• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zemm

Is Civ 5 giftable if I buy the GOTY edition currently on sale? I already have it, but want Gods and Kings and the rest of the DLC.

Deques

Is Civ 5 giftable if I buy the GOTY edition currently on sale? I already have it, but want Gods and Kings and the rest of the DLC.

Don't buy the entire GOTY edition, buy the upgrade. Also, you wont get anything giftable if you buy a pack/edition that contains the game/dlc you have already in your steam account

Varg

Banned
This may be a bit late for some but i just noticed that Robot Entertainment is having a 75% sale on their games. it was for this weekend.
  • ORCS MUST DIE!
  • ORCS MUST DIE! 2
  • HERO ACADEMY

Thanks for letting me know this. Was able to snag a 2 pack for ten bucks this morning.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
So Don't Starve is a really great time waster, someone gifted it to me and it has totally won me over. Super charming, really neat art style. The gameplay is like isometric minecraft with a mysterious fear element. The art style reminds me strangely of... I can't place it... okami?
Perhaps you're trying to think of Tim Burton (who owes a lot to Edward Gorey).

My fiancé was just talking about how they introduced food rot and refrigerators a few days ago. I haven't checked on it in months, should probably see what's new...

I currently have the Civ V GOTY Edition and I want to get the Gold Upgrade ($3.75 in my region).

What DLC is the GOTY Edition is missing? Will I have every content the game has to offer when I get the Gold Upgrade?

You surfed to the Steam website on your phone? It easier to just use the Steam mobile app imho. The teeny tiny font is not doing my eyes any favors.
This was my first time logging in remotely like that. So it just wasn't something I would have come across. On my Nexus 4 it seemed fine and later on I did install the app. Seems interesting but yeah as another poster said, its a bit slow.

Either way cool that you can buy like that. Steam has come a long way since the first time I used it with the Half Life 2 release.

HoosTrax

I currently have the Civ V GOTY Edition and I want to get the Gold Upgrade ($3.75 in my region).

What DLC is the GOTY Edition is missing? Will I have every content the game has to offer when I get the Gold Upgrade?
Korea, Wonders of the World, and Gods and Kings would be my guess.

Deques

Yes, you would get everything that are listed here, including the dlcs that weren't included in GOTY and the expansion

Awesome, but how well do these games work with a controller?

I don't think the first 2 have controller support. I'm unsure of Defiance, but I'd assume not.
Well that sucks. Thanks.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Gave in to the Legacy of Kain Collection after a friend said the price would be worth it even for Defiance alone. Apparent lack of controller support is a shame but I can deal. Maybe there's some random controller emulator solution I can use when I get to it.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
$4.50 for the Steam Legacy of Kain collection at GG is a great deal. <--- US link

I am sure you will see some good deals in a week or so.
Normally if a Game is bundled with a GPU, you will see the codes on ebay or such for 15-20&#8364;.

I got the Game for 19,50&#8364; from Nuveem 3 days ago.

Yeah the Nuuvem deal for $26 was pretty hard to pass up. You can still get Tomb Raider for the same price in a roundabout method by buying one of the AMD GPU promo cards for $50-55 then selling the bundled key to Crysis 3 or Bioshock Infinite (after AMD sends it out...) for $25-30. Magic.

This is what I did but in reverse. I'd already picked up the Nuuvem deal on Tomb Raider then decided I wanted Bioshock Infinite for $25, so I sold the Tomb Raider key I got with it. Would've been much simpler for me to just do the above in the first place and keep both games but my brain was behind schedule that day.

Daellon

Neo Member

Thanks for that heads-up! I've been wanting to replay these since they were added to Steam.

Gave in to the Legacy of Kain Collection after a friend said the price would be worth it even for Defiance alone. Apparent lack of controller support is a shame but I can deal. Maybe there's some random controller emulator solution I can use when I get to it.

Would you mind posting an update if you're able to find a good solution? I have a Logitech controller that is a couple years old that I will try tonight with their drivers, but I would prefer to use the 360 controller. I'll see if I can figure something out, too.

Coming up to the end-game of The Last Remnant now.

The thing about this game, is that you have to enjoy the hell out of it early on, to want to continue playing when the bullshit fights start happening.

While the PC version is awesome. I'd look into a mod that drops enemy damage by 10-20%. There are some fundamental problems with the game, but it would take some heavy-duty modding to fix those.
EDIT: Apparently there's an hack that lets players edit their party member's equipment. That is HUGE.
EDIT x2: And that's all the info I could find. Fuck. Well it's not like I'm doing any of the optional super-bosses.

Speaking of, I updated the gallery with a bunch of TLR pics. Most of them are of bosses dying...because I hate them that much.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
There are some fundamental problems with the game, but it would take some heavy-duty modding to fix those.
Yeah, when there is a monster drop crafting system yet the game punishes grinding, it is obviously fundamentally confused about what it wants to be.

Coming up to the end-game of The Last Remnant now.

The thing about this game, is that you have to enjoy the hell out of it early on, to want to continue playing when the bullshit fights start happening.

While the PC version is awesome. I'd look into a mod that drops enemy damage by 10-20%. There are some fundamental problems with the game, but it would take some heavy-duty modding to fix those.
EDIT: Apparently there's an hack that lets players edit their party member's equipment. That is HUGE.
EDIT x2: And that's all the info I could find. Fuck. Well it's not like I'm doing any of the optional super-bosses.

Speaking of, I updated the gallery with a bunch of TLR pics. Most of them are of bosses dying...because I hate them that much.

Fundamental problems? I really never had any problems after grinding for several hours. The first play through was super smooth. The harder difficulty is where it is at :)

Yeah, when there is a monster drop crafting system yet the game punishes grinding, it is obviously fundamentally confused about what it wants to be.

It is not that bad on the PC version compared to the 360 version.

Grief.exe

Fundamental problems? I really never had any problems after grinding for several hours. The first play through was super smooth. The harder difficulty is where it is at :)

Grinding for a few hours....
Grinding for hours....

You don't see this as a core balance problem? Nothing wrong with this statement?

It's pointless to grind when most enemies/almost all bosses level-up along with you.

It's kinda like FF8. You have to find the stuff that'll actually give you the advantage if you want to win.
FF8 has a very indirect approach, and can get through a lot of the game without leveling, or even fighting at all.

In The Last Remnant you fight all the time, and there's really not much you can do to keep yourself from leveling too quickly.
It's not as stupid as in Romancing Saga (a series most of TLR's key staffers worked on) at least. In the third game, if you spent enough time grinding in the first dungeon, you'll start fighting end-game creatures.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Would you mind posting an update if you're able to find a good solution? I have a Logitech controller that is a couple years old that I will try tonight with their drivers, but I would prefer to use the 360 controller. I'll see if I can figure something out, too.
Sure, I'll post any results when I get to try it out.

I can't log-on to GamersGate, anybody having the same problem?
Working fine on my end, I just made an account too.

xelios

Grinding for a few hours....
Grinding for hours....

You don't see this as a core balance problem? Nothing wrong with this statement?

TLR is actually one game where traditional grinding is counterproductive, serving only to make the boss fights more difficult--not less. Especially early on; there are exceptions later on in the game where it can be done properly.

I can tell you from personal experience that I went into the game the first time not knowing this, did as I usually do in RPGs and fought a ton of random battles in the beginning and ended up eventually running into a boss that was literally impossible for me to beat as a result (had to restart the entire game).

The only "grinding" one should do in this game is very min/max, involves specific enemies as well as dodging most encounters early on in the game and only doing forced battles. It's something you'd never figure out without researching on the 'net.

It's pointless to grind when most enemies/almost all bosses level-up along with you.

It's kinda like FF8. You have to find the stuff that'll actually give you the advantage if you want to win.
FF8 has a very indirect approach, and can get through a lot of the game without leveling, or even fighting at all.

In The Last Remnant you fight all the time, and there's really not much you can do to keep yourself from leveling too quickly.
It's not as stupid as in Romancing Saga (a series most of TLR's key staffers worked on) at least. In the third game, if you spent enough time grinding in the first dungeon, you'll start fighting end-game creatures.

Yep. Last paragraph in my above statement. You're spot on; the min/max strategy ideally involves passing up all but forced battles through much of the early game.

That makes his statement even more strange then.

The only way it'd make sense is if he was in the know on the min/max grinding strategy (edit: apparently so, he mentions the "proper way to grind") and was referring to that type of grinding or was far into the game. While the PC version did make linking battles less punishing and ranking up a slower process it's still ideal to skip random encounters altogether until a certain point in the game.

I can tell you from personal experience that I went into the game the first time not knowing this, did as I usually do in RPGs and fought a ton of random battles in the beginning and ended up eventually running into a boss that was literally impossible for me to beat as a result (had to restart the entire game).
Haha what the fuck? Can someone elaborate on the system because that sounds terrible.

Edit: Oh I see. Could never play something like that just on the stress that I'd be leveling too much.

Giard

Ok, managed to connect to GamersGate.
Since when do I need a PayPal account to pay with my credit card? I've bought games from there before and I could use PayPal without having an account...now it's mandatory?

I went through the 360 version of TLR with relatively little trouble.
The main thing is that enemies in that version don't adhere as tightly to the Battle Rank, so you could grind/quest if you're facing a tough section. I did just that for the 6-bosses late in the game.

The PC version isn't as lenient. It's more rewarding sometimes, but also more frustrating, since even the slightest mistakes or even a little bad luck will get you killed.

xelios

I went through the 360 version of TLR with relatively little trouble.
The main thing is that enemies in that version don't adhere as tightly to the Battle Rank, so you could grind/quest if you're facing a tough section. I did just that for the 6-bosses late in the game.

The PC version isn't as lenient. It's more rewarding sometimes, but also more frustrating, since even the slightest mistakes or even a little bad luck will get you killed.

Grinding late in the game is generally more rewarding and less punishing than early in the game, which is where most people messed up. Skipping early random encounters altogether is optimal. You were probably grinding on the right enemies at that point. You rank up more slowly in the PC version, actually. That was one of the positive changes for me and I actually found the PC version more fun/easier, but that could be because I already learned my lesson from my mistakes when playing on 360.

I grinded pretty early on actually. The proper way to grind is to fight monster several BR higher than you (you can tell when that is if you start the battle will low morale and if wasn't because you were caught off guard.

Perhaps you're trying to think of Tim Burton (who owes a lot to Edward Gorey).

My fiancé was just talking about how they introduced food rot and refrigerators a few days ago. I haven't checked on it in months, should probably see what's new...

Yeah that's exactly it.

Food spoils over time, and makes you sick when eating it when the bar is low... at least I think that is how it works so far.

It's so fun to design a little plantation and grow a beard in this game, I have a wormwhole in my base straight to a pigmen base to launch op's on. Yes this game is great :p. That's all I know about it so far, went in blind.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

Wow, this is an excellent deal. If you have any appreciation for well written and acted characters, action-adventure game puzzles and a unique take on the Vampire story, you absolutely need to pick this up.

xelios

I grinded pretty early on actually. The proper way to grind is to fight monster several BR higher than you (you can tell when that is if you start the battle will low morale and if wasn't because you were caught off guard.

That's pretty much the issue that results in any frustration with bosses (that there is a "proper" way to grind and it's not what RPG fans are used to, not that a change in mechanics is a bad thing once you're aware of it). PC version isn't as bad because of the slowed ranking up process, reserves gaining stats, linking not punishing you and various other changes, even if enemies are technically stronger. I'm not sure if it's possible on PC to gimp yourself to the point I did on 360 (having to restart).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom