• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Molotov

They really should change the IP name when they're getting beat in the puzzle department by a god of war game of all things.

I dunno, these actually seem more like real tombs that you're raiding. Most real tombs aren't 5,000,000 sq/ft, multi-level, underground complexes full of giant octopi and dinosaurs.

Grief.exe

Hoping Far Cry 3 has a decent sale soon.

Keep in mind Amazon sells Steam keys as well.

I'll admit that market stuff has me kind of wanting to learn how to play it. I only played a couple of bot matches a year or two ago but I kind of want to get a bunch of items now, even if they only go for 10 cents each. It all adds up.

As Salsa said you can't sell any of the stuff that you earn in game on the market, that may change in the future though.

But I plan on playing during Halloween and Christmas updates. Pay $5 to open a couple crates and you may unbox some strange weapons that are worth crazy amounts.

http://steamcommunity.com/market/listings/440/Strange Festive Scattergun
http://steamcommunity.com/market/listings/440/Strange Festive Rocket Launcher
http://steamcommunity.com/market/listings/440/Strange Festive Minigun
http://steamcommunity.com/market/listings/440/Strange Festive Medi Gun

Here is the gun I picked up for about a dollar, looks pretty cool. Already tallied 100 kills with it.

http://steamcommunity.com/market/listings/440/Strange Silver Botkiller Scattergun Mk.I

Did steam change the way you back up files? For example I use to bring my external hdd to a friends house and copy games that were 20 to 30gb that we shared in common. Now when I do this same thing it makes me download the whole game regardless if I own or if its f2p.

Javaman

Off topic (I guess?) for a second but is it ok to buy these dota 2 invites on the steam market? There's so many and they're all like 2 cents which makes me suspicious why anyone would even bother selling them at that price.
Actually they're only making a penny on each. The other penny goes to valve. I had 6 that I threw on there without a regret. Best 6 cents I've ever earned!

Karakand

In SW bad guys dress in black and might as well strangle puppies and kick kittens. Good guys are Mark Hamill style squeaky-clean. Ambiguity and complicated moral quandaries are ill suited to the Star Wars universe. Also they seemed to not know how to separate the chaff from the wheat in the Old Republic fiction. Some of the Mandalorian stuff they put into the game was so awkward. Also - abrupt, unfinished ending. But we all know that one.

The cool thing about Project Eternity is that we get to see them craft a fictional world with forced ambiguity from the ground up. No more being bound by pre-existing internal logic while using someone else's intellectual property as their own soapbox. The excitement is almost palpable! What if.............. elves were really killing the planet by living in harmony with nature? Makes you think.

Maybe someone here can help me.

I bought Fallout GOTY, reading online I should be able to do Operation: Anchorage quests immediately. But I don't see any quests active for that. Any ideas?

Edit: Okay, when lauching F3 I had to select all the addon data files. Did that, and got it started! Wooho

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

I bought Fallout GOTY, reading online I should be able to do Operation: Anchorage quests immediately. But I don't see any quests active for that. Any ideas?

All of the DLC quests pop up after a little bit of time once you've left the vault for the first time. There's no set time, just whenever it feels like taking. You could wait in place for half a day to see if it triggers.

Grief.exe

Edit: Okay, when lauching F3 I had to select all the addon data files. Did that, and got it started! Wooho

Reminds me I need to put Fallout 3 onto my wishlist, after seeing Wanny's mod I need to play through it again.

These shots are ridiculous.

To whoever it may interest : http://fallout3.nexusmods.com/mods/18753
I'm not responsible if it looks crap on your monitor and breaks it. :p

Big bandwidth hit incoming

1opst0.png

2eys3i.png

439s40.png

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Huh, a lot of Activision games got updated in the registry including Blur and the 007 games which can't be bought anymore.

looks like the change, on Bloodstone and the Movies at least, was "about 3 hours ago Added community_visible_stats – 1" -- so I'm not sure if this is a change in what that particular registry site scans or if it's a change in actual content in the registry entry. But regardless it appears to be a bureaucratic thing about community hubs or stats, rather than a change to the content of the game.

FloatOn

if someone could justify alpha protocol to me I'd be fair about it.

at what point and in what universe does it become good?

I wanted to believe and I was hugely disappointed. I can forgive some jank, I beat and enjoyed the original Risen but alpha protocol was a disgusting mess despite it's intriguing spy rpg premise.

Grief.exe

I've been trying to outfit my Scout in TF2 with a cool hat. I have exhausted almost all of my old weapons in pursuit of this, and don't really have any left to smelt down.

Anyone want to help me out with some of their old weapons just sitting in their inventory?

I don't expect the ones that you can sell on the market, but the yellow ones that cannot be sold.

Thanks for your help guys!

Alienups

I've been trying to outfit my Scout in TF2 with a cool hat. I have exhausted almost all of my old weapons in pursuit of this, and don't really have any left to smelt down.

Anyone want to help me out with some of their old weapons just sitting in their inventory?

I don't expect the ones that you can sell on the market, but the yellow ones that cannot be sold.

Thanks for your help guys!

Which hat are you looking for ?

Did steam change the way you back up files? For example I use to bring my external hdd to a friends house and copy games that were 20 to 30gb that we shared in common. Now when I do this same thing it makes me download the whole game regardless if I own or if its f2p.

Sorry to quote myself but can anyone help me solve this issue. I have too many games backed up on my hdd to redownload them all over again

Exuro

Sorry to quote myself but can anyone help me solve this issue. I have too many games backed up on my hdd to redownload them all over again
A lot of games have converted from gcf/ncf to acf files so unless they're the latter chances are it needs to convert/redownload the game.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

How are you going about this, exactly? Did you just copy the folders from your friend's steamapps folder?

A lot of games have converted from gcf/ncf to acf files so unless they're the latter chances are it needs to convert/redownload the game.

The ACF files don't contain data: if you look in your steamapps folder you'll notice they're all 1KB. I assume they're just Steam's variant of a symbolic link that tells the client where the data is located.

Grief.exe

Which hat are you looking for ?

I hadn't really thought about it I guess. I was just going to craft random headgear using a scout token and wear whatever came out.

Flipping through the TF2 wiki, I like a lot of them. My favorites are Milkman, Hermes, Baker Boy, Front Runner, Flipped Trilby, and the Fedora.

Try using the Steam Backup/Restore function.

Click Steam Backup, copy the file. Then restore on your hardware.

Up until few weeks ago I could simply copy the games directory folder to my hdd then copy it back at a later date and the game would simply use the previous files and go from there. Now it refuses to use them and installs over them

JaseC

Up until few weeks ago I could simply copy the games directory folder to my hdd then copy it back at a later date and the game would simply use the previous files and go from there. Now it refuses to use them and installs over them

Can you name a specific game? I moved Worms Armageddon out of harms way, uninstalled it, moved the folder back and Steam detected the existing files just fine.

I tried it with xcom hitman torchlight 2. One thing I noticed is the game wont verify even thought it says 100% when it does. What I mean by that is it will instantly say 100% verified while a game I actually have installed at the moment will take few mins to actually 100% verify

Does Left4Dead 2 work on Linux now?
I decided to buy it since it's on sale, and when I clicked install it started downloading, usually if a game isn't compatible it will just show an error saying it's the wrong format or something.

JaseC

I tried it with xcom hitman torchlight 2. One thing I noticed is the game wont verify even thought it says 100% when it does. What I mean by that is it will instantly say 100% verified while a game I actually have installed at the moment will take few mins to actually 100% verify

XCOM also worked for me. Are you absolutely sure that, prior to installation, you're moving the folder to the location where Steam will install the game (the default location may not be Steam\steamapps\common if you've opted to install a game elsewhere) and that the folder is correctly named (e.g. XCOM = XCom-Enemy-Unknown)?

Does Left4Dead 2 work on Linux now?
I decided to buy it since it's on sale, and when I clicked install it started downloading, usually if a game isn't compatible it will just show an error saying it's the wrong format or something.

L4D2 was the very first game released for Steam Linux.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom