• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

Off topic (I guess?) for a second but is it ok to buy these dota 2 invites on the steam market? There's so many and they're all like 2 cents which makes me suspicious why anyone would even bother selling them at that price.

i'll just give you one, what's your steam id?

Off topic (I guess?) for a second but is it ok to buy these dota 2 invites on the steam market? There's so many and they're all like 2 cents which makes me suspicious why anyone would even bother selling them at that price.

Saturated marketplace I'd imagine, I hit 15 recently with no end in sight.

Salsa

pretty bad timing to turn around now that capcom is crap

I mean whatever bring Monster Hunter to PC and watch the world collapse

Derrick01

Banned
i'll just give you one, what's your steam id?

Well I kind of already bought one before asking and then I started thinking maybe I might have fucked up or something. I wasn't going to but since Ubi had to be dicks and couldn't knock that extra 9 cents off I am alive I was left with a nasty uneven number in my wallet.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I think what gets people is having a gun, running up to the first NSF troop and not being able to shoot worth a god damn and getting killed. At that point you have to realize that despite its FPS trappings it's not a game to be played like one.
Yup, it shouldn't be played as an FPS. If you don't play it stealthily, you're doing it wrong.

Actual spoiler:
That is, until you get the Dragon's Tooth sword and you can wreak havoc when coupled with the Run Silent and Cloak augmentations. It's hard to keep doing a no-kill playthrough when you are handed such an awesome weapon, even though I had -indirectly- killed a couple of guards and scientists before, as well as Anna Navarre.

Dr Dogg

I suppose this is related to steam, L4D2 + RE6 Mercenaries crossover on pc.

http://www.capcom-unity.com/brelston/blog/2013/03/15/left-4-dead-2-infects-resident-evil-6

Some nice pics..

This is kinda cool. DLC is free, by the way. ;D

Gah and I was so close to not buying RE 6. A couple of my mates have said the Mercenaries mode in 6 is cracking but the rest of the game looks pretty poor. To sale or not to sale, that is the question.

Deus Ex is SO good. So far it's totally my late 2013 GOTY.

Funny you should mention that as my boxed copy is the GOTY edition... from 2001. Might Tipex it out and scribble in 2013 now.

zkylon

zkylewd
Shut up, it was fantastic and I won't hear a word against it!

Not having a map at all times, and therefore getting lost, was really nice for a change. Obviously I don't like it in every game, but it helped enhance the experience here. And the level design was top tier.

I can't believe I only paid $2.50 for that masterpiece. Somehow I feel worse than a pirate :p

nah, not at all. It's probably one of the best deals I've ever got, at least gaming related
I bought the big box on ebay for 5 bucks, it's got that shiny reflective thing going on and everything.

no regrets

I think what gets people is having a gun, running up to the first NSF troop and not being able to shoot worth a god damn and getting killed. At that point you have to realize that despite its FPS trappings it's not a game to be played like one.
yup, same with AP, although in both cases I'd say their initial areas aren't as inviting as they could be. you're just sorta dropped into big ass liberty island, people couldn't deal with it.

pretty bad timing to turn around now that capcom is crap

I mean whatever bring Monster Hunter to PC and watch the world collapse

choose every asshole dialog choice and:

QZpNLEp.gif

I can agree with that.
Check the video for some samples, don't watch the whole thing because spoilers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUydx57te9s

drizzle

Axel Hertz
The Dota2 invite dump bot doesn't work anymore? I sent all my invites to it. You just have to ask for one and it'll automatically give you one.

The Dota2 invite dump bot doesn't work anymore? I sent all my invites to it. You just have to ask for one and it'll automatically give you one.

Yeah, plus any excess Steam credit gets discounted from your next Steam purchase anyway. There's literally no reason to buy Dota 2 invites.

Grief.exe

For those that play TF2, is crafting a random headgear with reclaimed metal and selling the result a good way to make money?

I have enough weapons that are untradeable to probably make about 2 hats.

Grief.exe

Those are unique quality, regular hats. You can't market untradeable things either so that's double jeopardy. Only hats that are marketable right now are genuine or vintage.

you can only sell Vintage or Genuine items

that'll change eventually tho

Ah ok thanks for the info, I'm new to all this so I appreciate it.

I used to play TF2 a lot before it went F2P, haven't really dipped back into it since then, but I'm enjoying it right now.

I really only play scout, so I can craft a scout headgear with 4x Reclaimed + 1x Class Token...Too bad I used all my Bonk Sodas to created scrap metal.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Finally getting around to the Batmobile DLC in Sleeping Dogs and it's so much fun, speed and steering upgrades, armor, an electromagnetic pulse, guns, auto-pilot, and the missions are cool too. It's so satisfying that I'm actually considering I can wait for the next sale to get Year of the Snake. Lol.

Risgroo

Playing LoTR: War in the North at the moment, and I'm not enjoying it at all. Combat is slow, and every encounter feels the same and goes on for way too long, . Does it get better after a while(near the end of the first chapter at the moment) or should I just play Return of the King for my LoTR hack 'n slash fix?

Playing LoTR: War in the North at the moment, and I'm not enjoying it at all. Combat is slow, and every encounter feels the same and goes on for way too long, . Does it get better after a while(near the end of the first chapter at the moment) or should I just play Return of the King for my LoTR hack 'n slash fix?

I played about 2/3rds of it before giving up. Definitely only for the die hard fan service lovers.

FloatOn

Alpha Protocol is shit. GAF hype failed me on this one.

It controls awful. Looks like a first gen PS2 game. Fails as an rpg. Fails as a stealth shooter. Has one of the worst hacking mini games ever (crossword puzzles).

If you want a conversation simulator play The Walking Dead.

Anybody else finished Tomb Raider? Is it just me or is the ending a bit left field? I assume it's referring to the DLC but
Croatoan? Lost Colony? From Japan to North Carolina? Alright.

zkylon

zkylewd

It controls awful. Looks like a first gen PS2 game. Fails as an rpg. Fails as a stealth shooter. Has one of the worst hacking mini games ever (crossword puzzles).

hmm don't know if troll so I guess it's a win

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

ibr5YkNmkopyo0.gif

I spent $2 for Alpha Protocol on Steam, and it was my 2010 GOTY. I enjoyed the heck out of that game.

If they ever made a sequel (which I know is not going to happen), I'd pay $60 for it on day one. And I never do that.

Dr Dogg

Anybody else finished Tomb Raider? Is it just me or is the ending a bit left field? I assume it's referring to the DLC but

Well didn't help that the supporting cast were a bit meh. I felt it was setting up an inevitable sequel. Enjoyed it in the end but the tombs were shockingly bad. I can over look the UbiSoft style collectables and nauseating upgrade/xp system but a franchise that has a heritage of having puzzle solving to be subjected to
one simple puzzle
per optional tomb? Reboot or not it certainly grinds my gears alright. But undoubtedly I'll pick it up on a Steam sale, double dip style. Got to check me out some TresFX first hand.

Well didn't help that the supporting cast were a bit meh. I felt it was setting up an inevitable sequel. Enjoyed it in the end but the tombs were shockingly bad. I can over look the UbiSoft style collectables and nauseating upgrade/xp system but a franchise that has a heritage of having puzzle solving to be subjected to
one simple puzzle
per optional tomb? Reboot or not it certainly grinds my gears alright.
But undoubtedly I'll pick it up on a Steam sale, double dip style. Got to check me out some TresFX first hand.
There were some very vocal fellows in this forum with a very contrarian actitude towards the game, even long before release. As always my stance is to experience before judging. With that said, of the reboots or recent action games present in my memory, this has to be the one that makes the most concessions in pursuit of what is considered the latest "hot gaming trend". It gets to the point of being pathetic. Another strange surprise to me is how suspension of desbilief is so easily killed of with some of the situations presented in the game, even more so than in other similar titles for a reason that eludes me now.

On one hand the game seems quite polished, has a strong visual design and it is easy to see that vast time and money was spent bring it to life. So in the end i kind of understand why there was some acrid reactions from a portion of the fan base.

I went from "nice" to "hmm" to "ok, this looks good" to "I don't know..." to "maybe it isn't that bad..." to "ok, this is actually pretty good" when I finally got to play Tomb Raider.

I never was a huge fan of the previous games. I played but never finished Tomb Raider 1 and 2 on my PC years ago, dabbled in the new trilogy but it wasn't until 2012 when I played and finished Legend and Anniversary. I ended up liking Legend and loving Anniversary. Now, I won't say that TR2013 represents the death of gaming or some BS but I wasn't exactly thrilled by the new focus on combat over puzzles, cutscenes over player agency and automated platforming. I still don't like these parts but I managed to look past them and take the game for what it is and it does it well most of the time. It is visually very impressive, the marriage of action and stealth works pretty well and I personally think that the bigger levels are very well designed from a traversal perspective. I was surprised how polished it is.

But all that makes its shortcomings even more apparent. Lara's characterization isn't as awful as trailers would lead you to believe but it still falls flat the moment she turns into a bloodthirsty killer. The puzzles and optional tombs are insultingly simple. Platforming is practically a no-risk affair. There are stretches of gameplay where you're practically left alone soon to be followed by a barrage of cutscenes. The challenges feel completely tacked on, have mostly nothing to do with the gameplay and make me want to find copies of the Banjo games so I can burn them. Experience and salvage system are completely detached from the cinematic approach the game takes. The environments are pretty to look at and traverse but they aren't very interesting combat areas etc.

The new approach has potential, it's not a completely broken concept but it just isn't what I want out of a game, Tomb Raider or not. It doesn't seem to know what it wants to do but somehow still managed to be enjoyable for the 13h it took me to complete. Looking back at it I can't really think of any memorable moments while the multi-layered puzzles of Anniversary will stay with me for a long time.

2013 has been rather disappointing so far with DmC and Tomb Raider being good but just not great. It's funny how the beta of Papers, Please has left a stronger impression than either game. I'm afraid of picking up Bioshock Infinite.

Salsa

just bought Pid, it's cheap ($3.39) on GMG right now

PidFeatured-600x300.jpg

totally forgot about this game, art direction looks great and its by the Bionic Commando Rearmed guys

apparently it got some underwhelming reviews cause its hard as balls, but bring it

Exploration, plattforming, puzzle solving all strong aspects of Tomb Raider games are dissoleved, the only link to the past games is Lara's character.

The way the remote island setting is treated feels off. Give the scavengers a flag and an anthem, just watch the United Nation recognize them as a new country.

The design is so robotic. Limited to pack as much popular features expected for this type of game as possible, it doesn't matter if it makes sense or not in it's context. Take a look at the weapon set, is a checklist of the defacto shooter standard. Throw away multiplayer mode included. Plot and cinematic scenes that conveys every prototypical hollywood action movie situation.

It woud be very interesting to see if The Last of Us ends up being a step forward in survival games and popularizes the sub genre. A potential commercial succes for it will be even richer, since that's the type of rute this Tmb Rider reboot should've followed.

Grief.exe

Selling off my old vintage and genuine items has reinvigorated my interest in TF2.

I bought a strange shotgun for about a dollar, and just been having a blast with the game again.

I generally only play scout, so I have been converting all of my old items into metals to try to get a hat for him.

That Nvidia thread is a clusterfuck. Is there a PC-GAF Official Thread? I guess this is the de facto PC OT?

No kidding, those threads get out of hand real fast on GAF. I tend to stay out of them unless I want my blood pressure to shoot up.

Atomski

just bought Pid, it's cheap ($3.39) on GMG right now

http://indiegamehq.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/PidFeatured-600x300.jpg[IMG]

totally forgot about this game, art direction looks great and its by the Bionic Commando Rearmed guys

apparently it got some underwhelming reviews cause its hard as balls, but bring it[/QUOTE]

I remember it getting bad reviews as well but metacritic says 83 which is good.. I feel dirty for checking metacritic now though

I also bought it as well and a few other indie titles.. this sale finally broke me I have been trying to stop myself from buying games lately as I never seem to have time to play them or just play multiplayer stuff.

Edit: I seem to be going blind it was a 63 lol...

Derrick01

Banned
Selling off my old vintage and genuine items has reinvigorated my interest in TF2.

I bought a strange shotgun for about a dollar, and just been having a blast with the game again.

I generally only play scout, so I have been converting all of my old items into metals to try to get a hat for him.

I'll admit that market stuff has me kind of wanting to learn how to play it. I only played a couple of bot matches a year or two ago but I kind of want to get a bunch of items now, even if they only go for 10 cents each. It all adds up.

chixdiggit

Just picked up a 27" Asus VG278H and 3D Trine 2 is blowing my mind. Never a fan of 3D on my plasma but this monitor is incredible.
What other 3D games do I need to try out?

Salsa

I'll admit that market stuff has me kind of wanting to learn how to play it. I only played a couple of bot matches a year or two ago but I kind of want to get a bunch of items now, even if they only go for 10 cents each. It all adds up.

you cant sell anything you get by playing

not on the steam market anyway

it'll change soon enough hopefully

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom