• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

Thanks for the impressions, sounds good. As somebody who really kind of hates the series though, I'll wait for the inevitable back lash in what, three days I suppose? Before deciding if it is different enough to jump in.

Well I'd say they're first 6-7 hour impressions. Though it would have to do something totally horrible for me to change my mind so far.

The gameplay. It felt terrible to me. I really liked the setting and atmosphere, but the dreadful shooting mechanics, the extremely short "mana" bar for the powers, the respawning enemies... Pretty much every interaction with the game, aside from the first 15 minutes, makes me not want to keep playing it. After 2 or 3 hours I just didn't care anymore about exploring Rapture and finding out more about the backstory, even though I was looking forward to it at first.

It may be because I was 5 years LTTP, but it felt like a mediocre game with nice graphics and a great atmosphere. Not something I want to play.

Ah. Well the gameplay, especially the gunplay, powers and combos with them are improved an awful lot and melee has taken a whole new dimension with the Skyhook you might still have a few gripes with it. Health and Salt (this titles version of Mana) are still not of the regenerating type so you do end up playing a hobo simulator where your looking in bins and boxes, even the guy you've just butchered for top ups but they are in such an abundance you got to be a right clot to run out.

It's a hard to say to someone if they didn't like BioShock to say "Yeah but it's changed now" and expect them to immediately like it. I think only you can decide if it does enough better to grip you. Though the world is much, much better to explore (you'd have to be pretty jaded not to enjoy the setting and characters) every aspect of the interactions feels like it's a lot smoother and polished.

In a way the game doesn't want you to hang around so encounters are fast paced, yet very tactical, the exploration isn't spending 30 mins searching everything as all the collectables, optional objectives and locked doors are in plain sight. I know some people want to explore ever tiny little facet of a game and are a bit perturbed that either the game or Elizabeth are pushing you onwards but it's incredibility hard to tell a great cohesive story while the game has to wait for the player to catch up. Some open world games do it well in chunks or with an over arching narrative with side stories to fill in the lulls but Infinite is planed out to a tee. Look at it this way can you imagine watching a film where just before or after every pivitol scene the film abruptly stopped and we saw the actors just standing around for 10 mins or watched them rummaged around the set. It would stop the film dead.

Tomodachi

that's a huge part of it. Bioshock aged badly
Well, to be fair that gameplay felt old even back in 2007.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Bioshock quite a bit, give me atmosphere over gameplay (unless it's downright terrible) anytime. Just wanted to point out that it aged badly because it already felt old when it came out :p

The skyhook adds 150% more fun and amusement (not to mention variety) to run-of-the-mill FPS fights.

Being able to zip up to an airship that's giving me trouble, then jump back down to ground level, only to play tag for the rest of the enemies via skyline? Maybe create an impromptu sniper nest, only to jump back on the skyline with an RPG when the big guns come out to play?

Not to mention Tears. I don't know how many times an Automaton or Mosquito Tear has saved my skin.

Dr Dogg

Not to mention Tears. I don't know how many times an Automaton or Mosquito Tear has saved my skin.

See I'm enjoying the combat already and I've only just got to the point where Elizabeth has showed them
(the lift scene where Songbird almost wrecked us)
so they are being teased and can't wait to have a play around. Sound like a way better version of turrets and sentry's.

Does anybody know any specifics about what's in the season pass other than a few bonus goodies at The Blue Ribbon and obviously 3 DLC packs?

See I'm enjoying the combat already and I've only just got to the point where Elizabeth has showed them
the lift scene where Songbird almost wrecked us
so they are being teased and can't wait to have a play around. Sound like a way better version of turrets and sentry's.

Grabbing on to a skyline and then opening up an offensive Tear as you zip to safety? Best in life.

Not even mentioning Offensive Tear + Possession Vigor combos.

1-D_FTW

buddy got me a copy for $23 and it seemed like the sweet spot

iXMxcezJ9QU5n.PNG

doubt it'll go more than 50 percent off before next week anyway

something to play after Infinite

Fixed for you. Cause, come on, this is an Eidos game we're talking about:)

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Bioshock 2 aged a shit ton better. You should play that
I'll give BS1 another chance, and if it doesn't hook me then I'll probably skip it. I don't like missing on the story, but I also don't like playing a game I'm not enjoying.

Ah. Well the gameplay, especially the gunplay, powers and combos with them are improved an awful lot and melee has taken a whole new dimension with the Skyhook you might still have a few gripes with it. Health and Salt (this titles version of Mana) are still not of the regenerating type so you do end up playing a hobo simulator where your looking in bins and boxes, even the guy you've just butchered for top ups but they are in such an abundance you got to be a right clot to run out.

It's a hard to say to someone if they didn't like BioShock to say "Yeah but it's changed now" and expect them to immediately like it. I think only you can decide if it does enough better to grip you. Though the world is much, much better to explore (you'd have to be pretty jaded not to enjoy the setting and characters) every aspect of the interactions feels like it's a lot smoother and polished.

In a way the game doesn't want you to hang around so encounters are fast paced, yet very tactical, the exploration isn't spending 30 mins searching everything as all the collectables, optional objectives and locked doors are in plain sight. I know some people want to explore ever tiny little facet of a game and are a bit perturbed that either the game or Elizabeth are pushing you onwards but it's incredibility hard to tell a great cohesive story while the game has to wait for the player to catch up. Some open world games do it well in chunks or with an over arching narrative with side stories to fill in the lulls but Infinite is planed out to a tee. Look at it this way can you imagine watching a film where just before or after every pivitol scene the film abruptly stopped and we saw the actors just standing around for 10 mins or watched them rummaged around the set. It would stop the film dead.
Guess I'll have to check this game if it's really that different. I don't like regenerating health, but I do when it comes to mana/magic power/salt.

I'll wait for a sale, as I'm not sure that I'll like it.

MNC

Bioshock Infinite is a completely unreal experience. The way the worlds are built and the way you interact with them... It's so... it's so unlike any other game I've played. Such a fresh experience. I can't wait to get home.

buddy got me a copy for $23 and it seemed like the sweet spot

iXMxcezJ9QU5n.PNG

doubt it'll go more than 50 percent off on the summer sale anyway

something to play after Infinite

Playing it at a friend's place this seems like a completely forgettable experience.

BosSin

Define sucks ass. It's got uPlay, but it runs just as far as I know. And I saw patchnotes that uses Steam Friends. It's no steamworks, unfortunately.

A lot of people were complaining about bad textures in certain places and poor framerate

ngt

So I bought Bioshock Infinite. As I only played Bioshock 1, is there any relation between 2 and Infinite? Anything at all, that could spoil my Bioshoick 2 playthrough later?

On a side note, is there any gaffer from Ukraine here? No, I'm not going to ask for cheap games :)

Nillansan

So I bought Bioshock Infinite. As I only played Bioshock 1, is there any relation between 2 and Infinite? Anything at all, that could spoil my Bioshoick 2 playthrough later?

There is nothing in Bioshock Infinite that will spoil a later playthrough of Bioshock 2 story-wise.

1-D_FTW

A lot of people were complaining about bad textures in certain places and poor framerate

More than poor framerate, people have had issue with frame latency spikes. So even if you get good framerates, there are points where it seems a lot lower than it really is.

Grief.exe

UE3 strikes again? Is it v-sync, microstutter or texture loading related do you reckon?

Its most likely texture loading, but no one has ruled out general microstutter either.

v-sync off or on, the issue is still there for people. I personally have adaptive forced through Inspector.

A patch could fix a lot of the minor problems I have with this game.

Fix the stuttering and add in a quick save option and it would be pretty solid.

The two weapon limit is also very frustrating, especially if you come up against certain types of encounters or the bullet sponges that exist later in the game.

If they don't patch in quick save, then fix the checkpoint system. They don't have them where you would expect them, and the gap between points is way too long.

Its most likely texture loading, but no one has ruled out general microstutter either.

v-sync off or on, the issue is still there for people. I personally have adaptive forced through Inspector.

The two weapon limit is also very frustrating, especially if you come up against certain types of encounters or the bullet sponges that exist later in the game.

If they don't patch in quick save, then fix the checkpoint system. They don't have them where you would expect them, and the gap between points is way too long.

Just found this out and find it pretty lame.

Playing the entire game at my own place Tomb Raider was actually a pretty damn fun time.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I think I'll finish Stranger's Wrath tomorrow later today. What a fun if odd game.

tumblr_mk9xml9Sma1qb6vb1o2_250.gif

I'd thought it was open-world given the bounty-hunting nature of the game, but the hub-based design doesn't bother me.

Edit: Oh, and Hard is bloody hard. But I'll persevere.

Lucid07

So Im upgrading to a SSD tomorrow and want to have steam on the SSD with a few select games and have the rest on a HDD is there anyway to go about this?

JaseC

So Im upgrading to a SSD tomorrow and want to have steam on the SSD with a few select games and have the rest on a HDD is there anyway to go about this?

Check the OP: Generally, Steam Tool/Mover is what you want, but the games that use GCF/NCF files in the root of the steamapps folder will require a more hands-on approach.

Edit: Kindasorta beaten.

Lucid07

FloatOn

im not one to overhype things but this game so far shits on both Bioshocks, hard.

fuck the backlog man, just play what you wanna play when you can afford it.

If I went with "cant buy new game till I finish other already bought" I wouldnt have played a new release since 2006 or something

Waiting isn't gonna make you miss out on much, just discussing it right now and all that. Also the game could use a tiny PC patch.

Im just saying dont doubt to grab it when you can. It's worth it.

I really don't want to get myself into a JaseC style mess though. The more I think about it the more I'm good with waiting. I need to upgrade my PC a bit to fully enjoy the splendor of Infinite anyway. Glad all of you are enjoying though.

JaseC

I really don't want to get myself into a JaseC style mess though. The more I think about it the more I'm good with waiting. I need to upgrade my PC a bit to fully enjoy the splendor of Infinite anyway. Glad all of you are enjoying though.

"Mess"? I think you mean, "Delightful hodgepodge."

Pretty much agree 100% with this. The framerate dips and stuttering are pretty annoying and I don't think it should be that taxing on my system.

The two gun limit doesn't annoy me as much as I thought it would. There's tons of guns and ammo lying around, I think they almost expect the player to jump around switching between them. I wouldn't say no if they allowed you to use more than two though.

Just bought Super Hexagon. Really enjoyed the browser version when I played it a few months ago, so hopefully this will be even more awesome.

Can anyone here recommend The Showdown Effect? I've been thinking about getting it, but not too sure if I want to drop 10 bucks on a game that I've heard is pretty buggy in it's current form

FloatOn

"Mess"? I think you mean, "Delightful hodgepodge."

Yeah, that. I bet it would even more delightful if you participated in the "three in march" or whatever comes next in april thread(s). Finishing steam games and deleting them of the ole' hdd feels so good.

I'm thinking the next 3 or 4 games I tackle next month are:

LA Noire
Transformers War for Cybertron
Jet Grind Radio

and either Fallout 3 or New Vegas. Which Fallout game is better to play first btw?

Dr Dogg

If those FM 2009 keys will register on Steam, I will buy one from you!

Oh god what have I done. I'm off until Tuesday (bank holiday bonaza!) but I'll pop in there for you (2009 was about £1 and 2010 was about £3) and give you a shout if they have keys present and Steam redeemable.

JaseC

Oh god what have I done. I'm off until Tuesday (bank holiday bonaza!) but I'll pop in there for you (2009 was about £1 and 2010 was about £3) and give you a shout if they have keys present and Steam redeemable.

Further proof that doggs > catts. ;)

Yeah, that. I bet it would even more delightful if you participated in the "three in march" or whatever comes next in april thread(s). Finishing steam games and deleting them of the ole' hdd feels so good.

I think I could endeavour to finish one, unless the candidates include games one has already begun (hello, Mark of the Ninja!).

JaseC
now owns 13 more games
+10
Tomb Raider: Aviatrix Skin | Tomb Raider: Agility Skill | Tomb Raider: Headshot Reticule | Tomb Raider: Animal Instinct | Tomb Raider: STG 58 Elite | Tomb Raider: M590 12ga | Tomb Raider: JAGD P22G | Tomb Raider: Hunter Skin | Tomb Raider: Pistol Silencer | Tomb Raider: Pistol Burst | Tomb Raider: Scavenger Scout | Tomb Raider: Scavenger Bandit | Tomb Raider: Fisherman
Rate up

for shame.

HoosTrax

Mount and Blade: Warband is a pretty amazingly engrossing sandbox game. I didn't realize it until the second time trying it though. First time, I played the tutorial for about two minutes before deciding it was the ugliest, jankiest RPG in recent memory. Glad I gave it another go several months after that.

Best way I can describe it is as a way more hand-ons approach to Total War (Medieval, specifically), where you take direct control over your commander, yet still have units at your command as well. Plus RPG elements, skills, gear, etc.

I hope Kenshi ends up being as good. And that the in-development M&B 2 refines some of the more janky aspects of the game.

Megasoum

Banned
For those who bought Kerbal Space Program on their website before it came out on steam, you can now go into your profile page on the KSP store to get your steam key!

Grief.exe

Pretty much agree 100% with this. The framerate dips and stuttering are pretty annoying and I don't think it should be that taxing on my system.

The two gun limit doesn't annoy me as much as I thought it would. There's tons of guns and ammo lying around, I think they almost expect the player to jump around switching between them. I wouldn't say no if they allowed you to use more than two though.

The bullet sponge enemies and the checkpoint system are really frustrating me right now.

I am fighting this boss late in the game and I exhausted the ammo on both of my guns and the boss is at 1/4 health and still spawning enemies.

Its pretty bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom