• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danj

That would be great, that USB method sounds pretty convenient as well.

It's just a exe you run in windows to get linux on your computer. The whole thing is easier than you think. If I get bored tonight I'll type up a step by step guide as a lot of people will be attempting it in the next few days.

There is. You just need a gig or so.

Edit: double post >.>

Step by step guide for a USB version would be great, thanks.

MRORANGE

Step by step guide for a USB version would be great, thanks.

Posted a few pages ago, seriously it is a pain to install an OS on a USB, just boot install from USB and use easyBCD in windows to use the normal windows boot loader when grub overwrites your window boot loader.

Danj

Posted a few pages ago, seriously it is a pain to install an OS on a USB, just boot install from USB and use easyBCD in windows to use the normal windows boot loader when grub overwrites your window boot loader.

Yeah sorry I just saw the post where someone had some instructions for USB. I'll borrow a USB HDD from work and try it with that.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I picked up AC from Steam and they stopped selling the DLC for some reason.
I'd heard that, and it's bullshit. Why would they stop selling the DLC individually? To make owners of the base game pay the full price of the GOTY edition?

Way to shit on your customers, WB.

batteryLeakage

Neo Member
Any news on new Linux releases? they just released cs:source and it runs remarkably well on my laptop. I thought L4D2 would be out by now...

I haven't really heard much, but games seem to be coming out from time to time. Recently released were Anomaly: Warzone Earth and Dwarfs.

There is also a recent Psychonauts Steam release, which is fairly promising. Its not to parity with the Windows version from what I played(no Steam Cloud or Achievements, performance not as good, some graphical glitches/omissions) but DoubleFine seems committed to the project. They are also releasing The Cave for Linux.

We could possibly see some new releases to coincide with the upcoming Linux sale.

Is there some particular hat for running tf2 on linux or somthing? If so to to get a virtual machine running.

Yes, supposedly Valve is going to be having a Steam-Linux sale soon and if you play Linux TF2 during that period you get an exclusive hat.

I'm kicking myself for not getting the Mac earbuds. I only have a PPC Mac but I could have borrowed my parent's machine. So, yeah, get that VM going.

Installing Linux was the biggest ball ache, so many things went wrong. It wiped my hard drive for one, lol. It was a spare with only a few videos on it, so no big deal... be careful though!

Damn hats.

MRORANGE

I can do a guide for a normal install it's really not that bad installing Linux, it's getting the games to run which people will have issues with.

HoosTrax

I'm counting on the TF2 fanbase being insane enough to drive the market for the hat completely into the ground.
Well one person can get infinite amounts of them as long as they make a small purchase fro the Mann Co Store, right? Or does Steam check for duplicate payment info?

Jzero

I couln't get Steam to install on ubuntu 12.10 a couple of weeks ago but it installed perfectly on 'Elementary OS Luna' today :)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Steam is DRM.

Not inherently; games, even those that utilise Steamworks, are not required to be tethered to the client (although in the case of the latter, you lose the Steamworks features when running the game outside of the client, which makes forgoing CEG more or less pointless).

How do you fuck up an Aliens game? It's like Tron, the world and lore lends itself so well to a videogame that it should be near impossible to fuck it up. You already have the back story present in peoples minds. You just need to make great gameplay. And how long did this Aliens game take to make? 4 years?

Your face is DRM.

TOLD

How do you fuck up an Aliens game? It's like Tron, the world and lore lends itself so well to a videogame that it should be near impossible to fuck it up. You already have the back story present in peoples minds. You just need to make great gameplay. And how long did this Aliens game take to make? 4 years?

SEGA and Gearbox announced the project in December 06 and officially announced it as Colonial Marines in early 08.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

More than six: Sega bought the electronic rights to the Alien franchise in 2006 and later in the year Gearbox announced it was working on a title, eventually revealed to be Colonial Marines.

Edit: Ninja'd.

Blizzard

Banned
It might be easy if you are like Mensa-tier or something, but it just looks like rocket science mixed with quantum theory to me bro.

These items are gonna be rare because Linux is almost impossible to get running and *literally* no one uses it.
I'm guessing this entire post is sarcastic since you said "literally"? Just in case you were serious, Linux isn't almost impossible to get running (there's help available in this thread alone), nor does it require incredible intelligence. It can take patience and time though, especially if you get unlucky with hardware support.

Not inherently; games, even those that utilise Steamworks, are not required to be tethered to the client (although in the case of the latter, you lose the Steamworks features when running the game outside of the client, which makes forgoing CEG more or less pointless).
What's CEG?

Side note, I -think- Scribblenauts Unlimited might be one of the games that can be run outside the Steam client, losing its Steam integration, but I'm not sure. Skyrim early on could be run outside the client, which was awesome since it meant you wouldn't be forced to update potentially breaking mods. That was changed pretty quickly though.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I can do a guide for a normal install it's really not that bad installing Linux, it's getting the games to run which people will have issues with.

I was getting it to run on a USB Stick install of ubuntu, but it was so slow (slower than running Ubuntu on my Pentium 4 and 8 year old 30 gig IDE drive) that I got mad, removed all my other HDDs power cords (don't want GRUB messing up with my windows install), got a 500 gig hd I had laying around that I did Windows 8 testing on, installed Linux on that and I'm currently downloading TF2 (can't even be bothered to copy the files over).

Well one person can get infinite amounts of them as long as they make a small purchase fro the Mann Co Store, right? Or does Steam check for duplicate payment info?

That's what I'm thinking now. I have a couple of extra Steam accounts, I wonder if Valve would be pissed if I used the same credit card on all of them (I'm not using my actual credit card from my main account, but my secondary one).

Blizzard

Banned
Ah, thanks. Side note, I still think it would be a good idea for Valve to make Steamworks available to people who are say, in the top 50 in Greenlight, so they could get their games ready for release in case they get through the process. But maybe there's some NDA and/or legal reason Valve can't do that.

gfwl still sucks
I am with you there. I remember the awful experience the last time I randomly decided to go back to SFIV. I think it took a couple of hours to get everything straightened out.

guys, check out this hilarious website: http://www.webhamster.com/

i made it my active desktop background because i'm crazy!

Dude if you like that, check THIS out!

xHVB8Cr.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom