• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 V - Message Modbot for Good Time 1-800-555-READOP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nabs

Devolver Digital ‏@devolverdigital 39m

Owners of Shadow Warrior Classic Redux and Flying Wild Hog's Hard Reset have a +10% off coupon for Shadow Warrior in their Steam inventory!

Turfster

Owners of Shadow Warrior Classic Redux and Flying Wild Hog's Hard Reset have a +10% off coupon for Shadow Warrior in their Steam inventory!

Coupon valid until the 26th.
Makes the game only 26€!
Which is... still too much, sorry.

I see what you mean, but yeah, that's an opinion I can't agree with. I mean, I'm ok with people enjoying and loving games that are simply fun and just do things we've already seen but do them well; but seeing them get top marks everywhere leads, I think, to stagnation and downwards levelling - it conveys to publishers the message that yeah, we don't want more than that, we're perfectly fine with more of the same. Well, you, as an individual, aren't doing anything wrong of course, and you obviously have the right to enjoy whatever games you do enjoy and that's pefectly fine by me haha, but seeing this reasoning applied in the press is sad - you don't see specialized film magazine showering White House Down with praise.

Sure sure, that's a different conversation though, that I have no stake in. I pay very little attention to the gaming press (why bother when you have GAF!), nor do I really have a problem if as particular site gives Tomb Raider 9/10, or 6/10.

I definitely think though while we're on that track though, that this is where reading peoples opinions often on gaf becomes more valuable than reading some employee's review on IGN, who will be out the door and working on a different site (or an entirely different occupation) in a few months, thus never giving you real context of a person's opinion. You sit and read GAf long enough and eventually pipe in yourself, you can quickly work up a good idea of hundreds of people's tastes and whos is similar to yours and to listen to when they say they like something or don't.

Like I said though, that hasn't got alot to do with what I say when I say I liked Tomb Raider. I just mean I liked playing it haha, I'd play it again.

derExperte

Great, two days after I preordered the game. If someone wants the coupon...

goty.png

GOTY

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

So for those of us who already pre-ordered...

"The servers are too busy to handle your request code for Total War: Rome II. Error Code (55)

>_> Really? How can it not let me play my game?

Freezard

Loving RUSH. Beat the easy and medium stages yesterday. Simpler than Toki Tori but that's what makes it more fun as well. Going to tackle hard today and then try out AvP 2010. I kinda want to start as the marines but I've heard that particular campaign is bad so maybe I'll go predator.

fantomena

Are any of the Sherlock Holmes games and Game of Thrones games any good?

Edit: Holy shit, a friend of mine has already played Rome 2 in 16,4 hours.

I've got 26 hours on mine, though I should point out that I would've been alt+tabbed out of the game for a significant portion of that because fuck waiting 3-5 minutes doing nothing in between turns.

Tizoc

Suggest 3 of these games for me. Something I would like. I don't have much indie experience:

Braid
Limbo
Mark of the Ninja
Everyday Shooter
Dustforce
FTL
Guacamalee Gold edition
Hotline Miami
Deathspank
Torchlight 1

Mark of the ninja
Guacamelee
Hotline Miami
Torchlight 1

Nabs

Suggest 3 of these games for me. Something I would like. I don't have much indie experience:

Braid
Limbo
Mark of the Ninja
Everyday Shooter
Dustforce
FTL
Guacamalee Gold edition
Hotline Miami

Deathspank
Torchlight 1

I don't know what kind of stuff you like, so I just marked off my favorites.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Just played ten or so minutes of Valley Without Wind 2.

i-have-no-idea-what-im-doing-dog.jpg

I wish I could say it gets easier to understand but... it doesn't really. The only interesting thing about that game was the CRAZY amount of achievements that were easy to get. I played for about 2 hours and unlocked over 100 achievements. Most of the time whenever you open a treasure chest you unlock 3 achievements.

Well, this is weird. Got an email from Steam support (still waiting for my validation email btw).
"Thank you for reporting content that violates the Steam Terms of Service or breaks the rules of the area in which it was submitted.
Because of your efforts, we've removed 4294967295 more items from the Steam Community."
I feel like a cleansing hero of sorts.

Jawmuncher

Well, this is weird. Got an email from Steam support (still waiting for my validation email btw).
"Thank you for reporting content that violates the Steam Terms of Service or breaks the rules of the area in which it was submitted.
Because of your efforts, we've removed 4294967295 more items from the Steam Community."

What exactly did you do

Danj

That looks like an integer overflow.

wiki said:
Unsigned: From 0 to 4,294,967,295 which equals 2^32 − 1

Turfster

Man, this is looking more like a job than anything else. How many days did it take you?
You should get paid for this! =p

Adding to the Tomb Raider discourse:

Tomb Raider to me is basically a videogame with cinematic aspirations that try to make you care about the characters, but it's a videogame through and through and no matter how realistic Lara looks and acts the part she is nothing more than a videogame character in a third person action game. That's how she survives deadly falls, regenerates health and is able to mass murder with little remorse, because it's just a videogame.

But I agree that there is a dissonance in how the character is portrayed through the cinematics and even visually through the wear and tear of her character model that she is somehow more human, when in truth what we are getting is still the super adventurer Lara, the videogame heroine of our youth. I think this is the part that most people find hard to reconcile: the realistic image she portrays and the videogame character that she is.

I do wish that Crystal Dynamics would have the balls to go all out with their crafted image of vulnerable Lara and created a game that is more realistic and less videogamey, but that might just not play so well with the intended audience of the brand.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

All the Sherlock Holmes games are solid adventures. Testemant is the best yet. They're a little stodgy in terms of dialogue, voice acting, and animation but great stories and puzzles. Highly recommend.

Thorgal

I haven't played the game, but I have heard this argument plenty of times before.

My thoughts on this issue is sometimes you have to sacrifice realism for gameplay reasons. Could the transition have been handled better? Probably, but the game needs to hook you quickly on both story and gameplay.
She can't run around crying in corners for hours in-game, she needs to learn to kill people quickly to catch the attention of the audience.

Another common example of this is reloading in FPS games. When you reload a magazine with 15 rounds left, you would generally lose those rounds. Games take out the realism and monotony of having to reload magazines properly in the interest of gameplay.

I would like to add Sleeping Dogs to that .

you are playing an udercover cop who goes in deep with the Triads.
No Real law enforcement agency would allow their agent to do all the stuff in the game ( beat the crap out of people and maim .mutilate or kill them. most real agencies would pull the guy out before it comes to the murdering part) but now imagine if the devs said :lets make everything realistic.

that means :

• * no beating up gang members and doing brutal finishers on them.
    *no shootings .
    * no getting into a car and going on a rampage*
    *and any random tomfoolery you could think of doing while in the game

suddenly you would have a very boring game .

Look to L.A.Noire to see what happens when you built a massive and richly detailed world but give the player no option to do random stuff because the devs wanted it to be highly realistic.

the truth is this : You give a player a big and richly detailed world and total freedom. players will think right away of things to fuck that world up.

Couldn't disagree more with some of this Tomb Raider chat, I loved that game. Real highlight, especially alongside Bioshock, Crysis and Dead Space around the same time earlier in the year. Tomb Raider 1 was my first playstation game on the christmas morning I got mine back in 1996 (seems so long ago, but I guess it must have been), I played them all as they came out, I still love this game. It's sure as shit better than where the franchise was with Angel Of Darkness or Underworld. Those were high budget bad games.

Really need to get the new one for PC.

I didn't say Tomb Raider was a bad game persay, it's well-made, I just don't think it's a particularly good Tomb Raider. It's a well executed, if somewhat mediocre, knock-off of Uncharted that has a lot of cribbed design elements that you see in many "triple A" games.

I recently played through Tomb Raider and thoroughly enjoyed my time with it. While the characters/story are forgettable, I felt the gameplay was ace.

On another note, Tomb Raider is the 3rd game I've played recently where buying the smaller dlc items has negatively impacted my time with the game. The others are Sleeping Dogs and Saint's Row the Third. There is just so little incentive to play the games "properly" when you begin the game with overpowered stats, weapons, etc. I'll be attempting to refrain from buying items like this in the future, even if (like above) I don't plan on playing the games immediately at release.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Tomb Raider's combat is competent, but I feel that it's a little too easy for kb&m players -- the added precision offered makes it easier exponentially easier to land headshots, which is a problem when literally every enemy type of the game goes down in one. The game has its fair share of "brute" enemy types, sure, but there's a generous cerebral weak spot in all.

So any less-hectic RTS like AoEII and AoEIII?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=670533

Tomb Raider's combat is competent, but I feel that it's a little too easy for kb&m players -- the added precision offered makes it easier exponentially easier to land headshots, which is a problem when literally every enemy type of the game goes down in one. The game has its fair share of "brute" enemy types, sure, but there's a generous cerebral weak spot in all.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=670533
I don't even have to use my rifle, shotgun or bow. Just headshot everyone with my pistol.

The crouch dodge completely eliminates any sense of challenge as it basically lets you avoid all fire. It's still fun combat but it didn't really have the same sense of verticality that Uncharted features or its wonderful animation system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom