• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I use a second hdd and this is my directory E:\Steam\steamapps\common

All my installed games are in that directory. But if I copy any kind of game into that common folder then press install on the game in steam and cancel and try verifying it says 100% and does not download any file it needs it simple writes over those files and starts downloading the whole game.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
So I bought Stalker Clear Sky for $10 since I've always wanted to play a Stalker game. I just fiddled with it a bit, really. I have to set it to bare minimum and I get about 25-30fps but it's pretty neat so far.

I'm just starting the very first mission now but keep dying due to what I'm assuming is radiation.

Like I said, it's pretty cool but I'm wondering if I shouldn't have bought Hotline Miami now instead. That looks fucking SWEET. Did you guys enjoy it. I'm thinking I definitely need t buy it when I get paid.

DTKT

So I bought Stalker Clear Sky for $10 since I've always wanted to play a Stalker game. I just fiddled with it a bit, really. I have to set it to bare minimum and I get about 25-30fps but it's pretty neat so far.

I'm just starting the very first mission now but keep dying due to what I'm assuming is radiation.

Like I said, it's pretty cool but I'm wondering if I shouldn't have bought Hotline Miami now instead. That looks fucking SWEET. Did you guys enjoy it. I'm thinking I definitely need t buy it when I get paid.

CS is probably the weakest out of the three Stalker games. Call of Pripyat and Shadow of Chernobyl are both great games and downright amazing with a few mods.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

Hotline Miami was one of my Top 5 from last year and I highly recommend it. Shame STALKER is hogging your system, the engine isn't the greatest but any half modern system should be able to play fairly high with the exception of Call of Pripyat which had lots of fancy Direct X 11 bits to it. Clear Sky is the weakest of the three, but IMO it's still a game worth playing compared to other choices.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Yeah I use a second hdd and this is my directory E:\Steam\steamapps\common

All my installed games are in that directory. But if I copy any kind of game into that common folder then press install on the game in steam and cancel and try verifying it says 100% and does not download any file it needs it simple writes over those files and starts downloading the whole game.

Strange, perhaps the data didn't copy successfully. I can assure you that the trick still works. Next time you visit your friend, use Steam's own backup/restore function to copy the game to your HDD, just to be on the safe side.

When downloading games do they usually just download straight into the common folder? Mine download in the downloading folder and then eventually make a folder in the common directory

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
When downloading games do they usually just download straight into the common folder? Mine download in the downloading folder and then eventually make a folder in the common directory

Games on the new content delivery system (which is all but a few at this point) do. When you move a folder to steamapps\common prior to installation, Steam should detect the existing data and only download what's needed (if anything at all).

I just decided to uninstall all and everything steam along with the games and start fresh to see if its fixed.

So I deleted all of steam reinstalled it under a different director on the same hdd even thought Im not sure that mattered and xcom finally verified and installed

Salsa

WAIT I FORGOT THAT YOU COULD LOSE IF THE SHIP REACHED YOUR BASE

jx1merMMQcjlp.jpg

that's it fuck everything fuck everyone im done fuck FUCKIN SHIT

zkylon

zkylewd
I figured so much but, rather insidiously, CS was half the price.
it's not like clear sky is terrible or anything though, so give it a chance. it's a pretty hard game early on, starting guns are pretty terrible and pretty much everything is out to kill you, so just explore bits at a time as you grow a small arsenal.

just scavenge, take easy quests, don't waste bullets on shooting down monsters since they usually don't drop anything worthwhile, etc.

you might want to get this mod btw: http://www.moddb.com/mods/clear-sky-complete. I think it's modular enough so you can turn off the bells and whistles so you can still run it alright.

DocSeuss

I wrote a guide on the STALKER series a while ago. Hope this helps.

The most important part, I think, is this:

They're not like video games. To try to play them like video games is to play them incorrectly. You must treat them like real spaces. If a man tells you to put down your gun, do it, or he'll put you down. If you try to take on the military, be warned: they're a lot better at killing than you are. To survive, do what you would do if you were really there--likewise, grow as you would grow if you were really there.

They're buggy. Accept this. Quicksave often.

You will die a lot. Again, Quicksave often. Don't get frustrated--the first game in particular does take a few hours to really click. That said, a couple things that will prevent you from dying are the quickbandage and quick first-aid kit buttons. Learn where they are. Rebind them to better keys if necessary. If you start bleeding, use a bandage. If your health gets low, use a first aid kit. If you suffer from radiation poisoning and there are no enemies around, drink vodka. If there are enemies around, use some anti-radiation meds.

Actually, speaking of rebinding keys, STALKER really benefits from better keybindings. If you're using WSAD--and you should--switch "sprint" to shift, ctrl to crouch, and use something else (I generally go with C) to low-crouch.

WAIT I FORGOT THAT YOU COULD LOSE IF THE SHIP REACHED YOUR BASE
http://i.minus.com/jx1merMMQcjlp.jpg[IMG]
that's it fuck everything fuck everyone im done fuck FUCKIN SHIT[/QUOTE]
Yeah the end game doesn't communicate that very well to you at all. I have played it a handful of times and still don't really get how it works. Also know how you feel. After I got the boss down to 1HP and still died I was like "okay I'm done with this"

Salsa

Yeah the end game doesn't communicate that very well to you at all. I have played it a handful of times and still don't really get how it works. Also know how you feel. After I got the boss down to 1HP and still died I was like "okay I'm done with this"

I got it the first time I lost, but I just forget

kamil

Neo Member
Is it normal that Steam asked me for a code from email when logging into because he thinks I'm accessing it from new computer? I've logged into my account many times from this computer. I've also got a laptop from which I log into steam but I rarely play on it.

Deques

Is it normal that Steam asked me for a code from email when logging into because he thinks I'm accessing it from new computer? I've logged into my account many times from this computer. I've also got a laptop from which I log into steam but I rarely play on it.

sometimes steam forgets you, its normal

Yes, that's Steam Guard. It honestly asks me for the code every second day, it's a little annoying, but that's the price you pay for security.

sprinkles

Getting rid of some bundle duplicates, so free stuff below (quote to see):

Gemini Rue
Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP
Splice
Crayon Physics Deluxe
Indie Game: The Movie

Dr Dogg

Yes, that's Steam Guard. It honestly asks me for the code every second day, it's a little annoying, but that's the price you pay for security.

Really? I only get this if I do a CCleaner sweep accidentally on Steam or get a BSOD or CTD and reboot exception. Other than that Steam Guard works hunky-doorey across 3 PC's and 1 Mac.

I'm close to caving in to the anno 2070 complete pack. Good thing there's noone from the UK here that could buy it for me and I paypal him.

Anyone?

dani_dc

Enhanced Steam says Rayman Origins have 3rd party DRM, but on the site, it list no DRM. Who to believe?

Rayman Origins is DRM-free on Steam.

The game has DRM on every DD service except Steam, I imagine the database that Enhanced Steam is using for the DRM doesn't take in account that the Steam version is DRM free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom