• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder how this early access stuff affects 'release discounts'. Seems like when most cames are released they have 10ish% off. Guess that would still happen, but it seems backwards with the whole 'you can get in early, but youll pay more to find bugs' idea.

Javaman

well it's just the same price they'll have on release I bet, so if you just want to get them early you can

some of them would be nice with some kind of discount though

I just don't see paying full price for an alpha game. Sure you can give some input but I'd rather play the full game not some half way done alpha version full of bugs and half done graphics. I really dug the Minecraft model. Cheap price to get in early.

ShaneB

Why are you guys saying "when these games are released" in reference to these early access games?? Like my rant earlier.. they are released!!
KuGsj.gif
You pay money, you play the games, they're released!

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Why are you guys saying "when these games are released" in reference to these early access games?? Like my rant earlier.. they are released!!
KuGsj.gif
You pay money, you play the games, they're released!

I've played a lot of games in beta over the years and they definitely weren't released. Alpha, even less so. Don't be obtuse; you know what people mean. =p

Steam said:
When will these games release?
Its up to the developer to determine when they are ready to 'release'. Some developers have a concrete deadline in mind, while others will get a better sense as the development of the game progresses.
If the release date is known, it will be listed on the store page for the game, in the upper-right corner under the game's branding image.

xelios

Indiefort Bundle 1 from Gamersgate. I hope we get Keys.

Damn, guess I missed that one. I got all the games in that huge Indiefort offering (~20 games) and then the 5 (?) bundles that got cheaper as you bought each one.

ShaneB

I've played a lot of games in beta over the years and they definitely weren't released. Alpha, even less so. Don't be obtuse; you know what people mean. =p

It's semantics, but yes, if I can pay for a game, and play it, that's released. It can be alpha, beta, whatever, but it's still released. It's not some closed beta, there's no NDA involved, you're paying to play a game, in whatever state. It's released. You can tell your customers whatever about the state of the game, but if you're taking money for them to play it, it's a released product :p

Salsa

Front Mission: Evolved is €3.24 on the Square Enix store right now as part of their sales. Steam redeemable.

Posting because ive barely seen it on sale. There's a bunch of other stuff in there but it mostly goes on sale regularly and for cheaper.

Twinduct

Prison Architect is so so so awesome. I don't know why I didn't buy this forever ago.

The bugs alone made the game worth it for me. During one of the alpha builds, the game bugged out during a 'riot' and a prisoner got stuck doing 'police' like work. Although I couldn't control him or give him orders, he would not go into jail cells but will patrol outside with the other cops ... ever now and again a cop would see him as a prisoner and knock him out dragging him back to a cell .. great times!

He would also stop fights between inmates during the lunch hour and he would get knocked out by the police heh.

xelios

The developer said he's going to make an announcement on Friday. It's relates to La Mulana on Steam.

Yeah and people who bought it in the December Build a Greenlight Bundle at Groupees should be getting a Steam key eventually.

Salsa

Yeah and people who bought it in the December Build a Greenlight Bundle at Groupees should be getting a Steam key eventually.

pretty sure I bought it there

with a bundle in wich you could choose like 3 other games from a bunch of others?

Sanjay

But they can. Valve could just stop providing external keys. We're talking about both physical and digital keys. This is their doomsday weapon, where they say "fuck it, we've got enough people on board and in our system."

It's unlikely to happen but you have no laws to prevent such a thing.

But there is!

Say Apple stopped selling their stuff through retail outlets and only sold them through Apple Store, there is laws to prevent this. Would that not be the same case for Steam now. As you are in a way being well mean to GreenManGaming and also:-

Wiki United Kingdom competition law:-
"banning abusive behaviour by a firm dominating a market, or anti-competitive practices that tend to lead to such a dominant position. Practices controlled in this way may include predatory pricing, tying, price gouging, refusal to deal and many others."

Front Mission: Evolved is €3.24 on the Square Enix store right now as part of their sales. Steam redeemable.

Posting because ive barely seen it on sale. There's a bunch of other stuff in there but it mostly goes on sale regularly and for cheaper.

Tempted to go for Hitman Absolution for £5, but I know I'm not going to play it for a while and it'll probably drop below that in 3 months.

Salsa

iMMhGipbCGb2l.PNG

worst part is that im probably getting Duke as well

I shouldnt be making these rush decisions, all those Steam leaks are gonna come bite me in the ass

xelios

Thanks to spin[doctor] for a random gift of Under the Ocean, something I was really interested in. Cool dude as usual.

Dr Dogg

Isn't it not a bit rubbish though? I thought 5 was when there series died but hardly any FM releases have been published in the west let alone Europe.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
But there is!

Say Apple stopped selling their stuff through retail outlets and only sold them through Apple Store, there is laws to prevent this. Would that not be the same case for Steam now. As you are in a way being well mean to GreenManGaming and also:-

Wiki United Kingdom competition law:-
"banning abusive behaviour by a firm dominating a market, or anti-competitive practices that tend to lead to such a dominant position. Practices controlled in this way may include predatory pricing, tying, price gouging, refusal to deal and many others."

So which website had the best value on an iTunes redeemable copy of Justin Timberlake's new album?

Salsa

Capcom should release Monster Hunter Trii Ultimate on Steam and watch the world explode

i'd say 4 but I think that's a 3DS exclusive

then again I dont know how much Nintendo has them tied up, but there was that one MH MMO on PC..

they keep trying to make the series click in the west and honestly I think the best place to do so would be something like Steam, where you have super easy integrated online play, dynamic pricing, etc etc

maybe they'll smarten up with all this current PC love

AkuMifune

Banned
Capcom should release Monster Hunter Trii Ultimate on Steam and watch the world explode

then again I dont know how much Nintendo has them tied up, but there was that one MH MMO on PC..

they keep trying to make the series click in the west and honestly I think the best place to do so would be something like Steam, where you have super easy integrated online play, dynamic pricing, etc etc

We'd have to find some way to mod the Gamecube keyboard controller with a frankenstick. Amazing.

Grief.exe

Wow I boot up my day 15 Don't Starve save

Die in the first 30 seconds because the new hat I'm wearing doesn't give as much protection as a football helmet and I was rusty with the combat.

At least I unlocked a new character, the one I unlock next has a huge handlebar mustache, can't wait to get him.

Capcom and Square's Japanese branches need to get their shit together.

A hardcore Action-RPG like Monster Hunter.
An open world action-RPG like Dragon's Dogma.
We are so starved for JRPGs we would jump at the opportunity for Kingdom Hearts HD or FFX HD.
Putting FFVII only on Square Enix store and loading it with DRM.

All of these would sell like hotcakes on Steam.

The whole Dark Souls/Namco situation cracks me up because they listened to the petition, gave From a very limited amount of money and time to get a port completed, just thinking it wouldn't be profitable.

And then it exploded, even with all the bad decisions they made. Now Dark Souls II is day one PC release, and Namco is releasing more of their library on Steam.

Go figure.

I am kind of ranting at this point, but these companies should just come on GAF, hire someone with a business degree, and just let them consult. Steam would literally print money for some of these games.

Isn't it not a bit rubbish though? I thought 5 was when there series died but hardly any FM releases have been published in the west let alone Europe.

It can be enjoyable for a bit, the single player is below average, the mech parts work, but have some parts where you get down the mechs and, ugh... The less I speak of those the better.

Multiplayer is essentially as dead as it gets BUT it you can find 4-6 competent people it can be quite fun. Else, you are in for a rough ride with a "matchmaking" system that'll do its best to put you against whatever high-leveled gear people still lurk, if they are even there that's it. There were some parts for the multiplayer portion that at least gave you a fighting chance but if you aim for SP only you can skip all the DLC.

But, like others said, it's a poor's man Armored Core that will make you wish FROM could publish AC on PC. In fact, FROM should do just that!

Salsa

A hardcore Action-RPG like Monster Hunter would sell like hotcakes on Steam.

I dont know about THAT since I wouldnt really call Monster Hunter an "Action RPG" per se, but I think it would certainly be a more succesful way to bring it to the west.

a lot of people would be confused or disappointed over the steep learning curve and no tutorialing. The most people who'd get it are probably people who already know what to expect.

it probably has the same appeal as a Dark Souls PC release did, and that made enough sense to Namco, so Capcom should be looking at that.

Grief.exe

I dont know about THAT since I wouldnt really call Monster Hunter an "Action RPG" per se, but I think it would certainly be a more succesful way to bring it to the west.

a lot of people would be confused or disappointed over the steep learning curve and no tutorialing. The most people who'd get it are probably people who already know what to expect.

it probably has the same appeal as a Dark Souls PC release did, and that made enough sense to Namco, so Capcom should be looking at that.

Steep learning curve and no tutorial?

That could be a descriptor of a lot of PC games

Don't Starve - Game literally just drops you in and says, 'you better find something to eat'
Legend of Grimrock
MOBAs (Though they are making progress with this)
Terraria
Minecraft
Day Z
Binding of Isaac
Dark Souls
Miasmata
Crusader Kings II (minimal)
X3
FTL
Stalker
Splinter Cell: CT

Salsa

Steep learning curve and no tutorial?

That could be a descriptor of a lot of PC games

Don't Starve
Legend of Grimrock
MOBAs (Though they are making progress with this)
Terraria
Minecraft
Day Z
Binding of Isaac
Dark Souls
Miasmata
Crusader Kings II (minimal)
X3
FTL
Stalker
Splinter Cell: CT

while that is kinda what I mean: none of those games even start to compare to what Monster Hunter is in terms of learning curve.

first time you play a Monster Hunter you probably need something like 10-12 hours to get the hang of it for real.

There's even a fan made begineer's guide to the game that is 50+ pages long.

it's the core reason why the west doesnt react to the game. Japanese peeps earn their gratification.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Giving 5 dollars to a homeless man to buy alcohol could potentially endanger his life. Whereas spending 5 dollars on Hitman only endangers your own life.

Your plan has been found out, Derrick. Or should I say, Mayor Giuliani!

Derrick01

Banned
Monster Hunter should also ship with an adrenaline needle so I can stay awake while playing it. I only played one of the PSP games but good lord it was boring. Tiny generic empty looking areas with a couple monsters each and all I did was swing some giant slow sword around a couple times.

The 1 analog stick didn't help things to be honest. I fought the controls almost the entire time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom