• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is the stick of truth still coming out in 3 weeks? The steam page seems incorrect as it still states THQ as the publisher.

THQ delayed it into May late last year (somebody forgot to tell Valve), and Ubi gave a vague "calendar 2013" in its post-purchase announcement. We'll likely get a concrete date next month.

Gowans

Hey guys just to say I'm still happy to buy gifts for people from steam (UK) in return for paypal.

Helped a gaffer out with £29.99 BioShock Infinite today.

Just PM me

didamangi

Have you actually done this though? Getting steam to run in linux on a 64 bit system is an adventure in itself.

My knowledge of Linux is very minimal but I successfully installed Ubuntu 12.10 x64 (dual booting, not using wubi) a few days ago and the experience is a positive one. Easy to install and every problems/question I had is solved/answered with a quick google search.

Even installing the latest AMD beta driver for my 6850 is just as easy as the windows version, which is a nice surprise (although the performance isn't that great, admittedly)

Vw5RfGh.jpg
F83960A00389FE68608DDE640F401197C0CCB7D4

Acidote

I've just tried it through virtualbox, but TF2 won't load properly and crashes after you hear and see a black screen of the valve logo.

HoosTrax

I wonder how rare the Tux hat (or w/e it turns out to be) is going to be. If it's a few bucks at least, I'll give Ubuntu a try...haven't really messed with Linux since Gentoo. Hopefully Linux requires less fussing around under the hood with the console these days, I hate having to waste my time Googling fixes to various issues or looking through bash references.

Just upgraded from an AMD Phenom II X4 955 and Radeon 5770 to Intel Core i5 3570K 3.4GHz and Radeon 7850 -

What should I play to test this bad boy out?? (I probably already own it on Steam)

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I have Linux running on a Pentium 4 on a 6 gig hard drive. The same Pentium 4 has Steam and TF2 installed on a 30 gig Windows Hard Drive.

I wonder if I can link the FAT32 TF2 drive on Linux and run TF2 out of it.

Time to do some research.

Wok

I wonder how rare the Tux hat (or w/e it turns out to be) is going to be. If it's a few bucks at least, I'll give Ubuntu a try...haven't really messed with Linux since Gentoo. Hopefully Linux requires less fussing around under the hood with the console these days, I hate having to waste my time Googling fixes to various issues or looking through bash references.

I had some problems with my wifi USB adapter Belkin N300.

Acidote

Running TF2 inside virtualbox is not a great idea, for old games yes it might work but TF2 no.

I know it's not, but I think I'll be able to run it long enough to get the item. It's more curiosity than anything else because I have an old machine TF2 capable around where I could install linux if I had to.

Danj

If you play TF2 on Linux between the beginning of the sale (presumably next week) and the end of the month, you'll receive a Tux-related item.

Is there a way to do this with a Linux-on-a-USB-stick thing? Like, an Ubuntu LiveUSB or something? Cos I don't wanna actually install Linux on my gaming machine right now.

My knowledge of Linux is very minimal but I successfully installed Ubuntu 12.10 x64 (dual booting, not using wubi) a few days ago and the experience is a positive one. Easy to install and every problems/question I had is solved/answered with a quick google search.

Even installing the latest AMD beta driver for my 6850 is just as easy as the windows version, which is a nice surprise (although the performance isn't that great, admittedly)

I'm just saying it's not as easy as he expects it to be. There is going to be another hour tacked on with random message board googling and terminal copy pasting.

My experience so far has been positive so far as well (other than performance too but that seems to be an amd problem).

You were using gentoo which is the hardest of hardcores iirc. Ubuntu is super nice and slick and user friendly. You'll still be messing with the terminal some but it's nothing too crazy.

What the hell is wubi? I'm going to need like 10 guides to get that penguin hat.
It's just a exe you run in windows to get linux on your computer. The whole thing is easier than you think. If I get bored tonight I'll type up a step by step guide as a lot of people will be attempting it in the next few days.
Is there a way to do this with a Linux-on-a-USB-stick thing? Like, an Ubuntu LiveUSB or something? Cos I don't wanna actually install Linux on my gaming machine right now.

There is. You just need a gig or so.

Edit: double post >.>

I bought a $30 CM case, modded it a tad, and filled it up with my tier 2 parts.

I'm loving it to boot in the morning, chrome and steam sync, and it works pretty well even with chipset graphics and no official drivers for anything.

All I can play is basically Aquaria but that will change when I throw in my 6970 later this year.

So to recap it's an unpolished, glitchy yet stable, great OS (Linux Mint) for tier 2 parts, and perfect for using with some coffee in the morning, love it :p.

I will be doing this when I upgrade later this year. I already have an extra cheapie GPU sitting around, and when I upgrade, my mobo and processor will both be out of my tower. How is that $30 case treating you? And what did you do for a power supply? I don't want to overdo it but I don't want to go ultra cheap after losing a mobo to a shitty PSU last year.

I like to strip CM cases for their sexy black frames and use those for my 'case,' but as far as cheap cases the CM Elite is soo damn nice, it has a an acrylic side panel and everything and it has a really solid feel of quality. I have a friend that works for a company called Total Seminar, and they make hundreds of computers for their classes around the US, they use the elite, it's really nice for the price point.

http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6654

I got lucky with the power supply, a neighbor needed some help with his siding and he hooked me up with a nice antec from his last build, basically don't spend more than $40 bucks or so and stay less than 600 watts. Antec is my favorite on the cheap end, very stable and dependable in my experience. Get something bronze rated.

It's a spare parts machine, so just ask your neighbors :p.

It's just a exe you run in windows to get linux on your computer. The whole thing is easier than you think. If I get bored tonight I'll type up a step by step guide as a lot of people will be attempting it in the next few days.

That would be great, that USB method sounds pretty convenient as well.

ShaneB

Just as I was thinking about Unity of Command,it's the daily deal. I may check it out, have always heard great things.

And yes, I want a chess game on Steam too! lol

Just as I was thinking about Unity of Command,it's the daily deal. I may check it out, have always heard great things.

And yes, I want a chess game on Steam too! lol

Please do. Turn based war gaming at its best. Make sure you take care of those supply routes!

Blizzard

Banned
No fun allowed. I think Microsoft canned all of the hidden easter egg games in their products like Excel and Word.
Yeah, I think I mostly started using Microsoft products after those went away. :( I remember the weird folder rename easter egg in Windows 95 though.

Regarding Steam, I haven't seen the daily deal on the front page in two days. Is it showing up for anyone else?

Exuro

Dang 6.5 million online. What's the current record? Wonder when we'll hit 7.

Also, Dota 2 is like 1k away from dethroning Skyrim.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Goddammit, Steamapps folder is linked to another drive, but Steam Linux won't install it, because it detects that there's not enough space on the local drive.

Even though the files won't be there.

I can't create an alternate installation path for TF2 either, because TF2 does not support that feature.

How the fuck am I supposed to do this.

Blizzard

Banned
2 days in a row the daily hasn't shown up on steam...WTF..anyone else having this problem?
As posted above, the same thing happened to me. Maybe they decided to remove daily sales from the main page for some reason. You can dig through the special list for 66% or 75% things to find them, however. I suspect there's also some news feed somewhere that lists them, but I don't know offhand.

Unity of Command: Stalingrad Campaign is today's deal at 66% off, $6.80 USD. It's apparently rated highly, but it looks like one of those strategy games that are for the hardest of cores, so I'm scared off. =P

Wok

Goddammit, Steamapps folder is linked to another drive, but Steam Linux won't install it, because it detects that there's not enough space on the local drive.

Even though the files won't be there.

I can't create an alternate installation path for TF2 either, because TF2 does not support that feature.

How the fuck am I supposed to do this.

Man, if symbolic links do not work...

Hanzou

As posted above, the same thing happened to me. Maybe they decided to remove daily sales from the main page for some reason. You can dig through the special list for 66% or 75% things to find them, however. I suspect there's also some news feed somewhere that lists them, but I don't know offhand.

Unity of Command: Stalingrad Campaign is today's deal at 66% off, $6.80 USD. It's apparently rated highly, but it looks like one of those strategy games that are for the hardest of cores, so I'm scared off. =P

I tried the demo a bit and I agree with what other people have said, it seems to be a more accessible war game unlike the hear of iron series.

Man, this TF2 Tux hat is like the earbuds all over again - I've got a 2008 Macbook with Intel GMA 3000 that can't run TF2 (I downloaded it and everything just to see a black screen and a crash :( ) and now my HDD is too full to install Linux outside VMWare... FML :(

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Man, if symbolic links do not work...

They work, I just have a different issue. I'll explain, because I have a feeling people will run into similar issues.

My Ubuntu machine is a Pentium 4 running Ubuntu on a 6 gig hard drive (I know). There's only 300meg free on it. There's also a Windows XP install on a 30 gig hard drive, with Steam and TF2 in it.

So, in Ubuntu, if I do a Symbolic Link of the Linux Steamapps directory (/home/<username>/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps) to the Windows SteamApps folder (/media/30gigs/steam/steamapps), Steam recognizes the files in it. However, it needs to download an extra 512 megs of TF2 Stuff (Linux binaries, obviously). Since Steam itself is installed on 6 gig hard drive with only 320 megs free, it says it doesn't have enough space on the disk to install it (It can't recognize that SteamApps folder is on a drive with 6+ gigs free).

To solve this issue, I had to move the entire Steam Linux folder (/home/<username>/.local/share/Steam/) to the other drive (to /media/30gig/steamlinux) and make a Symbolic link on the Linux Drive itself - that way, Steam can see that there's 6+ gigs of free space.

However, since I no longer had the SteamApps link, Steam wanted to download 10+ gigs of TF2 Files on a 6 free-gig hard drive. Not going to happen.

THEN, I made another Symbolic Link inside the newly copied Steam folder (/media/30gig/steamlinux/steamapps/ linked to /media/30gig/Steam/steamapps/). This time, I linked the SteamApps folder to the already existing Windows-Steamapps folder. Restarted Steam and it recognized the existing Windows files. Since it's now on a 6 gig free hard drive, it had no problem downloading the remaining 512 megs of TF2 stuff.

Now i'm having some connectivity problems (I don't use this Linux Machine for good, so it has some weird settings).

I'm trucking along though. This is a Pentium 4 machine and it can barely run TF2 on low on Windows. I wonder how it'll behave on Linux. Doesn't help that these hard drives are the slowest hard drives built by human kind.

If only my old QX6700 QuadCore mobo didn't fry, I wouldn't be having this much of an issue. I need to get a new mobo for it stat.

Edit: connectivity issues solved, now I need a new Graphics Card driver, which is not listed on Ubuntu's package thing. Oh linux, I find you so amusing.

Edit2: Found a Script that said it would install the latest NVidia drivers on my linux (http://ubuntuxtreme.com/howto/how-to-install-nvidia-drivers-304-64/), but I'm pretty sure it just issued an "apt-get upgrade", because everything is being updated on the machine. Good thing I'm not in a hurry.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Since you seem to know a bit about Linux, would you be able to help me solve my connectivity problems? If not, I will have to go and look for an Ethernet cable.

The solution to your problem is to accept the simple fact that Linux is the most over-complicated piece of software ever written.

I have no fucking idea what could be your issue. Maybe you're using the wrong hardware Driver? The Network Manager is pretty crazy in Ubuntu (for instance, it constantly tries to set a Ethernet connection on my machine, even though there's no Ethernet cable currently plugged in, which makes the WiFi signal drop every time it tells me there's no Ethernet cable plugged in. Sure, I have the Wired Ethernet connection manually set up on the Network Interface settings, but there's no "disable" wired network button on Network manager. Only "Disable Entire Network" or "Disable Wireless Network"), but since you're just trying to establish a proper WiFi connection, it should work.

By the way, that was my "connectivity issue". Do you know how I fixed it? I plugged in an Ethernet Cable. That way, NetworkManager is not pestering me every 10 seconds.

If everything else fails, download the super newest version of ubuntu and reinstall from the start. It usually fixes the problem for me.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
More Linux adventures:

So I needed a newer version of the NVidia drivers, right? Steam told me I should look for it. Well, Ubuntu package manager told me I was using the newest drivers already. TF2 refused to launch, because I had too old video drivers.

Doing a little research, I found a script that would install the newest drivers for my VideoCard (http://ubuntuxtreme.com/howto/how-to-install-nvidia-drivers-304-64/). Said script ran for 15 minutes, because it decided it had to update my fucking Kernel AGAIN. This is a slow ass computer, doing an apt-get upgrade takes a while. However, this is not the first time that I needed to do a complete system upgrade so I would be able to install new Drivers for something, so it's not that unexpected.

Anyway, after that is done, I run Steam again and it promptly tells me that I should install the "nvidia-304" package for better compatibility... but, didn't I just spend the last 15 minutes installing packags for the new video driver?

I say screw it, let's try to run TF2 anyway. Oh, it's starting, good progress... "S3TC Texture Support not found, please install S3TC Texture Support". What the fuck? What is S3TC? Turns out it's some sort of OPENGL Texture Compression support and I need to manually install the "libtxc-dxtn-s2tc0" package. But... I just installed new video drivers, why wasn't that built in?

Let's try that nvidia-304 package thing.... Terminal, "apt-get install nvidia-304".. Oh, it found it. Good, it's only 113 megs. Let's see how it goes...

This goddamn server is the slowest piece of shit server I've ever encountered on the Internet. It downloads 3% of the file and the connection just stalls. I have to Ctrl+C out of it and repeat the apt-get command to get another 3%, rinse and repeat. It's been 10 minutes and it only downloaded 57% of the package.

God dammit I hate Linux so goddamn much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom