• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably a repost, but if you don't own the greatest game of all time Killing Floor and its sister game Red Orchestra 2, they are cheap over on GmG right now.

Salsa

I liked Killing Floor because it makes me feel like im in the 90s

Every single UI element (specially the menu) is fucking terrible. Looks like a mod made by a 15 year old. It's like "let the bodies hit the floor" should be playing during the entire time im playing it.

Game itself is great

FloatOn

Every single UI element (specially the menu) is fucking terrible. Looks like a mod made by a 15 year old. It's like "let the bodies hit the floor" should be playing during the entire time im playing it.

Game itself is great

I fucking HATE a bad UI.

I think I have Killing Floor. Just never played it. So it goes.

Game itself is great

I like it, it's simple information displayed in red. Press escape to buy or change classes.
BDC69F553E8A3B656BA96AFDD8A73A23AD14FBEC

In relation to a lot of people here I guess, KF is my TF2.

Bumhead

Banned
So Tropico 4 complete pack is £7.49 on Steam. Interesting timing given that I'm really hankering after a city/world building game after the disappointment of Sim City.

Was thinking of picking up Sim City 4. Would Tropico 4 be a better bet?

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Miasmata is a good game that is both freed by and weighed down due to its ambitions. It wants to be a hardcore exploration game and feels semi-uncompromising about it. You need to hunt down medicinal herbs and test them for their usefulness, learn to mix them with the proper ingredients to make the right medicines, and can only carry one of each product on you at a time. This seems alright at first, but sometimes you really wish you could have more than one pain killer/fever reducer after taking a silly trip on some strange geometry and go falling 50 feet.

It also forces you to use Triangulation to fill out your map, as opposed to him just sketching as he goes. You need to use previously found markers to gain your bearings, and it really helps give you a sense of the scale of the world. I think it does an excellent job of getting you to pay more attention to your surroundings as well, so not only are you mapping things out more accurately in game but in your mind you're more aware of where things are. Which you will need.

The game focuses on exploration but there's also a survival element thanks to the creature on the island who stalks the shit out of you. He's a bastard to shake off your trail once he's found you, and it only takes a good hit or two before you're dead. AFAIK there is no way to fight him, so you are always on the run once your heart starts beating.

Night is fucking frightening, by the way.

It's impressively detailed in areas, and horrifically ugly in others. It looks like mid-late 90s point and click adventure games but in actual 3D model renders, with the occasional impressive attention to detail and neat special effect. On the other hand, when it gets ugly it gets UGLY. I still can't get over how bad the hands look on the character. The game also runs somewhat choppy even on beefier systems but they did put out some patches to fix framerate in some trouble areas.

It goes from having moments like this, where everything looks well textured and dressed...

...to this.

It's janky as fuck, you will struggle with some of the systems as they fail you from time to time but if you want something that isn't quite like anything else out there you can't go wrong for $5 for Miasmata. It's an impressive effort from two brothers who had a vision and said "Fuck it, we'll do it our damn selves."

My limited playtime with Miasmata like a month ago concluded that it was very janky. Some places look nice, some look very old-fashioned which makes sense since the team is small. I didn't like the effects and controls very much. If you don't mind the learning curve of figuring out controls and jank, it's probably an interesting experience. I didn't even get far enough to die to the monster or whatnot, so my reviewing authority is limited. :p

I've been playing it off and on (have encountered the monster but got away) and my feeling is that it needs to be ported to PS4/NextBox and coupled with Oculus Rift. The way the controls work makes it seemed designed for a gamepad and VR and given the extreme variation in visual quality makes me think a single hardware platform is the best way to clean that up.

It's pretty good for a game developed by two guys(?) but there are a lot of little things that could be improved and some of the "realism" design choices just get in the way. Worth $5 for sure, though.
The game focuses on exploration but there's also a survival element thanks to the creature on the island who stalks the shit out of you. He's a bastard to shake off your trail once he's found you, and it only takes a good hit or two before you're dead. AFAIK there is no way to fight him, so you are always on the run once your heart starts beating.
From reading the Steam forums I think you can do something with a knife but you're better off not trying. The game definitely rewards careful, slow exploration.

ShaneB

Miasmata sounded so awesome from the Idle Thumbs chat, really tempted to get it, but not sure I'll play it, so I can hold off for now I think.

Also, it seems Doom 3 BFG is now on sale in other regions at GMG, I think I'll get that, since I've been wanting to play it finally since reading Masters of Doom.... even though I already own Doom 3 on Steam, I want everything neat and tidy and all put together. lol EDIT: dang it, the 20% off voucher doesn't want to work it.. lame.

Think I'll just be playing Starcraft 2 or something until AoE2 comes out, I needs some RTS goodness... actually, maybe less RTS goodness so I dont spoil the fun times awaiting with AoE2. lol

So Tropico 4 complete pack is £7.49 on Steam. Interesting timing given that I'm really hankering after a city/world building game after the disappointment of Sim City.

I would also like hear some opinions on this.

Blizzard

Banned
Also the one time I got a knife in Miasmata, I clicked something and it vanished, DayZ style. I might have accidentally thrown it, but I could never figure out how to get it back, couldn't find it on the ground, couldn't get it in my inventory, etc. :(

amdnv

Just bought Miasmata. It looked interesting on the Steam product page. Then I watched the first five minutes of the game on Youtube, and I'm hooked.
This reminds of good old Trespasser coupled with some Lost. Love it, can't wait to try it.

Deques

Great, been waiting for it to be on sale, especially the complete version. Anyone from NA who can help me get me get it?

Megasoum

Banned
Sigh...with all the Simcity BS that's been going over the last couple of days really makes me want to give Anno 2070 a try. I knew I should have bought it when it was on sale over the holidays... ugh.

Dr Dogg

Sigh...with all the Simcity BS that's been going over the last couple of days really makes me want to give Anno 2070 a try. I knew I should have bought it when it was on sale over the holidays... ugh.

I was debating it after reading the "city building other than sim" thread but seeing as I've been swapping hardware quite a bit recently I'm avoiding this like the plague. 1404 is always cheap on Get Games but they're a bit funny sometimes.

Mrbob

The Tropico 4 Complete Pack for $9.99 is one of the best deals of the year. I love Tropico 4. Time for to pick up the last piece of DLC I do not own.

HoosTrax

I can't say which is the better game since I haven't played a SC game since 2. But I will say that I think Tropico 4 Collector's Bundle for $10 is a steal. Tropico is more of a satirical, power trippy type of game. It's probably not as "spreadsheet-ish" as a SC game. The carribean setting gives it a unique character.

Mrbob

Yeah, while there is a sandbox mode there is also a 20 mission story mode. I have been pleasantly surprised at how genuinely funny some of the story bits are. I want to finish these individual missions to see where the story goes next.

The story mode is meaty too. I have about 30 hours into Tropico 4 so far and I'm only a little over halfway done. Plenty to go. Plus there are more missions to play in the Modern Times expansion.

Miasmata summary

I've put about 7 hours into this game and marked about 3/4 of the map. Your impressions are spot on.

It can look very good sometimes, with nice god rays and lots of foliage, some nice textures too. On cloudy days, the visuals are just flat. Night is very dark, but you shouldn't be going out at night anyway. Grass pop-in is definitely noticeable. Overall, I think the graphics are good, but on my 3570k/gtx 580 the frame rate does get sluggish. No real way to tweak it that I have found.

Walking around the woods is relaxing and most of the game play mechanics, while quirky, fit together well enough. I've made a couple of frantic dashes for my hut as night and sickness approached. I really wish they would've fleshed out the history of the island. There are ruins and stuff you come across all the time, but no real story or explanation behind them. I've spent most of my time triangulating the map, so maybe there is more to unfold. But I doubt it.

It's worth $5 if you're into the exploring part of it.

Tizoc

The Tropico 4 Complete Pack for $9.99 is one of the best deals of the year. I love Tropico 4. Time for to pick up the last piece of DLC I do not own.

Just checking but this does come with all DLC right? Not like with Civ V's GotY edition where it didn't have 1 or 2 DLC missing correct?
If so will grab it and Velvet A. later today~

zychi

Banned
So I"m running into an error, and every google search I've found doesn't explain how people have fixed it, just "got it" and that the end of the threads.

I"m trying to play DMC and I keep gettting a "steam needs to be open to play." I've uninstalled and re installed twice, I've verified the files. I don't know what else to do. Any suggestions?

E: LOL got it. restarting steam a few times fixed it

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member

Game itself is great

It still makes me chuckle that despite being a bit low budget and bit low rent in terms of presentation Killing Floor kills about 99% of most recent FPS in terms of how satisfying its shooting is. Every gun in that game feels like a powerhouse, the way the guns feel, the sounds, the little camera shakes etc. So damn good.

Relax.MX

I preorder Red Orchestra 2 but was a disappointment...a really buggy mess..I make a unistall rage, after the big update I reinstall the game and was incredible satisfactory, produces unforgettable moments with tension, emotion and frustration... But is not for all, if you are expecting a CoD, BF, or something like that this is not your game..

For 5 usd is a steal, just find s good server, and prepare to die, kill your team and die again

Mrbob

Just checking but this does come with all DLC right? Not like with Civ V's GotY edition where it didn't have 1 or 2 DLC missing correct?
If so will grab it and Velvet A. later today~

Yeah it looks to have everything included. I see the main game, Modern Times expansion, and all the individual DLC packs.

FYC

Banned
I preorder Red Orchestra 2 but was a disappointment...a really buggy mess..I make a unistall rage, after the big update I reinstall the game and was incredible satisfactory, produces unforgettable moments with tension, emotion and frustration... But is not for all, if you are expecting a CoD, BF, or something like that this is not your game..

For 5 usd is a steal

I only played after the update and I agree, it is incredible. KF and RO2 rule.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm a pleb and I absolutely LOVE how Bethesda has dumbed down their RPGs this generation. I remember buying Morrowind and just laughing at how ridiculous the game was. And then one day I was at a buddy's and saw he had the game too. And when I asked him if he liked the game, his eyes just glazed over and we both had a belly laugh at how absurd the game was.

So basically, you're saying that you like things to be dumber. That's a hell of a thing to admit.

Alex

I'm a pleb and I absolutely LOVE how Bethesda has dumbed down their RPGs this generation. I remember buying Morrowind and just laughing at how ridiculous the game was. And then one day I was at a buddy's and saw he had the game too. And when I asked him if he liked the game, his eyes just glazed over and we both had a belly laugh at how absurd the game was.

Well, Morrowind wasn't exactly a bastion of depth, they did a good job of making their titles less rigid but honestly there's not all that much of a difference, in my opinion, between the last three Elder Scrolls games outside of setting and pacing and some quirks.

Of course, I dislike the series so I'm not going to be an amusing person to discuss this with.

So basically, you're saying that you like things to be dumber. That's a hell of a thing to admit.

It's a hell of a way to put it, but is it really shocking that there are people out there that might find games of this nature to be too convoluted? A lot of CRPG stuff used to be very rigid, very off putting for new players or people who don't totally nerd out on the stuff.

It's hard to compare now and then with how few genuine CRPGs we've had over recent years, but even I as someone who played the classic kit when they were new appreciate a lot of the streamlining and retooling as of late when it's done properly.

Sometimes, despite what the internet says, accessibility and front end polish CAN be a very good thing. I personally don't see it as a detriment that I no longer have friends calling me to ask "what the fuck is thac0" anymore. :lol

Sometimes, despite what the internet says, accessibility and front end polish CAN be a very good thing. I personally don't see it as a detriment that I no longer have friends calling me to ask "what the fuck is thac0" anymore. :lol

To express the other point of view, my friends never asked me that, they played shooters and other action games. People who liked that sort of thac0 stuff? They played RPGs and loved the complexity.

We still have plenty of shooters and action games... but complex RPGs? Yeah when people point to Morrowind as something to be proud of there is a bit of a problem.

nexen

SSI Gold Box 4evar

I just bought a new HDD, any reason I should install Windows 8 on it? (I can get it for free through my university).

Probably not the best thread to ask this :lol

Dr Dogg

I just bought a new HDD, any reason I should install Windows 8 on it? (I can get it for free through my university).

Meh I tried it at work but it offers nothing new that I want so going to give it a pass. I want less included in my OS not more wizz bang interfaces and app stores. It's functional and you can still use it as a desktop 100% of the time but it's not worth an upgrade unless you want to try something new in my opinion.

Sysgen

Yea you'll set off a debate. I like it and I'm happy with my upgrade. I like my customized Start screen and the performance improvements.

Meh I tried it at work but it offers nothing new that I want so going to give it a pass. I want less included in my OS not more wizz bang interfaces and app stores. It's functional and you can still use it as a desktop 100% of the time but it's not worth an upgrade unless you want to try something new in my opinion.

The app store is invisible. Unpin it.

Rufus

Well, Morrowind wasn't exactly a bastion of depth, they did a good job of making their titles less rigid but honestly there's not all that much of a difference, in my opinion, between the last three Elder Scrolls games outside of setting and pacing and some quirks.
I agree. Morrowind gives you more options, but it's still very much like the games that followed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom