• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

FloatOn

I know what you mean. I purposely left BioShock 2 alone seeing as I've only manage 2 hours of it and knew it was unrelated to Infinite and didn't want burn out. You'll be alright in a day or 2 if not getting wasted for your bday might kill off enough of your memory of the previous to reinvigorate your hype.

I will drink myself into a coma! the hype is almost at critical mass. fuck.

...I'll get around to Infinite one of these years when my backlog isn't staring me down.

Exuro

Could not get into Witcher 2 on the 360. Played for about 5 hours and just... blech. Maybe the combat wasn't clicking with me.

Better with kb/m or should I just skip it if I didn't care for it the first time?
A difference in controls won't make you enjoy it more or less so I'd skip.

Salsa

Finishing bioshock 1 and 2 for the first time this month isn't helping my bioshock infinite hype at all. What did I do to myself? My birthday is this sunday so I kinda wanna splurge and join the rest of you in this opus but my steam backlog and sense of responsibility say "NO".

im not one to overhype things but this game so far shits on both Bioshocks, hard.

fuck the backlog man, just play what you wanna play when you can afford it.

If I went with "cant buy new game till I finish other already bought" I wouldnt have played a new release since 2006 or something

Waiting isn't gonna make you miss out on much, just discussing it right now and all that. Also the game could use a tiny PC patch.

Im just saying dont doubt to grab it when you can. It's worth it.

Rafy

That is all I wanted from the bundle as well or I would have surely given it to you or some other Gaffer. I'm sure everyone has it by now but here is a darksiders 1 steam key

YG6W0-RQVYD-X0LPE

Thanks man, just the thought is appreciated!

Wow, I wanted to join GAF forever because it was an amazing community and finally got approved about a month or two ago.In a few hours when I wake up I'll make a giveaway on steamgifts (in occasion of my Birthday) with one of my duplicates, so look for it on the steamgifts thread.I really feel like giving back.

im not one to overhype things but this game so far shits on both Bioshocks, hard.

If I went with "cant buy new game till I finish other already bought" I wouldnt have played a new release since 2006 or something

Waiting isn't gonna make you miss out on much, just discussing it right now and all that. Also the game could use a tiny PC patch.

hmm bioshock 1 was incredible so you better not be lying.

xJavonta

Banned

I got all my problems with Bioshock 1 fixed today and tried to play it a bit. I'm not really feeling it at all, but this gives me hope that I might like Infinite.

I am so confused by Bioshock Infinite.

I can't stop playing and yet I don't even think I really am that crazy about the game... but I can't stop playing. I am not use to this =/

Derrick01

Banned
I am so confused by Bioshock Infinite.

I can't stop playing and yet I don't even think I really am that crazy about the game... but I can't stop playing. I am not use to this =/

I want to hate it and like it at the same time.

I think I'm just frustrated that they're ruining the feel of this world and the exploration by forcing it to be a relatively linear shooter. I had more fun in the first hour before I even had a gun then most of the time since then.

Maybe one day the industry will figure out you don't need combat 90% of the time to make a game fun.

Salsa

I think I'm just frustrated that they're ruining the feel of this world and the exploration by forcing it to be a relatively linear shooter.

games can only be so expensive. This is already 200 million+ and one of the most expensive games of all time. If it was an open world game it would probably be crap and not even half as polished.

zkylon

zkylewd
games can only be so expensive. This is already 200 million+ and one of the most expensive games of all time. If it was an open world game it would probably be crap and not even half as polished.
I kinda wish they had gone something in between like bio 1/2 where you could at least explore as you progress rather than "THIS IS EXPLORING TIME!" into "THIS IS SHOOTY TIME!".

I'm not a big fan of bio infinite yet. I like some of the themes and the whole mystery ambiance.

Noticed this in my billing info just now

Flkd2LU.png

Looks kind of suspect. What should I do?

Salsa

I kinda wish they had gone something in between like bio 1/2 where you could at least explore as you progress rather than "THIS IS EXPLORING TIME!" into "THIS IS SHOOTY TIME!".

gets kinda like that later on

at least im at a certain area where I found two different paths

Salsa

buddy got me a copy for $23 and it seemed like the sweet spot

iXMxcezJ9QU5n.PNG

doubt it'll go more than 50 percent off on the summer sale anyway

something to play after Infinite

I'm not a big fan of bio infinite yet. I like some of the themes and the whole mystery ambiance.

Did Bioshock 2 had this exploring-"time"? I finished the Game a few months ago, but compared to Bioshock 1 there was almost no exploring involved. It was pretty linear and I remember I really liked exploring in Bioshock 1, but 2 did not really have this I think.

Dr Dogg

PRESS X TO PROTECT LARA

After all the wildlife and maniacs I butchered with Lara I think the island needed protecting from her!

Even if I didn't like the first one?

What didn't you like about the 1st? Asides from being a kiddies-first FPRPSG compared to System Shock 2 the silent protagonist really got on my nerves in BioShock (works for RPG's when you at least have text to show your interaction with other people). That and the research ugrhh flipping every game then had to had a camera mechanic used the same bloody way.

Infinite pretty much rights everyone's wrongs, whether that be the gunplay, tepid powers, environments, even my grief about not talky-talky lead (plus it's Troy Baker voicing Booker and so far he's on fire). Only way you'll not enjoy this game is if you go looking for something it's not.

zkylon

zkylewd
Once you spend some time on Hexagoner or Hexagonest, you will go back and wonder how you ever thought Hexagon was difficult.
yeah it's crazy how much better you get at it :)

gets kinda like that later on

at least im at a certain area where I found two different paths
cool.

I'm probably not playing it until there's a solution to the stuttering, it's just too annoying :/

Did Bioshock 2 had this exploring-"time"? I finished the Game a few months ago, but compared to Bioshock 1 there was almost no exploring involved. It was pretty linear and I remember I really liked exploring in Bioshock 1, but 2 did not really have this I think.
well, I just played minerva's den recently and it was totally like that: "need passkey to get through X, explore Y, Z and W and find it". can't vouch for the rest of bio 2 because I haven't played it in a while

Salsa

(plus it's Troy Baker voicing Booker and so far he's on fire).

He really is killing it

voice acting in general is really good. Some of Elizabeth's lines felt silly but that's mostly Levine's fault. Honestly it's stuff it would hardly caught my attention if the rest of the writing wasnt as good as it is.

"well I want a puppy but that doesnt mean im gonna get one!"

ken pls

Dr Dogg

He really is killing it

voice acting in general is really good. Some of Elizabeth's lines felt silly but that's mostly Levine's fault

ken pls

edit: I still think the writing is great btw

Hahahaha. Oh dear. Saying that the only review I've read so far is the one from The Guardian where the reviewer, Nick Cowen, mentions that in one of the prerelease events he went to that when he asked Ken a question about the themes of the series and how this applied to Infinite Ken replied "Nothing of this is an attempt to be cute". Well we'll see Mr Levine

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2013/mar/26/bioshock-infinite-video-game-review

It's spoiler free and Nick says "Just play it. It's really good trust me."

He really is killing it

voice acting in general is really good. Some of Elizabeth's lines felt silly but that's mostly Levine's fault. Honestly it's stuff it would hardly caught my attention if the rest of the writing wasnt as good as it is.

ken pls

I attributed that to Elizabeth's awkwardness from growing up in an angel-shaped tower. It caught me off-guard though.

He really is killing it

ken pls

"and there is naught you can do to stop me"

The delivery on that one murdered me. Otherwise I think her performance is fantastic.

Infinite pretty much rights everyone's wrongs, whether that be the gunplay, tepid powers, environments, even my grief about not talky-talky lead (plus it's Troy Baker voicing Booker and so far he's on fire). Only way you'll not enjoy this game is if you go looking for something it's not.

Thanks for the impressions, sounds good. As somebody who really kind of hates the series though, I'll wait for the inevitable back lash in what, three days I suppose? Before deciding if it is different enough to jump in.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
What didn't you like about the 1st? Asides from being a kiddies-first FPRPSG compared to System Shock 2 the silent protagonist really got on my nerves in BioShock (works for RPG's when you at least have text to show your interaction with other people). That and the research ugrhh flipping every game then had to had a camera mechanic used the same bloody way.

The gameplay. It felt terrible to me. I really liked the setting and atmosphere, but the dreadful shooting mechanics, the extremely short "mana" bar for the powers, the respawning enemies... Pretty much every interaction with the game, aside from the first 15 minutes, makes me not want to keep playing it. After 2 or 3 hours I just didn't care anymore about exploring Rapture and finding out more about the backstory, even though I was looking forward to it at first.

It may be because I was 5 years LTTP, but it felt like a mediocre game with nice graphics and a great atmosphere. Not something I want to play.

The gameplay. It felt terrible to me. I really liked the setting and atmosphere, but the dreadful shooting mechanics, the extremely short "mana" bar for the powers, the respawning enemies... Pretty much every interaction with the game, aside from the first 15 minutes, makes me not want to keep playing it. After 2 or 3 hours I just didn't care anymore about exploring Rapture and finding out more about the backstory, even though I was looking forward to it at first.

It may be because I was 5 years LTTP, but it felt like a mediocre game with nice graphics and a great atmosphere. Not something I want to play.

Sounds like we feel exactly the same way about it. I think you should take one for the team and let me know ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom