• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the one hand, yay new community update. On the other, boo PixelVision is horribly broken and needs to be patched. Back to the crappy default skin...

Already posted on page 203. I'm still undecided whether I should buy it or not.
Do you have the time, patience and tolerace for the archaic mechanics of these games? Just because it's relative "cheap" there's no reason to impulse buy them.

Saving grace is the narrative, at least in the first 2. This is one series that needs an update quick, the universe is really intriguing so it kind of being wasted hanging in the dev limbo.

Exuro

New community features finally adds a quick link to inventory! I'm liking the ease on switching between menus. Now just make a BPM-graphic styled UI Valve. That carbon graphic is terrible.

Chronoja

Do you have the time, patience and tolerace for the archaic mechanics of these games? Just because it's relative "cheap" there's no reason to impulse buy them.

Saving grace is the narrative, at least in the first 2. This is one series that needs an update quick, the universe is really intriguing so it kind of being wasted hanging in the dev limbo.

Don't listen to him. 3 games, 4.50 dollars. even if they sucked and you hated them beyond belief, $1.50 per game isn't something to lose sleep over. Go on, what have you got to lose.

or don't, whatev's :p

On a serious note though the real answer is to maybe look at a few reviews, screenshots. Make an informed decision on whether or not you think they are worth your time and money.

StuBurns

Banned
I just put all my Dota 2's up for the lowest price, it's cool we can just get crap out of our inventory, even if it never sells. I think it's strange there are nearly half a million Dota 2's for basically free, and Steam still sells it for £20. I wish we could just give stuff away though.

EDIT: I've just sold three of them, wow, that was quick.

I remember I really really liked Soul Reaver 1, but looking at some videos, I realize that the game has aged quite badly.

I hope they'll do another one one day, but Amy Hennig works at Naughty Dog now.

Exuro

I just put all my Dota 2's up for the lowest price, it's cool we can just get crap out of our inventory, even if it never sells. I think it's strange there are nearly half a million Dota 2's for basically free, and Steam still sells it for £20. I wish we could just give stuff away though.

EDIT: I've just sold three of them, wow, that was quick.
You're buying it more for the cosmetics it comes with. Didn't realize there were that many dota 2 gifts on the market though. Pretty crazy.

StuBurns

Banned
You're buying it more for the cosmetics it comes with. Didn't realize there were that many dota 2 gifts on the market though. Pretty crazy.
Yeah, more if you count the 'wrapped gift' version too.

I was mistaken though, it wasn't my Dota 2's that sold, just some TF2 crap.

I remember I really really liked Soul Reaver 1, but looking at some videos, I realize that the game has aged quite badly.

I hope they'll do another one one day, but Amy Hennig works at Naughty Dog now.
Think your decision is taken then?

No doubt Henning was a powerful force that shaped the series. It was really head and shoulders above most games back in those days. So yes, one has to wonder if it could get the groove back.

Yet a well done Vampire related game could do quite well these days. People seem as fascinated as ever with this creatures. At least teenage girls that is.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Re: Kain collection for $4.50

If jaggies and dated/"ugly" graphics prevent you from enjoying a game then I'll make an exception, otherwise there's no reason not to pick up the Kain games for $1.50/each. We're not talking about the shovelware shit Jase and I buy on Steam during holiday sales because it's cheap; these are actually great games (Ok, it's debatable whether they're ALL great...). If you like good games regardless of their age I can't think of a reason not to. Hell, someone give me OG Blood Omen and I'll play that sucker right now.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

If jaggies and dated/"ugly" graphics prevent you from enjoying a game then I'll make an exception, otherwise there's no reason not to pick up the Kain games for $1.50/each. We're not talking about the shovelware shit Jase and I buy on Steam during holiday sales because it's cheap; these are actually great games (Ok, it's debatable whether they're ALL great...). If you like good games regardless of their age I can't think of a reason not to. Hell, someone give me OG Blood Omen and I'll play that sucker right now.
I don't have a problem with old games, I finished Deus Ex a week or so ago for the first time and loved every second of it. I have a problem with spending more money when I know I won't play those games. I'll pass for now, even though they are really cheap.

zkylon

zkylewd

Is Soul Reaver 2 any good? It's the one I played the least and I remember very little about it.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Is Soul Reaver 2 any good? It's the one I played the least and I remember very little about it.

Hell yes, it's great. Story and game are very memorable.

RionaaM said:
I don't have a problem with old games, I finished Deus Ex a week or so ago for the first time and loved every second of it. I have a problem with spending more money when I know I won't play those games. I'll pass for now, even though they are really cheap.

Understandable. I just meant if someone meant to play them. They'll be cheap again and again, no doubt.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Understandable. I just meant if someone meant to play them. They'll be cheap again and again, no doubt.
And I may pick them up then. I loved the demo for Soul Reaver 2 back in the day, but when I finally got the full game, I didn't understand much of it due to the dialogue being in English without subtitles. And I got lost at some point and never found out where I was supposed to go. So then I forgot about it and don't know if I still have the game disc at home.

From what little I'd played it was fun, so there's a chance I'll get them sometime.

zkylon

zkylewd
Sold!

I'm left with an extra Soul Reaver 1 key, so first one to ask, assuming they haven't played it, gets it :)

edit: gone!

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver was soo good when I played it ages ago on PS1. One of these days, I want to replay it :)

I would have to get through my backlog first though. $4.50 is a steal and if you also have the extra 20% off available, you can get if for $3.60.

Nabs

The weeklong deal sets should increase the chance of Timeshift eventually ending up in one, right Jasec?

I just noticed a bunch of Activision retail subs in the registry. Timeshift, COD4, Vampire, GUN, and Monster Jam. This is usually the case when a site picks up Steam keys (amazon/gmg...). You may finally get your Timeshift.

zkylon

zkylewd
So Soul Reaver hasn't aged all that well but art direction/music are still great.

I hope they cool it with the box pushing puzzles. I always hate those.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Fuck Steam is a pain with file transfers. I just did a format and used SteamTool to backup my accumulated data. I've copied across Tomb Raider, but Steam is being a piece of shit and assuming it doesn't exist, and downloading all the content again. It's pointlessly replacing every single complete file with another copy.

Is there a way to prevent this? Because I have a complete Tomb Raider file install sitting there and I don't want to download the game again for no reason. Can I make Steam actually detect the accumulated files? Verifying the data did nothing.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Fuck Steam is a pain with file transfers. I just did a format and used SteamTool to backup my accumulated data. I've copied across Tomb Raider, but Steam is being a piece of shit and assuming it doesn't exist, and downloading all the content again. It's pointlessly replacing every single complete file with another copy.

Is there a way to prevent this? Because I have a complete Tomb Raider file install sitting there and I don't want to download the game again for no reason. Can I make Steam actually detect the accumulated files? Verifying the data did nothing.

Move the installation folder out of the steamapps folder, uninstall the game, move the folder back and then install the game again.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Are you sure it's downloading? Because the file discovery just goes in the downloads section sometimes I think.

Yeah, it was. It was giving me horror flashbacks of Steam downloading FEAR2 and Empire: Total War while the retail disk was spinning in the drive.

Move the installation folder out of the steamapps folder, uninstall the game, move the folder back and then install the game again.

Lovely. Wonderful. Thank you.

Grief.exe

So should I just sell all these games at Gamestop and turn them into Steam Wallet cards?

I own all of these games on Steam except 4.

I own the PS2 version of MGS2 and can emulate that on PC anyways.

I have no desire to play MW2, Perfect Dark, and Fable II ever again.

Ye4q62G.jpg

Yeah, it was. It was giving me horror flashbacks of Steam downloading FEAR2 and Empire: Total War while the retail disk was spinning in the drive.

Next time click Steam > back up and Restore games

Just copy the files over to your new drive and click restore when you get Steam installed.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Lovely. Wonderful. Thank you.

Now, as a fellow 670 owner, you can enjoy the game constantly crashing. ;)

Just copy the files over to your new drive and click restore when you get Steam installed.

Steam's restore function will only work if you also use the client itself to back up the data, as Steam saves it to .csd archives.

Edit: Oh, I misread your post and thought you were suggesting that he use Steam to restore data backed up via other means. Never mind!

is there a place to see exactly what a current beta is adding?

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/SteamClientBeta

Persona7

Banned
So should I just sell all these games at Gamestop and turn them into Steam Wallet cards?

I own all of these games on Steam except 4.

I own the PS2 version of MGS2 and can emulate that on PC anyways.

I have no desire to play MW2, Perfect Dark, and Fable II ever again.

You are not going to get dick at gamestop, and the original xbox games will be declined.

maybe try the gaf sell thread?

Salsa

hate u guys everyone playing Tomb Raider on my friend list

but to be fair I might be able to get one game this month and between Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinite, it's kind of a no-brainer

fuck Lara

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom