• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

I don't like traps, though. It's so annoying in stuff like Baldur's Gate and it sounds like DS is making the entire game about that shit.

There are a few, but not that many.

An entire level is devoted to traps, but outside of that they are pretty rare.

Don't miss out on one of the best games of the generation.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Dark Souls is basically a Batman sim: it's about being prepared for difficult circumstances and overcoming the seemingly impossible.

Caerith

I don't like traps, though. It's so annoying in stuff like Baldur's Gate and it sounds like DS is making the entire game about that shit.
It isn't, apart from
Sen's Fortress
. The majority of the "trial and error gameplay" is just not running blindly through things-- getting backstabbed can really wreck your day, but it's very hard to get backstabbed unless you run into a group of like three enemies and try to melee them all at once. Just keep your eyes and ears open and move deliberately, and you'll be fine.

HoosTrax

The only hard part about Dark Souls is the horrific third person camera at times.

Especially during O&S, it was more like I was fighting the camera to be able to see where they were. Even worse was the camera going nuts in Blighttown swamp whenever you targeted those mosquitos. Basically, if hypothetically speaking, Dark Souls was an isometric game instead of third person, it would be quite easy.

Caerith

The only hard part about Dark Souls is the horrific third person camera at times.

Especially during O&S, it was more like I was fighting the camera to be able to see where they were. Even worse was the camera going nuts in Blighttown swamp whenever you targeted those mosquitos. Basically, if hypothetically speaking, Dark Souls was an isometric game instead of third person, it would be quite easy.
Under Options, turn off Camera Auto Wall Recovery and it stops going nuts. I'm surprised you even made it to O&S that way, Capra is nauseating with the default camera.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Are you serious? I'm not criticizing, it's a honest question. I had to leave Bioshock 2 like one-two hours in, not because I chose to but because I lost my save and then I probably just started something else and it got in the "when hell freezes over" part of the backlog.
Yeah, Bioshock 2 is legitimately great.

Does it work with Bio 2 on Steam even if you buy it on the Xbox marketplace?

I've never used the thing...
Yeah, you have to buy the DLC from Xbox.com and it will then show in the GFWL application and the game will see it.

12 hr on Risen and I just got my first decent armor, the game is not for all people but certainly deserved more love..

Is great the way the character start alone and weak(for real) you don't have points to follow, or a good map, the money is really necesary and you can't enter to house for steal like others RPGs, small things like this make the game great
Yeah, it's kinda funny how long Risen will make you wait for some proper armor. I felt like a god when I finally was fully kitted.

You would probably think the game is overrated, I'd recommend you skip it.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
It's nothing like Baldur's Gate, traps aren't detected by a skill check while if not you get damaged, you notice them in the environment and navigate around them. They're basically part of the level layout. And it's mostly all about fighting, not traps. It's an action game, not a round based CRPG. If you want an action game with a cool twitch combat system supplemented my RPG elements (stats and loot, decent amount of stuff to upgrade through or optionally consider) go for it. If not, don't.

Grief.exe

I don't know if its been said too much in here, but Tony is in the process of getting some Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Steam keys from Rhode Island.

He says hes pretty close to locking it down so we should see them become available pretty soon.

I don't know if its been said too much in here, but Tony is in the process of getting some Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Steam keys from Rhode Island.

He says hes pretty close to locking it down so we should see them become available pretty soon.

My post has yielded rewards!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Sure, it's not perfect, but it's certainly better than what Steam provides. I too have noticed games that aren't shaded, usually things that I bought in packs or bundles, but overall, it's a much nicer experience.

Bundles I can understand, I was referring to individual pieces of content.

Jase are you okay? Post if you're okay!

Today is a good day. OPP could've put it on sale, though.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
This isn't one of those "it was easy and I rarely play video games" troll posts, but Dark Souls really isn't that hard. Just take this cautionary tale to heart:

Just make sure to get Durante's DSFix and the High-Res UI and Subtitle Fonts mod.
And the Quelaag texture fix mod.
How can you explain
the dragon that comes flying out of fucking nowhere over a narrow bridge and burns you to death, right after killing the Taurus demon,
then?

Yeah, that game made me angry. I died 5 or 6 more times and never touched it again. Maybe I will restart it one day and try to play it properly, but I'm in no hurry to do so.

Grief.exe

Fucking Rhode Island.

oh man. please be true.

Some quotes from Tony over at CAG

Last email I got read "I am asking Valve for keys". So it sounds like we're just waiting on Valve to deliver them to him. There is some contract stuff we need to go through as well but that'll likely be expedited once we have product to sell.

Cheers,
Tony

Yep, keys have been requested, just waiting to get them from Valve it sounds like.

Cheers,
Tony

Source: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10498311&postcount=6058

Source: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10509125&postcount=6527

I'm a sucker for achievements and action RPGs so I'm excited to give it a try.

FloatOn

I'm just kind messing around with games I wouldn't normally give the time of day (the ugly bastard children of my backlog) this week. I tried From Dust and Magicka and they are both surprisingly decent so far.

From Dust is pretty much a sand castle sim for meglomaniacs. Then there is Magicka, the non-clicky tap dance on the keyboard action rpg thing.

I'm not going to talk about my brief experience with a couple tower defense games...
they sucked

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I think you misunderstand: I curse Rhode Island on a daily basis. It has nothing to do with KOA.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Great, thanks.

You basically launch GFWL app, then the game on Steam? It's the first time I hear you can buy stuff from xbox.com lol.

Yeah, you download the DLC through the GFWL client and then run the game proper via Steam. And because GFWL is so great, the DLC downloads and installs to C:\Users\[User]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\XLive\DLC\5454085c\00000002\8350b60cd2f90cdb187fab35ef6c9a52e4e11a80\content\ rather than somewhere normal.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Great, thanks.

You basically launch GFWL app, then the game on Steam? It's the first time I hear you can buy stuff from xbox.com lol.

Sorry, I should have gone into more detail since it really is a mess:

1. Purchase the DLC from this location.
2. Open up GFWL app and check the game add-ons tab in downloads. The DLC will be listed there.
3. Make sure you have chosen where DLC downloads and installs, it defaults to C: which is terrible IMO.
4. Once the download is complete, start up the game and the campaign will be selectable from the menu.

zkylon

zkylewd
Yeah, you download the DLC through the GFWL client and then run the game proper via Steam. And because GFWL is so great, the DLC downloads and installs to C:\Users\[User]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\XLive\DLC\5454085c\00000002\8350b60cd2f90cdb187fab35ef6c9a52e4e11a80\content\ rather than somewhere normal.
Sweet, now if that shitty xbox.com site would be nice enough to get over with "processing my request" after freaking 15 minutes of wait...

Sorry, I should have gone into more detail since it really is a mess:

1. Purchase the DLC from this location.
2. Open up GFWL app and check the game add-ons tab in downloads. The DLC will be listed there.
3. Make sure you have chosen where DLC downloads and installs, it defaults to C: which is terrible IMO.
4. Once the download is complete, start up the game and the campaign will be selectable from the menu.
Thanks. I'm currently against the brick wall that is xbox.com's Paypal processing but I'll get there, I guess, eventually.

Nabs

So glad I got those free xbl points a while back. I was able to pick up the gfwl-only dlc that I needed (dirt 3 map pack and bioshock 2 dlc).

oipic

Please keep up the mantra, Mr Winwood - the fate of many is in your (and Tony's) hands.

Becoming strangely obsessed with giving KoA a go, but maybe it's just the thrill of the chase... I might, however, even be keen enough to blasphemously pick it up on Origin if they happen to put it on sale before Tony can work his magic. Perhaps.

drizzle

Axel Hertz

I hope there will be a new sale on Amazon. I didn't buy a copy of it yet, but I really would have jumped on the earlier sales if I knew there were going to be Steam keys in the future.

Nabs

I hope there will be a new sale on Amazon. I didn't buy a copy of it yet, but I really would have jumped on the earlier sales if I knew there were going to be Steam keys in the future.

Amazon isn't going to give away keys like that.

Please keep up the mantra, Mr Winwood - the fate of many is in your (and Tony's) hands.

Becoming strangely obsessed with giving KoA a go, but maybe it's just the thrill of the chase... I might, however, even be keen enough to blasphemously pick it up on Origin if they happen to put it on sale before Tony can work his magic. Perhaps.

I am also the one who was responsible for Rayman being drm free too remember!

Caerith

How can you explain
the dragon that comes flying out of fucking nowhere over a narrow bridge and burns you to death, right after killing the Taurus demon,
then?

Yeah, that game made me angry. I died 5 or 6 more times and never touched it again. Maybe I will restart it one day and try to play it properly, but I'm in no hurry to do so.
The same
dragon
that pops up at the beginning of Undead Burg? Nearly getting killed by it on the first bridge should warn you that here be
dragon
s. Even if you missed it, when you get to the bridge later, you can hear it coming long before it can kill you. Souls games don't use audio cues lightly.

My playthrough, I had forgotten about it. Got to the bridge, saw it wide open, stepped out and heard the beating of wings and decided to step right back in. Also, someone left a note; forgot if it was a warning or an encouragement, but figured I should be careful either way.

Blizzard

Banned
The Steam top sellers list confuses me right now. Brutal Legend was in the top couple of games for a while because of hats, and now I can't find it anywhere in the top 100? And why is Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood in the top 20 at the moment?

The Steam top sellers list confuses me right now. Brutal Legend was in the top couple of games for a while because of hats, and now I can't find it anywhere in the top 100? And why is Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood in the top 20 at the moment?

I asked about this too because I saw Silent Hill Homecoming in the top 20, wth.

Unless it's a move to catch Konami's attention to get the other SH games that came out on PC released there?

Blizzard

Banned
I asked about this too because I saw Silent Hill Homecoming in the top 20, wth.

Unless it's a move to catch Konami's attention to get the other SH games that came out on PC released there?
Yeah, there's a Nancy Drew game in the top 10 now. I think it's just messed up in amusing fashion.

Grief.exe

There has to be some kind of glitch.

So many random games in the top 100 right now.

Nancy Drew: The Haunting of Castle Malloy is currently showing as the top seller.

With You Don't Know Jack being in the top ten as well.

With a whole bunch of random games throughout the top 30. Something is seriously messed up with it.

I just reloaded and now Hitman: Blood Money is the top seller with Nancy Drew: Ransom of the Seven Ships rounding out the top ten.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
The summer feels so far away because of this weather :( (it's still snowing where I live, got 7 inches today.)

It's summer where I live and it's hella hot. I wish it snowed in my country, specially with the crazy hot weather we're having this season. On the flipside, you wouldn't imagine the Steam Sales we're getting this year for the summer sale! :(

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I may be late here, but I don't care: Distance got Greenlit! (or is it Greenlighted?) Anyway, fuck yeah!

I hope they give a Steam key to the Kickstarter backers, as I'm one of them. I'm sure there will be some update about it tomorrow .

The same
dragon
that pops up at the beginning of Undead Burg? Nearly getting killed by it on the first bridge should warn you that here be
dragon
s. Even if you missed it, when you get to the bridge later, you can hear it coming long before it can kill you. Souls games don't use audio cues lightly.

My playthrough, I had forgotten about it. Got to the bridge, saw it wide open, stepped out and heard the beating of wings and decided to step right back in. Also, someone left a note; forgot if it was a warning or an encouragement, but figured I should be careful either way.
I saw some enemies ahead, so I didn't think twice about watching my back
or above my head
. Guess I was being careless, but that caught me completely out of the blue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom