• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.
hate u guys everyone playing Tomb Raider on my friend list

but to be fair I might be able to get one game this month and between Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinite, it's kind of a no-brainer

fuck Lara

Let me guess, you are going to go for the mindless shooter with the girl character with the large boobs?

Yeah, it was. It was giving me horror flashbacks of Steam downloading FEAR2 and Empire: Total War while the retail disk was spinning in the drive.

I think this is a bug with the recent version of Steam, I'm having the same issues except with the whole set of games. Opened a support ticket, I'll post the result when they answer.

Tizoc

How's Anno 1404? I'm interested in the series since they're of the city building genre, and GMG has a non-UPlay ver.

How's Anno 1404? I'm interested in the series since they're of the city building genre, and GMG has a non-UPlay ver.

Anno 1404 was fantastic if you are into the genre. I always like how the series cuts a lot of the crap and focuses on the actual fun parts of building an empire. This does make them a little limited/samey after a while, but that is a good many hours into the future.

I haven't played the recent one because of the DRM monster...and no uplay sounds good but I can't buy 1440 on GMG either :| Damn Ubisoft.

Tizoc

Anno 1404 was fantastic if you are into the genre. I always like how the series cuts a lot of the crap and focuses on the actual fun parts of building an empire. This does make them a little limited/samey after a while, but that is a good many hours into the future.

I haven't played the recent one because of the DRM monster...and no uplay sounds good but I can't buy 1440 on GMG either :| Damn Ubisoft.

Cool, will buy it by tonight if the offer is still gonna be active.
Why aren't you able to buy 1404 BTW? Is it not available in your GMG store region?

same here, and I got it for that. Played a shit ton of regular DR2 alone but I dont wanna come back to a slightly changed version just by myself.

Yeah, it's infuriating. I bought it to co-op with my SO, and I have no interest in playing it alone. Gifted it to her, too, and neither of us can sustain an online game. No solutions I've found have any effect.

I have a crazy glitch in Off The Record, the game crashed on me and now whenever I turn it on and load it up, it assumes the right trigger(on the 360 controller) is being held down and I can't do diddly squat. Tried verifying the cache but that didn't work, guess I'll try deleting and reinstalling it.

ArjanN

I have a crazy glitch in Off The Record, the game crashed on me and now whenever I turn it on and load it up, it assumes the right trigger(on the 360 controller) is being held down and I can't do diddly squat. Tried verifying the cache but that didn't work, guess I'll try deleting and reinstalling it.

Sure it's not your controller?

same here, and I got it for that. Played a shit ton of regular DR2 alone but I dont wanna come back to a slightly changed version just by myself.

So has anyone on GAF been able to play DR2: OTR without crashing? Or been able to fix the random crashes?

I love Frank and just want to play the goddamn without a random crash every 15 or so minutes.

I had this too. Unplugging, waiting, and reattaching the controller seemed to fix it, as well as sometimes using keyboard controls.

ShaneB

Does the Doom 3 BFG edition page at GMG show a buy now option for anyone? Trying to figure out if it's just me. Even from the hot deals page, the buy now brings up a 404.

I sent a support ticket, and they said it should be fine now, but it's still not showing. I figured they ran out of keys or something.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I was going to buy BFG earlier but Australia misses out, too.

If you're the type of person who enjoys playing supposedly coop or MP games (like Borderlands and M&B: Warband) as a singleplayer game, are the ARMA games worthwhile?

The little I've gleaned is that SP ARMA is rather dull and the real meat is all in the MP.

HoosTrax

Does the Doom 3 BFG edition page at GMG show a buy now option for anyone? Trying to figure out if it's just me. Even from the hot deals page, the buy now brings up a 404.

I sent a support ticket, and they said it should be fine now, but it's still not showing. I figured they ran out of keys or something.
No Buy button for me. I guess GMG doesn't wanted North/South American business.

Edit: +Oceania...

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Additionally, the ARMA series is half off until the 13th (sans 3, obviously). This includes ARMA X: Anniversary Edition, which, after DayZ took off, Bohemia routinely yanked from the store prior to sale periods.
There was still a way to buy Arma X at half price during sales, I found it on the Winter Sale and posted it here. Well, not here, but on the sale OT. It consisted on going to the Arma Gold store page and refreshing it until the "This game is part of the Arma X pack" message appeared, clicking on the "Add to cart" button there, and then checking out normally. I didn't try the last part, as I didn't have the money to buy it, but I was able to add it to my cart at 50% off.

Of course, all of this is anecdotical, given that Bohemia has openly put it on sale now, instead of hiding it behind obscure store pages and buttons. I'd like to get it, but I'm still hoping for a 75% discount someday.

nexen

I bought Gatling Gears because $2.50

What were they thinking with that goddamned camera? You spend most of the game butted up against the edge of the screen in order to make forward progress. Because of this you'll often run headlong into enemies that you cannot see. It's inexcusable.

Also the titular Gatling Guns have a range of like 30 yards. Even when powered up significantly they don't reach the edge of the screen. That is just weird.

Also also seeing the incoming shadows of flying enemies for a solid half minute but being unable to attack them because all of your weapons stop at the edge of the screen (if not before) is painful. Especially when they are bullet sponges and you need as much time as possible to bring them down.

The cannon, grenades, and screen bomb are all satisfying to use. I really dig the game's concept, and I like the art style and graphics well enough, but these game design flaws destroy almost all the fun it could deliver. Such a wasted opportunity. Rarely do I see a game that could have been so vastly improved with such minuscule tweaks.

dk_

The new community is hideous. Feels like ads mixed with screenshots of strangers. Going back to non-beta status.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
The new community is hideous. Feels like ads mixed with screenshots of strangers. Going back to non-beta status.

Yeah, they first need to work on making things less slow on community first, which is a huge piece of shit. I can download games at 5-6MB/sec but it takes me a minute to load a single screenshot? Not even hoping to see my screenshot page anymore, it just can't ever fully load.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I hate spoiling some of this but yeah... AOEII HD and AOEII HD 4-Pack was added to the registry.

2hx64xwo6au8.gif

HoosTrax

I hate spoiling some of this but yeah... AOEII HD and AOEII HD 4-Pack was added to the registry.
HD eh...what was the maximum resolution for the original version? It's going to be interesting to see who the listed developer and publisher are going to be. I'm guessing MGS, but it'd be still be weird to see Steamworks on an internal Microsoft game nonetheless.

Grief.exe

HD eh...what was the maximum resolution for the original version? It's going to be interesting to see who the listed developer and publisher are going to be. I'm guessing MGS, but it'd be still be weird to see Steamworks on an internal Microsoft game nonetheless.

The last 4 MGS published games on PC have been Steamworks. I think even Microsoft have put GFWL out to pasture.

You could technically run AoE II at higher resolutions with a patch.

Grief.exe

lol you are dying for gfwl to be buried.

Yes!

I'm really worried about games that are running on GFWL.

Are we even going to be able to play Fallout 3 or Dark Souls in 10 years?

One of the reasons I play on PC is preservation. I can still play a game like AoE II, Deus Ex, or even DOS games.

HoosTrax

It's kind of confusing to see THQ (I guess it's just a holding company now) still listed as the publisher of Darksiders, whereas all of the Warhammer 40K and Company of Heroes games have transferred over to the new owner. As in, I guess the money is going somewhere? Like to pay off THQ debts?

Edit: Same with Saints Row. Publisher rights transferred over to Deep Silver already.

Grief.exe

It's kind of confusing to see THQ (I guess it's just a holding company now) still listed as the publisher of Darksiders, whereas all of the Warhammer 40K and Company of Heroes games have transferred over the to new owner. As in, I guess the money is going somewhere? Like to pay off THQ debts?

Edit: Same with Saints Row. Publisher rights transferred over to Deep Silver already.

Stick of Truth hasn't changed publishers yet.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/213670/

A reminder to people that the Legacy of Kain games are still cheaper on gamersgate at least in the UK

Why is it that steam sales are still being 1-upped by other sites?

Competition. Valve has created this ecosystem on PC through Steamworks.

Games activate on Steam and Valve doesn't take any cut if sold from another retailer. Retailers can undercut Steam's prices and still generate a profit.

Valve's number one goal is to increase the player base and make the players invested in the system. No better way to do this than what Steamworks has done.

Yes!

One of the reasons I play on PC is preservation. I can still play a game like AoE II, Deus Ex, or even DOS games.

You can already play Fallout 3 without GFWL. Maybe a similar fix can be done for the other games although the online elements won't be able to work.

Yes!

Fallout 3 got a no GFWL patch/mod out so, yes, that's covered. Dark Souls? One day they'll shut down the servers but you can still play in single player and From Software made sure you get some touches of the experience with several NPCs that can be summoned or invade you. It obviously won't be the same but, yeah, there you go.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
New indie bundle

http://www.bundlestars.com/

$1.25+

• Tiny Troopers (Steam)
  • Airport Control Sim (Desura)

~$5+

• Darkness Within (Desura)
  • Darkness Within 2 (Desura)
  • Adam's venture (Steam)
  • Adam's Venture 2 (Steam)
  • Armada 2526 (Desura)
  • Firefighter (Desura)
  • Mystery Title #1 (Desura)
  • Mystery Title #2 (Steam)

Wondering why Armada doesn't include a Steam key...

Guess because it's not the gold edition or something. Seems to be a shitty bundle. BTA totally not worth it; Adam's Venture games are among the worst games I've ever played.

Tizoc

New indie bundle

$1.25+

• Tiny Troopers (Steam)

~$5+

• Adam's venture (Steam)
  • Armada 2526 (Desura)
  • Firefighter (Desura)

Woah already?! Well I'm interested in Adam's Venture 1 and 2 only, but will wait to see what the mystery titles are first before buying.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
New indie bundle

$1.25+

• Tiny Troopers (Steam)

~$5+

• Adam's venture (Steam)
  • Armada 2526 (Desura)
  • Firefighter (Desura)

Wondering why Armada doesn't include a Steam key...
I like how the bundle called "Bundle Stars" is the one that most consistently scrapes the bottom of the barrel.

Though Stallion Free does love Adam's Venture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom