• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Apparently Civ 5 is still the daily deal. So we have 2 daily deals.

Yeah, recently the previous "Daily" Deal has continued for a further day while out of the spotlight. I don't know if this in error or an intentional change.

Wok

Speaking of grinding, today, I have understood how to play Dota 2: the game is a grind-festival, but contrary to most games we are used to, you do not grind by fighting but you grind by last hitting. Knowing this transforms me, in the beginners' party at least, from the noobest zero-kill guy to the big boss.

Yeah, recently the previous "Daily" Deal has continued for a further day while out of the spotlight. I don't know if this in error or an intentional change.

Civ5 is still on the frontpage for me, I checked the news page to learn about Sins of Solar Empire. Guess somebody messed up.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Just as a heads up, Sins of a Solar Empire Rebellion is better then Trinity in every single way, you'd be better of waiting for that to go on sale then buying this one.

ShaneB

Speaking of grinding, today, I have understood how to play Dota 2: the game is a grind-festival, but contrary to most games we are used to, you do not grind by fighting but you grind by last hitting. Knowing this transforms me, in the beginners' party at least, from the noobest zero-kill guy to the big boss.

I played my first game of Dota 2 last night, it was pretty fun, just the amount of depth is intimidating. Been wanting to play a rts/strategy/whatever game for a while, and what appeals to me most about Dota 2, is just knowing that it's 5v5 format.

So Steam did that thing where it randomly uninstalls a game, but not really 'cos all you need to do is double-click and it comes back? Except it did it to all my fucking games. Is there any way to fix this without manually double-clicking them all, cos that will take like FIVE MINUTES.

Already did the .blob thing.

So Steam did that thing where it randomly uninstalls a game, but not really 'cos all you need to do is double-click and it comes back? Except it did it to all my fucking games. Is there any way to fix this without manually double-clicking them all, cos that will take like FIVE MINUTES.

Already did the .blob thing.

I'm at the same spot except it doesn't recognize the existing files at all. So it is taking days.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
One day we will get it for 5$ and it will be good because it was only 5$.

tumblr_la79lrdt851qdo0dkb9.gif

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Man they're putting the least interesting Steam games on these weeklong sales

Syberias are good but most people who would be the least bit interested have them at this point. But yeah, other than that it seems to be the junk that 's always 75% off during the entire duration of major sales.

You have a while to go. There is just a bit more to it then that.

Giran

That makes his statement even more strange then.

The Last Remnant is really one of those old school games where you have to take the time and learn it inside out and encourages community activity. Once you learn how things work, it becomes incredibly satisfying.

1-D_FTW

I like to describe Gatling Gears as a Steampunk version of Renegade Ops. If you like these type of games, it's a lot of fun.

I'd recommend Gatling Gears if you're on the fence. You are relatively large and slow in that game, but you are powerful and have a few tools at your disposal. So it has this more weapon management/crowd control style of gameplay then pure bullet dodging (although you do a bit of that too). For a top down shooter, it felt like it went in a direction that is fairly unique. Also, final level is crazy, more baddies in that stage then the rest of the game put together.

Sure, but this piece of knowledge makes a huge difference in the beginners' game. It is as if you play an FPS against people whom nobody told left-click is to shoot.

The problem with the way you're looking at that there are tons of heroes that are not supposed to be farming and it isn't about getting last hits for them. Both supports (in general) and gankers and some carries if you farm incessantly you're doing it wrong. You should be prioritizing kills over last hitting with bounty hunter for example which is why putting battlefury in his recommended items list is dumb as shit. There isn't a hard cold line of right and wrong, it's a in this situation with this hero when I need these items to win around this time, that's where the complexity comes in. Don't learn to ALWAYS do this or that, learn why you're doing that so in the future when you need to grow out of it and change it's easy instead of no I learned to not get kills but instead of last hits oh god how do i kill.

But yes overall getting more last hits instead of less is generally a good thing ;)

You need an EA account (which are now called Origin accounts I guess). I don't think you need Origin.

I see. I was wondering if it's similar to Dead Space 2, that kept nagging me about making an account but, no sir, I didn't make any accounts and played single player and that was it.

Seems in this case I would need to make the account no matter what?

HoosTrax

I see. I was wondering if it's similar to Dead Space 2, that kept nagging me about making an account but, no sir, I didn't make any accounts and played single player and that was it.

Seems in this case I would need to make the account no matter what?
I believe this game, Warp, Burnout:paradise, and Kingdoms of Amalur will not let you proceed, period, if you don't enter your EA account info.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Not very well at all.

Soul Reaver 1 and 2 may be harder pills to swallow but still offer some of the best early examples of 3D action adventure and are worth going through for the story. Your statement however does not apply at all to Defiance, which has tight platforming and combat even to this day. It's the grandpappy of modern third person melee combat along with DMC, but more akin to darksiders with its environmental puzzles mixed with combat bits.

It's almost too much fun once your bloodlust begins to dawn on yourself. Using swordplay and fast teleportation to zip between a few close combat enemies and using the moment you've afforded yourself to quickly toss an archer into a spiked object or throw him off the castle wall holds up against some of the more modern games in the genre. I'll have no such dissing saying otherwise.

Paging Mama Robotnik! Save me!

Hofmann

That's pretty much the issue that results in any frustration with bosses (that there is a "proper" way to grind and it's not what RPG fans are used to, not that a change in mechanics is a bad thing once you're aware of it). PC version isn't as bad because of the slowed ranking up process, reserves gaining stats, linking not punishing you and various other changes, even if enemies are technically stronger. I'm not sure if it's possible on PC to gimp yourself to the point I did on 360 (having to restart).

Well, that sucks. I love to grind, this one was no exception, and I never had any problems, even with the hardest bosses(PC version).

sleepykyo

Soul Reaver 1 and 2 may be harder pills to swallow but still offer some of the best early examples of 3D action adventure and are worth going through for the story. Your statement however does not apply at all to Defiance, which has tight platforming and combat even to this day. It's the grandpappy of modern third person melee combat along with DMC, but more akin to darksiders with its environmental puzzles mixed with combat bits.

It's almost too much fun once your bloodlust begins to dawn on yourself. Using swordplay and fast teleportation to zip between a few close combat enemies and using the moment you've afforded yourself to quickly toss an archer into a spiked object or throw him off the castle wall holds up against some of the more modern games in the genre. I'll have no such dissing saying otherwise.

Paging Mama Robotnik! Save me!

Was Defiance the one where you were supposed to block for "2 seconds, then sidestep the unblockable and counterattack" repeat until bored to death?

I felt like the high was overhead view Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen and the series got progressively worse from the very start.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Well, that sucks. I love to grind, this one was no exception, and I never had any problems, even with the hardest bosses(PC version).

One of the many reasons PC version is superior. I was smarter with my second/PC playthrough about how I ranked up so I never got to experience it that way, but it's good to know. I always tell people who hated it but "wanted to like it" on 360 to give it another try on PC. I've had friends love it on PC as a result, though some still just hate certain things enough to not play (like the camera).

You probably won't see higher percentage off before release

10% off + 20% coupon at GreenManGaming.

I am sure you will see some good deals in a week or so.
Normally if a Game is bundled with a GPU, you will see the codes on ebay or such for 15-20€.

I got the Game for 19,50€ from Nuveem 3 days ago.

Thanks guys. Is the 20% still active for GMG? I thought it ended a few days ago...havn't seen a new one up yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom