• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

im forcing it through d3doverrider. The in-game option is borked and I dont like tearing brah

D'oh. I keep on meaning to toy around with d3doverrider. Especially with Dead Space 1 & 2. V-sync on, locked at 30 fps. V-sync off 140fps at and even stupidly higher. Seeing as Infinite is an UE3 game is it still locked at 72fps? Doesn't MSI Afterburner have a fps cap you could force? Might have to ditch Precision if that's the case.

Salsa

D'oh. I keep on meaning to toy around with d3doverrider. Especially with Dead Space 1 & 2. V-sync on, locked at 30 fps. V-sync off 140fps at and even stupidly higher. Seeing as Infinite is an UE3 game is it still locked at 72fps? Doesn't MSI Afterburner have a fps cap you could force? Might have to ditch Precision if that's the case.

the in-game "lock framerate" option (wich is actually v-sync) locks it as 30 for some and 60 for others (me), wich is weird

the way in that it's broken is that when it's ON and locked at 60, each time there's a drop in the framerate it goes to locked 30fps for a few seconds, instead of dropping 1 or 2 frames.

Chanser

Damn, I really wish I'd pre-ordered Bioshock Infinite now. Is Green Man Gamin the cheapest place currently (I'm in the UK)?

Also, I decided to fire TF2 to see what items I had. Is Bill's Hat really worth the £60+ it's on sale for currently in the market?

Edit: 'worth' isn't the best word, I mean are people actually paying that much?

No way in hell is a Bill's hat worth £60, it's worth around £10-15.

Dr Dogg

the in-game "lock framerate" option (wich is actually v-sync) locks it as 30 for some and 60 for others (me), wich is weird

the way in that it's broken is that when it's ON and locked at 60, each time there's a drop in the framerate it goes to locked 30fps for a few seconds, instead of dropping 1 or 2 frames.

Well that sounds silly. I wonder if nVidia adaptive V-sync would be a better solution. Granted that's a finicky beast. Still while I'm waiting for it to download I'm enduring the 360 version and if you don't like tearing Salsa you would be probably be tearing your eyes out at this. I have no idea what the texture budget for the sections are but damn are they low res.

Rafy

Is Steam suppose to get a update every month?

Well, even if it isn't, the client hasn't seen any significant improvements till recently(not that these were that significant), so they should have a new build released monthly IMO. Only good things could come out of it, but you can never know with Valve nowadays...

I am one of those Skyrim nuts! :D

130 hours and counting. With a substantial amount of mods, mind. I haven't really played anything else for the past few weeks months.

wilflare

Seems like they have been focusing on the client for the last 6 months or so, lets hope it continues.

The client was ignored for such a long time.

i'm liking the increasing number of updates...
even though it does not seem to make significant differences... just gives you the sense that something is happening (progress?) something new is coming

Salsa

I doubt there's an announcement, LOS will just pop up on Steam one of these days

I expect an announcement for Mortal Kombat tho

Caerith

i'm liking the increasing number of updates...
even though it does not seem to make significant differences... just gives you the sense that something is happening (progress?) something new is coming
They don't even need something new, it's just nice that they seem to be aware of how, well, clunky the client is and are working towards making it less so.

Dr Dogg

Isn't Lords of Shadow listed as something like "early access comp". Complimentary maybe? Might not get announced and just surface as a Lords of Shadow 2 pre-order reward. PES 2013 which was spotted in the registry way beforehand didn't even get an announcement it just popped up.

Grief.exe

A new port of RE4 should be a pre-order incentive for RE:R

A port of MGS HD collection should be a pre-order incentive for MGS5

that's how every game is listed, doesnt translate to anything substantial

I certainly hope it'd be free with a LOS2 pre-order tho

I think that would be the ultimate good-will move to welcome them back to PC gaming.

cwz2ogl.png

JaseC, Xelios: you know what must be done.

Dr Dogg

http://i.imgur.com/cwz2ogl.png[IMG]

JaseC, Xelios: you know what must be done.[/QUOTE]

Damn this is the new Train Simulator only though has a way cooler application. I wonder how much a mocap camera array costs? Probably makes the software seam like chump change.

random Bioshock complaint. Don't think it's spoilery, i'll edit if it is.

Anyone find the 'finish him' icon brutally small? I havn't even been able to see it when i'm in a firefight...just mashing melee and hoping for the best.

And no....no downsampling

Dr Dogg

Heh that's nothing, http://www.autodesk.com/products/autodesk-maya/buy/

What's strange to me is who would buy this kind of software via Steam?

Jesus! When did Maya get so expensive. Can remember toying around with that and 3DS Max demos a while back.

Yeah some of the software choices have been a bit strange to be added on Steam. Can understand why Valve want to go down the route they are but surely they'd be better creating a separate service labeled "from the creators of Steam" and not actually on it.

random Bioshock complaint. Don't think it's spoilery, i'll edit if it is.

Anyone find the 'finish him' icon brutally small? I havn't even been able to see it when i'm in a firefight...just mashing melee and hoping for the best.

And no....no downsampling

Huh. I've only seen 1 so far and that was the first one. Since then I've been Skyhook bashing peoples skulls, chests, necks and other appendages in to my hearts content but no prompts.

Actually on the subject of Infinite has anyone seen the Season Pass available anywhere else other than Steam? If so what's the damage? Might just suck it up now while I'm in a frivolous mood.

jediyoshi

Damn this is the new Train Simulator only though has a way cooler application. I wonder how much a mocap camera array costs? Probably makes the software seam like chump change.

ipisoft supports things like kinects and regular webcams. already a bunch of source related tech demos and sfm related projects have been made with it so it's not the craziest fit on steam other than price

http://ipisoft.com/gallery/

Dr Dogg

One of my mates just popped online and asked if I was enjoying BioShock Infinite and then said he's been playing it all day. I asked him what he thought and he said "It's like a 1920's version of a Transporter film but way more intellectual". Some people.

ipisoft supports things like kinects and regular webcams. already a bunch of source related tech demos and sfm related projects have been made with it so it's not the craziest fit on steam other than price

http://ipisoft.com/gallery/

Looks... interesting. I wonder if the average Steam user would be looking for anything along those lines. I would have thought if they were after mocap software they'd either have something in a professional sense or after something at a cheaper price point. But hey pigs may fly and to be fair I haven't the foggiest of ideas.

Anyone else not able to connect to Steam servers?

I have the same problem
"The account 'Leon_Belmont' has never been accessed on this machine before and a connection to steam servers cannot be made.
Some services will not be available. Steam will continue to attempt the connection and services will be available upon success."

Edit: Now I can connect!

bigace33

In the midst of the Bioshock Infinite hoopla, here is a Red Faction Guerrilla steam key.

EE3FI-00MFV-FGVI5

Lurker, member, whoever. Enjoy!

Rafy

I just wish the people at humble bundle would do me a Bday gift and drop the price of the weekly to 5 usd. DSII is all I want. I have the others from the THQ bundle...

FloatOn

Finishing bioshock 1 and 2 for the first time this month isn't helping my bioshock infinite hype at all. What did I do to myself? My birthday is this sunday so I kinda wanna splurge and join the rest of you in this opus but my steam backlog and sense of responsibility say "NO".

bigace33

I just wish the people at humble bundle would do me a Bday gift and drop the price of the weekly to 5 usd. DSII is all I want. I have the others from the THQ bundle...

That is all I wanted from the bundle as well or I would have surely given it to you or some other Gaffer. I'm sure everyone has it by now but here is a darksiders 1 steam key

YG6W0-RQVYD-X0LPE

Dr Dogg

Finishing bioshock 1 and 2 for the first time this month isn't helping my bioshock infinite hype at all. What did I do to myself? My birthday is this sunday so I kinda wanna splurge and join the rest of you in this opus but my steam backlog and sense of responsibility say "NO".

I know what you mean. I purposely left BioShock 2 alone seeing as I've only manage 2 hours of it and knew it was unrelated to Infinite and didn't want burn out. You'll be alright in a day or 2 if not getting wasted for your bday might kill off enough of your memory of the previous to reinvigorate your hype.

Mairu

Anyone know why the Bioshock TF2 items are still not tradable? I don't preorder games off steam often enough to know the usual protocol...

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Anyone know why the Bioshock TF2 items are still not tradable? I don't preorder games off steam often enough to know the usual protocol...

Have to wait for a tf2 patch, could be this week, could be next week, etc. Though, it will most likely be this week.

Could not get into Witcher 2 on the 360. Played for about 5 hours and just... blech. Maybe the combat wasn't clicking with me.

Better with kb/m or should I just skip it if I didn't care for it the first time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom