• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 V - Message Modbot for Good Time 1-800-555-READOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another World is very difficult, but visually it's still a fine game. Looked at a guide for one of the rooms so far where you have grenades thrown at you. I like the way there are very few actions Lester can perform but they're fairly versatile. It's interesting seeing how influential it was after all these years. I can't quite fathom how mind blowing it must have been playing it back in 91.

zkylon

zkylewd
I think the only Double Fine game I have played is Psychonauts.

Loved it though. I will probably try Brutal Legend eventually. It looks like a game that wouldn't appeal to me, but I said the same thing about Psychonauts.

brutal legend is great if you just play it on normal and just eat up the world and dialogue

on that difficulty I actually enjoyed the rts gameplay and everything

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Another World is very difficult, but visually it's still a fine game. Looked at a guide for one of the rooms so far where you have grenades thrown at you. I like the way there are very few actions Lester can perform but they're fairly versatile. It's interesting seeing how influential it was after all these years. I can't quite fathom how mind blowing it must have been playing it back in 91.
I never got past the third screen on the Genesis version, but I managed to reach the final stage when playing it on my phone (had to use a guide in 2 or 3 parts too). I should see if I can finish the Steam version.

Are you sure the art is not 1080p

The videos might be(ie the opening) and loading screens definitely are as they get windowboxed, but there is a very noticeable difference going between 1080P and 4K in terms of the sharpness and detail of the art in-gameplay. I was playing at 3200x1800 at first and then changed to 4K and there was a boost from that but of course less so than going from 1080P to 3200x1800.

So I find I enjoy Tomb Raider a bit more when I return to a previously cleared areas and just explore. There's no scripted sequences, there's fewer, if any, enemies, so there's less combat and the gameplay is mostly just platforming and exploration. Pity there's no real compelling reasons to revisit an area, just inane open-world, filler tasks to complete for exp and resources to grind for so you can upgrade your skills and weapons. You are filling in some backstory by finding the journal entries from across the ages, pity I don't really find the story interesting or enjoyable. There are optional/secret tombs (which the game laughably informs you of with a pop-up when they're nearby, as if the white paint wasn't enough of a dead give away) but they're mostly simple "challenge" rooms with one "puzzle".

Do you know if the physical edition of Farcry 3 Blood Dragon activates on steam or just uplay? I found that game on a store today, it was kinda cheap, but that uplay logo on the back of the cover...

I'm aware of this page:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-wusf-3601

But it's a bit outdated since Darksiders II is not on that list and I just activated my copy last week.
So... just rephrasing... is there any other updated source to know which physical retail games activate on steam?

Copons

Steam.exe

:D

This got me on a Double Fine kick, I feel like replaying Brutal Legend (only beat it once on the 360) but I should probably go for Stacking and/or Costume Quest first since I never played those and they're considerably shorter.

CQ is just a nice timekiller: at first is woah nice, but then you realize is just another (some kind of... J?)RPG where you just press main button like it was Track&Field to skip through battles. Concept is amazing, though, as always at Double Fine, and overall it has this feel good atmosphere that I really appreciated.

Stacking instead is a full-fledged game, with an awesome concept and hilarious puzzles. For me it's the second best DF game after Psychonauts.

Brutal Legend could have been a fucking excellent game (except for the guy who got tinnitus playing it). It has a great story, even if you're not into metal stuff, great dialogues, outstanding chara design (the roadies!!! and that incredible cliff of amplifiers) and, of course, a great overall concept.
But I really can't understand why Schafer was stuck with that shitty unusable RTS system.
Back in the day, I totally sped through the game founding it amazing (and IIRC I got 100% on PS3), but in every single RTS battle I was stuck for hours because I just couldn't remember wtf I was supposed to do.
Like, they could have developed it more and better (say, up to half of the game), or just trash it. Instead they decided to use it for like 1/10 of the entire game so you (or at least I) never got the hang of it and always thought it was frustrating as hell.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Anyone on the fence regarding Divinity 2: The Dragon Knight Saga (75% off right now at 5 bucks)?
Divinity-2-Ego-Draconis-51.jpg
Made a thread for it after playing it during this sale:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=672137

I wrote my impressions in that thread, check it out guys. This game definitely does not deserve the obscurity it has.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Anyone on the fence regarding Divinity 2: The Dragon Knight Saga (75% off right now at 5 bucks)?

Made a thread for it after playing it during this sale:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=672137

I wrote my impressions in that thread, check it out guys. This game definitely does not deserve the obscurity it has.

I bought it solely because of how much I enjoyed Dragon Commander (despite an insane difficulty spike in the second act).

For real, everyone go buy Dragon Commander as well.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Man... I wish Valve sold movies on Steam so all my digital media could be on one spot.

I'd probably wait for a sale before buying The Host.

So... just rephrasing... is there any other updated source to know which physical retail games activate on steam?

There's this thread and its earlier flavours, although only 2011 and later distinguish between titles that are Steamworks in the generally-understood sense that the game in question requires Steam (e.g. Portal 2) and cases where only the Steam version in particular utilises Steamworks features (e.g. Batman: Arkham City).

Chris R

Was TWD this cheap during the last sale? If it was I wonder why I hadn't bought it yet, and what is keeping me from buying it now >_<

Mattiator

I've on played civilization revolution on 360, I enjoyed it but found it pretty simple. Would I enjoy civilization v and the exapansions?? Thanks.

I've on played civilization revolution on 360, I enjoyed it but found it pretty simple. Would I enjoy civilization v and the exapansions?? Thanks.
Did you ever wish 'boy I wish I had more control of smaller things and this was more complicated'? Then you'll probably like it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

You might want to grab Sid Meyer's Alpha Centari off GoG before getting Civ 5. I kinda enjoyed that a bit more than Civ Rev. But it's based on Civ 2... so warning you might not enjoy old rulesets.

Mattiator

You might want to grab Sid Meyer's Alpha Centari off GoG before getting Civ 5. I kinda enjoyed that a bit more than Civ Rev. But it's based on Civ 2... so warning you might not enjoy old rulesets.

Thanks, ya I got a hard copy my dad gave me from a few years ago so I will I've that a shot too!

Vecks

Wow. The difference between Aquanox 1 and 2 is night and day. I really wanted to play through 1 first to see how the story goes, but the controls are just too unbearable. Moved on to 2 and I'm glad to see it has much better character art, improved controls, and proper voice acting. Not to mention the presentation is a complete throwback to Archimedean Dynasty.

You know what I would love to see on Steam? Dead or Alive and Tekken.

I mean we get this Naruto-Game, got KoF and Mortal Kombat and (rumors say) Injustice. Would love to see either DoA or Tekken on Steam and I guess Tekken Revolution would even make quite some money, especially during Steamsales when you can buy characterpacks.

(Oh. And the newer BlazBlue titles)

I mean we get this Naruto-Game, got KoF and Mortal Kombat and (rumors say) Injustice. Would love to see either DoA or Tekken on Steam and I guess Tekken Revolution would even make quite some money, especially during Steamsales when you can buy characterpacks.
I agree, Virtua Fighter would be a excellent fighting game to have on Steam seeing how starved the platform is for 3D fighters.

I just thought they would make quite a few bucks with a port and since Steam now even gets Naruto, DoA or Tekken would do quite well on PC too.
(And I would love to play them again, without using my PS3)

Tellaerin

I think it would control pretty well on keyboards, too. VF would resonate with a lot of PC gamers.

I'd rather have DOA or Soul Calibur for PC, myself. The later VF games skew a little too far toward the technical end for my taste - playing them feels more like work than entertainment to me. I'm probably in the minority on that, I know.

TheSeks

(Oh. And the newer BlazBlue titles)

I agree, Virtua Fighter would be a excellent fighting game to have on Steam seeing how starved the platform is for 3D fighters.

Dead or Alive is never gonna happen since Tecmo is paranoid about nude mods
which would happen within five minutes of launch on PC
. I said the same thing in DOA5U's thread, but it needs repeating. I really can't see it coming to PC unless someone convinces Tecmo that mods even if they're nude mods wouldn't be a bad thing. But even then you'd have to convince them that the PC mods eating into their DLC sales wouldn't bankrupt them.

Namco's titles, maybe. I mean you did get Dark Souls rolling when I thought that'd have no chance in hell. But you'd probably get an unoptimized port like From admitted to doing for those, so: Do you want that?

Sega really doesn't give a damn about Virtua Fighter anymore so I can't really see them porting that but it would be nice.
and get Outrun back on digital services.

Arc: They've done ports of Blazblue: Clam Trigger and GG:XX:TMC:#Reload, which aren't tournament legal anymore but well... could be possible... if sales were good and they put some effort into the netcode for GG: Which, let's be honest, they wouldn't and probably couldn't since it's from an age of arcades.

TheSeks

Hey, I'm telling you the reason. They had that huge long drawn-out legal thing on boot up for DOA3/2U/XBV/XBV2/4 for a reason. They prosecuted modders of DOA3 when the 180/OG X-box had a mod scene even. I'm not necessarily disagreeing with ya'll, but just saying: Tecmo probably never will do it because of that
and because of the cut into DLC sales

There is that beta of that online MMO-ish thing they were doing for the 2004 Olympics release date that they canceled that is out there in the wild in regards to Dead or Alive being "native" on PC. But you'd have to ask Pupi on that.

jediyoshi

Hey, I'm telling you the reason. They had that huge long drawn-out legal thing on boot up for DOA3/2U/XBV/XBV2/4 for a reason. They prosecuted modders of DOA3 when the 180/OG X-box had a mod scene even. I'm not necessarily disagreeing with ya'll, but just saying: Tecmo probably never will do it because of that
and because of the cut into DLC sales

There is that beta of that online MMO-ish thing they were doing for the 2004 Olympics release date that they canceled that is out there in the wild in regards to Dead or Alive being "native" on PC. But you'd have to ask Pupi on that.

What's the actual timeline of that stuff? I thought the PC DOA was way past when they went after that DOA modding forum. Judging from my recent time in modeling/modding, they've laxed 100% on DOA assets being spread around.

sibarraz

Banned
I think it would control pretty well on keyboards, too. VF would resonate with a lot of PC gamers.

I disagree with that. Virtua Fighter is a game which requires super precise inputs.

There are some moves which requires you to input the direction in an exact frame. I can't even pull some moves that use basic notations as qcf or srk IN AN ARCADE STICK just for the precise inputs required to pull them out.

And I didn't even mention some legendary moves like akira knee, where you need to release the button which you used after an exact frame of pressing it.

You could play any fighting game with keyboard (sf, kof , mk) but VF will be impossible to play (or master actually) with a KB.

And isn't that SEGA doesn't care about virtua fighter, the thing with the company is that they don't care to release the game on other platafforms besides arcades since there is where they get most of the money. But after releasing FS on PSN and XBLA, it will not hurt them to release the game on PC, after all, the sega lindbergh is an pc, so the port should be super easy

Grief.exe

I'm just happy to see more Japanese developers and publishers coming back to the PC platform.

Even if they are games I am not particularly interested in. I really hope Konami ports over MGSV and the Legacy Collection. I would explode.

Deques

I'm just happy to see more Japanese developers and publishers coming back to the PC platform.

Even if they are games I am not particularly interested in. I really hope Konami ports over MGSV and the Legacy Collection. I would explode.

I got really hyped when I watched the MGSV trailer just now. I am hoping to see more MGS games porting over to PC. Only played the first and second game. I have the third lying around in the corner. But I am missing the fourth game. Don't really wanna buy a console just for a game

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'd have to say that Dragon's Dogma tops the list of Japanese-developed console exclusives I'd love to see on the PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom