• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 V - Message Modbot for Good Time 1-800-555-READOP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
An interesting point about this. Back when Gunpoint came out, Tom Francis actually had to come out and ask people to stop buying at his site. So many people were buying direct that it drove the game off the Steam top sellers chart and that lack of publicity that comes with charting on there was actually costing him a bunch of sales.

Which suggests, to the surprise of EA and Ubisoft, that Steam might actually provide a service that justifies its slice of the pie?!?!?!

Turfster

Which suggests, to the surprise of EA and Ubisoft, that Steam might actually provide a service that justifies its slice of the pie?!?!?!

Not to mention, you know, the servers that store the games and supply them to the users, however many times they want to download them.

Hinomura

I don't think that's anything to feel bad about.

Anyway, Crazy Viking doesn't seem to be worried about it and the game appears to be getting great word of mouth, so to anyone who's on the fence just buy it wherever you want.

FYI, Nilansan noted that if you're in the UK (or EU) the cheapest place to get it is actually their site since they charge in USD.

It's a great game so far, the word of mouth is justified.

BUT! It needs a cheat to play Rastan music ;D

Being more serious, there's still an unexplored universe in bitmap graphics and 2d gaming. The sudden lack of interest which peaked at beginning of this console generation was worrying, but we're lucky indie devs are filling the hole.

It's great we have planes, cars and any kind of transportation to move, but a simple walk is still enjoyable.

MRORANGE

I don't think the games EA and Ubi put out would benefit from Steam's Top Sellers exposure as much as an unheard of indie game.

When Mass Effect 3 was launched sales of Steam copies of previous mass effect games reached the top sellers list even though games were not on sale.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Hey Stump is there any chance to add a link to the user profile in the "taken by" edit that modbot does to his quotes?

fantomena

When Mass Effect 3 was launched sales of Steam copies of previous mass effect games reached the top sellers list even though games were not on sale.

Yeah, I remember the same thing happened to Medal of Honor, Crysis and Dragon Age on Steam when Warfighter, Crysis 3 and DA: 2 released.

Slyjss

I haven't been able to post lately because I just moved for some months to UK (thanks Erasmus programme!), but here are some games for a couple of gaffers.

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg

FTL -- MB-DB8A7B9348263732 - Taken by Toshin - Taken by BorntoPlay
Trine 2 Complete Story -- MB-18FECDBFB945C188 - Taken by Volotaire

So Gamefly has Runner 2 for $5, and $4 after coupon, which is the lowest that it has been yet. But thinking about it, the chance of it being a bonus for HIB 9 seems pretty high. So should I pull the trigger or not?

Voidguts

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last week, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg

Mark of the Ninja -- MB-851BCA881AC6C9C7 - Taken by Habieru
Trine 2 Complete -- MB-F0E5542F43F8E9F5 - Taken by Natty1

yup, enjoy

10 hours into FTL and I am still finding new ways to fubar my game. Funnily enough this is both frustrating and yet rather satisfying at the same time since I am still improving at the game incrementally.

I finally managed to get to sector five and would have made sector six too but greedily tried to squeeze in another beacon before leaving the sector and made a right pig's ear of it :/.

Now to see how my reward for reaching sector five affects a playthrough! :)

Oh and I adore the music. I'm tempted to get the current bundle just for the soundtrack even though I have everything else I require from that bundle!

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Hilariously, I googled it, and the top hit was your tweet asking the devs about it haha.
This reminds me when I was searching if there were any tips to get the last Prismatic Egg in Faerie Solitaire. The first result I clicked was a thread from 2012 on the Steam forums and while reading I noticed PixyJunket was posting about egg drop statistics. The twist is, I got the game as a gift from him right after I had just put it on my wishlist because I saw it on his profile and got interested, haha.

This reminds me when I was searching if there were any tips to get the last Prismatic Egg in Faerie Solitaire. The first result I clicked was a thread from 2012 on the Steam forums and while reading I noticed PixyJunket was posting about egg drop statistics. The twist is, I got the game as a gift from him right after I had just put it on my wishlist because I saw it on his profile and got interested, haha.
Haha, I'm all over that game, apparently.

Actually, you'll see my name in the credits of the sequel if it ever gets released.

Volotaire

I haven't been able to post lately because I just moved for some months to UK (thanks Erasmus programme!), but here are some games for a couple of gaffers.

Thanks for Trine 2, should eba fun, game, hope its OSX compatible. Won't be tryng a lot of these games until uni.

EDIT: ah a duplicate, no matter, I was thinking about purchasing the humble bundle anyway.

Def Jukie

For those asking for Volgarr impressions I picked it up today and played for maybe an hour so far. I'm really enjoying it but it is quite difficult if that's a problem for you. It's very challenging but fair at the same time. It requires you to really think about how to handle every enemy encounter and learn the levels. There are checkpoints but they are pretty far apart so you will be replaying large sections at a time. It really feels like a lost Sega Genesis game that plays like a combination of Rastan and Ghouls N Ghosts. I would say if you like old arcade style platformers it is a must play.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Being more serious, there's still an unexplored universe in bitmap graphics and 2d gaming. The sudden lack of interest which peaked at beginning of this console generation was worrying, but we're lucky indie devs are filling the hole.

It's great we have planes, cars and any kind of transportation to move, but a simple walk is still enjoyable.
I agree with this, but maybe not in the way you meant it.

Maybe I've missed a bunch of titles, but pretty much every recent 2D platformer/action title I know of utilizes infinite lives and frequent checkpointing to divide the game into microchallenges...leaving the territory Volgarr sits in largely unexplored. So I'm hoping some people take notice of that and we end up with a greater variety of games in the genre.

For those asking for Volgarr impressions I picked it up today and played for maybe an hour so far. I'm really enjoying it but it is quite difficult if that's a problem for you. It's very challenging but fair at the same time. It requires you to really think about how to handle every enemy encounter and learn the levels. There are checkpoints but they are pretty far apart so you will be replaying large sections at a time. It really feels like a lost Sega Genesis game that plays like a combination of Rastan and Ghouls N Ghosts. I would say if you like old arcade style platformers it is a must play.

I'd like to echo these sentiments, the games a motherfucker in the way games like Ghouls N Ghosts are, to the extent that once you quit the game you lose all your progress. However it's massively satisfying to make incremental progress though a stage, finally beat a stage, and then simply blitz through it the next time that you reload the game. It's not for everybody but it's a type of game that's been missing from the market despite the rise of super difficult titles that have constant checkpointing and is definitely worth a try at this price if you used to love classic difficult games.

Hinomura

I agree with this, but maybe not in the way you meant it.

Maybe I've missed a bunch of titles, but pretty much every recent 2D platformer/action title I know of utilizes infinite lives and frequent checkpointing to divide the game into microchallenges...leaving the territory Volgarr sits in largely unexplored. So I'm hoping some people take notice of that and we end up with a greater variety of games in the genre.

Well I meant it in a very broad sense.

When I was playing in the arcades (eek twenty years ago), I was often daydreaming about arcade/console games with 2d mechanics benefiting faster hardware and more memory available, moving the cap developers had from limited hardware. But we know how it ended, the trend dramatically changed, and pure 2d gaming experience became more and more rare as time passed.

But nowadays finally the strand has changed: indie devs can deliver "with ease" (opposed to "code-to-the-metal-only" required before) and with modest costs (opposed to billionaire mainstream aaa projects), so it's safe to assume the 2d gaming reality finally come back and to experience "arcade feel at home" is possible, once again.

It would just be an added pleasure having more "old school" jap devs on this route, and Keiji Inafune with his "Mighty No.9" is a good start!

Def Jukie

I'd like to echo these sentiments, the games a motherfucker in the way games like Ghouls N Ghosts are, to the extent that once you quit the game you lose all your progress. However it's massively satisfying to make incremental progress though a stage, finally beat a stage, and then simply blitz through it the next time that you reload the game. It's not for everybody but it's a type of game that's been missing from the market despite the rise of super difficult titles that have constant checkpointing and is definitely worth a try at this price if you used to love classic difficult games.

Actually, it seems that you lose your progress but if you head to the left it will take you to the beginning of level 1. Do the same from there and it takes you to level 2. I assume that it will continue this way as you get further in the game but I haven't beaten level 2 yet. It's a strange way to handle continuing but at least you can start from later levels if you would like.

Unrelated, that Hyper Light Drifter game looks phenomenal from an artistic standpoint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom