• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

I'm not sure why there is a [timed?] exclusivity for the PC remake of Final Fantasy VII. Square-Enix is usually pretty good about putting things on Steam, so I'm just going to assume this is the fault of the Japanese side.

Ya that was a really weird situation.

vidcons

Banned
okay, mark of the ninja seems pretty cool. got right up to the rescuing the ninja lord in the tutorial before i closed out. some areas already stand out, others were just a box with a solution you've already been told.

which i guess is the point of the tutorial. i just think it's kind of funny that they put something like that in. not a negative since it just gave me the opportunity to jump down, knife a dude, and stuff him in a vent for bonus points.

good shit

Salsa

mark is a pretty cool ninja

I still havent finished the game even though I was loving it. Weird. I think some other game came out.

I'll finish it this week now that ive been reminded tho

Zeth

Yeah, I need to finish Mark of the Ninja. Got it during the Amazon sale a few weeks ago, played through a few levels and really loved it.

This Steam marketplace is awesome. Just made £13 on some TF2 items I don't even remember having, especially since I haven't played the game in a little over a year.

The TF2 market is really only viable if you have genuines from pre-ordering other games, vintage hats if you played a few years back or traded for them and festive items if you unboxed or traded for any.

You can't just sell any old item from your backpack, there's a limited spectrum of items that you can sell and have any value. For example, vintage weapons go for next to nothing, at the moment at least.

koolaroo

The TF2 market is really only viable if you have genuines from pre-ordering other games, vintage hats if you played a few years back or traded for them and festive items if you unboxed or traded for any.

You can't just sell any old item from your backpack, there's a limited spectrum of items that you can sell and have any value. For example, vintage weapons go for next to nothing, at the moment at least.

While this is mostly true you can make a a few dollars by selling hats for refined then selling about 4 refined for a key which you can sell on the the market for about 2.20 at the moment.

Derrick01

Banned
they need to open up the market for all the items already

Seriously. I have 9 items that I can't sell and I'm never going to use them or anything.

And speaking about things I'm never going to use, where's my trade in store too? I have a trade in category of almost 200 games that I'm never ever going to play again.

Seriously. I have 9 items that I can't sell and I'm never going to use them or anything.

And speaking about things I'm never going to use, where's my trade in store too? I have a trade in category of almost 200 games that I'm never ever going to play again.

Thats going to be much more difficult to implement and I dont see Valve or publishers allowing you to trade games with others. I could see Valve buying back your games for a small amount of Steam wallet credit.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I hate myself. I just bought Sonic Ultra-Long-Name Transformed and its DLC. The former from GetGames, the latter from Green Man Gaming, which means I didn't get to use my $17.63 made from selling TF2 pre-order items.

I'm so weak :(

Derrick01

Banned
Thats going to be much more difficult to implement and I dont see Valve or publishers allowing you to trade games with others. I could see Valve buying back your games for a small amount of Steam wallet credit.

Yeah that's what I meant. I'm sure even with a small offering (even lower than what gamestop offers) I could make well over $100 with my massive list.

FloatOn

I hate myself. I just bought Sonic Ultra-Long-Name Transformed and its DLC. The former from GetGames, the latter from Green Man Gaming, which means I didn't get to use my $17.63 made from selling TF2 pre-order items.

I'm so weak :(

It's a really great game. Money well spent.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
It's a really great game. Money well spent.
I'm sure it is, and I'm not sad about the money. It's because I really shouldn't have gotten it, as I don't have time to play it, don't know when I'll play it, and I'm currently playing Runner 2, then Brütal Legend and afterwards... Well, I may play Sonic Insert-Kilometric-Name-Of-The-Game-Here Transformed next, pretty much everyone praises it as the best kart game since Mario Kart 64 and I'm hyped as fuck about it.

Since I played TF2 a long time ago I have/had a shitload of vintages, so those £1-£1.50 items add up.

Not sure where to ask this but I thought here would be relevant. My friend developed an app called Crunch Magic that helps you find games on Steam that you'll love and he's trying to get feedback to see if it's something people can or would use. It's essentially Pandora but for games. Anyways, I thought it might be cool for Steam users who aren't sure what to buy. http://crunchmagic.com/

Would a Pandora-like recommendation system be useful for gamers?

Grief.exe

Not sure where to ask this but I thought here would be relevant. My friend developed an app called Crunch Magic that helps you find games on Steam that you'll love and he's trying to get feedback to see if it's something people can or would use. It's essentially Pandora but for games. Anyways, I thought it might be cool for Steam users who aren't sure what to buy. http://crunchmagic.com/

First piece of advice.

We shouldn't have to log in. Steam's ID system is public, unless the user has it set to private, just let us input our ID and parse the data from there.

No need to log in at all.

First piece of advice.

We shouldn't have to log in. Steam's ID system is public, unless the user has it set to private, just let us input our ID and parse the data from there.

No need to log in at all.

Yeah logging in anywhere with my steam details is a deal breaker no matter how it is done. I'd give out my bank account first.

There's actually nothing sketchy going on with Steam OpenID login, it gets nothing but your publicly available profile info anyway. I wouldn't worry about it, even if it seems offputting at first. If you're paranoid enough not to want to input any login details to something a site redirects you to (with good reason), login to the Steam website yourself and then use the redirect which will log you in automatically.

So I impulse bought Civilization V Gold today at Best Buy. I was going to buy it through Best Buy then I figured I'd see what prices were online and if it was on Steam. Checked on my phone, went to the website, logged in and saw it was on sale for like $13.

I was able to buy it then have it preloaded on my computer since it detected I was logged in there. I was mind blown. Had no clue Steam could do that now.

That's all I had to contribute here.

HoosTrax

There's actually nothing sketchy going on with Steam OpenID login, it gets nothing but your publicly available profile info anyway. I wouldn't worry about it, even if it seems offputting at first. If you're paranoid enough not to want to input any login details to something a site redirects you to (with good reason), login to the Steam website yourself and then use the redirect which will log you in automatically.
I'd be more worried about sites spoofing the Open ID login page to phish passwords. I double-check and triple-check that the security certificate says Valve before using it.

As for why it needs your Steam ID, based on what I've seen so far, it's a personality test that uses games in your library. A questionnaire that pairs up games with personality types that like them and builds up a database. At least that's my guess as to what's going on behind the scenes.

So I impulse bought Civilization V Gold today at Best Buy. I was going to buy it through Best Buy then I figured I'd see what prices were online and if it was on Steam. Checked on my phone, went to the website, logged in and saw it was on sale for like $13.

I was able to buy it then have it preloaded on my computer since it detected I was logged in there. I was mind blown. Had no clue Steam could do that now.

You surfed to the Steam website on your phone? It easier to just use the Steam mobile app imho. The teeny tiny font is not doing my eyes any favors.

No he wants machine guns.

Exuro

My brother did this last week when he bought Fallen Enchantress and forgot to start the download at home.He was pretty excited about it as he doesn't have the best internet and got to playing it as soon as he got back from his classes.

xJavonta

Banned

What is this lol, I get asked a bunch of questions and a few games come up that I have to select in a small window of time. I don't understand what it's doing.

esai

This may be a bit late for some but i just noticed that Robot Entertainment is having a 75% sale on their games. it was for this weekend.
  • ORCS MUST DIE!
  • ORCS MUST DIE! 2
  • HERO ACADEMY

So Don't Starve is a really great time waster, someone gifted it to me and it has totally won me over. Super charming, really neat art style. The gameplay is like isometric minecraft with a mysterious fear element. The art style reminds me strangely of... I can't place it... okami?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
You surfed to the Steam website on your phone? It easier to just use the Steam mobile app imho. The teeny tiny font is not doing my eyes any favors.
That app is really slow, even when using a wi-fi connection. I never use it if I can avoid it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom