to use [the community market] anymore except for very obscure things. Given the amount of money they make from the market, i highly doubt they are willing to jeopardize that.

Wallet funds can only be used on Steam. They get money no matter what.

Zeknurn

It's sitting in my cart...

...but I think I'll wait until the Autumn Sale before deciding on whether or not to pull the trigger ($100 can go far during a sale, after all). Unless, of course, I land a better p/t job in the interim (a few nibbles in recent weeks but no bites :(), in which case I'll treat myself.

I'm surprised you didn't buy it when they accidentally put it on sale. It was in the whatever major sale that happened after they launched greenlight and I believe it was 50% off.

JaseC

I'm surprised you didn't buy it when they accidentally put it on sale. It was in the whatever major sale that happened after they launched greenlight and I believe it was 50% off.

Curse my ignorance!

this is why I'm not going to buy Origins when it releases. As awesome as the first two games were/are, the inevitability of what you said makes the initial version pointless to own.

I feel much the opposite. ;) Since I don't trust WB to keep Origins vanilla and its DLC around for the long haul, I'll be picking up the lot ASAP. I intend to purchase a retail copy of Aslyum vanilla at some point and do my best to try and wrangle a Steam key for it out of WB Support -- I own City vanilla and City GOTY, but only Aslyum GOTY... which irks me.

Cheddahz

Banned
Personally I hated the crap out of it. Gave it 2 solid tries on both the regular original release the the directors cut. The combat is amongst the worst I've experienced in an RPG and there is *so much of it*.

That's pretty disappointing to hear. I might just pick up Another World then

The Market would still exist and thrive for the simple fact that there are a multitude of other marketable items besides keys. Implementing Wallet trading would just be supplanting one Valve-sourced payment method (keys) for another (Steam Bucks) and, for regulars, also remove PayPal and its ilk from the equation (if I'm buying an $8 game from a trader, I wouldn't mind adding $10 to my Wallet as the $2 that would remain is money I'd be spending in the near future, anyway).

If you could just trade $2 Steam wallet for a key (or any other marketable item) there wouldn't really be a need to go through the Steam market anymore for anything.

All the functionality that you want currently exists, you can transfer Steam wallet by selling stuff through the Steam market, it's just that right now Valve gets a x% cut from that.

I don't see what they would gain from letting you just transfer money for free.

I feel much the opposite. ;) Since I don't trust WB to keep Origins vanilla and its DLC around for the long haul, I'll be picking up the lot ASAP. I intend to purchase a retail copy of Aslyum vanilla at some point and do my best to try and wrangle a Steam key for it out of WB Support -- I own City vanilla and City GOTY, but only Aslyum GOTY... which irks me.

Yeah, but you're a different breed. Most people don't like having multiple entries for the same game :D

liezryou

Wallet funds can only be used on Steam. They get money no matter what.

Of course, but they make more money via the community market.

I agree with the items part. However i disagree with your second point. Most people who buy keys buy from the community market (where valve gets a 12% cut of each sale on top of the money the person buying the keys topping up his account). In your scenario valve get's no extra portion of the cut, just the money used to top up the account.

i.e.

Scenario 1) A person buys a game worth ~ 5 keys (lets assume keys are 2$ a piece). He pays valve 10$ to top up his account. He buys his keys he gets his game.

Valve's Revenue = 10$ + 12% of that (11.2$)

Scenario 2) A person buys the same game, but instead this time he trades for steam wallet (let's assume the cost of the game is close to the key cost, and there is minimal profit for the seller of the game). He pays valve 10$ to top up his account and then trades and buys his game.

Valve's revenue = 10$

There is another scenario where you may be able to get the game cheaper then the key price. The result ends up the same as scenario #2 anyway.

Also we have to deal with paypal when we buy from russian resellers. Steam doesn't care, they get their money from the seller anyway.

I would love nothing more then to have a fee-free way of trading steam wallet. I'm just pointing out that it is not likely to happen :p.

maneil99

Yup, Valve loves how traders use tf2 keys as a currency, they make a killing off it, free money already added on to the fact that people paid for the key from the mann co store. What would be interesting is seeing how old/how many people's accounts a tf2 key has went through.

Valve taking a cut from steam wallet would lookworse then taking a cut from an item being sold on the market, and if they don't take a cut they lose out on profits they would have got if it were items

Sajjaja

So I just put 2 hours into Bastion. My verdict: It's fun. The colours are bright, soundtrack works well, and yes, the narration is great. The combat although nothing special, is quite fun as well. But this game MUST be played with a controller to get the best experience out of it in my opinion. I'll be finishing it today hopefully.

Nabs

So I just put 2 hours into Bastion. My verdict: It's fun. The colours are bright, soundtrack works well, and yes, the narration is great. The combat although nothing special, is quite fun as well. But this game MUST be played with a controller to get the best experience out of it in my opinion. I'll be finishing it today hopefully.

Don't be afraid to make the game a bit tougher with idols later in the game.

Sajjaja

Don't be afraid to make the game a bit tougher with idols later in the game.

Yeah, that just got introduced where I am. Got the Piff idol, but I didn't activate it. I heard that with the idols active, it makes the game much better. In what way does it do that?

Nabs

Yeah, that just got introduced where I am. Got the Piff idol, but I didn't activate it. I heard that with the idols active, it makes the game much better. In what way does it do that?

Idols make enemy encounters tougher. They also drop more of those fragments and give you more xp.

Isn't it 3D?

Nah, the game takes place from the perspective of a camera as you're filming the hauntings taking place in the house you're staying in. And through that it adopts chromatic aberration similar to how Outlast does. Game actually seems incredibly interesting, glad I won a copy from Xelios <3

Tesseract

Banned
I like this line

"Remember when games were tough?"

Well I indeed do remember, and do not wish to return to that, as it was as I remember all muscle memory.

tough but fair, it's the dark souls way. mega man x conveyance and all that.

what's the matter friend, afraid volgarr will smoke you like sausage? MEET ME SOMEWHERE

Wok

About Chess the Gathering, the devs offer to organize a tournament.

Anyone interested in a tournament?
So dev on CtG is a little stagnant right now as we explore our other prototypes, but we were thinking about doing some tournaments at some point. Do you guys think it's worth it to add a spectator mode to make it so you could watch if there was a tournament going on? Would you be interested in a tournament?

Thanks!

Oops, wrong thead. Still related to Steam though.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Volgarr sounded promising based on the impressions in this thread about the game.
I no longer trust people's opinions on anything where you die a lot. They seem to get off on that alone and pay no mind to whether or not it is well done. If there is a demo I'll decide for myself, but as for now it looks kinda crappy to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom