• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 V - Message Modbot for Good Time 1-800-555-READOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Assault Android Cactus

The developer of Paranautical Activity doesn't really come across that well from what I've read, very quick to crap on others whenever things don't go his way. So maybe that's influenced the way I read that tweet but it seemed like he's super ungrateful towards those other services when they're the ones that got his game greenlit in the first place.

Thanks :). I saw that and it looked very accomplished. I wish it well.

Mugatu

A couple of keys I never ended up using - I am 90% sure they are untaken but I could be wrong (found in an old Word file). If I am then sorry.

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

C&C Red Alert 3 (Steam) -- MB-23F5E208C7E73225 - Taken by OverHeat
Dead Space (Origin) -- MB-3FDB7FCB8288BA6C
Dead Space (Steam) -- MB-4E16DE503BD4A001 - Taken by D3RANG3D

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Refresh my memory: How's the PC ver. of Red Dead Redemption?

It's great. R* did a much better job optimising the game than it did GTAIV and there are a similar array of settings to adjust in the options if you need to get performance to a particular level while making concessions in areas that least concern you. I can hold 60fps at 1680x1050, max in-game settings, with 8x AF and 8x CSAA. Needless to say, the PC port also includes all the DLC released for the PS360. The ENB mod for the game will be released in the near future.

Also, in this alternate universe, Saoirse Ronan made Oscar history when the Academy nominated her for her performance in The Lovely Bones, the fibre rollout in my area is due to be finished on time, and licensed games never disappear from Steam.

It's great. R* did a much better job optimising the game than it did GTAIV and there are a similar array of settings to adjust in the options if you need to get performance to a particular level while making concessions in areas that least concern you. I can hold 60fps at 1680x1050, max in-game settings, with 8x AF and 8x CSAA. Needless to say, the PC port also includes all the DLC released for the PS360. The ENB mod for the game will be released in the near future.

Also, in this alternate universe, Saoirse Ronan made Oscar history when the Academy nominated her for her performance in The Lovely Bones, the fibre rollout in my area is due to be finished on time, and licensed games never disappear from Steam.

In this universe, JaseC is Saoirse

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The internet just told me that Rockstar haven't put it out on pc because they're "typical console tards". The fact that they were originally pc devs seems to have escaped their notice.

All R* has said on the matter is that a PC port "isn't viable" (paraphrased). The rumoured reasoning is that the codebase is an utter mess and would prove to be difficult to port as R* had enough trouble getting the game to run adequately on the PS360, but I find this hard to believe. #TeamThereWillBeAPortOneDayStopLookingAtMeLikeThat

In this universe, JaseC is Saoirse

Whoa.

Copons

It fixed a lot of the performance issues but sadly it's still a boring empty desert with not much to do outside of the GTA 4-like missions.

arnold_lol_gif.gif

There's this thread and its earlier flavours, although only 2011 and later distinguish between titles that are Steamworks in the generally-understood sense that the game in question requires Steam (e.g. Portal 2) and cases where only the Steam version in particular utilises Steamworks features (e.g. Batman: Arkham City).
Thanks Jase!

vazel

Banned
It fixed a lot of the performance issues but sadly it's still a boring empty desert with not much to do outside of the GTA 4-like missions.
Don't forget the story that's actually good. I think that should count for something coming from Rockstar.

All R* has said on the matter is that a PC port "isn't viable" (paraphrased). The rumoured reasoning is that the codebase is an utter mess and would prove to be difficult to port as R* had enough trouble getting the game to run adequately on the PS360, but I find this hard to believe. #TeamThereWillBeAPortOneDayStopLookingAtMeLikeThat

Whoa.

That's a hashtag I can get behind! Red Dead Revolver is the only Rockstar game I've tried that I've actually enjoyed so I hope it does come to pc at some point. I don't have a PS360 and now that I have a pc capable of gaming I really would rather not bother with them. Hope that doesn't sound like port begging :'(.

Derrick01

Banned
Don't forget the story that's actually good. I think that should count for something coming from Rockstar.

It was a pretty standard Rockstar plot until the end parts. Former bad guy trying to be good but ends up having to kill everyone for reasons.

To be honest I don't really remember actual details during most of it as I zoned out from the boredom. Most of my first couple of hours were filled with the game telling me to do such thrilling activities like herding cattle, breaking horses and fun minigames like horseshoes. Horseshoes..... :\

It was a pretty standard Rockstar plot until the end parts. Former bad guy trying to be good but ends up having to kill everyone for reasons.

To be honest I don't really remember actual details during most of it as I zoned out from the boredom. Most of my first couple of hours were filled with the game telling me to do such thrilling activities like herding cattle, breaking horses and fun minigames like horseshoes. Horseshoes..... :\

The horseshoes minigame sounds immesurably more fun to me than watching cut scenes for a story and characters I couldn't give a **** about.

Don't mind me, I'm in a funny mood and Rockstar's gaming agenda gets on my nerves.

EDIT - "It was worth the weight". SMH

Bouniter

Well the challenge didn't work (I kinda didn't think it would but I wanted to play).

So here you guys go 1 Mirror's Edge steam key

ModBot said:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg

Mirror's Edge -- MB-2BBE5F28C91F1144 - Taken by OverHeat

Also me and a friend are considering picking up blood bowl in the sale basically for a laugh i don't expect anything outstanding just a good laugh. (I have played the table top game a couple of times and had fun with it).
Can any of you guys let me know what you thoughts on it?

Tenrius

Oh, the story was pretty much a mess in RDR. The pacing was all over the place and the main character, a supposed pillar of that story, was basically a gullible fool who fell for the same lies over and over again. Much of the dialogue amounted to various people telling Mr. John Martston to go to this place and kill that guys and him saying something like "OK, I'll do it" while making a face, but never questioning or refusing. Sure, it had a few nice moments, mostly around the ending, but it doesn't override the fact that the overall story was pointless trite.

Freezard

Heh, AvP 2010 barely runs on 60 FPS with everything on max on DX11, funny how much the frame rate drops when you turn on the flashlight and throw a flare. Seems pretty cool so far though, looks a lot like Doom 3. Unfortunately the first alien killed me cause I thought they would die easier, gotta use that block/melee button I guess.

Oh, the story was pretty much a mess in RDR. The pacing was all over the place and the main character, a supposed pillar of that story, was basically a gullible fool who fell for the same lies over and over again. Much of the dialogue amounted to various people telling Mr. John Martston to go to this place and kill that guys and him saying something like "OK, I'll do it" while making a face, but never questioning or refusing. Sure, it had a few nice moments, mostly around the ending, but it doesn't override the fact that the overall story was pointless trite.

I think Marston's complacency toward his actions are pretty much in line with what the player feels while playing a video game. But yeah, I'd consider the overall story pretty weak outside of the pacing of the third act and the epilogue. I think the way they slowed the pace and lowered the stakes toward the end of the game was excellent and showed a sense of confidence that we don't usually see in video game stories.

Also me and a friend are considering picking up blood bowl in the sale basically for a laugh i don't expect anything outstanding just a good laugh. (I have played the table top game a couple of times and had fun with it).

I bought a Groupees bundle that had the game in it but I haven't redeemed my key yet as I'm not that much interested in the game. I can give it to you if you want. Your friends will still have to buy the game if you wanna play with them though.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
I loved that. Controlling the herd was a suprisingly though challenge, but the conversation with Bonnie while peacefully riding on the prairie felt great. Incredibly immerse. Would loved it if there was more of that.

Don't get me wrong, it's a Western. There's going to be some gunfights. But it got a bit much.
Atleast he almost alway's asked them to put they're guns down before shooting them through the head.

Grief.exe

Total Biscuit, Angry Joe, and others played in a blood bowl tournament pretty recently on YouTube.

I watched a couple games and the game seemed to run well and did not hear any complaints from the players.

Bouniter

I bought a Groupees bundle that had the game in it but I haven't redeemed my key yet as I'm not that much interested in the game. I can give it to you if you want. Your friends will still have to buy the game if you wanna play with them though.

Thanks for the offer but i have no idea what version that would be and just to be on the safe side i shall make sure we both get the same version (legendary edition) and as i cant see any way to buy the additional content separately i guess id just have to buy that edition anyway. seriously though thanks for the offer. ^_^

Total Biscuit had a blood bowl tournament pretty recently on YouTube.

I watched a couple games and the game seemed to run well and did not hear any complaints from the players.

Cheers I shall see if i can find this and have a look.

Derrick01

Banned
I loved that. Controlling the herd was a suprisingly though challenge, but the conversation with Bonnie while peacefully riding on the prairie felt great. Incredibly immerse. Would loved it if there was more of that.

Felt a sting in my chest with that one, you hit me in my weak point. Immersion, the ultimate buzzword in this industry.

To clarify: I always see people using that word to defend games that have incredibly weak gameplay. Like I'll write out a damn thesis explaining why Skyrim is horrible and how every gameplay element is broken or doesn't work right and then someone will always respond with "yeah but it was immersive". Makes me want to pull my hair out. To me it reads like "the game may suck but I love just walking around doing nothing." I don't understand that and probably never will.

Jawmuncher

NOTE: All Cognition Desura Keys will receive a Steam Key at a later date.

ModBot said:

I am giving away a Desura key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

ep2big2.jpg

Cognition Episode 2: The Wise Monkey -- MB-5405B533613EAD5F - Taken by Addnan

Derrick01

Banned
You just described the Skyrim Game of the Generation argument.

People actually believe this Derrick. Good luck trying to appeal to reason with them.

You know I think I could kind of understand the feeling. I did choose skyrim as my goty here when we did the voting because after 20 hours I thought I was loving it. But when I actually thought about it I couldn't understand why, every single aspect of the game was completely horrible and broken when I really put some thought into it. It really slapped me back into reality and I think when people first started using that....word...to describe the game is when I first realized how much I hate that word since it doesn't actually *mean* anything.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Felt a sting in my chest with that one, you hit me in my weak point. Immersion, the ultimate buzzword in this industry.

To clarify: I always see people using that word to defend games that have incredibly weak gameplay. Like I'll write out a damn thesis explaining why Skyrim is horrible and how every gameplay element is broken or doesn't work right and then someone will always respond with "yeah but it was immersive". Makes me want to pull my hair out. To me it reads like "the game may suck but I love just walking around doing nothing." I don't understand that and probably never will.
I love doing that in a whole lot of games. And I meant to say "atmospheric". :p

Red Dead Redemption's gameplay is weak, I agree with that. I played it for the horseriding (absolutely brilliant animations) and incredible western atmosphere. I've spent so many hours riding aimlessly in that game, picking flowers and seeing the same women tricking me into helping her over and over again. Which, every time, resulted in either Marshton getting robbed or shooting five guy's through the head. Ofcourse.

If you are using it multiplayer then yeah it's good. The games major faults are the solo modes are quite dull and it is a little unaccessible to people new to BB (if I remember correctly, the tutorial just tells you how to move the players and then goes 'okay, go read the official Blood Bowl rules if you want to know more'). Sounds like nether problems should be an issue for you.

I love the gameplay in Red Red Redemption, the mission themselves often have the same general go here, kill this feel but the actual mechanics you're using in the process are quite fun. Great weight to the guns, easy to move forward while shooting steady(which was an improvement for Rockstar), wonderful Euphoria related hijinks and related to that the rope which is almost on the level of the Gravity Gun in terms of amusement and awe I got out of it.

Multiplayer in that game is so great as well, really do still hope that one day it'll find its way to the PC. The atmosphere and world building, and hell things like the rope still hold up today and the flaws it had such as repetitive mission design are the same as ever. It's not too late!
;-;

Derrick01

Banned
I love doing that in a whole lot of games. And I meant to say "atmospheric". :p

Red Dead Redemption's gameplay is weak, I agree with that. I played it for the horseriding (absolutely brilliant animations) and incredible western atmosphere. I've spent so many hours riding aimlessly in that game, picking flowers and seeing the same women tricking me into helping her over and over again. Which, every time, resulted in either Marshton getting robbed or shooting five guy's through the head. Ofcourse.

Eh atmosphere is kind of the same thing, at least how most people use it on here when they're talking about a game. The way they tend to describe it it ends up being the same as the people who say immersion.

I don't want to seem like I'm picking on you though as I seriously see people use it as the reason they liked a game every week (probably every couple of days even).

Acccent

Eh atmosphere is kind of the same thing, at least how most people use it on here when they're talking about a game. The way they tend to describe it it ends up being the same as the people who say immersion.

I don't want to seem like I'm picking on you though as I seriously see people use it as the reason they liked a game every week (probably every couple of days even).

Well, I enjoy a lot of games purely on the basis that they allow me to enjoy their world the way I want, and I can't think of better words than 'immersion' and 'atmosphere' to describe that. Lack of gameplay is gameplay in itself. I don't like Skyrim because it throws too many systems at me, and yeah I think most of those are broken, but I'll spend hours in Fez/Proteus just to wander in the world, and in TDU/Fuel-like games.

Berto

STALKER is one of my favorite games ever and that's almost down to atmosphere /immersion/whatever. Most of the times I'm just ignoring the game and walking and exploring.

Tellaerin

You know I think I could kind of understand the feeling. I did choose skyrim as my goty here when we did the voting because after 20 hours I thought I was loving it. But when I actually thought about it I couldn't understand why, every single aspect of the game was completely horrible and broken when I really put some thought into it. It really slapped me back into reality and I think when people first started using that....word...to describe the game is when I first realized how much I hate that word since it doesn't actually *mean* anything.

Looking at things through the lens of criticism isn't a bad thing, but it's also possible to analyze yourself right out of enjoying a game (or movie, TV show, book, or what have you). If you were enjoying it, does it really matter why? Are there right and wrong reasons to enjoy a game?

I don't know, man. Maybe I'm misreading that. But from where I'm sitting, it sounds like you were having a good time with the game for whatever reason, but looked at the nuts and bolts and decided that you shouldn't like it. And that reminded me of how literature courses (or trying to make a living as a writer) have spoiled reading for pleasure for a lot of people, which I think sucks.

Looking at things through the lens of criticism isn't a bad thing, but it's also possible to analyze yourself right out of enjoying a game (or movie, TV show, book, or what have you). If you were enjoying it, does it really matter why? Are there right and wrong reasons to enjoy a game?

I don't know, man. Maybe I'm misreading that. But from where I'm sitting, it sounds like you were having a good time with the game for whatever reason, but looked at the nuts and bolts and decided that you shouldn't like it. And that reminded me of how literature courses (or trying to make a living as a writer) have spoiled reading for pleasure for a lot of people, which I think sucks.

Well said. I always think of it like dissecting a frog at school. Yes by doing so you understand how it is put together but in doing so you kill it. An inaccurate metaphor, yes, but it works for me. As long as I enjoy a game then I don't care about the rest of it.

Derrick01

Banned

Yeah it's possible to do that but when you see me like or dislike a game I like to explain why with specific details about the gameplay. I'm not a "feeling" gamer where all I need is immersion, I need satisfying gameplay or if it's a game like Walking Dead then the story needs to be well written to get into a game.

What happened with Skyrim is I got excited for it and then when playing it I lost myself. When I started thinking about the details of the game I realized that none of it was good and that any satisfied feeling I had was simply an illusion. And it's not good to let yourself get stuck in illusions, we have to live in reality.

Not coincidentally that's also why I'm so against Oculus Rift. It's going to make people ignore gameplay over immersion and live in illusions even more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom