• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Since GFWL is officially dead with AOE2 being a Steamworks top to bottom, I would appreciate games such as Dark Souls, Fallout 3, and Bioshock 2 getting Steamworks patches. Make it happen publishers.

Dr Dogg

Since GFWL is officially dead with AOE2 being a Steamworks top to bottom, I would appreciate games such as Dark Souls, Fallout 3, and Bioshock 2 getting Steamworks patches. Make it happen publishers.

To be fair you can get a unofficial patch to remove GFWL in Fallout 3 already. BioShock 2 and Dark Souls have a shit fit though it it's not present and updated. Arkham City is the one that always urks me. Not content with using Steamworks as one layer of DRM which, as we know won't unlock games until release date already, WBI decided they'd keep the implementation of GFWL that was present in the retail releases in the Steam sold copy. Add that to the fact it's got the bane of my pc gaming life, hardware restricted drm in the form of SecuROM.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
To be fair you can get a unofficial patch to remove GFWL in Fallout 3 already. BioShock 2 and Dark Souls have a shit fit though it it's not present and updated. Arkham City is the one that always urks me. Not content with using Steamworks as one layer of DRM which, as we know won't unlock games until release date already, WBI decided they'd keep the implementation of GFWL that was present in the retail releases in the Steam sold copy. Add that to the fact it's got the bane of my pc gaming life, hardware restricted drm in the form of SecuROM.

I want this change for Steam achievements lol.

DSmalls84

Tried playing BioShock last night, the version I got from pre-ordering Infinite at GMG.

The game boots but it's unplayable on my Windows 7 rig. It boots and goes through the start up sequence, but as soon as it gets to the main menu, the resolution becomes all distorted and I'm unable to click anything. The mouse icon is visible but I can't access any of the menu's and the whole thing is unresponsive, almost as if it doesn't really exist. I have to open the task manager and close it down every time.

I've tried changing the permissions of the .exe file to run in Windows Vista but that's not solved anything.

Anyone had any similar problems? I didn't expect a current generation game to appear so hopelessley incompatible with my current rig.

Yes I have had those issues. Try setting campatibility to Windows XP SP2 or Vista SP2. There is also an issue where the games loses audio but compatibility mode should fix that too.

It really amazes me how Microsoft has not updated Games for Windows Live at all to accommodate these new titles like Ace Combat and Dark Souls. I mean, I still don't get the custom icons whenever I get achievements.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It really amazes me how Microsoft has not updated Games for Windows Live at all to accommodate these new titles like Ace Combat and Dark Souls. I mean, I still don't get the custom icons whenever I get achievements.

Every time somebody mentions Microsoft's non-existent effort to maintain GFWL, I'm reminded of this quote from a GameSpy article, published April 2012, advocating its abolishment:

Blizzard

Banned
I know a company isn't an anthropomorphic entity, but I still feel like Microsoft does some very bipolar things some times. Getting rid of like the entire team of the beloved Flight Simulator, then eventually trying to go into the market again with the modern kinda crappy Flight game. Going into GFWL, then mostly abandoning it. There's the recent Windows 8 push for the tablet-style user interface too, which I wouldn't be surprised to see toned back in the future.

Grief.exe

I know a company isn't an anthropomorphic entity, but I still feel like Microsoft does some very bipolar things some times. Getting rid of like the entire team of the beloved Flight Simulator, then eventually trying to go into the market again with the modern kinda crappy Flight game. Going into GFWL, then mostly abandoning it. There's the recent Windows 8 push for the tablet-style user interface too, which I wouldn't be surprised to see toned back in the future.

Probably a sign of poor leadership.

If they are disorganized and bipolar at the top end, their output is going to look like what you just described.

I would describe Microsoft as having no real plan going forward.

They want to break into the tablet and phone space, but at the cost of their dominance in the PC market entirely.

They want a successful console, but at the cost of their dominance in the PC gaming market.

They want money from the PC gaming market, but then they stop releasing games entirely and introduce GFWL.

At least they are rectifying some of this. I can't believe they have been leaving money just sitting on the table for this long.
They have so many classic franchises that they could just release on PC today with minimal adjustments and make quite a profit. Hopefully we are seeing this with AoE II, and the Halo trilogy rumors.

Good stuff. You should be a comedian.

Microsoft did allow one of their own published games to have GFWL patched out. So it might be possible if we can get the support together.

inky

Getting rid of like the entire team of the beloved Flight Simulator, then eventually trying to go into the market again with the modern kinda crappy Flight game. Going into GFWL, then mostly abandoning it.

They did the same with Age of Empires and Ensemble. Then abandoned AoEO and now AoE II HD comes out. Rumor has it Ensemble was too bloated and not working properly anymore too, which wouldn't help them.

It just means that there are different people inside MS with enough pull to get these things done, but no one with the final say to dictate a company-wide policy. Game on PC are really an afterthought for Microsoft after the Xbox, but you get the sense that there are some poor souls in there who know better than to give up the space.

Microsoft did allow one of their own published games to have GFWL patched out. So it might be possible if we can get the support together.
It's not a question of whether Microsoft will let them or whatever. It's whether any developer thinks its worth the time, money, and effort to put the work in to actually rip it out ,and let's be honest, I hate gfwl, but it's probably not.

Grief.exe

It's not a question of whether Microsoft will let them or whatever. It's whether any developer thinks its worth the time, money, and effort to put the work in to actually rip it out ,and let's be honest, I hate gfwl, but it's probably not.

I agree on that front, it would be very unlikely to happen considering the extra cost involved.

And the bulk of the sales have already occurred, not leaving much incentive other than consumer good will.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Counter-argument: If you're, say, Fallout III and you're selling, say, a stable 20,000 copies a year at $10, and Microsoft folds critical GFWL infrastructure in a way that games are no longer installable, wouldn't it be worth allocating one programmer for 3-4 months of work to remove GFWL?

Obviously all the figures are napkin math, but my point is this... there are obviously GFWL titles where it'd make more economic sense to remove GFWL than remove the game from sale (and vice versa, I'm sure there are titles that have no long tail at all and companies would rather let die than re-open). We're not at the point where GFWL is that barrier, but there have been a number of issues between GFWL and Win8, and even if there weren't issues like that, at some point Microsoft will pull the servers the same way they did with Xbox1 Xbox Live games. I mean, that's inevitable. The question is when.

Grief.exe

Counter-argument: If you're, say, Fallout III and you're selling, say, a stable 20,000 copies a year at $10, and Microsoft folds critical GFWL infrastructure in a way that games are no longer installable, wouldn't it be worth allocating one programmer for 3-4 months of work to remove GFWL?

Obviously all the figures are napkin math, but my point is this... there are obviously GFWL titles where it'd make more economic sense to remove GFWL than remove the game from sale (and vice versa, I'm sure there are titles that have no long tail at all and companies would rather let die than re-open). We're not at the point where GFWL is that barrier, but there have been a number of issues between GFWL and Win8, and even if there weren't issues like that, at some point Microsoft will pull the servers the same way they did with Xbox1 Xbox Live games. I mean, that's inevitable. The question is when.

Yes.

Things like RE5, Dead Rising 2, Dark Souls require the GFWL infrastructure to function, if the servers are pulled, then the multiplayer won't be able to work at all.

Worst case scenario, Microsoft pulls them entirely and you see what happened last week. Where GFWL won't even let legitimate customers into their games at all.

I really just wish Dark Souls hadn't been GFWL.

Dr Dogg

Good point (as usual). Say Microsoft change their sign in system for Next Box and moves away from their Microsoft ID system at present would they charge developers for patches to update to their new system? Can't imagine that would be cheap either and as you say if you have a title that is still available and selling steady numbers there's obviously a figure and a point to when it become financial viable to maintain the game being able to function.

I really just wish Dark Souls hadn't been GFWL.

I think the main problem with Dark Souls using GFWL was more to do with From not being accustomed to PC development and having prior knowledge of how to get online functionality working with Microsoft's system. I think one of the points raised in the petition is that people didn't want it to be on GFWL. Not sure if I've read that somewhere or if I'm pulling it my arse but sounds logical as they were on quite a tight time frame and budget to get in out the door.

I would say from what I've seen the last few years is that they would be more than fine with letting the whole thing die. Valve would probably remove it from Steam, and then we'd all be sad we couldn't play Fallout 3 anymore. Someone will probably make a quick and dirty crack and make it work though.

Before that point though the way I'm imagining they're probably going to look at it is, well it will cost us $20,000 dollars to pay that programmer for the couple months. Can we guarantee (and show) that this investment will pay out at least that much or hopefully more, on top of whatever we're steadily selling? That will make it worth it to them. I can't imagine that on Fallout 3 it would. Yes this is all napkin math. There are lots of things involved in that. Fallout 3 is an old game, everyone who cares probably already owns it anyway. I doubt many people are constantly playing it still. Would all that be worth it for Dark Souls which is (I imagine) still selling really well and has lots of players everyday? I would think so right? It seems that they sort of adopted the gfwl just to make the pc porting easier and not for it's diverse and exciting feature set.

Relax.MX

I dont know if im the only one but i just can´t get into Borderland 2, and i played the first for 60 hrs, but this time, i feel like is a DLC or something .. everybody say the second one is better but im gonna disagree is the same game with two or three more jokes but without the the surprise factor

Grief.exe

Putting my money where my mouth is.

Microsoft killing off GFWL and bringing their back catalog to Steam. I want to see more

mflURRY.png

I dont know if im the only one but i just can´t get into Borderland 2, and i played the first for 60 hrs, but this time, i feel like is a DLC or something .. everybody say the second one is better but im gonna disagree is the same game with two or three more jokes but without the the surprise factor

Game bored me to tears.

I'm going to try to pick it back up with a couple friends sometime, but its not really in our priorities.

I enjoyed the first on the PS3. I put 5 hours into Borderlands 2 when it first came out and haven't touched it since.

These are some seriously WOLOLO times, eh?

So, wait, this is a "HD" release but besides perhaps making it work as intended in modern comps and Steam achievements, what else we can expect? It's not really a remake, right? (This was asked by a japanese user so I thought it was fair I ask this for him here.)

Grief.exe

So, wait, this is a "HD" release but besides perhaps making it work as intended in modern comps and Steam achievements, what else we can expect? It's not really a remake, right? (This was asked by a japanese user so I thought it was fair I ask this for him here.)

From the trailer it looks like they have updated some of the textures. (See: the water textures)

And it looks like they may be using higher quality versions of the sprites, though this may be a product of the higher resolution and anti aliasing.

I only watched the trailer once, will have to watch it again.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.

No, not a remake. As far as we know, there have been no changes to the underlying mechanics.

Eh, I'd call it closer to a pre-modded version than a full on remake. That said, it's almost certainly incompatible with the original version for multiplayer.

esai

Grief.exe

The Fez Steam database entry was updated yesterday with purchasing and pre order options.

Its just a matter of time before Halo and KoF.

Now we play the waiting game.

Duke Nukem 3D: Atomic Edition
Super House of Dead Ninjas
Dyad
Retro/Grade
La-Mulana
The Splatters
Octodad: Dadliest Catch Beta
Fez
LucasArts Test App
Fast and Furious 6
Lococycle
Yogventures!
Hardware
Hardware (Demo)
Cut the Rope
Shadow Warrior Complete
Hardware (VIP)
Hardware (Internal)
THE KING OF FIGHTERS XIII
Resident Evil: Revelations
THE KING OF FIGHTERS 2002 UNLIMITED MATCH
THE KING OF FIGHTERS '98 ULTIMATE MATCH
Quantum Conundrum 2
Halo 3
Halo 2
Halo: Combat Evolved
The Witness
Angry Birds Space
Angry Birds Seasons
Second Life

I underlined the one's confirmed or out. If i missed anything let me know. btw does gaf have a cross line to the middle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom