• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Welp, guess I just got locked out of my Steam library since offline mode decided to stop working because "there is no Steam log in info on this computer". It was fine for about a month. Unless I lug my PC over to someones house I'm outta luck for awhile. :(

Thanks Gabe, you dick.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Welp, guess I just got locked out of my Steam library since offline mode decided to stop working because "there is no Steam log in info on this computer". It was fine for about a month. Unless I lug my PC over to someones house I'm outta luck for awhile. :(

Thanks Gabe, you dick.

Damn that's pretty shit, I remembered a fix for when offline mode broke but it requires the login credentials to be saved. :(

didamangi

Thanks Gabe, you dick.

This guide works for me when that happened.

If you have your password saved then you can do this :
1) create file "steam.cfg" in the same directory where steam.exe is
2) edit steam.cfg (with notepad for example) and add these lines

BootStrapperInhibitAll=enable
ForceOfflineMode=enable

3) Steam should ask you when starting it if you want to proceed with offline mode

edit: Oh, no steam log in info. But give it a shot nonetheless. Who knows.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Umm...so I tried to login to Steam. And my auto login settings are gone. I put in all of my info and my pw and it says that my username does not exist.

WTF

Have I been hacked or something.

I think I have been. I had to put in a steam support ticket about being hacked. Day 2 now, :(

esai

Wow, you really do have a long list of unplayed games.

I'd finish up Max Payne 3.

to do that id have to start it. i once opened it, let the opening video start, then closed it. but you have made my choice and i will do as you say, cause i really like your avatar. thanks.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yeah, tried it and still locked out. Thanks though. uPlay's offline mode works, and I have GOG games and various EA and GFWL games that launch without Steam so I'll survive until I get back online. But man, life without real internet is brutal. This is what it must feel like to live in a third world country.

BadAss2961

to do that id have to start it. i once opened it, let the opening video start, then closed it. but you have made my choice and i will do as you say, cause i really like your avatar. thanks.
Thanks.

MP3 seems to be a love it or hate it type of game on GAF. But it's pretty, presents itself well, and has some of the most satisfying kills you'll ever encounter in a shooter.

esai

Thanks.

MP3 seems to be a love it or hate it type of game on GAF. But it's pretty, presents itself well, and has some of the most satisfying kills you'll ever encounter in a shooter.

so far i like it. the bullet cam is pretty cool. i wish i would have played the first 2 when they came out.

Danj

Okay, what the Christ is "Biontôt l'été"?

Bientôt l’été is a videogame for two players. Two players who pretend to be lovers. They pretend to be lovers separated from each other by lightyears of deep space. They have lonely walks along the shore of a simulated ocean, thinking wistful thoughts of each other. Thoughts from ancient Earth literature by Marguerite Duras.

Is it the kind of thing people will say changed their life or the worst hipster bullshit ever?

I have no idea what this is but that's a pretty cool looking chess board. Chess seems to be a severely under-represented genre on Steam. I'm guessing that's not what this game is about though :(

Just checked and it seems there hasn't been a new Chessmaster game for like 5 years now.

Joe Molotov

Okay, what the Christ is "Biontôt l'été"?

Bientôt l’été is a videogame for two players. Two players who pretend to be lovers. They pretend to be lovers separated from each other by lightyears of deep space. They have lonely walks along the shore of a simulated ocean, thinking wistful thoughts of each other. Thoughts from ancient Earth literature by Marguerite Duras.

Is it the kind of thing people will say changed their life or the worst hipster bullshit ever?

It looks like an early contender for the prestigious Most Dinner Datest Game of 2013 Award.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Yeah, tried it and still locked out. Thanks though. uPlay's offline mode works, and I have GOG games and various EA and GFWL games that launch without Steam so I'll survive until I get back online. But man, life without real internet is brutal. This is what it must feel like to live in a third world country.

Can you buy a pre-paid wireless dongle to use in "emergencies" such as this while you await a proper connection? Here in Australia the included amount of data is piddly, but even just a gig would be more than enough to go online and (successfully) switch to Offline Mode whenever Steam decides to act up.

Joe Molotov

I have no idea what this is but that's a pretty cool looking chess board. Chess seems to be a severely under-represented genre on Steam. I'm guessing that's not what this game is about though :(

Just checked and it seems there hasn't been a new Chessmaster game for like 5 years now.

Chessmaster was on Steam for a while, but then it went away for some reason.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

Battle20vs20Chess201--article_image.jpg

battlechessscreenshots_213013b.jpg
Battle vs Chess doesn't look too bad. I think it's called Check vs Mate now.

JaseC

Chessmaster was on Steam for a while, but then it went away for some reason.

And the Steam client itself had a built-in chess game when Friends launched:

3NsdRsM.png

Check vs Mate in the US, Battle vs Chess in PAL Land. Both are equally awful, although at least "Check vs Mate" is a play on "checkmate".

Sober

Yeah, kinda wished they kept those games in Steam. Sometimes I'm not really up for playing a game while chatting with a friend, nor is he, but this is something nice in between to keep our attention while mindlessly pratting on back and forth.

Danj

Check vs Mate in the US, Battle vs Chess in PAL Land. Both are equally awful, although at least "Check vs Mate" is a play on "checkmate".

Yeah but what I mean is, it seems like it's the only chess game on Steam. If you search for "chess", it's the top result and seems like the only one that's even remotely chess related.

JaseC

Yeah but what I mean is, it seems like it's the only chess game on Steam. If you search for "chess", it's the top result and seems like the only one that's even remotely chess related.

I know what you meant. ;) I was just pointing out the regional difference in the game's name.

Wok

So when/what is the next Steam sale gonna be? Will there be a Spring one? I am waiting for Sleeping Dogs to go on sale again as i missed it last time :(

There is the Linux sale, which should start soon and then end on February 20.

If I plan correctly, Ubuntu is 1 GB and TF2 is 12 GB.

Since my internet connection is slow, I am going to use this trick:
- download ubuntu-12.10-wubi-amd64.tar.xz for my 64-bit laptop
- tell wubi to use the installer
- install Steam
- copy the TF2 folder
- enjoy my penguin hat

Caerith

For the Steam version of KOTOR 2, what steps are necessary to get it to run at modern resolutions? I installed the missing content mod, but still have the in-game movies running at 640 x 480 and google just turns up hits from 2010.

For the Steam version of KOTOR 2, what steps are necessary to get it to run at modern resolutions? I installed the missing content mod, but still have the in-game movies running at 640 x 480 and google just turns up hits from 2010.

I can attest that the normal widescreen patch works, just follow the instructions.

Caerith

I can attest that the normal widescreen patch works, just follow the instructions.
That works for the base game, yes, but the movies (opening logos, opening scroll) are still stuck in 640 x 480-- so they're a tiny little video in the middle of an otherwise black screen.

Yeah, both names are terrible, but the actual game is great. Pretty much all you could want from a chess game. The challenges, puzzles and campaign mode are really interesting and make you play in unusual ways. For example, in one of the levels you can only capture enemy pieces if you own certain squares on the board, so it leads to a massive power struggle over them. In another, your bishops can resurrect your fallen pieces, if they go to the square where they died. It changes the dynamic of the match, a lot.

The only bad thing about the Steam version is that there is no multiplayer. Which leads into:
GFWL's brokenness does have the occasional upsides. You can also LAN your games with offline mode.
They removed GFWL from the Steam version of Check vs Mate, so it doesn't have any multiplayer. I'm sure a lot of people would still say they prefer it without GFWL, but meh. I bought the retail version.

JaseC

There is the Linux sale, which should start soon and then end on February 20.

Slim pickings, though, as there are less than 60 titles. That said, it'll be the good for those new to Steam or otherwise looking to bulk up their Linux library. Of the Linux games on Steam, all I need are:

- The Book of Unwritten Tales: The Critter Chronicles
- Unity of Command: Stalingrad Campaign
- Dwarfs!? (DLC only)
- iBomber Defense Pacific
- The Clockwork Man: The Hidden World
- The Clockwork Man
- Galcon Fusion

That works for the base game, yes, but the movies (opening logos, opening scroll) are still stuck in 640 x 480-- so they're a tiny little video in the middle of an otherwise black screen.

To my knowledge, there's no good way around that. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Caerith

To my knowledge, there's no good way around that. Sorry I couldn't be more help.
Well, thanks for confirming that there's no sense wasting more time trying to fullscreen the movies. I did manage to upscale the opening logos to fullscreen and the opening scroll to 60% screen size, so there's some progress at least.

Rapstah

Well, thanks for confirming that there's no sense wasting more time trying to fullscreen the movies. I did manage to upscale the opening logos to fullscreen and the opening scroll to 60% screen size, so there's some progress at least.

There is a pack of higher-resolution movies available from Lucasarts somewhere. I think it brings them up to 1024*768, but it might not be compatible with the Steam version. I remember getting them back in 2005 from the same place where they hosted patches.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
There is a pack of higher-resolution movies available from Lucasarts somewhere. I think it brings them up to 1024*768, but it might not be compatible with the Steam version. I remember getting them back in 2005 from the same place where they hosted patches.
http://www.fileplanet.com/157381/15...he-Old-Republic-II---High-Quality-Movie-Patch

Don't know if it works. Just gave up on getting KOTOR1 to work (keeps permanently minimizing) and am downloading KOTOR2 right now.

Zizbuka

Banned
So when/what is the next Steam sale gonna be? Will there be a Spring one? I am waiting for Sleeping Dogs to go on sale again as i missed it last time :(

I don't remember, is there usually a Valentine sale? My son wants New Vegas badly, I'm trying to get him to hold out for a sale.

Forkball

How is Borderlands 2? I played the first Borderlands but got bored after about eight hours because I kept fighting the same enemies over and over and the quests weren't interesting (plus Gamespy).

JaseC

I don't remember, is there usually a Valentine sale? My son wants New Vegas badly, I'm trying to get him to hold out for a sale.

Steam's regular annual sales are the following:

- Summer Sale (July)
- QuakeCon Sale (August)
- Halloween Sale (October)
- Autumn Sale (November)
- Winter Sale (December)

(Spring gets the cold shoulder. :()

Between those you have the occasional sale coincident with a particular event (such as the upcoming sale to celebrate Steam Linux coming out of beta) and publisher-specific sales that last anywhere from a few days to a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom