• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chronoja

Is this early access stuff going to preclude launch day discount?

As interested as I am in some of these games, their prices don't exactly feel "inviting" for getting access to essentially unfinished content. I know the spirit is all in helping the developers along with the development process, financially and with feedback etc. but let's face it, there are a lot of games fighting for the attention of my money lately.

Also, when do dev's decide that the game is "finished"? 1..2..3.. kick it surprises me on that list, it's been out for ages, I was under no impression that the game was currently being worked on? Surely if it was it would have been considered fully released by now.

It's a neat idea overall, but I still feel a bit burned by minecraft regarding alpha support. All the promise and hope I had for that game went out the window as time went on.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, my e-mail inbox is server-side and goes as far back as early 2011, so I have all the receipts and such. It's just that, now, three months into the year, it's far too much work to go through the list and note down the store.
Your ISP has probably had to buy a new HDD just to store all the receipt e-mails you've been receiving over the years.

Fake edit: wow, it's been 3 hours since I wrote this post. I went to eat and totally forgot to click Submit.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Prison Architect seems pretty cool but $30 seems significantly too high to me.

Yeah, that's where I'm at. It looks awesome but $30 is a lot for a game I don't know much about. I'm willing to spend that much on an indie title if it seems worth it - I just dropped $25 on Kentucky Route Zero - but right now I probably shouldn't spend more money on games when I have stuff like RE6 about to unlock and it's well outside my 'fuck it' price range.

I'll insta-buy at $20 or just suck it up and buy full price once I can make room for a new game.

Sanjay

But nexen didn't really say otherwise either, he was just extrapolating how such a policy shift would lead to a de facto monopoly.

Yeah and I was just letting him know of how there are UK Laws to control/prevent monopolies.

I mean you can't stop the sale of Steam keys from outside their digital storefront which nexen mentioned.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Yeah and I was just letting him know of how there are UK Laws to control/prevent monopolies.

I mean you can't stop the sale of Steam keys from outside their digital storefront which nexen mentioned.

But they can. Valve could just stop providing external keys. We're talking about both physical and digital keys. This is their doomsday weapon, where they say "fuck it, we've got enough people on board and in our system."

It's unlikely to happen but you have no laws to prevent such a thing.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
That being said, I REALLY want Prison Architect and it's probably only a matter of time until I get tired of staring at the Add to Cart button and just buy it already. I've been crying for a good prison sim for ages and it looks like they nailed it. It's probably a good thing I just had to cancel my mastercard...

kami_sama

Just finished playing through all the Blackwell Series. I loved it!

I played the first and second already, but I didn't finish the third one, and since I bought the fourth one in the Christmas sale, I decided to play all the games from the start.

Megasoum

Banned
KSP is live on steam now in the new area. The devs still haven't said anything about steam on the forums or twitter. Maybe they were not expecting it to come out so quickly lol.

I asked about the steam key on the official forums but I'm still a new user so a mod needs to approve my post lol.

FloatOn

Wow. These early access games look great.

Gear Up seems like Banjo Kazooie Nuts & Bolts + Twisted Metal

Under the Ocean seems like Little Big Planet + Terraria

Starforge seems like Halo + Minecraft

Color me interested in each of these.

MNC

they just sent emails out, saying you'd get them by the 26th March, so sounds like they're just starting with the offer and they'll be going out during this week

Ah, alright. Thought it said "at the latest", and I also thought I saw some people claiming they already had it. Was hoping to play through it a bit before Bioshock :/

I understand why they would want to keep these alpha games out of the new release section...

but I don't want to have to check two storefronts to see what's newly out.

I'm sure someone will figure something out.

Also definitely not buying Infinite now... that sixty dollars now belongs to Prison Architect and Kerbal.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
It's funny how Wario64 is the only one playing Duke Nukem Megaton right now because all of his pictures are plastered in the community hub http://steamcommunity.com/app/225140

lol

This has been me on several games no one would ever buy and play at release. If you get in there early usually your legacy will stay even after time passes. This is what I've decided to do instead of have children. Several of my screens are still up on Fly'n and other random games.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
lol

This has been me on several games no one would ever buy and play at release. If you get in there early usually your legacy will stay even after time passes. This is what I've decided to do instead of have children. Several of my screens are still up on Fly'n and other random games.

This is usually the case when I look up obscure puzzle games.

I understand why they would want to keep these alpha games out of the new release section...

but I don't want to have to check two storefronts to see what's newly out.

For sure. Honestly, I'm more likely to pay full price for an alpha or beta (granted there's a release date on a horizon) than a full release. Maybe it's not entirely rational but there's something very appealing about getting early access to something, but once it's actually out I can usually shrug it off and wait for a sale.

Dr Dogg

Not that I want to be a party pooper but the UK Competition Act only applies to companies actively trading and registered in the UK. Valve can do what they like as they may supply the UK but they don't actively trade here let alone registered at Companies House or with HMRC for VAT. Every receipt I have had from Valve for a Steam purchase in the last year or so has stated their Luxemburg office as where they trade from for Europe.

KingKong

yeah I've never heard of Kenshi but it looks cool.

I wonder if early access games will be part of steam sales

Rafy

Downloading the Under the Ocean Alpha, I'll let you know tomorrow how it goes.

There is no extra small print or anything when you purchase one of the alpha games. I was expecting an orange window or something with more legalese to further warn people.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Nah, I couldn't get that as barebones as I wanted. I play Doom with the sole improvement being resolution. Every other aspect is 100% unchanged. Yes, down to playing keyboard only. I can't stand mouse look in ancient games that are sprite-based. When you look up or down it's vomit-inducing. Doom and Duke are and should remain 100% playable without having to do that if the player us so inclined.
You, sir, are my hero. Long live A to jump, Z to crouch, Alt to strafe, Ctrl to shoot and DNKROZ+DNSTUFF to awesome.

Rafy

did they change the Hubs design again?

EDIT: Still no Duke in EU yet, I got the page (without price or add to cart), refreshed and it was gone...

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
There is no extra small print or anything when you purchase one of the alpha games. I was expecting an orange window or something with more legalese to further warn people.

I wonder what would happen if the game never gets completed due to the developer going under or something.

Salsa

When is it possible to sell the tf2 items?

they ussually allow to trade them a few days after they show up

also I feel stupid but im not sure wether i'll pick up Duke Nukem or Sonic Allastasjerashhj transformed

im just in a mood for a kart racer

Grief.exe

I only play scout and that seems like the only class that didn't get a Bioshock Item.

This is bullshit

They really couldn't have given him the shotgun?

Bioshock-infinite-shotgun-lg.jpg

Dr Dogg

also I feel stupid but im not sure wether i'll pick up Duke Nukem or Sonic Allastasjerashhj transformed

After having the stain that is F1 Race Stars fresh on the memory Sonic All Stars has been tempting me. Thankfully being skint this month is influencing my decision.

HoosTrax

What is a "Kerbal" supposed to be anyway? Before now, every time I've seen the title of that game, I read it as "Gerbil Space Program". Are "Kerbal"s those bug-eyed people that look like they're related to Ubi's Rabbid mascots?

Javaman

Is it just me or are these early access games priced WAY too high? I figured it would be priced more like indie games at least until release, not half the price of a full game.

Salsa

Is it just me or are these early access games priced WAY too high? I figured it would be priced more like indie games at least until release, not half the price of a full game.

well it's just the same price they'll have on release I bet, so if you just want to get them early you can

some of them would be nice with some kind of discount though

Grief.exe

I think its designed as a pre order that you can play.

Not like the Minecraft or Arma III model.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Um, so are the alpha games full priced or will they be higher at release? I'm thinking they should have a discount for alpha buyers, but it's not showing up as a usual discount. Starforge is looking like something I could really like. I'm not buying alpha games at full price, though, for various sound reasons.

I'm waiting on Gnomoria key from Indiegamestand; was Kenshi ever in a bundle or anything, or any of the others? Kenshi at least seems familiar.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
lol

Mine won't. I have them set up as "friends only". That's right: I don't want no filthy strangers gazing at my artworks.

they ussually allow to trade them a few days after they show up

Both games are solid choices, and I won't let my fanboyism get in the way of giving you a fair and balanced advice. So that's why I'll tell you this: if you don't choose Duke Nukem 3D I'll personally kill you with my own freezethrower. So no pressure ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom