• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
If you are a low-tier intellectually-challenged casual who has enjoyed this generation of games overall like me: Tomb Raider is pretty damn entertaining.
Gotta add balance to your life, bro: install Linux to counteract your mental degradation.

I guess this is the best place to ask this. I see Alan wake on steam is $30 but the actual disc on amazon is under 10. Excuse my lack of pc gaming knowledge but can the game be installed on the hdd easily from the disc so i dont have to put it in everytime? Also i read that it might just bring me to steam and download it from there so that might not matter. Anyway why is steam so much more money?? Seems odd especially given steams reputation

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I guess this is the best place to ask this. I see Alan wake on steam is $30 but the actual disc on amazon is under 10. Excuse my lack of pc gaming knowledge but can the game be installed on the hdd easily from the disc so i dont have to put it in everytime? Also i read that it might just bring me to steam and download it from there so that might not matter. Anyway why is steam so much more money?? Seems odd especially given steams reputation

It looks like it will use Steam for the install anyway, so you'll just enter the key and, if you'd like, use the disc to install the game. Put the disc in first and follow the install instructions to make sure it uses the disc.

Your other points: it's only that cheap because some random resellers are listing it on Amazon for that price. Amazon's own listing for the game is $23.67. Why it's that price is dependent on a number of factors, but the most pertinent is that Remedy is in control of the pricing and, with a boxed copy, even though it registers on Steam, they do not have to give Valve their 30% cut like through the Steam store.

If you are a low-tier intellectually-challenged casual who has enjoyed this generation of games overall like me: Tomb Raider is pretty damn entertaining.

It's like you're talking about me! Man, Tomb Raider is fantastic! My favorite console game this gen is Uncharted 2 and this is right up there for non-stop heart pounding excitement and action. Looks great. Immersive. And man does it make me want to protect her.

But I can't masturbate to Tomb Raider like I can with Uncharted.

Sony stays winning.

mal-speechless.gif

seriously though, some of the QTE's in Tomb Raider make me want to punch a baby though.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Jamestown is a lot easier to just start up and play. If you have some friends, even better. The game takes like every type of control method. Even one mouse and one keyboard can be used for two players.
Yeah I beat the first 4 levels on Legendary with my friend one afternoon. Though I just launched it now and the graphics are all fucked up. What the hell...

Edit: Ah, AF settings.

Searched and didn't see this posted here (yes, I know it's Amazon...but everything is Steam activated).

Amazon is having a sale on Ticket to Ride and all the DLC upgrade packs, with everything 75% off. The wife and I are huge fans of the board game, and the video game looks like it captures all the fun and charm.

Base game is $6.49 and all the DLC is $3.79. The packs include Europe, Legendary Asia, Switzerland, and USA 1910.

Base Game.
Upgrade Packs.

VALIS

Searched and didn't see this posted here (yes, I know it's Amazon...but everything is Steam activated).

Amazon is having a sale on Ticket to Ride and all the DLC upgrade packs, with everything 75% off. The wife and I are huge fans of the board game, and the video game looks like it captures all the fun and charm.

Base game is $6.49 and all the DLC is $3.79. The packs include Europe, Legendary Asia, Switzerland, and USA 1910.

Base Game.
Upgrade Packs.

Actually, the whole package is $6.49. Sweet deal. My wife and I play it a fair amount as well.

Blizzard

Banned

$27.99 for AoE II HD & AoE III Complete.
Preorder discount, AND a bundle option? I already had the AoE III Complete package, but I went ahead and got the AoE II HD preorder. Count me in on the supporting party, maybe Microsoft will be nice to us for a while.

Base Game.
Upgrade Packs.

Nice! I was missing some of the DLC. My girlfriend is gonna be super happy :p

Age of Empires II pre-order is about to dethrone Tomb Raider and Arma III. Who would've thought such a "niche" genre like RTS could achieve that, right? Sitting #3.

If anything, I hope to see more traditional RTS with base buildings and YOLOLO thanks to this.

Btw, Sim City 4 is now 15#, heh. Gosh, the Legacy bundle is already #11.

What the hell will happen if Halo 3 becomes a reality? Pre-order overload? Steam servers go down? Half-Life 3 announced through a hidden trailer?

edit: will System Shock 2 cause a similar effect if it hits Steam soon? Will we ever see Freespace 3? Can we get another Mech Commander? Or a MechWarrior that isn't a MMO?

Next thing I know we are getting a spiritual successor to freaking Planescape Torment and another Dreamfall game for PC! Oh, wait. :p

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
God damn, The Witcher is a buggy janky mess.
It runs at 20 CPS. Where CPS = Crashes Per Second.

I should continue playing it, I was liking it a lot, but stopped playing midway through chapter 2 and never came back.

Man, people think 20 bucks is too much for AOEII? The game is huuuuge, and it's not like the boxed copies of Gold you can find in Wal-Marts and such are any replacement. Installing the game on Windows XP and above typically yields corrupted colors, wonky stretching, multiplayer de-syncs...
Yes. I paid $15 for the Steam version of Brütal Legend and that's a much newer game. And it came with TF2 paraphernalia that I sold for close to 9 bucks.

I'll wait for a sale on that one. $10 is as high as I'd pay for it today.

The Witcher 1 was a more rewarding experience than 2 for me in a lot of ways, I even strangely liked the combat more. I don't recall it crashing, ever, as in not even once, so don't believe everything you read on the internet in that regard.

Once you get past that Act 1 boss hump, it gets easier and all starts to make sense.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
But I can't masturbate to Tomb Raider like I can with Uncharted.

Sony stays winning.
I've never played any Uncharted. Does Drake make you want to protect him too?

The Witcher 1 was a more rewarding experience than 2 for me in a lot of ways, I even strangely liked the combat more. I don't recall it crashing, ever, as in not even once, so don't believe everything you read on the internet in that regard.

Once you get past that Act 1 boss hump, it gets easier and all starts to make sense.
Why shouldn't he believe that the crashes happen to a lot of people? The fact that you haven't been personally affected doesn't mean anybody else is lying, you know.

Why should he believe that the crashes happen to a lot of people? The fact that you have been personally affected doesn't mean anybody else is lying, you know.

You see what I did there, regardless if it's widespread or not, the enhanced edition is very stable and like all computer issues, it's nearly impossible to make statements like that because EVERYONE has a unique system....

Grief.exe

Age of Empires II pre-order is about to dethrone Tomb Raider and Arma III. Who would've thought such a "niche" genre like RTS could achieve that, right? Sitting #3.

If anything, I hope to see more traditional RTS with base buildings and YOLOLO thanks to this.

Btw, Sim City 4 is now 15#, heh. Gosh, the Legacy bundle is already #11.

What the hell will happen if Halo 3 becomes a reality? Pre-order overload? Steam servers go down? Half-Life 3 announced through a hidden trailer?

edit: will System Shock 2 cause a similar effect if it hits Steam soon? Will we ever see Freespace 3? Can we get another Mech Commander? Or a MechWarrior that isn't a MMO?

Next thing I know we are getting a spiritual successor to freaking Planescape Torment and another Dreamfall game for PC! Oh, wait. :p

I feel like when Halo 3 goes up on Steam.

Gaf will explode
our wallets will explode
Steam will explode
Microsoft's bank account will explode

Good day for everyone.

Giard

Base Game.
Upgrade Packs.
It says Steam DRM, but [Download] in the description. Is this redeemable on Steam? Size would seem to suggest that they're codes...

Another question: Is there local multiplayer?

I played Tomb Raider for roughly half an hour last night and by that I mean I watched like twenty five minutes of intro cinematics and scripted sequences, wiggled the analog stick in a few different directions and pressed a few buttons. Hopefully I'll get to play the game once I resume.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
You see what I did there, regardless if it's widespread or not, the enhanced edition is very stable and like all computer issues, it's nearly impossible to make statements like that because EVERYONE has a unique system....
Because there are many people saying the game crashes for them? Why would they lie, when many of them (myself included) also say that they are really enjoying the game DESPITE the crashes?

I never said the game would be unstable as fuck for everyone. I said the game was unstable as fuck for me. If you want to think I'm lying, go you.

Helmholtz

I'm with you, had 0 crashes and can't recall any bugs either. The game was janky but it wasn't broken for me. And I too found it rewarding in several ways. Played the enhanced edition ~1 year ago btw.

Because there are many people saying the game crashes for them? Why would they lie, when many of them (myself included) also say that they are really enjoying the game DESPITE the crashes?

I never said the game would be unstable as fuck for everyone. I said the game was unstable as fuck for me. If you want to think I'm lying, go you.

Haha I didn't say you were lying, I said don't believe everything you read on the internet in that regard. If you thought I implied that you were lying about crashing I wasn't, I meant don't fall into "the game is a crashy mess so it's not worth playing" message you might get from researching it.

I wasn't even talking to you.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Haha I didn't say you were lying, I said don't believe everything you read on the internet in that regard. If you thought I implied that you were lying about crashing I wasn't, I meant don't fall into "the game is a crashy mess so it's not worth playing" message you might get from researching it.

I wasn't even talking to you.
My apologies then, I thought you were telling him to disregard every post about the crashes.

So everyone had a different experience with the game's stability, and the only way to find out which one will someone experience is buying it. Can we agree that getting the game is the only valid solution? Go and get it now, guys. Or wait for a sale, it reaches $2.50 which is a super sweet price.

It says Steam DRM, but [Download] in the description. Is this redeemable on Steam? Size would seem to suggest that they're codes...

Another question: Is there local multiplayer?

All are Steam keys. And there is no local multiplayer (would be impossible, since you could not hide your cards!).

It looks like it will use Steam for the install anyway, so you'll just enter the key and, if you'd like, use the disc to install the game. Put the disc in first and follow the install instructions to make sure it uses the disc.

Your other points: it's only that cheap because some random resellers are listing it on Amazon for that price. Amazon's own listing for the game is $23.67. Why it's that price is dependent on a number of factors, but the most pertinent is that Remedy is in control of the pricing and, with a boxed copy, even though it registers on Steam, they do not have to give Valve their 30% cut like through the Steam store.
ah thank you, yea it was amazon fullfillment. Should work out great then.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I got the 3 Deus Ex games in the latest collection sale and I never played any of them. At first I planned playing them in order but I realized that, even though not by a big margin, I feel like playing Human Revolution first. I'm wondering if I'll be doing myself a disservice by not playing the original game first or if I can go HR > Deus Ex > IW with no regrets.

Salsa

it's like I can already see Derrick talking about how good Thief 4 is while playing it, only to talk about how terrible it was when thinking back on it a week or so later

:b

I played Tomb Raider for roughly half an hour last night and by that I mean I watched like twenty five minutes of intro cinematics and scripted sequences, wiggled the analog stick in a few different directions and pressed a few buttons. Hopefully I'll get to play the game once I resume.

That was my biggest worry and when I saw it confirmed I decided to wait for a discount. Sadly I don't expect it to drop in price as fast as Hitman :(

it's like I can already see Derrick talking about how good Thief 4 is while playing it, only to talk about how terrible it was when thinking back on it a week or so later

haha

Derrick01

Banned
you don't like it? Let me get my surprised face...

Nope, it's everything we like to say we hate about AAA console gaming on this board, yet I seem to be one of the very few who are calling it out for what it is. Maybe I can hope for a ME3-style backlash a few months from now.

I've been calling that Thief 4 is going to be a hybrid stealth game for months now, I just can't see it being anything more than that in this industry. I'd like to be wrong but the GI info didn't exactly put any fears to rest. Too much focus on...errr...focus mode, aka highlight errything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom