• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

1-D_FTW

So basically, you're saying that you like things to be dumber. That's a hell of a thing to admit.

No. I'm gladly admitting I've never played a game of D&D in my life. And if an RPG starts out with an encyclopedia of text (it really wants me to read) and has character creation that can easily allow non D&D nerds to create a broken character that can't complete the game, I'm glad they pissed off the D&D crowd to serve the rest of us. The haters can call it dumb downed, and I'll embrace their hatred and accept the crown, but IMO I consider it necessary streamlining. It's a genre that was way too convoluted for its own good.

And besides, had they not did this, they never would have expanded the market. And they'd be just as niche as JRPGs have become. Some people here crucify games if they don't have AAAA graphics, and call them indie crap without it, but that's the price you pay. If you want the mega-budget, you need to expand outside of the hardcore D&D crowd. You can't have both and it really irritates me when people go on tirades wanting both.

I'm not saying I'm a fan of the dumbing down of gaming, cause I'm not. I'm just saying I love the new Bethesda cause as a non D&D gamer who actually likes adventure gaming, the WRPG was in fact way too convoluted for my tastes.

i dunno how morrowind had a d&d-like character creation but i can say that i don't miss rolling for ideal stats at the start of baldur's gate. ironically oblivion's leveling system made for a completely unintuitive character creation, making it very easy to get low stat bonuses as a result.

but i do miss the immersion of morrowind with its uniquely placed loot, non-scaled enemies, no NPC invincibility and lack of compass hotspots. it's hard not to view bethesda's output since then and just see them as interactive versions of progress quest.

Dr Dogg

i dunno how morrowind had a d&d-like character creation but i can say that i don't miss rolling for ideal stats at the start of baldur's gate. ironically oblivion's leveling system made for a completely unintuitive character creation, making it very easy to get low stat bonuses as a result.

but i do miss the immersion of morrowind with its uniquely placed loot, non-scaled enemies, no NPC invincibility and lack of compass hotspots. it's hard not to view bethesda's output since then and just see them as interactive versions of progress quest.

Oblivion made me feel like it had table top RPG element as I had to constantly be writing down what stats had gone up not to screw up leveling up. God damn acrobatics made that game turn into far too much crouch walking at time.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone heard anything about Sniper Ghost Warrior 2 ? It's out next week and barely a peep from anyone about it.

I know the first one was supposed to be quite awful (though one of my friends said he thought it was a fun 'bad' game after it was patched up) but I'm curious, especially as it's a Cryengine 3 game.

Dr Dogg

Seeing as COH 2 has got a more concrete release date now has anyone seen any decent pre-order offers or prices yet? £40 does seam a bit steep to me and Steams pre-order bonuses are not grabbing me and I own Retribution already. Thanks in advance folks.

Grief.exe

Can anyone explain where the remote download feature is on the Android App? If it's there, it's like they went out of their way to hide it.

Click the button in the upper left hand corner to get all the shortcuts open.

Click on your steam picture to get to your profile.

Scroll down to your games, you may have to click view all, there should be an arrow next to it for installing.

You have to be signed in on your home computer for this to work.

Seeing as COH 2 has got a more concrete release date now has anyone seen any decent pre-order offers or prices yet? £40 does seam a bit steep to me and Steams pre-order bonuses are not grabbing me and I own Retribution already. Thanks in advance folks.

Not sure if those pre-orders will stay the same. Can they actually give a free copy of Warhammer now that Sega is the publisher or will Sega lower the price to $49.99? $59.99 is something THQ seems to have pushed for. The hats probably will stay and the Beta access is pretty much guaranteed. Check the Buy/Sell/Trade thread some people selling steamgift copies for cheaper.

KNT-Zero

Guys, guys, guys, guys!

Sonic discounts on Gamersgate!

- Sonic CD for £1.00 (75%)

- Sonic Adventure 2 for £1.50 (75%)
--> (The Battle DLC is not discounted and more expensive than the main game lol!)

- Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed for £9.98 (50%)

[Among others]

There's also Nights for £3.00 (75%)

I'm SO dipping in on SA2 (after finishing in my old GC even). I dunno about Nights and Sonic Racing Transformed, I can always wait for 75%...

water1111

Banned
Guys, guys, guys, guys!

Sonic discounts on Gamersgate!

- Sonic CD for £1.00 (75%)

- Sonic Adventure 2 for £1.50 (75%)
--> (The Battle DLC is not discounted and more expensive than the main game lol!)

- Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed for £9.98 (50%)

[Among others]

There's also Nights for £3.00 (75%)

I'm SO dipping in on SA2 (after finishing in my old GC even). I dunno about Nights and Sonic Racing Transformed, I can always wait for 75%...

I'm reluctant to buy any SA2 since SA1 was such a horrific port, Sonic CD and Sonic racing are pretty games though.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I am too poor so I can't get Nights until 75% off in US. I know they put more into it than the Sonic Adventure 2 port but I don't quite understand the reluctance for 75% off. It already was on PS Store a while ago.

Dr Dogg

Not sure if those pre-orders will stay the same. Can they actually give a free copy of Warhammer now that Sega is the publisher or will Sega lower the price to $49.99? $59.99 is something THQ seems to have pushed for. The hats probably will stay and the Beta access is pretty much guaranteed. Check the Buy/Sell/Trade thread some people selling steamgift copies for cheaper.

Well Warhammer 40K: Space Marine cropped up on Steam yesterday with an interesting addition. Instead of THQ listed as the published it was now saying Sega. There was a thread about it here yesterday but nothing official although Bish was confident. Only reason I ask is that I can pre-order it cheaper for a boxed copy locally so don't know now that Sega have confirmed a date that other pre-orders might go up elsewhere.

daxy

I am too poor so I can't get Nights until 75% off in US. I know they put more into it than the Sonic Adventure 2 port but I don't quite understand the reluctance for 75% off. It already was on PS Store a while ago.

Check your PMs ;)

Dice

Check your PMs ;)
omg I love you

arranVd.gif

Blizzard

Banned
KOTOR 2 is the daily at 66% for $3.40
http://store.steampowered.com/app/208580/
The KOTOR games are pretty much known as classics at this point, but for anyone who likes Star Wars and hasn't played them, I think they're pretty cool. They're apparently rated well, I think the fan restoration mod for KOTOR 2 was finished for anyone who wants to mess with that, and if I recall correctly they're not super short so there's a good bit of playing to be had.

The best recommendation I can probably give is that when I saw it on sale, I just gifted to 3 randomish people who had it on their wishlist.

Baha

If you can't get in on a 4 pack for Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed on Gamersgate, you can buy it for $12 at GMG with the 20% off coupon: GMG20-P4DLK-FKYRS

esai

i want to buy tropico 4 now. i have too many games i havent even started but all this sim city failure makes me want to play it.

For the first KotOR, I think the only things you need are the widescreen and ui mods. Just a heads up, the menus will still all be windowed and tiny, so check the actual game to verify if the widescreen path is working.

iavi

I'm reluctant to buy any SA2 since SA1 was such a horrific port, Sonic CD and Sonic racing are pretty games though.

SA2 is a fantastic port. Nothing like the shit that was SA1.

There isn't much in the way of graphical options, but it runs on a toaster, and plays nice with all the driver level forcing anyway, so you're not missing anything.

During the winter sale I managed to trim my wish list down to 1-2 games. I have 40+ games (I know, that's not many by GAF standards) ... and now my wish list has grown to 12.

But I did finish Spec Ops... so... progress? Anti-progress?

It's library not a backlog... just keeping saying that

Dr Dogg

During the winter sale I managed to trim my wish list down to 1-2 games. I have 40+ games (I know, that's not many by GAF standards) ... and now my wish list has grown to 12.

But I did finish Spec Ops... so... progress? Anti-progress?

It's library not a backlog... just keeping saying that

That's what I keep trying to tell myself. Unfortunately my library is turning into that warehouse at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark. I don't worry though their being looked after by top men... Top men!

Click the button in the upper left hand corner to get all the shortcuts open.

Click on your steam picture to get to your profile.

Scroll down to your games, you may have to click view all, there should be an arrow next to it for installing.

You have to be signed in on your home computer for this to work.

I can't get it to work, everytime I try to click on the arrow it takes me to the product page.

Grief.exe

That's what I keep trying to tell myself. Unfortunately my library is turning into that warehouse at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark. I don't worry though their being looked after by top men... Top men!

I look at it like I'm not going to play through classic games right now.

I've already put hundreds of hours into games like Morrowind, Deus Ex, KOTOR 1/2, etc.

But I will play through them again at some point in the future. Its nice to have picked them up for $2.50 and have them available for when I'm in the mood.

If the extra 90 cents is an issue, PM me your email and I'll buy you the game. :p

I understand the principle though. Maybe our beloved 75% standard Steam discount will be degrading to 66%. Steamflation!

Yes, this seems to be the trend nowadays. (There are exceptions of course but, yeah.)

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
If the extra 90 cents is an issue, PM me your email and I'll buy you the game. :p

I understand the principle though. Maybe our beloved 75% standard Steam discount will be degrading to 66%. Steamflation!
Nah man, don't worry about it. I have many other games to play, I can wait a little longer. Thanks a lot though :)

And the games are like the Ark. If you try to play them, your face will melt. We're lucky everyone here is wise and don't touch them!

fleck0

I'm trying to figure out which games on steam can take 2+ people in local split screen into a multiplayer match.

Recently I know Sonic Transformed does it, and I think the Trials beta is supposed to have it, drawing a blank after those two. Blur maybe, cant imagine anyone is playing that?

Dice

Yo, they really remastered the fuck out of Nights. I need to take a nap so I can play this magical game in a more invested manner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom