• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

I go through community and rate up or comment on a bunch of stuff at least once a day. I really enjoy that aspect even if not much people get into it.

It's like facebook but good

Yep I do that autonomously. Like a bloody school kid swapping their sticker collection/trading cards in the playground.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
steamgaf chat hates me ;_;

no but honestly the reason im never there is because I hate the constant notifications on a group chat

Liiiies. We won't hate you.

And yeah, that can get a tiny bit annoying. There should be an option to turn off notifications for group chats. When I'm just idling in the group chat but having a conversation with a friend and I have to keep clicking the window to see which one got the new message...

GAMERG0D

If you were scared/warned off the SteamGAF group chat before you guys should try visiting now. It's much less hostile than it used to be (if at all anymore) these days as some members have migrated else where or stopped joining entirely.
I've thought about joining but I was hesitant due to being 'new' to GAF at the time.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/225140/
Duke 3D Megaton edition: $8.99 - All four campaigns + all the commercially published level packs (DC, Tropical Vacation, Winter) + Steam achievements and cloud saves + going to get co-op and multiplayer patched in. -- it's more expensive in UK ($9.50 USD) but less expensive in Russia ($7.50 USD) but not sure how regional gifting works there.

http://www.gog.com/gamecard/duke_nukem_3d_atomic_edition
Duke 3D Atomic Edition: $5.99 - All four campaigns

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Duke-Nukem-3D/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258410901
Duke 3D Atomic Edition: $9.99/800msp - All four campaigns + Xbox achievements and online multiplayer (no one is active) + actually has a demo

ftp://ftp.3drealms.com/share/3dduke13.zip
Duke 3D Shareware Episode: Free -- just the first episode

I think those are your basic options. You can also buy from 3d Realms but it offers no advantage versus GOG at all.

Many belated thanks, Stump. Really appreciated. I went for Megaton in the end and I absolutely love it.

Salsa

gaf steam chat is like gaf without the modding

one of the times I was there everyone was throwing kinda sexist slurs while linking to threads and stuff like that

I mean whatever it probably changed a lot and I know wich people were specifically doing that but all im saying is that it can get ugly

reason I "left" is because I occassionally went there offering to buy games for some people cheaper on my region and people took it like I was spamming or something and kinda ganged up on me, hah

this was like 2 years ago, I think

Kipp

I've thought about joining but I was hesitant due to being 'new' to GAF at the time.

I joined before I even got my forum account. Haha

gaf steam chat is like gaf without the modding

one of the times I was there everyone was throwing some kinda sexist slurs and stuff like that

I mean whatever it probably changed a lot and I know wich people were specifically doing that but all im saying is that it can get ugly

Ah, yeah. It hasn't been like that for quite a while now. I can't think of one person who's currently in the chat regularly who isn't a very pleasant person.

Dr Dogg

With all this Duke love happening today, along with the HL2-Doom mod thread thought I'd jump on some classic FPS and popped Doom II. Yeah it's still loads of fun and I've still got a handle on the controls and where stuff is even after close to 20 years. Then I come to realise there's no flipping jump key and can't get the flipping key in just the second level. I suck.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I really wish steam could manage a higher friend count than 300. I'm almost at the limit again yet I want to start being more in line with SteamGAF. That'd mean I'd have to start pruning from my other communities and a part of me hates having to do that. :(

Salsa

I really wish steam could manage a higher friend count than 300. I'm almost at the limit again yet I want to start being more in line with SteamGAF. That'd mean I'd have to start pruning from my other communities and a part of me hates having to do that. :(

yup

ive been at the friend limit for like a year now, and it's not even a "im so popular!" thing, it's just that there was a moment where i'd add everyone and now im too lazy (the process is also kind of a hassle) to delete them.

I always need to delete one or two people when I know someone's gonna add me, and because of this ive occassionally deleted some people I like because their Steam nickname is different than their GAF one :(

Dr Dogg

yup

ive been at the friend limit for like a year now, and it's not even a "im so popular!" thing, it's just that there was a moment where i'd add everyone and now im too lazy (the process is also kind of a hassle) to delete them.

I always need to delete one or two people when I know someone's gonna add me, and because of this ive occassionally deleted some people I like because their Steam nickname is different than their GAF one :(

Thankfully the Steam add nickname feature is there. Thought does bug out occasionally and doesn't display peoples names in the activity feed.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Give that money to a homeless person to buy booze with. It'll be a better choice with your money than buying Hitman Absolution.
There's nothing I like more than to read fellow Steam GAFfers posting about games they hate. They have such a delicacy with the language, a firm grasp of metaphors and a passion for brutally deep analogies.

Seriously guys, your anger and aversion is my joy and pleasure. I'm not even sarcastic, I really like how you do it. You say it in such a way that I can't help enjoying it even though I may not agree.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Still waiting for Duke Nukem 3d to pop but

Yesterdays purchase

IeeJo0f.jpg

and todays purchases

N44AZqE.png
Where can I buy a money printing machine like yours? Do you have a spare one?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Not in my opinion. Barely any meat to the game last time I played it. Just collect shit and craft it into a pretty limited number of things. Feels like a Facebook game tbh.
The game's called fucking Don't Starve, it's no surprise there's barely any meat, Sherlock!

I don't know the reason for the fascination with that game, either. Just like with FTL, it's one of those game whose concept and screenshots don't appeal to me at all.

Isaccard

The game's called fucking Don't Starve, it's no surprise there's barely any meat, Sherlock!

I don't know the reason for the fascination with that game, either. Just like with FTL, it's one of those game whose concept and screenshots don't appeal to me at all.

denzel_intro.jpg

Salsa

FTL is one of the best games of 2012, easily

people get scared off cause its a "sim", but the balance is perfect: easy to learn but hard to master. Super addictive.

Kipp

Oh of course there are free games right after I stop refreshing this thread.

I didn't really have any interest in FTL from the screenshots/videos/concept either, but I was gifted it... And I put 8 hours into it the first 2 days I had it. It's crazy good. It's something you kind of need to play to understand.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
FTL is one of the best games of 2012, easily

people get scared off cause its a "sim", but the balance is perfect: easy to learn but hard to master. Super addictive.
I'm still unsure about it, given my dislike for strategy games (although I liked AoE2 back in the day).

I may cave in for like 3 bucks, maybe...

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom

I think your ability to enjoy Don't Starve pretty much all depends on how much you like games like Minecraft and Terraria. While it has a few of it's own unique qualities (the grim fairy tale art and top down perspective in particular), like those games it's all about unscripted gameplay in a randomly generated environment. I'm loving Don't Starve because I love sandbox-y gameplay that allows me to create my own, unique experience. That, and I love inventory management and survival elements in games, the constant state of tension is like a high for me.

But at the same time, I can see how someone could be disinterested in the constant grind of gathering, crafting and trying not to starve. I think it's unfair to say it's as shallow as a Facebook game, there's plenty of depth in crafting and various cool shit to see, but it does lack the Lego appeal of Terraria or Minecraft since you can't build anything but basic, one story structures.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Oh of course there are free games right after I stop refreshing this thread.

I didn't really have any interest in FTL from the screenshots/videos/concept either, but I was gifted it... And I put 8 hours into it the first 2 days I had it. It's crazy good. It's something you kind of need to play to understand.
It's THAT good? Mmm... I loved Hotline Miami when every screenshot told me I wouldn't (thanks guys, you were totally right!), so it'd be only fair to give this game a chance too.

But only for $3, as I said before. I don't want to spend more on something I'm 97% sure I won't like (I really hope I'm wrong).

Salsa

I think your ability to enjoy Don't Starve pretty much all depends on how much you like games like Minecraft and Terraria. While it has a few of it's own unique qualities (the grim fairy tale art and top down perspective in particularly), like those games it's all about unscripted gameplay in a randomly generated environment. I'm loving Don't Starve because I love sandbox-y gameplay that allows me to create my own, unique experience. That, and I love inventory management and survival elements in games, the constant state of tension is like a high for me.

are you playing Cart Life yet?

that's like your ultimate test. Game dont mess around

Kipp

It's THAT good? Mmm... I loved Hotline Miami when every screenshot told me I wouldn't (thanks guys, you were totally right!), so it'd be only fair to give this game a chance too.

But only for $3, as I said before. I don't want to spend more on something I'm 97% sure I won't like (I really hope I'm wrong).

Oh, that reminds me, I'm currently playing through Hotline Miami. That game is nuts. It's probably got one of the most distinct moods of any game I've played. The graphics, story, gameplay, and music all mesh so perfectly.

But anyways, that's fair enough. That's the price point I was going to wait for as well, so I totally get that. Haha

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
are you playing Cart Life yet?

that's like your ultimate test. Game dont mess around

I haven't really dug into it yet, but it seems cool, even though I had no idea what I was doing. I spent the entire first day aimlessly wandering the streets.

FTL was my favorite game last year. It's the shit, I promise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom