• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 V - Message Modbot for Good Time 1-800-555-READOP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

Really neat, must suck to be the devs of the Star Trek game to know that even the architect of the reboot movies said the game is terrible. Well they got paid I guess, so they moved on...

Abrams and Valve is going to be so cool, with whatever they come up with. My dream would be a sci-fi RPG by them but I don't think that will happen unfortunately.

i00usjKgBJXQf.gif

As far as I know it happens only on nVidia cards, and it also happens on Pandora Tomorrow, that's probably why it's not on Steam.

You are exactly right. Its unfortunate that Ubisoft doesn't care enough to fix up those games.

At least Chaos Theory works perfectly. I would like to go back and experience the original and Pandora Tomorrow again.

Hinomura

Having read how to get a Paranormal Steam key from Desura, I've decided to finally add games / bundles (indieroyale) I own to Desura, just in case.
134 games! o_O

I don't know if I'm not used to Desura UI or if it's just a bit unfriendly, btw to add a game and get a Steam key, once you do the sign in you have to:

Go here (Gifts?): http://www.desura.com/gifts insert the key and press "Activate Gift"

Go to your account page (click on your username), select GAMES tab from the mid bar (not the one in the top!), click on the game name, you get to game page.

Click Play game, an on-window pop-up will appear, then select view keys, then Steam key.

Eek!

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Having read how to get a Paranormal Steam key from Desura, I've decided to finally add games / bundles (indieroyale) I own to Desura, just in case.
134 games! o_O

I would do that, but I don't even know which bundles I have have Desura keys and I'd have to manually input every single one of the keys on a service I don't give a fuck about.

I'm more amazed that there's already a bunch of games on my Desura account from being automatically assigned by some bundle(s?) site.

134 games! o_O

I don't know if I'm not used to Desura UI or if it's just a bit unfriendly, btw to add a game and get a Steam key, once you do the sign in you have to:

Go here (Gifts?): http://www.desura.com/gifts insert the key and press "Activate Gift"

Go to your account page (click on your username), select GAMES tab from the mid bar (not the one in the top!), click on the game name, you get to game page.

Click Play game, an on-window pop-up will appear, then select view keys, then Steam key.

Eek!

http://www.desura.com/collection

I bought this during the steam sale on griefs recommendation and haven't played it, shame is me :(

Don't worry, what else were you meant to do with it? ;)

More or less.

The main difference between bullets and plasma it's the speed. Altough, rockets are probably the most powerful weapon. Then there is the sphere of plasma that can go through the walls, it's useful, since you can start killing enemies before they know where you are.

Haha cheers for the info I neeed those upgraaades. Will I have enough for everything by the end, or should I be really choosey?. I played Doom 1 and 2 alot when I was a kid but honestly it's been a long time since I played a proper classic designed FPS. Maybe Unreal 3?

The professor is an awesome voice actor by the way. I need to watch the credits more closely and get his name. I couldn't find him through the internet.

Hilariously, I googled it, and the top hit was your tweet asking the devs about it haha.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm more amazed that there's already a bunch of games on my Desura account from being automatically assigned by some bundle(s?) site.

It's Indie Royale, which is run by Desura.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Don't worry, what else were you meant to do with it? ;)

Haha cheers for the info I neeed those upgraaades. Will I have enough for everything by the end, or should I be really choosey?. I played Doom 1 and 2 alot when I was a kid but honestly it's been a long time since I played a proper classic designed FPS. Maybe Unreal 3?

I don't really remember. I'm quite sure you can unlock almost everything, but I don't think you can buy every upgrade for every weapon.
If you buy the rocket launcher, buy the laser guide too.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
You are exactly right. Its unfortunate that Ubisoft doesn't care enough to fix up those games.

At least Chaos Theory works perfectly. I would like to go back and experience the original and Pandora Tomorrow again.

Yeah, it's a shame.
I want to play the whole series, I'm going to buy the other games in the next sale, but not going to be able to have Pandora Tomorrow too it's going to bug me.

Li Kao

So guys, anybody bite the bullet on Volgarr ?
As an aging old fuck nearing its 35th birthday, I get Rastan vibes. And that is good vibes mang. Butttt, at the same time, the dev insistance about how it's so oldschool hard is off putting for me. Don't care for difficulty, don't care for limited lives etc...
So how is it ? How hard is it ?

Turfster

Christ, looks like I'm gonna blow more cash on KoF. *sigh*

No Yuri card, no KOF sale for me!

As an aging old fuck nearing its 35th birthday, I get Rastan vibes. And that is good vibes mang. Butttt, at the same time, the dev insistance about how it's so oldschool hard is off putting for me. Don't care for difficulty, don't care for limited lives etc...
Duckroll has been yammering away at me to get it and that it's the greatest game ever... but then again, it's duckroll, so... it's probably incredibly hard - which is the reason I'm not getting it, because I skipped the whole early generation of console games, I was more of an adventure gamer.

Parsnip

Really neat, must suck to be the devs of the Star Trek game to know that even the architect of the reboot movies said the game is terrible. Well they got paid I guess, so they moved on...

Abrams and Valve is going to be so cool, with whatever they come up with. My dream would be a sci-fi RPG by them but I don't think that will happen unfortunately.

I know the guy who did the music for the game, and it's a pretty great score. It's such a shame that the game didn't come out very good and more people didn't get to hear it.
Still, he now has a Star Trek credit in his resume, that's a pretty great thing to have.

Ya I would love some impressions as well.

Gvaz

Banned
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg

Mark of the Ninja -- MB-BCE5E5C22F3BE22B - Taken by Infinite Justice
Trine 2: Complete Story -- MB-906E165EF3B570E7 - Taken by Ingueferroque
Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter -- MB-2B9F0A9D3DFCD20F - Taken by georaldc
Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter -- MB-67F9A2B055998819 - Taken by Tak3n

enjoy~

fantomena

Volgarr is fun.

Im so freaking happy that I began with PC gaming about 4 years ago. Just thinking about all these awesome and special games I would never enjoy or try out is kinda scary.

I have other gaming machines (PS3, X360, Wii U, 3DS, Vita etc.), but my GOTY list will probably be dominated by PC games.

My review of The Chaos Engine (remake) is up! http://tinyurl.com/otjkb89

Tellaerin

I'd love to see him do a futuristic sci-fi/espionage game. Something like what Undercovers would've been like if it took place in the Mass Effect universe.

mrgone

It's around the same level of difficulty as a Ghouls 'n Ghosts title, I think, but not as much of an asshole about it, if that makes any sense. It's tough, you'll die a lot, but those deaths feel like they come much more from a lack of mastery than sadistic level design.

Each of the main worlds has a mid-level checkpoint and there's no lives counter unless you're playing on The Path of the Valkyrie, which are more challenging alternate levels you gain access to by completing the previous world skillfully.

Definitely watch some streams/videos before you make a final decision if difficulty's a sticking point, but I've been having a great time with it.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Papo y Yo feels

+ Very pretty, very pleasing use of color
+ Very laid back pacing in the first half is pleasant
+ Love the design of the main character
+ Dug the subject material
+ Port is nice and has a ton of video settings

~ Soundtrack was nice at first but lacked depth, never felt emotionally resonant
~ Puzzle design never really got gratifying, but never was outright bad
~ The flashback scenes felt a bit heavy handed

- A couple of the latter puzzles repeated tasks too many times
- The ending went on for way too long, could have been a lot more concise

Overall I was quite pleased with it at 3.75$. I don't think there is enough design or content there to justify the 15$. It took me 4.4 hours to 100% the game, probably 3-3.5 to roll through the story.

Been watching quill18's video series on Europa Universalis 4, think I'm going to download the demo and give it a shot. I've kind of found Paradox's grand strategy games to be a bit impenetrable but EU4 is supposed to their most accessible game to date. They had a person solely dedicated to working on tutorials in EU4 and they've improved the U.I. a lot over EU3 based off of what I've read.

Hinomura

It's the Rastan sequel we never had (not counting the PC Engine Legenday Axe games, Sacred Armour of Antiriad, nor the mediocre at best Rastan 2)!

For now (just booted and arrived at 2nd checkpoint) it plays exactly as the first Rastan, save for spear throwing (spears can be used as platforms), and rolling.

I'd say, buy it without hesitation :) Okay, I'm going back to it now ;)

PS: I'm almost 40 so don't worry ;D

PPS: I bought it from here: http://volgarrtheviking.com/ devs got bigger cut!

KarmaCow

and 6 !premium server joined now, screw it i'm out.

At least put a notice in the server browser title if you plan to use !premium in your server :|

I would have thought there would be a tag for that. But that's why I mostly stick to one server group when playing TF2.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
PPS: I bought it from here: http://volgarrtheviking.com/ devs got bigger cut!

An interesting point about this. Back when Gunpoint came out, Tom Francis actually had to come out and ask people to stop buying at his site. So many people were buying direct that it drove the game off the Steam top sellers chart and that lack of publicity that comes with charting on there was actually costing him a bunch of sales.

Alien8

Nuuvem has currently quite a few good offers. Dishonored is 15R$ (~5€) and Fallout:NV Ultimate edition is 10R$ (~3.5€) and Bioshock Infinite 45R$ (~15€) . Unfortunately, many of the other discounted games aren't steam reedemable codes, but I think it's worth to have a look.

I'm on the fence about buying Anno 2070, but it says that requires Uplay. I thought Anno was steamworks, but I'm not sure if it will activate on Steam.

Also, does that game still have that awful DRM?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'll note that Dishonored itself at such a cheap price is a good deal on the count of Bethesda has since Fallout 3 forsaken separate app entries in favour of Steam sub bundles, so if you're holding out for a deal on Dishonored GOTY as a whole, then you may be waiting a while.

Nuuvem has currently quite a few good offers. Dishonored is 15R$ (~5€) and Fallout:NV Ultimate edition is 10R$ (~3.5€) and Bioshock Infinite 45R$ (~15€) . Unfortunately, many of the other discounted games aren't steam reedemable codes, but I think it's worth to have a look.

I'm on the fence about buying Anno 2070, but it says that requires Uplay. I thought Anno was steamworks, but I'm not sure if it will activate on Steam.

Also, does that game still have that awful DRM?

I could try and reinstall the game to see if I've lost a copy because I replaced a dead gpu.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Also, does [Anno 2070] still have that awful DRM?

It still uses TAGES, but no longer does changing GPUs impose a further activation. A random SPUF post states that a user's account is given four activations per month, with one being automatically revoked every four weeks, but who knows how true this is.

Just download a crack. Nobody will judge you.

Jawmuncher

Papo y Yo feels

+ Very pretty, very pleasing use of color
+ Very laid back pacing in the first half is pleasant
+ Love the design of the main character
+ Dug the subject material
+ Port is nice and has a ton of video settings

~ Soundtrack was nice at first but lacked depth, never felt emotionally resonant
~ Puzzle design never really got gratifying, but never was outright bad
~ The flashback scenes felt a bit heavy handed

- A couple of the latter puzzles repeated tasks too many times
- The ending went on for way too long, could have been a lot more concise

Overall I was quite pleased with it at 3.75$. I don't think there is enough design or content there to justify the 15$. It took me 4.4 hours to 100% the game, probably 3-3.5 to roll through the story.

Thanks for the impressions. Still thinking of grabbing it. Will probably end up doing soon.

Hinomura

An interesting point about this. Back when Gunpoint came out, Tom Francis actually had to come out and ask people to stop buying at his site. So many people were buying direct that it drove the game off the Steam top sellers chart and that lack of publicity that comes with charting on there was actually costing him a bunch of sales.

Chart on Steam or bigger cut?
I don't know, direct sell grants you an immediate boost to your pockets, but a good position on Steam charts "could" raise the bar of interest in the game, probably assuring more sales even in a short term too...

Aaand I'm guilty, I bought Gunpoint from Tom Francis site :(

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Unfortunately, many of the other discounted games aren't steam reedemable codes, but I think it's worth to have a look.
Driver San Francisco keeps going 75% off but it's never the Steam version. :(

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Aaand I'm guilty, I bought Gunpoint from Tom Francis site :(
I don't think that's anything to feel bad about.

Anyway, Crazy Viking doesn't seem to be worried about it and the game appears to be getting great word of mouth, so to anyone who's on the fence just buy it wherever you want.

FYI, Nilansan noted that if you're in the UK (or EU) the cheapest place to get it is actually their site since they charge in USD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom