• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Anybody want a Toy Soldiers key? Quote to see.

ibaVFEnRM7QXXY.gif

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I'm new to Steam, and mostly PC gaming also. I must say I am really liking it. Steam makes getting things easy and there's lots of good prices. The only annoyance I ran into is I bought Skyrim at full price and all the DLC, then a week later everything went on sale for 50% off. Is there any way to anticipate sales or are they just kind of random?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I'm new to Steam, and mostly PC gaming also. I must say I am really liking it. Steam makes getting things easy and there's lots of good prices. The only annoyance I ran into is I bought Skyrim at full price and all the DLC, then a week later everything went on sale for 50% off. Is there any way to anticipate sales or are they just kind of random?

Just don't buy anything unless it's on sale.

Also do not limit yourself to just Steam. Nowadays Steam is the most expensive one for some Games. GMG, Amazon, Getgamesgo, shopto etc. are much more cheaper, when they have sales.

Just follow this thread and you will see when there are good sales :)

Wait for the summer/winter sales or GOTY version. Amazon and GMG has some competitive prices as well. I actually bought less from Steam, and more from them.

xlarge.jpg

coopolon

Trying to play Steam version of Batman Arkham City GOTY on Windows 8. I got GFWL to start up, but after logging in and entering my CD Key it gives me an error when trying to download profile saying "The Live Service is Unavailable, or there may be an issue with your firewall...blah blah blah."

Tried with Bioshock 2, getting same error. I've turned off Windows Firewall, toggled UPnP, and set up the individual port forwards for GFWL and none of it seems to work. GFWL Marketplace connects and logs in fine.

Anyone have any suggestions? I don't' really want to spend a lot more time messing with it, my next step is to just download a pirated copy and live without the achievements.

drizzle

Axel Hertz

There's the two really big sales: Summer (Usually on July) and Christmas (On December, obviously). Those happen every year for the past 2 years. Those sales are massive, with (pretty much) every game on the service getting at least a 25% discount, but it feature different daily deals and other discounts, which usually go up to 75%.

There's a smaller sale, the Autumn or Haloween sale. That usually happens between October and December. It's not as good as the Summer or Winter sales, but there are some good prices.

During the rest of the year, we have Daily deals, MidWeek deals (called Midweek Madness) and Weekend Deals. They happen every week (unless there's something else going on instead, like one of the mentioned big sales) There's really no way to know what's going up in these sales.

From time to time there are also Publisher deals that extend anywhere from 4 days to a full week. There's no telling when those are coming up.

So, in other words, no, we can't predict when a game will be on sale (except the Summer and Winter sales, when everything usually goes for sale. Even then, we can't predict how much of a discount it'll get). The only way to work around that "issue" is to create a backlog on sales of games you want and play them while waiting for a sale on another game you want.

One thing that's a safe bet is, if there's a DLC of a game coming out (for instance, Dragonborn, for Skyrim), there's a chance that the main game will get a discount when the DLC comes out. That usually changes from publisher to publisher and is not a sure bet. Activision, for instance, usually only discounts their games 10 to 15% (even on the big Summer and Winter sales).

Of course, there are some games you can't wait to play. In these cases, we either buy it on pre-order (usually there's a 10% discount when pre-ordering a game), buy it from other legit outlets that provide Steam Keys (greenmangaming.com is one of those places, and they constantly provide 20% to 30% discount vouchers on purchases, sometimes even on pre-orders. Amazon.com is another place to find good deals on Steam-redeemable games) so we can register them on our accounts.

I, personally, try to buy games only when they're on sale. That way, even if it goes up for sale again before I play it, at least the "loss" is not that big.

Tizoc

Just a quick heads up, gamersgate.com has Deux Ex Human Revolution+Missing Link dlc together for $7, which is the cheapest you will ever find them for digitally atm.

...but yeah wait for sales and don't buy day 1 unless you wanna support the dev.

Trying to play Steam version of Batman Arkham City GOTY on Windows 8. I got GFWL to start up, but after logging in and entering my CD Key it gives me an error when trying to download profile saying "The Live Service is Unavailable, or there may be an issue with your firewall...blah blah blah."

Tried with Bioshock 2, getting same error. I've turned off Windows Firewall, toggled UPnP, and set up the individual port forwards for GFWL and none of it seems to work. GFWL Marketplace connects and logs in fine.

Anyone have any suggestions? I don't' really want to spend a lot more time messing with it, my next step is to just download a pirated copy and live without the achievements.
Try download this if you haven't already. I remember having issues with GFWL (cant remember if they were the same as yours though) and downloading it sorted things out.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Thanks for the advice. I bought Skyrim at full price because I really wanted to play it heavily modded. Not a big deal since I really wanted the game. Most games I can wait for so it sounds like I will do best just buying things as they pop up on sale. My PC got here right after the big Winter sale so I missed that.

I did notice Tomb Raider (which I really want) is $45 if ordered now. That's a nice deal since prior to getting a PC I was going to buy the console version at $60 next month.

Just a quick heads up, gamersgate.com has Deux Ex Human Revolution+Missing Link dlc together for $7, which is the cheapest you will ever find them for digitally atm.

And the downside to cheap PC gaming...I don't really want that game all that much, but for $7 I will buy it. My poor wallet :p

FloatOn

I'm totally with you on that one. I swear TD games are my nemesis. Not only do they pretty much all follow the same formula they are, by design to be the slowest, least free flowing and mind numbing experiences known to man. To think I used to get stressed waiting in stealth games (because for whatever reasons game design dictates stealth implies waiting). Only meaningful time (and I say that begrudgingly) I've lost to the genre is with Defense Grid and Anomaly Warzone which despite mixing it up by pitting you as the invading force it's even fucking slower.

What do you think of Orcs Must Die 2 and Sanctum?

I did notice Tomb Raider (which I really want) is $45 if ordered now. That's a nice deal since prior to getting a PC I was going to buy the console version at $60 next month.

I am sure if you wait two weeks after the release it will cost 20-30$ somewhere

Seems to be normal nowadays for PC-Games.

dani_dc

Yup, I'm pretty sure GMG had some 25% coupons for the game (making it $35) before, and I would be surprised if they didn't do that again either before or soon after the release.

Right now they have a few cashback/credit promo (7 euros in cashback or 10 euros in credit, so likely 7/10 dollars).

And the downside to cheap PC gaming...I don't really want that game all that much, but for $7 I will buy it. My poor wallet :p

While this does not apply to Deus Ex, which is redeemable on Steam (except for the Mac version), you should keep in mind not every game is, so be sure to check the pages of stores to confirm that games are steam redeemable before buying.

Everytime i read this makes me want to look at the user post log. There are console only guys that swear to the gods how evil and expensive PC gaming is, then they enter the fray and is all roses and castles in the sky. Just the cost saved on discounted games makes up for the higher price of entry.

Not saying you were in that group D. XD
I'm totally with you on that one. I swear TD games are my nemesis. Not only do they pretty much all follow the same formula they are, by design to be the slowest, least free flowing and mind numbing experiences known to man. To think I used to get stressed waiting in stealth games (because for whatever reasons game design dictates stealth implies waiting). Only meaningful time (and I say that begrudgingly) I've lost to the genre is with Defense Grid and Anomaly Warzone which despite mixing it up by pitting you as the invading force it's even fucking slower.
Sanctum? You thing Sanctum is worthless then? Because holy sh!t Sanctum is real Custom Sauce.

Coffe Stain are money robbing DLC whores, but that's not Sanctum's fault.

coopolon

GFWL seems to be down for games right now since I get the same error in Dark Souls.

Ahhh, this is probably the problem. I checked the xbox.com/support and it says xbox live is up so I figured it was me, but if other people are getting it it'll probably fix itself.

Try download this if you haven't already. I remember having issues with GFWL (cant remember if they were the same as yours though) and downloading it sorted things out.

Yah, I had to do this to even get it working at all, but now even once I can get it to start it says can't connect. But if other people are getting same problem it probably really is a live problem.

Relax.MX

Hotline Miami music suddenly stopped working.. I was trying to do A+ in all stage(Im in the level 10) but without music is just not fun anymore :( I try reinstall, verify the cache,restart the PC and nothing

Edit: Any help?

There was not that much DLC, was there? I remember 2 or 3 Mappacks and 2 free Mappacks.

The problem with Sanctum was, that when it came out, they still developed the Game. It took some months for the 4player-Mode to come out.
Sanctum really needed some mod support though I think.

Mononoke

Banned
Everytime i read this makes me want to look at the user post log. There are console only guys that swear to the gods how evil and expensive PC gaming is, then they enter the fray and is all roses and castles in the sky. Just the cost saved on discounted games makes up for the higher price of entry.

Not saying you were in that group D. XD

Sanctum? You thing Sanctum is worthless then? Because holy sh!t Sanctum is real Custom Sauce.

That and, most people own a PC as well as a console. So you would save money if you just combined the two. Most people don't use their PC just for one thing.

So when you take all that into consideration + all the savings on game prices, it to me isn't even comparable. PC is much cheaper in the long run.

There was not that much DLC, was there? I remember 2 or 3 Mappacks and 2 free Mappacks.

The problem with Sanctum was, that when it came out, they still developed the Game. It took some months for the 4player-Mode to come out.
Sanctum really needed some mod support though I think.
Extra maps, extra weapons and extra blocks. I did a very, very superficial calculation and all the extra maps + some extra blocks cost a lot of money relative speacking to the price of admition.

Not that Coffe are the only sinners here but since the game is so good the pain's stronger.

ShaneB

Anyone with a Calvin & Hobbes avatar is a friend of mine, so I will be paying attention to see if you'll be playing all these games you're going to buy now! :p

AColdDay

Hey, everytime I start my computer (Windows 8), Steam goes through a "Updating Steam" prompt where it is "Extracting Package". This isn't after several weeks of inactivity, this is EVERY single day. What can I do to get this to stop? I've googled the issue, and it seems to be related to Macs, and I don't see any good listed solution.

This started a few weeks ago and I'm at a loss on what to do!

JORMBO

Darkness no more

You see, $45 seems like a great deal for me since I am used to paying $60 when games come out. Maybe I will wait a few extra weeks. TR is my favorite franchise so I might get it day 1 though.

I didn't really have any plans on gaming, but I needed something to run Lightroom and Photoshop better. The PC doubles as a gaming machine too, so it's a nice extra perk :)

Buying Square-Enix games early is the biggest waste of money. Of all the big pubs they slash their prices the hardest from my experience. Fuck Hitman Absolution, btw.

Tizoc

@Darkness- Now that you're into PC gaming, you're better off waiting and getting any new game if it's going for under $40 digitally.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Buying Square-Enix games early is the biggest waste of money. Of all the big pubs they slash their prices the hardest from my experience. Fuck Hitman Absolution, btw.

I'm a sucker for DDEs and pre-purchase reward tiers (even when they don't contain hats), so within the next week or two I'll have both BioInf and Tomb Raider's Survival Edition sitting in my library.

I'm a sucker for DDEs and pre-purchase reward tiers (even when they don't contain hats), so within the next week or two I'll have both BioInf and Tomb Raider's Survival Edition sitting in my library.

And we're still trying to figure out how to pull you back :(

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Oh man, that is tempting. But it would also require redownloading AC...

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I definitely need to force myself to play more games, and more often. I haven't touched Deus Ex since last week, and I was really enjoying it.

Hey, everytime I start my computer (Windows 8), Steam goes through a "Updating Steam" prompt where it is "Extracting Package". This isn't after several weeks of inactivity, this is EVERY single day. What can I do to get this to stop? I've googled the issue, and it seems to be related to Macs, and I don't see any good listed solution.

This started a few weeks ago and I'm at a loss on what to do!

Exit the Steam beta?

Apparently you can get Ninja Blade for free from GMG if you link it with you Playfire account. It's not available in Austria, Germany, Switzerland, Guernsey or Japan. Wish I had seen that before I created a Playfire account :(

I'm too far gone. :(

Yup, we have a better chance just waiting it out until you buy everything.

God knows what'll happen then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom