• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

Monster Hunter should also ship with an adrenaline needle so I can stay awake while playing it. I only played one of the PSP games but good lord it was boring. Tiny generic empty looking areas with a couple monsters each and all I did was swing some giant slow sword around a couple times.

The 1 analog stick didn't help things to be honest. I fought the controls almost the entire time.

while I dont necesarelly think you'd love it, it seems like the kinda game you'd really enjoy. In the sense that it is the least hand-holding of the bunch. You just gotta suffer through it for a while till you "get it"

also the single player experience is nothing more than a warm up to what the game really is. It's a game to play with other people, you straight up need to for some of the monsters.

and yes the PSP versions caused the infamous "claw hand" because of the awful camera

PSP_Claw.jpg

Monster Hunter should also ship with an adrenaline needle so I can stay awake while playing it. I only played one of the PSP games but good lord it was boring. Tiny generic empty looking areas with a couple monsters each and all I did was swing some giant slow sword around a couple times.

The 1 analog stick didn't help things to be honest. I fought the controls almost the entire time.

Agreed. I tried the demo on the Wii U (first MH experience) and it was terrible. Clunky. Boring. Lifeless. Just plain bad.

Derrick01

Banned
while I dont necesarelly think you'd love it, it seems like the kinda game you'd really enjoy. In the sense that it is the least hand-holding of the bunch. You just gotta suffer through it for a while till you "get it"

also the single player experience is nothing more than a warm up to what the game really is. It's a game to play with other people, you straight up need to for some of the monsters.

I'm all for very little hand holding but the monster hunter genre (whatever it's called) is not geared for someone like me. I don't like the tiny chopped up areas or the MMO-like kill or fetch quests.

Salsa

Agreed. I tried the demo on the Wii U (first MH experience) and it was terrible. Clunky. Boring. Lifeless. Just plain bad.

I'm all for very little hand holding but the monster hunter genre (whatever it's called) is not geared for someone like me. I don't like the tiny chopped up areas or the MMO-like kill or fetch quests.

its kind of a it's own genre, really

and yeah there is some similarities to an MMO, difference being that instead of the boring-ass task of queing up actions, here you are directly reacting to the combat and thinking up strategies using up different items/weapons/buffs etc in real time.

i'd say your opinion is totally fair and understandable, but i'd also say that it's kinda unfair to judge Monster Hunter without charging into a huge-ass monster with 3 other players. You're just not gonna get that experience anywhere else, and sadly it is very hard to recreate when the game gets constantly released in platforms with shitty online implementations.

Dr Dogg

and yes the PSP versions caused the infamous "claw hand" because of the awful camera

PSP_Claw.jpg

You think that's bad you should see me trying to play Kid Icarus. MH was a cake walk compared to that. Don't know how much appeal it would have on the PC thought. Still could always test the waters with Dragons Dogma.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Is the alpha for Kinetic Void available now and the game is releasing in April, or is the alpha available in April? It has a confusing store page.

If so, this is the first time I've ever seen a preorder for an alpha (other than Kickstarter).

Gintoki

On the Vita you could use the right analog for the camera. I would never have played a monster hunter game if I had to play it the way its shown on that picture.

Salsa

On the Vita you could use the right analog for the camera. I would never have played a monster hunter if I had to play it the way its shown on that picture.

it was awful but the gameplay resonated with me to the point that I could handle it. Trii on Wii was a blessing though. Once you get going the game is addicting as hell. Probably the console release I want most on Steam next to Red Dead

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
There's normally an Easter sale, isn't there?

Sale starting next week?
Define "normally."

They've done it in the past, but there is much less data to go on like from the summer, winter, or even Halloween sales.

I think there will be, though.

angelfly

Just had a chance to go over that early access games that were added. 'Under the Ocean' seems like the most interesting one of the bunch. The crafting system in particular is pretty interesting.

angelfly

Grief.exe

Not in my opinion. Barely any meat to the game last time I played it. Just collect shit and craft it into a pretty limited number of things. Feels like a Facebook game tbh.

How long ago did you play it?

But yes there isn't too much meat too it, especially if you don't enjoy survival style terraria/minecraft games.

lol, what gaffer is responsible for this amazing review of Sonic Racing:

bought sonic racing and put that shit on and damn it's great flying by whizzing speeds and just living the high life and finding out that flying is the same as driving AND BOATING or swimming i guess but not really cause you're in metal

but anyways the game is like whoosh and the maps are like wha and the character are like yeah and i'm really digging the graphics it's like sega has really learned from 2012 and pushed into 2013 the year of the graphics and really expanded on the beauty of all that is good in whatever it is that we try and make you know and then you just sort of play and get lost in the moment and you realize it's an hour since you started and that just sort of happens you know and when that happens with a game for me at least you know it's a good game

so i think sega sonic all stars transformed racing is great

Salsa

I feel like I have all of GAF on my friends list but I always talk to the same 10 or so people

these "lets post my profile y'all can add me" things always result in a bunch of people I dont interact with and end up erasing when I need space D:

Bumhead

Banned
I feel like I have all of GAF on my friends list but I always talk to the same 10 or so people

these "lets post my profile y'all can add me" things always result in a bunch of people I dont interact with and end up erasing when I need space D:

Yeah I find that a fair bit as well.

I'm incredibly nosey though, love seeing what other people are playing, maybe to jump into the odd game if people are playing the same thing I am.

Salsa

Yeah I find that a fair bit as well.

I'm incredibly nosey though, love seeing what other people are playing, maybe to jump into the odd game if people are playing the same thing I am.

I go through community and rate up or comment on a bunch of stuff at least once a day. I really enjoy that aspect even if not much people get into it.

It's like facebook but good

JordanKZ

I tend to comment/like a fair amount on the community.

How long ago did you play it?

But yes there isn't too much meat too it, especially if you don't enjoy survival style terraria/minecraft games.
Not long, and I loved Minecraft but I think that had a lot more creativity to it in the make your own narrative. This game is focused like a laser in what you can do, I think.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So, what's the cheapest way to get me some Duke 3D?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/225140/
Duke 3D Megaton edition: $8.99 - All four campaigns + all the commercially published level packs (DC, Tropical Vacation, Winter) + Steam achievements and cloud saves + going to get co-op and multiplayer patched in. -- it's more expensive in UK ($9.50 USD) but less expensive in Russia ($7.50 USD) but not sure how regional gifting works there.

http://www.gog.com/gamecard/duke_nukem_3d_atomic_edition
Duke 3D Atomic Edition: $5.99 - All four campaigns

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Duke-Nukem-3D/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258410901
Duke 3D Atomic Edition: $9.99/800msp - All four campaigns + Xbox achievements and online multiplayer (no one is active) + actually has a demo

ftp://ftp.3drealms.com/share/3dduke13.zip
Duke 3D Shareware Episode: Free -- just the first episode

I think those are your basic options. You can also buy from 3d Realms but it offers no advantage versus GOG at all.

Isaccard

If you were scared/warned off the SteamGAF group chat before you guys should try visiting now. It's much less hostile than it used to be (if at all anymore) these days as some members have migrated else where or stopped joining entirely.

If you were scared/warned off the SteamGAF group chat before you guys should try visiting now. It's much less hostile than it used to be (if at all anymore) these days as some members have migrated else where or stopped joining entirely.
That's good, that chat used to be like 4chan's, except less funny.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Yeah, we need some fresh faces in the SteamGAF chat. It's been a bit on the dead side lately.

Grief.exe

Not long, and I loved Minecraft but I think that had a lot more creativity to it in the make your own narrative. This game is focused like a laser in what you can do, I think.

I meant how long ago, they add new content just about every 2 weeks, and its adding up.

Granted I just jumped in last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom