• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ketch

You shouldn't be at risk of destroying your computer, but it is a good idea to use an external hard disk or something instead of your main hard disk, in case you mess up the formatting. :p

Oh man, don't say stuff like that... I don't even know what you're talking about. I don't have an external hard disk, am I going to die!??

Why would you have to format your hard drive? Guess I'll find out... the good news is there's nothing really important on here, worse comes to worse I guess i'd have to buy a copy of windows and redownload all my games... it might actually be a good idea to delete everything and start over. Things are looking up!

jediyoshi

Oh man, don't say stuff like that... I don't even know what you're talking about. I don't have an external hard disk, am I going to die!??

Why would you have to format your hard drive? Guess I'll find out... the good news is there's nothing really important on here, worse comes to worse I guess i'd have to buy a copy of windows and redownload all my games... it might actually be a good idea to delete everything and start over. Things are looking up!

The ubuntu windows installer is pretty foolproof. You'd have to go out of your way to fubar it up past trying to get steam and games working.

allansm

I'm not sure what it was that I found so engrossing about Skyrim vanilla that I hammered through the entirety of the game in a few short weeks and managed to nab all of the achievements. Whatever it was that compelled me to do so sure isn't present in the Dragonborn DLC. I don't have that same burning desire to go to and explore every undiscovered location that appears on my compass and fight my way through every generic dungeon.

At this rate I'll probably just try to hammer through the main story content of the dlc and move on to a different game.

Same thing happened to me. I think the problem is that the setting is not a huge departure different from vanilla, at least I was expecting something closer to morrowind, but the apart from a few locations it's just more Skyrim. The Shivering Isles were so different from vanilla Oblivion that I enjoyed the expansion a lot, even though I was tired of Oblivion at the time it launched.

Blizzard

Banned

Well it depends how it's installed. I'll let people who are more familiar with the Ubuntu installation process point you in the right direction. Basically, imagine you were installing Windows...Windows takes up a bunch of space on your hard disk, and sets up your hard disk to handle files, using something called a filesystem (once upon a time, FAT32, nowadays, NTFS).

For someone who is going to run Linux, they could have Linux on a DVD or USB drive and boot from that (there is something called a LiveCD or I guess LiveDVD that allows this) -- in this case, Linux isn't in the hard disk at all, it just runs its software from the DVD. Or, someone could install Linux onto a hard disk, like Windows, or they could install something onto a "partition", which is part of a hard disk.

If you don't know what formatting or partitioning drives are, there are probably threads and people who can help you, so just ask. :)

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Ok here is how I got steam running under linux. YMMW and there are probably a heap of better/quicker ways, but if you probably just want the hat it should work or close enough. I'm running a couple of years old Windows 8 box with an AMD card.

Big disclaimer...I didn't get TF2 running with this method, just Counter Strike and FTL. This is simply because I don't want to download all that 12GB of data for a hat (Australian internet here and the fuck is TF2 12GB?). But I imagine it will work just as well for it too.

--- TL;DR ---
* Download a Linux Lite iso
* Burn it to DVD or make a bootable USB drive
* Boot into it, run steam
* Maybe dick around with your file system if you want more space

--- Getting Linux Running ---
* Download the Linux Lite iso from http://sourceforge.net/projects/linuxlite/ will be about 720MB. It comes with all the shits and bits you will need.
* Download the Universal USB Installer from http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/
* Run UUI and select "Linux Other" and the iso you downloaded above. Select a USB drive with 2GB+ and let it install.
* You now have a bootable USB drive with linux+steam.
* So reboot, you may need to press F8 or similar whilst booting to get a menu. Once you do, select the USB drive and you will see the next linux menu.
* Select the default option, which is to run linux in "live mode" (nothing is changed on your PC).
* When it pops up to login, type "root" for the username and just leave the password blank by pressing Enter.
* Ok so wait a while and you have linux running. First we need to get your network going. If your PC is not 20 years old this shouldn't be a drama. Click on the two computers in the bottom right hand corner and select your wireless connection or set an IP address or whatever. If you are not sure how to set up your network now is the time to learn.

--- Getting Steam Running ---
* Hopefully the first section was painless. This should be easier. Go to Menu > Games and run Steam. It'll probably update at around 175MB.
* Accept the T&C. Enter in your login details as normal and do your steam guard magic if needed.
* Right click your games and install
* Hopefully enjoy your hats

--- But hang on, that doesn't work because I don't have enough disc space ---
* Ok one problem you will have with this method is TF2 is a 10GB game and you are probably going to want to use your hard drive or your existing downloaded files depending on your USB.
* If this is the case you need to do a bit of file system manipulation which is getting out of scope. The basic steps are:
- Can't you just add a folder library to steam? Well you can, but the linux version doesn't seem to give you the option when you install some games to pick this folder. Oops.
- So close steam
- Go to the folder icon down the bottom left of the screen. Right click any hard drive you see there (you will see your own hopefully) and 'eject volume'. We do this because it isn't mounted in a way that is useable to steam.
- Now open up a command prompt. It is the black >_ icon.
- Create a directory, say "steam"
> mkdir steam
- Now you need to mount your harddrive. Chances are the command is something like
>mount -t ntfs -o nls=utf8,umask=0222 /dev/sdb1 steam/
- You should now be able to go into the steam folder and see all your windows files (use "cd" to change directory and "ls" to list files. If it isn't the right drive, back up with "cd .." and use
>umount steam
to unmount it and try again with a different drive. To find the right device /dev/sda1 or whatever, try
>df -h
and it will list them all out.
- Create a new directory like 'steam' and change to this, it should be empty.
> cd steam
- Now copy all the old steam installtion files over to this new folder
- cp -R /root/.local/share/steam/* .
- This will take a minute whilst everything copies over.
- You can now run ./steam.sh from this directory and you should have many GB of space to do with as you please.
- But won't this break the link on the desktop to steam? Well we are linux hackers now, so don't worry too much about that. You can however create a symbolic link from the old folder to the new one. > ln -s source destination or change the menu link.
* You should also be able to then create links to the old windows downloaded archive files or copy them over if you have them. Unfortunately I didn't.

Don't know if that will help somebody or not.
The time I'd have to waste to do all this would be greater than the workdays needed to make enough money to cover the entire price of the Tux hat.

Good luck to any brave GAFfer that dares to embark on this adventure.

HoosTrax

I'm reminded once again why I hate physical media. I go to put the Ubuntu DVD in, only to realize the DVD drive on my HTPC is still broken (door jammed) and I never got around to replacing it.

Now to find a paper clip.

Edit: There we go.

Edit 2: Oh what is this...Ubuntu has a graphical installer with keyboard and mouse input and fancy shamcy installation progress graphics. I guess we don't use command line installers anymore, or roll our own kernels :|

Ketch

If you don't know what formatting or partitioning drives are, there are probably threads and people who can help you, so just ask. :)

I'm gonna try this installer and then I'll come back and ask for help, or share how awesome and easy it was.

Thanks for the informative help. Very appreciated.

zoku88

Edit 2: Oh what is this...Ubuntu has a graphical installer with keyboard and mouse input and fancy shamcy installation progress graphics. I guess we don't use command line installers anymore, or roll our own kernels :|

If you miss that, you can always use gentoo instead :p

HoosTrax

If you miss that, you can always use gentoo instead :p
I think the geek street cred has gone down a few notches...such is the price of convenience and modern-ness.

It's like someone went and reskinned the Windows installer. Also, it's kind of funny and sad that my 9600GSO works at normal resolution and my WiFi PCI card works without having to manually install drivers.

Edit: Ok this is kind of awkward...it's showing me all of the games in my library, not just the Linux-compatible ones. Does the Mac client behave like this as well?
screenshotfrom201302102.png

MRORANGE

Well TF2 is working but it really does beg the question of the number of users who come from a windows background that want to use Steam in linux is pretty small.

Steambox better be supported right, hopefully since there mass producing the hardware they have nailed the support for the hardware down.

Well TF2 is working but it really does beg the question of the number of users who come from a windows background that want to use Steam in linux is pretty small.

Steambox better be supported right, hopefully since there mass producing the hardware they have nailed the support for the hardware down.

It is probably pretty small but it is quite comforting to see 20 games I can play already if Windows ever becomes a problem.

Steam does run really snappily... Maybe because it is only loading compatible games but whatever it it it feels nice.

Why are you people complicating installing ubuntu by installing it on usb flash drives? Just format your existing windows partition and install it there!

;)

kennah

Why are you people complicating installing ubuntu by installing it on usb flash drives? Just format your existing windows partition and install it there!

;)

I'm actually going to do that long enough to get the hat when I upgrade my computer in the next week or two :)

Relax.MX

Well after a 80% of achievements on Hotline Miami i think is all, very good game, great music...news for a sequel or dlc?

Help me decide my next indie game:

-Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
-Vessel
-Home

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Given Squeenix's GoG->Steam release schedule, I'm assuming the Steam release will be six months later (though not necessarily to the day).

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Too big of news to be buried at the bottom of the page.

Since it's not confirmed-confirmed, no reason for new thread yet, but I did edit it into the GOG title. We'll new thread all up in this place for when the time is right.

Honestly though I don't see how this could be a hoax. If it is, the guy is staking his professional reputation on a hoax and that's a pretty bad move. The chain of evidence is pretty clear.

Since it's not confirmed-confirmed, no reason for new thread yet, but I did edit it into the GOG title. We'll new thread all up in this place for when the time is right.

Honestly though I don't see how this could be a hoax. If it is, the guy is staking his professional reputation on a hoax and that's a pretty bad move. The chain of evidence is pretty clear.

Awesome, thanks mate.

Ketch

Well I got Ubuntu installed and working okay (it crashed eventually).

But I guess there's no 64 bit version or steam on Linux, and the 32 bit version wouldn't install. The solution was written Greek so I figured I'd wait until the hat comes out and try again, maybe it'll be fixed by then.

Otherwise installing and getting into Ubuntu was super simple with the windows installer. I could see using Linux if I was only using my pc for browsing the web or using open source word processors, or if like I really wanted to muck around in the command line stuff every time I turned my computer on.

The pc locked up while I was searching for a solution to installing steam and then it kicked me out to some weird prompt that just said: "Log in to Ubuntu:" I didn't know what to type so I just tied "Yes please". When that didn't work I just hit the power button. During the restart it gave me the option to either start in Ubuntu or Windows 7.

So alls well that ends well. I'll give it another shot when the actual promotion starts.

Relax.MX

Well after a 80% of achievements on Hotline Miami i think is all, very good game, great music...news for a sequel or dlc?

-Vessel
-Home

Ok, i decided to start with ITSP and after 40 minutes the fuckin GFWL dont work...i log in my user i put my key and they say...i dont have internet...really?

hold me.

I wonder how they managed to get hold of the rights though. Seemed like a clusterfuck and not as easily resolved. I guess EA wasn't really interested in the trademark anymore, unsurprisingly.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, i decided to start with ITSP and after 40 minutes the fuckin GFWL dont work...i log in my user i put my key and they say...i dont have internet...really?
It's been a whole day. That problem hasn't been fixed yet? Fuck GFWL; though I haven't had a problem with it yet, I don't wanna face that shit next time I try to play a game that has it.

Solstheim seems to be about on par with Fallout 3's Point Lookout in terms of scope and size. Dragonborn is kind of better than Dawnguard in that the area is at least a different one rather than largely being a series of generic bolted on dungeons to Skyrim vanilla but it still feels incredibly derivative. The dungeons, that I have experienced thus far, are largely the same remixed elements from Skyrim vanilla. Solstheim is largely the same as Skyrim but the landscape doesn't appear to be as well crafted/designed. Solstheim feels a lot more slapdash. The southern part of Solstheim in and around the Dunmer settlement has echoes of Morrowind but the rest just feels like a barren waste ripped straight out of the northern wastes of Skyrim, from around Dawnstar.

The main questline of Dragonborn at least seems interesting enough to warrant a playthrough.

Nabs

-Vessel
-Home

I really liked Vessel. The tutorial is kinda of boring, but the game picks up after that.

wazoo

Gamersgate has all codemaster and some Activsion games now on catalog, all steamable, and some 33% discount on top of them now.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Gamersgate has all codemaster and some Activsion games now on catalog, all steamable, and some 33% discount on top of them now.

Operation Flashpoint: Red River is currently mispriced at $10. Snap it up while you can!

Edit: I also bought Hospital Tycoon and Jericho. A few bucks is cheap enough.

Edit edit: As well as Damnation, Fuel, Maelstrom, and Rise of the Argonauts; Codemasters' discount history suggests it has no intention of a greater-than-33% sale on the aforementioned titles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom