• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Hahaha funnily I've got a separate usb 3.5" kicking around somewhere along with a zip drive and a jaz drive (need em for work still believe it or not) but the main reason I don't have an optical drive is that the only one I've got is an old IDE one. The last time I had a motherboard that would take one was close to 10 years ago. Was a right pain when XCOM turned up as I had to download 12gb instead of just putting the discs in.
Nah, is that serious? You still need to use Zip and Jazz drives? That's WAY too retro! I never had one, are they as slow as the tape drives? My old-old-PC had one of those, and it took close to an hour to fill a 250 MB tape.

The USB floppy drive is super retro too. You actually don't use it, right? xD

And I had no idea that motherboards nowadays came without P-ATA connectors. Guess I'm too outdated now, I should change my machine one of these days.

Dude, if 12 GB seems too much, I wouldn't want to see your face when you have to download Max Payne 3, lol. 29 GB, I had to leave the PC on overnight (something I never do) so it'd be over in less than 10 years!

So since I started playing Rayman Oranges today three different friends have asked me either: do you have a family, why are you playing a kids game, and lol go play your children's game.

What. is. wrong. with. these. people.

So charming, glad I finally picked it up :p.

P7L118H.png

Dr Dogg

Nah, is that serious? You still need to use Zip and Jazz drives? That's WAY too retro! I never had one, are they as slow as the tape drives? My old-old-PC had one of those, and it took close to an hour to fill a 250 MB tape.

The USB floppy drive is super retro too. You actually don't use it, right? xD

And I had no idea that motherboards nowadays came without P-ATA connectors. Guess I'm too outdated now, I should change my machine one of these days.

Dude, if 12 GB seems too much, I wouldn't want to see your face when you have to download Max Payne 3, lol. 29 GB, I had to leave the PC on overnight (something I never do) so it'd be over in less than 10 years!

Believe it or not some design agencies still send InDesign projects on zip discs in 2013. Very few and far between but don't want to get caught out with my trousers down. Yeah and being usb 1.1 it's slow as shit.

Haven't had to use a floppy drive in years but I've still got about 4 different flavors of DOS and Windows 2.0 and 3.1 I'm tempted to have some nostalgic fun with one day.

So since I started playing Rayman Oranges today three different friends have asked me either: do you have a family, why are you playing a kids game, and lol go play your children's game.

P7L118H.png

Don't listen to them. My five year old daughter loves it too.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Daddy can I play?
Suddenly I feel like I'm 11 all over again. Discovering the demo of Max Payne, cheating my way through Jedi Knight, getting frustrated at the Oscorp levels in Spider-Man: The Movie and never finishing it... GAF, I'm getting old.

Ah...next build I do, I'm probably going to get rid of the optical drives period and buy a USB one for the one time each generation I actually need it. Or actually not bother period, and just toss the SATA DVD drive aside after using it to reinstall W7 (there's no alternative to disc for this yet is there?).

I think computer cases these days waste waaay too much space up front. Especially "stacker" cases which have space for 9+ 5.25" drives. Which is why I want to buy this thing:

Edit: The bottom deck holds a PSU on the right side and several hard drives on the left. The top is a test bench (or normal computer case if you put the side panels on) for regular ATX-sized boards.
What if you ever get the urge of listening to a music CD? An optical drive sure is handy, whether you use it or not.

I think I've read somewhere that there's a way of dumping your Windows 7 DVD on a usb stick, though I don't know if it's legal to do so. I guess it is, as you still need an original disc from where to extract the files and the product key to activate the installation.

That case you linked is really weird. Does it have enough room for a big graphics card or two?

P7L118H.png

HEY TELL THEM TO FUCK OFF, EVERY FAMILY NEEDS ORANGES

What if you ever get the urge of listening to a music CD? An optical drive sure is handy, whether you use it or not.

Usb DVD drive is the way to go. I still use it a couple of times a year.

I'm reallllly enjoying it, it's so fluid and fun.

Edit: Did you just troll me as well :lol.

Yep :p mind you the game is legit.

I just don't like it because I'm too old. Not that it is a kiddy game mind you, just that I died from missing a few jumps and thought "I'm too old for this shit". My platforming skillz must have gone away at some stage.

Pand

Ah...next build I do, I'm probably going to get rid of the optical drives period and buy a USB one for the one time each generation I actually need it. Or actually not bother period, and just toss the SATA DVD drive aside after using it to reinstall W7 (there's no alternative to disc for this yet is there?).

There is. Just used it myself, actually. All you need to do is create an iso file from your Win 7 dvd and use the USB tool.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

P7L118H.png
Don't feel bad. I had a coworker berate me one day due to me having a Mass Effect 3 wallpaper on my work's PC. Do you think I ended up crying in the bathroom for hours?
I did :(

The moral is: don't mind if someone else thinks it's a kids' game. That only shows you have a broad taste.

Believe it or not some design agencies still send InDesign projects on zip discs in 2013. Very few and far between but don't want to get caught out with my trousers down. Yeah and being usb 1.1 it's slow as shit.

Haven't had to use a floppy drive in years but I've still got about 4 different flavors of DOS and Windows 2.0 and 3.1 I'm tempted to have some nostalgic fun with one day.
Haven't they discovered the benefits of... what was it called? Oh yes, a BBS!

Seriously, Zip discs in the 21st century? I would never have imagined that. Are they still being made?

Now that you mention it, I remember my copy of Windows 95 coming in like 20 floppies. That shit was SLOOOOW as fuck to install, and required you to manually change the discs, one by one. I couldn't believe it when I finally got Windows 98 and it came in a single CD. It was glorious!

P7L118H.png

"Do you have a family?"

What kind of question is that?

The moral is: don't mind if someone else thinks it's a kids' game. That only shows you have a broad taste.

Well put.

HoosTrax

That case you linked is really weird. Does it have enough room for a big graphics card or two?
I think there's sufficient room around the edges to give you some good leeway if you want to add a video card that's longer than a motherboard:

I mainly just hate how my ASUS card sags and bends so much in a typical vertical case due to the weight of the tri-slot cooler.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Never do that. A game in the backlog is a waste of resources, totally pointless. Unless you have the time to play all that XD
I know it's hard to resist but there really is no reason to amass a backlog (DESPITE WHAT ANYONE SAYS) when you can just wait for any of the numerous sales.
I'll certainly try to have more restraint, as attractive as 66% and 75% sales can be. Most of those are releases I meant to play on the 360 but never did, so the new rig hype and seeing them on sale so soon took the best of me. :p

By the way, is there a good site that keeps track of when a game went on sale on Steam, like Appshopper does for iOS?

I'll certainly try to have more restraint, as attractive as 66% and 75% sales can be. Most of those are releases I meant to play on the 360 but never did, so the new rig hype and seeing them on sale so soon took the best of me. :p

By the way, is there a good site that keeps track of when a game went on sale on Steam, like Appshopper does for iOS?

http://www.steamgamesales.com/ has you covered.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I think there's sufficient room around the edges to give you some good leeway if you want to add a video card that's longer than a motherboard:

I mainly just hate how my ASUS card sags and bends so much in a typical vertical case due to the weight of the tri-slot cooler.
Oh, it looked much smaller from the outside. Seems to have enough room to prevent ventilation problems.

I'd like to ask you what are you going to put inside that rig, but I'd better not. I don't want to feel sad about all the cool electronic stuff you (North) Americans get at such great prices, and that will never come down here, or if they do it'll be at twice or thrice the cost.

Naaaah, that depends on your personality. I own The Witcher 1, and have recently gone back to it with some mods and a renewed sense of determination. And I'm having an awesome time now that some of the busywork has been cut out. Thanks, huge standing backlog!

The trick: It's a library (like it says!), not a backlog. Unless you're one of those people who only gets joy out of the newest games, it's a really nice feeling to be able to pull a game off the "shelf" and get X amount of hours of fun with no fuss. Putting yourself in the mindset that every game is a chore to check off the list is a great way to crash and burn with this hobby. I wonder if that's how some of the more cynical people on GAF came to be...

I like to think of it as my little black book of lady numbers I can call for sexy time. What a waste of resources!

If someone in Europe is interested in Rayman or The Witcher 2 (or any game that's roughly the same price as these in the North-American store), I'd gladly buy it for him in exchange of Sim City 4 Deluxe Edition (cause this one is way cheaper in Europe than in NA).

PM me if interested.

Edit: Done :)

Fireblend

Banned

P7L118H.png

I only read the picture first and I thought you were getting threats against your family through Steam or something :lol

Tell them to go to hell, Rayman Origins is all sorts of kickass.

Blizzard

Banned
Naaaah, that depends on your personality. I own The Witcher 1, and have recently gone back to it with some mods and a renewed sense of determination. And I'm having an awesome time now that some of the busywork has been cut out. Thanks, huge standing backlog!

The trick: It's a library (like it says!), not a backlog. Unless you're one of those people who only gets joy out of the newest games, it's a really nice feeling to be able to pull a game off the "shelf" and get X amount of hours of fun with no fuss. Putting yourself in the mindset that every game is a chore to check off the list is a great way to crash and burn with this hobby. I wonder if that's how some of the more cynical people on GAF came to be...

And one more trick: Don't add games to your library that you're not going to play seriously within the next few days... unless they're an extremely reasonable price. Usually that's five bucks or below, but I wouldn't think it a bad decision if you grabbed something you'll play next month off GMG for a price it probably won't be at anywhere else for a long time.
Everyone's different of course, so I'm not saying everyone should treat it that way, but it's definitely how I try to view it.

I get games when they reach a price that I consider reasonable, considering I rarely play games and even more rarely finish them. If I'm really interested in a game or really want to support the developers, I get it closer to release or at a higher price. If it's just a mild interest, $5 deal or whatnot. If it's basically no interest, I don't get it even if it's practically free.

And overall yes, I think of it as a library. Imagine yourself going into your library at the end of a long day, sitting in a plush leather chair, sipping an expensive beverage, and calling to your butler, "Jeeves, I'm in the mood for a CO-OP SHOOTAN GAME, would you check what I have available?"

wilflare

P7L118H.png

there's something seriously wrong with these people X)

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Guys, how long is Indie Game: The Movie? I want to watch it now, but I don't want to stay up till 3:00 AM or so.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
103 minutes.

103 minutes

it's built into google if you just type

<name of movie> running time
Thank you! I didn't know that Google trick, it worked with The Matrix, Inception and The Shawshank Redemption, but it didn't with Indie Game: The Movie or Total Recall.

40 minutes after my previous post and I'm still procrastinating. Guess I won't watch the movie tonight :/

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Thank you! I didn't know that Google trick, it worked with The Matrix, Inception and The Shawshank Redemption, but it didn't with Indie Game: The Movie or Total Recall.

40 minutes after my previous post and I'm still procrastinating. Guess I won't watch the movie tonight :/

Worked for me:

103 minutes
Indie Game: The Movie, Running time

135 minutes
Total Recall, Running time

You can differentiate between releases by putting in the year. E.g.:

Total Recall 1990 running time
:
113 minutes
Total Recall, Running time

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Worked for me:

You can differentiate between releases by putting in the year. E.g.:

Total Recall 1990 running time
:
I tried both of those search queries, and neither worked. Could it be because I'm accessing Google in Spanish? That seems strange, but it's the only explanation I can think of.

Also, fuck me. If I had started watching the movie when I said I would, it'd be over by now. Sometimes I hate myself for procrastinating so bad, I should FORCE myself to play or watch or read something, instead of wasting time doing nothing at all. This backlog ain't gonna play itself, that's for sure.

JaseC

Hookups is back.

I tried both of those search queries, and neither worked. Could it be because I'm accessing Google in Spanish? That seems strange, but it's the only explanation I can think of.

They work for me using Google.es, too. Could be a browser issue (e.g. buggered cache).

JaseC

I'm assuming you'll be able to sell that hat, if not immediately then eventually. Looks like I'll be installing Ubuntu for all of about 10 minutes.

No idea where to post this so i'll just shove it here. I'm replaying Dead Space and found a solution to the horrendous aiming dead zone when using a 360 controller - use Xpadder in the background and assign mouse movement to the right analog stick. This will overwrite the 360 aiming with emulated mouse aiming, which is a damn sight smoother. And of course be sure to force vsync from outside the game too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom