• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
So guys...should I buy R.U.S.E? Is it worth it or should I just wait for Wargames to drop in price because it is just so much better?
If you have bandwidth and time, download the demo on Steam and give it a try.

I was fine with getting it for $5, and for $2.50 if you have time and like the genre I'd say it's worth a shot. It has human vs AI, co-op, Steam integration so you can easily play with friends, and some interesting strategy stuff with the ruses. If you don't have time or don't like the genre, then sure pass it up, but I'd say it's at minimum of high enough quality to be worth $2.50-$5.00.

Nillansan

Dead Island GOTY edition is only $6.78 on gamersgate, is there anything wrong with the PC version that I should know about before buying?

I started a play through last week. I have reached the fourth chapter, I haven't encountered any issues so far. I am playing with a wired 360 controller, but KB + M should be fine, at least according to my friend.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Dead Island GOTY edition is only $6.78 on gamersgate, is there anything wrong with the PC version that I should know about before buying?
Do you have the console version so that you know you like it?

see5harp

The tux isn't going to be worth anything. People have learned from the OSX thing and it's easy as hell to run a Linux partition (not to mention free).

Thanks a lot for this. I thought the performance was terrible compared to Windows, but I now think it's because I was using WUBI. Is there an easy way to save it for later? Ah, heck, I'll just PM myself with a link to the single.

How to install Ubuntu on your PC: easy way on how to do it.

1. Go to start, type in Computer Management
2. Drop down to Disk Management in that window
3. Select your active drive (one with windows installed), right click and select "Shrink Volume"
4. Shrink the drive to 25GB or 25600mb
5. Go to Ubuntu and download the 32bit version of 12.10
6. You can either burn to CD or make a bootable USB, I went for USB, download Pen Drive Linux's USB Installer
7. Open the app, select your ISO of Ubuntu and the USB drive you want to install too.
8. In the persistent file size option, you can set it to any size (4096mb max) if you want to try out Steam on the USB drive before installing Ubuntu.
9. Once completed restart your computer, remember to set the Bios to boot from USB!
10. If everything has worked you can boot into Ubuntu, depending on your hardware you may have no internet connection from WLAN, I reccomend a LAN cable.
11. Once you are in you have two choices, Install Ubuntu or try it out on your USB drive - click on install
12. Go through the basic setup options, Ubunut is smart enough to detect that 25gb space you made and will install it on that.
13. Once completed restart your pc and remove the USB drive from the computer.
14. Boot into Ubuntu and login, you will realize that you have this purple screen at start-up, we will fix this later.
15. Launch Firefox and go to the steam website and download the client.
16. Open the downloaded file and click install, it might ask you for your password, go ahead.
17. Once the debian package of ubuntu has installed you will have a steam icon on your desktop, click it and let it update.
18. Steam might download some packages that are missing in the terminal window, agree ('y') and type in your password.
19. Login into steam and download TF2!
20. I recommend click on the navigation bar at the top which says steam and search for video drivers while installing TF2. I also recommend doing any software updates that Ubuntu wants to carry out.
21. Once installed, launch TF2 and pray to Gaben you can get past the Valve logo screen.

How to get rid of the Ubuntu bootloader at start-up:

1. Turn on the computer and select Windows.
2. Login and download EasyBCD 2.
3. Launch the program and go to Manage Bootloader, select 'Re-install the Windows Vista/7 Booatloader' and then click on 'Write MBR'
4. Click on Add/Remove Entries and see if Windows and Ubuntu are listed, if Ubuntu is not there add and Entry under Linux
5. For Type select : GRUB 2, Name: what ever you want: 'Ubuntu' and for device: select the Linux partition.
6. Click on the Save button and exit program, restart your PC to see if it has worked.

You have the hat, how to remove Ubuntu:

1. Go to start, type in Computer Management.
2. Drop down to Disk Management in that window.
3. Delete the 25gb partition that you used for Ubuntu. (including the swap partition!)
4. Select your Windows drive, right click and click 'extend partition'.
5. Select the size you want to reclaim.
6. Launch EasyBCD 2
7. Click on Add/Remove Entries and remove Ubuntu from the list.
8. Save and restart the PC, your computer will directly boot into Windows now and will have no trace of Ubuntu.

I'm kinda new to steam and i just tried to redeem a £5 wallet code(live in the UK). They want my billing address for the purpose of "collecting sales tax". I thought sales tax was only applicable to the state of Washington in the US? Also, if i do give my address what will happen?

Rufus

I'm kinda new to steam and i just tried to redeem a £5 wallet code(live in the UK). They want my billing address for the purpose of "collecting sales tax". I thought sales tax was only applicable to the state of Washington in the US? Also, if i do give my address what will happen?
I believe the tax is already included in the price you see. It's that way on the German side at least. You can see on your receipt how much it is exactly and that's that. Nothing bad happens.

Jzero

Well, this picture sums up people with idle accounts pretty well:
I want it but i don't want to re-download TF2.
LLShC.gif

ZZMitch

When I tried to load Steam today this little box opened up that said steam was updating and checking for available updates. It has been sitting here like this for a while now. I tried closing and reopening etc. but not having any luck. Any ideas?

edit: nvm after like 20 minutes it started going

jediyoshi

Thanks a lot for this. I thought the performance was terrible compared to Windows, but I now think it's because I was using WUBI. Is there an easy way to save it for later? Ah, heck, I'll just PM myself with a link to the single.

Jesus, I feel spoiled using the windows installer now. That looks like its own personal hell

xJavonta

Banned
Ugh, I literally just re-installed Windows. Don't want to go through this Linux bullshit but I have a feeling that that penguin will be worth something.

1-D_FTW

Snappy. This update does seem to make things zippier.

And in answer to Blizzard's earlier question, doesn't seem to be using any more GPU power than the old client. Definitely not taking any VRAM on the GPU.

Blizzard

Banned
Snappy. This update does seem to make things zippier.

And in answer to Blizzard's earlier question, doesn't seem to be using any more GPU power than the old client. Definitely not taking any VRAM on the GPU.
Cool. Maybe one day they'll even discover some dark magic that will let you verify a game's cache while simultaneously using say, a chat window. =P

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I wish Steam would add an option to list all the games under a category on my library.

For instance: show me all adventure games.

Games have categories on their Store Pages, why not allow me to sort them using that in the client?

kennah

I wish Steam would add an option to list all the games under a category on my library.

For instance: show me all adventure games.

Games have categories on their Store Pages, why not allow me to sort them using that in the client?

I wish steam would install Direct X and that other stuff in the background so I'm not surprised by it when I play a game that I have installed but haven't run.

If you're buying The Club you have to manually update the GFWL client otherwise you'll just get trapped in an endless update loop every time you boot the game up. It will update and reboot the game ad naseum.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Nooo, the new update broke the tweak that let's you enlarge the font in the chat. :(
Any solutions yet? It's too small like this.

haikira

I think I've asked this question a long time ago on this thread, but can't see to find my post. If someone would be so kind to help me out again, that would be great. Seeing the new Ys games up, reminded me i bought Oath in Felghana and Origin a while ago and have never played them. Knowing nothing of the series, where should i start? Also, are things different with these two new releases and would either of those be a much better place to start?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom