• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

I really wish I could enjoy Skyrim. I was a target of anger in the OT with all my bashing of the game when it first came out. I am still waiting for that perfect string of mods to drop so that I can enjoy the game. It looks like it may never happen for me, though.

I never LOVED it, it's like a big world of nothing. All the quests seemed borderline repetitive to me, with a few very noteable (because they were actually pretty great) exceptions.

I like the little storylines in them though.

Visual style is also very bland and similar throughout, got tired at watching the same thing/colors over and over.

Main reason I wanna come back (besides actually just finish it) is because there's stuff like SkyUI and all that now that could ease some of my early issues with the game

masterkajo

So I just got my Tomb Raider steam key from AMD and I am having a hard time deciding if I want to active it and play or just sell it and wait for the inevitable cheap steam/gmg/etc. deal. How much can I expect for the key/how good is the game?
I am leaning towards not protecting her... does that make me a bad person?

Nymerio

I should play Skyrim again some time. I played it for about 80 hours and just stopped. I don't even know why. It wasn't even that I stopped to play another game, I guess I was just burnt out. I don't really care for anything in that game. The story is pretty meh, quests are not really good and the characters aren't any better. The most fun I had with Skyrim was when I was just exploring. Finding that huge dwarfen cave system was amazing.

GMM

Banned
So I just got my Tomb Raider steam key from AMD and I am having a hard time deciding if I want to active it and play or just sell it and wait for the inevitable cheap steam/gmg/etc. deal. How much can I expect for the key/how good is the game?

I would say 20-30$ depending on your luck.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
If you are a gaming connosieur you should just sell it.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Oh thank god, still bros.

Yeah see I took this revolutionary purchasing approach where I researched the game to determine exactly what I was getting (gameplay trailers, a couple written previews) and decided that it was something I would enjoy a lot. I bought the game and enjoyed it a lot.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I remember when Skyrim came out

clocked 90 hours in a week, left the game in the middle of some quest

never came back, for absolutely no reason

totally burnt out too quick

I should uh.. finish it

kinda feel like it

at the same time though I wonder if i'll be able to come back to it and get up to speed fast enough
That's what I did, except sometime later I modded the shit out of it and played another 20 hours... not doing any missions... just dicking around for 20 hours with pretty modded graphics. I keep telling myself that someday I'll go back and play the story... since I only did like 4 story missions and the rest of the 90 hours was sidequests...

derFeef

Yeah see I took this revolutionary purchasing approach where I researched the game to determine exactly what I was getting (gameplay trailers, a couple written previews) and decided that it was something I would enjoy a lot. I bought the game and enjoyed it a lot.

Damn, you smart!

Derrick01

Banned
I really wish I could enjoy Skyrim. I was a target of anger in the OT with all my bashing of the game when it first came out. I am still waiting for that perfect string of mods to drop so that I can enjoy the game. It looks like it may never happen for me, though.

There's supposed to be some kind of morrowind-like overhaul but I'll be honest I can't even bother to re-download the game and try it. The game was so shitty that I just want to wipe my hands clean of it forever.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
There's supposed to be some kind of morrowind-like overhaul but I'll be honest I can't even bother to re-download the game and try it. The game was so shitty that I just want to wipe my hands clean of it forever.

How many hours did you play? That determines exactly how long it will take you to wipe your hands clean of it forever.

Dr Dogg

How many hours did you play? That determines exactly how long it will take you to wipe your hands clean of it forever.

Or is it like a smoking thing? I gave up 3 years ago but my doctor told me because I smoked for 14 years that it would take me until I'm 60 to get back to a semi-healthy state. Skyrim isn't that bad. Dull, yes but it's hardly a scourge on the soul.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Or is it like a smoking thing? I gave up 3 years ago but my doctor told me because I smoked for 14 years that it would take me until I'm 60 to get back to a semi-healthy state. Skyrim isn't that bad. Dull, yes but it's hardly a scourge on the soul.

Perfect analogy.

Grief.exe

predator-shake-o.gif

People are starting to agree though. It took a while for the internet to kind of wake up and see how shallow, dumbed down, and homogenized the game is.
It actually dropped from top 5 to number 30 in the best RPGs of all time list this year.

I can see why people like it. Its a large world to explore. Things like this are subjective, if you like something you like it.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Edit: Right instead of just pulling some figures out of my arse here's some historical pricing just for Steam and their various sales:-

(prices)
Delicious. I want the new TR and after seeing my friends raving about how good it is I got even more interested, but seeing this price drop history cemented my decision of waiting for it to be cheaper.

I knew Skyrim would be shit when those bums omitted spears again.

Though I bought it on release and haven't played beyond character creation yet so I'm also to blame.

1-D_FTW

I'm a pleb and I absolutely LOVE how Bethesda has dumbed down their RPGs this generation. I remember buying Morrowind and just laughing at how ridiculous the game was. And then one day I was at a buddy's and saw he had the game too. And when I asked him if he liked the game, his eyes just glazed over and we both had a belly laugh at how absurd the game was.

Zia

So, the guys that did Shadow Warrior for iOS, General Arcade, are doing Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition for Devolver Digital.

Via the Devolver Twitter:

... Should hit Steam this month! ... PC and Mac! ... OpenGL so the visuals are smoother, better performance, no emulator, Steam achievements, and makes pizza.

I'll give you 20 dolla dolla bills yall and a portion of my undying love.

Or 25$.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I'm a pleb and I absolutely LOVE how Bethesda has dumbed down their RPGs this generation. I remember buying Morrowind and just laughing at how ridiculous the game was. And then one day I was at a buddy's and saw he had the game too. And when I asked him if he liked the game, his eyes just glazed over and we both had a belly laugh at how absurd the game was.

tumblr_l8ta374ihx1qb7rljfd.gif

Baha

Is anybody doing an Age of Empire 2 4 pack? I'm looking to buy 2 copies. Also looking to get in on a Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed 4 pack too.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Any updates on the KoA Steam keys on Amazon?

I'm not sure where you guys are getting the info to check it myself.

Fucking Rhode Island.

Tony still posts on the Cheap Ass Gamer forum, so it is just people looking there.

Zeth

I really want to get Bit Trip Runner 2. Crossing fingers for a $10 sale some time soon. Or maybe I'll just pay full price for it because they're an amazing dev, and I feel good supporting games like it.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
So, the guys that did Shadow Warrior for iOS, General Arcade, are doing Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition for Devolver Digital.

Via the Devolver Twitter:
Yup, that was posted here 2 weeks ago :p

Wario even showed us some caps from the game. One of them shows it comes with extra episodes (DC and the Caribbean one, both of which I've never played, so they'll be new to me).

I really want to get Bit Trip Runner 2. Crossing fingers for a $10 sale some time soon. Or maybe I'll just pay full price for it because they're an amazing dev, and I feel good supporting games like it.
I haven't finished it yet, and I can still say it's worth full price and even more. I'm having WAY more fun with it ($14) than I've had with Hitman Absolution ($32) or Dark Souls ($30).

The music kicks ass. The controls feels fantastic. The graphics are beautiful. The levels are quite easy so far, at least in Medium difficulty, so if you have beaten Runner 1 you may not find much of a challenge here, at least when it comes to getting a Perfect+. But with the addition of online leaderboards, you can spent a lot of time trying to get a completely flawless run and get the highest possible score on each level, both in your friends and global lists.

If you ever get it, just add me on Steam!

Grief.exe

Man when the hell is that spring sale? I want Jet Set Radio discounted.

Check Green Man Gamin, Amazon, and Get Games.

I have seen JSR on sale, what seems like, every other week at least.

That explains it. CAG is actually blocked at my office, so I guess I'll pull it up on my phone and try to find it.

Thanks.

Last we heard Rhode Island was requesting about 50,000 keys from Valve.

Then they will sign some paperwork and put the game up.

I paid $44 for TR and it was worth it IMO. Very good game.

TheExodu5

Banned

It's a fantastic game and totally worth a playthrough. If you've played and enjoyed Uncharted 2, you should love this.

Dr Dogg

anyone played this? Looks pretty awesome.

Been tempted as it looks like a cross between Dear Esther and Amnesia so should be awesome. Saying that a lot of folks on my friends list have it on their wish lists but don't own it. Not sure if anyone want to be the guinea pig.

I just bought Primal Carnage for myself and a friend. It's probably awful.

But hey, it's 5 dollars.

It's got dinosaurs in it. What more could you want? duckroll will tell you robots but pfft.

Blizzard

Banned
My limited playtime with Miasmata like a month ago concluded that it was very janky. Some places look nice, some look very old-fashioned which makes sense since the team is small. I didn't like the effects and controls very much. If you don't mind the learning curve of figuring out controls and jank, it's probably an interesting experience. I didn't even get far enough to die to the monster or whatnot, so my reviewing authority is limited. :p

R1CHO

Just watched this now on TB Content Patch, maybe deserves a thread:

http://youtu.be/Lwo96d_rP1U?t=33s

http://unknownworlds.com/blog/beware-shady-key-resellers-and-discount-steam-keys/

We deactivated these keys because they keys were purchased with credit cards where the card-holder initiated a “charge-back.” A charge-back is a consumer protection mechanism offered by payment companies such as Visa, allowing a card-holder to dispute a charge on their credit card statement. This means we never received payment for the game. In fact, we were charged a fee by the card issuer for the charge-back. For these 1,341 keys, these fees totalled around $30,000.

We don’t know how exactly these sites obtain their Steam keys. It seems likely that they were originally obtained from our store using stolen credit card information. Keys were then sold through a handful of questionable sites to people using legitimate credit cards. The owner of the stolen credit card ultimately disputed the charge and we lost the sale. In total, we lose ~$45 per transaction of this kind, due to the charge-back fee (~$22 fee + $25 game price). Meanwhile, the unauthorized key reseller kept the money from the player who ultimately received the bad key.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom