• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

JordanKZ

The stuttering in Infinite.

I fixed that by doing this:

Mitigate stuttering: Navigate to (My) Documents\my games\BioShock Infinite\XGame\Config and open XEngine.ini. Search the file for PoolSize and increase the value (640 would be a good starting point). (Credit to ambientmystic.) You can also try following the instructions in this post. (Credit to Mechazawa.) [Note that while disabling bUseBackgroundLevelStreaming in XEngine.ini also aids in reducing stuttering, it will break certain script events.]

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Just want to say "Thank you" to JaseC for helping me out :)

epichandshakejejoz.jpg

Ledsen

So JaseC and other Steam game count collectors have you ever adressed (in a non-joking way) the reason you spend so much money on keeping that number high? It's simultaneously fascinating and horrible, yet I can't look away. Like a beautiful car crash.

So JaseC and other Steam game count collectors have you ever adressed (in a non-joking way) the reason you spend so much money on keeping that number high? It's simultaneously fascinating and horrible, yet I can't look away. Like a beautiful car crash.

Ever ask the heroin addict on the corner why he continues to buy the heroin that will ultimately kill him?

Same thing.

Grief.exe

so yeah MGSV trailer was running on PC

my guess is that it's coming. No PC logo at the end tho

iHCRIKPb6Rk8B.gif

Basically all games run on PC when they are being developed.

I would assume this is getting a PC release, but I remain skeptical as always. Need more evidence before we can jump to a conclusion.

I think the release date and the level of fidelity would mean this is, at the very least, a cross-gen game. And they may be targeting a PC release as well.

I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Salsa

not really

but yeah, not saying this means anything when it comes to the game being available on PC

im guessing it's coming to PC because they're all about the FOX engine now and wanting to show it in it's best light

that + Konami is now on Steam

Grief.exe

not really

but yeah, not saying this means anything when it comes to the game being available on PC

im guessing it's coming to PC because they're all about the FOX engine now and wanting to show it in it's best light

What do you mean?

All of the tools exist on PC. They use those, then port to the specific consoles.

Most games are developed on PC. Some are not, but those examples are few and far between.

Megasoum

Banned
What do you mean?

All of the tools exist on PC. They use those, then port to the specific consoles.

Most games are developed on PC. Some are not, but those examples are few and far between.

Especially when we are at the end of a console generation and the new hardware is not yet available.

Grief.exe

Especially when we are at the end of a console generation and the new hardware is not yet available.

Well the devkits have been circulating for a while from what we have been hearing.

But next gen is going x86/x64, so all games will be developed on PC.

I know assets and such are always going to be made on standard PCs of some sort, but aren't dev kits running architecture closer to whatever the target platform is instead of, say, a Windows x86 PC?

For example, in the Kid Icarus Iwata Asks, Iwata and Sakurai talk about how the game started development so early that they didn't have dev kits and had to prototype on the PC for so long that all of the gameplay basics were fleshed out that way. Whereas when they prototyped Smash Brothers together as a two man team, they were deploying on the N64 kits that were already mature.

That's why I kept saying most.

But you will probably see a lot of exclusive games not running on PCs, especially with convoluted hardware like the PS3's.

Salsa

What do you mean?

what I mean is that even though all games can be running on a PC at any given point that's not representative on what the game looks like/runs on a console or dev kit. Not even saying they would look better or worse (but, worse) just that something like the PS4 handles memory in a different way to a PC, so you couldnt recreate that in the same way and make it run like this, unless you do a specific PC-suited version to show off this footage in this state.

so they either worked a bit more to make it this presentable on PC and they're just gonna throw that out the door, or they're making a PC version

cant really think of a game that was showed on PC but not released to anyway, now that I think about it

That's why I kept saying most.

but you said all!

that's why I objected

Grief.exe

what I mean is that even though all games can be running on a PC at any given point that's not representative on what the game looks like/runs on a console or dev kit. Not even saying they would look better or worse (but, worse) just that something like the PS4 handles memory in a different way to a PC, so you couldnt recreate that in the same way and make it run like this, unless you do a specific PC-suited version to show off this footage in this state.

so they either worked a bit more to make it this presentable on PC and they're just gonna throw that out the door, or they're making a PC version

cant really think of a game that was showed on PC but not released to anyway, now that I think about it

What you said here and what you quoted don't really match up.

not really

I do agree with you though, nothing is representative.

That is why they keep demoing these games on PC, and just not showing the console version at all.

You keep seeing this with MGS5, Watch Dogs, Bioshock Infinite and more.

Edit:

but you said all!

that's why I objected

I said, 'basically all' which would mean most.

Lets not bother arguing semantics though ;)

Salsa

What you said here and what you quoted don't really match up.

oh yeah, just saying that your comment there wasnt really relevant unless you were suggesting that games got to this state on PC in the midst of being developed for consoles. There was some specific work done on a PC version here

Grief.exe

oh yeah, just saying that your comment there wasnt really relevant unless you were suggesting that games got to this state on PC in the midst of being developed for consoles. There was some specific work done on a PC version here

It would be easy to argue that the visual fidelity would be for next gen consoles.

There just needs to be more evidence, I'm always skeptical until there is something absolute.

We have seen some things pointing towards a PC release, but nothing set in stone yet.

And I actually believe a PC release is coming btw.

derExperte

Is the cave worth the $7.50?

Barely.

Steam update: http://store.steampowered.com/news/10262/

A new Steam Client update has been released and will be automatically downloaded.

NOTE: if you use one of several popular anti-virus products, you may experience a compatibility issue where Steam continually tries to apply this update but is blocked without any error message. If so, please temporarily disable your anti-virus program's "real-time scanning" feature and restart Steam to finish applying the update. We are working to find a better solution for this incompatibility in future updates.

All platforms:
- Removed an error message that incorrectly blocked offline mode
- Improved handling of uploads for screenshots and saved games
- Improved anti-virus compatibility for future updates (will not take effect until the next update)
- Fixed a client crash when loading extremely large community profiles
- Fixed a UI issue that prevented users from entering very long cd-keys

Windows:
- Fixed in-game overlay compatibility with DX9-level hardware in DX10-based games
- Improved client startup time

edit: Indeed, I had to stop Norton before installing or the installer would just sit there for minutes, doing nothing.

What is this ad I got through Steam for Zeevex dollars? Hadnt heard any mention of this before and it seems like a weird thing for Steam to include in their advertising pop-up.

Also, all of you people in my Steam friends list that are playing Bioshock Infinite, I hate you all.

Salsa

i'd say The Cave is worth it at that price yeah

but im waiting on a 60fps patch to finish it myself (they talked about it)

I really cant stand 30, not even on that game

zkylon

zkylewd
so yeah MGSV trailer was running on PC

my guess is that it's coming. No PC logo at the end tho

iHCRIKPb6Rk8B.gif
holy fuck when did this happen?

also diamond dogs is like my favorite bowie cd, that's fucking awesome

fuck!

also my endorsement to mount & blade warband. it may not seem like much but it's amazing, the combat engine is really fun and with a couple mods you can do just about everything, from leading a band of thieves to conquer the world as a king to put the rightful heirs to a crown at the throne, etc. for me the jankyness and terrible graphics/sound kinda make it more charming but really it's worth a shot, it's fantastic.

Grief.exe

holy fuck when did this happen?

also diamond dogs is like my favorite bowie cd, that's fucking awesome

fuck!

also my endorsement to mount & blade warband. it may not seem like much but it's amazing, the combat engine is really fun and with a couple mods you can do just about everything, from leading a band of thieves to conquer the world as a king to put the rightful heirs to a crown at the throne, etc. for me the jankyness and terrible graphics/sound kinda make it more charming but really it's worth a shot, it's fantastic.

Ground Zereos was running on a PC as well.

"Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes demo was truly amazing, running on a PC at current-gen specs. Wow."

Source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/08/30/metal-gear-solid-ground-zeroes-unveiled

Most games are developed and ported from PCs down to consoles, so that isn't much of a surprise.

I do agree with Salsa though, I believe Konami's push towards Steam and the level of visual fidelity would point towards a PC release, or at the very least Cross-Gen.

All that is confirmed right now is Phantom Pain + Ground Zeroes is MGSV, and the game is coming to 360/PS3.

If MGS HD port ever comes to Steam, then we can pretty much confirm MGSV on PC.

what's wrong with 30?

30 FPS?

Just can't play games at that frame rate.

Joe Molotov

Basically the idea that someday, somehow, someway, for some reason, I might want to play that game, so may as well buy it now, "now" being the day it comes out or the day it goes on sale, depending on factors such as price, potential quality, and the real likelihood that you actually will play it (instead of just the vague possibility that you might play it in some nebulous future that most likely doesn't exist). With DLCs, it's the feeling that you're getting an incomplete game without the DLCs, so you need to buy the DLCs to complete the experience.

nexen

Basically the idea that someday, somehow, someway, for some reason, I might want to play that game, so may as well buy it now, "now" being the day it comes out or the day it goes on sale, depending on factors such as price, potential quality, and the real likelihood that you actually will play it (instead of just the vague possibility that you might play it in some nebulous future that most likely doesn't exist). With DLCs, it's the feeling that you're getting an incomplete game without the DLCs, so you need to buy the DLCs to complete the experience.

I'm not at JaseC or Xelios levels (I think, I have almost 600 games) but for me:

I continually overestimate the amount of free time I will have.

Also many games I'm happy to own just for 'reference'. Especially if they have something novel about them, or are noteworthy for historical reasons.

Salsa

Im thankful for people like Joe and Jase because if I ever end up making games they're probably gonna be kinda shitty, and I know that if I make it to Steam I already have 2 copies sold

JaseC is keeping the industry alive

zkylon

zkylewd
Im thankful for people like Joe and Jase because if I ever end up making games they're probably gonna be kinda shitty, and I know that if I make it to Steam I already have 2 copies sold

JaseC is keeping the industry alive
lol I had the same thought yesterday (just about saorise tho)

1-D_FTW

The other downside is that 3D doesn't really work at 30fps. It would be like 15fps in each eye.

You can still run those games at 60hz though (30 fps per eye). Problem is: 30 fps sucks much worse for stereo 3D than mono 3D (stereo 3D needs fluid motion to come alive). For some reason that's what I'm stuck at with Sonic Transformed. As a result, Sonic Racing 1 looks much better for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom