• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caerith

I've got plenty of friends I could give Dota 2 invites to; feel free to send them my way :p (my Steam id is the same as here).

Anyway, beat XCOM on easy last night. I do want to up the difficulty and try my luck with that, but I think I'll play some other backlog games before getting back to it. I'm thinking I'll give Recettear another shot. I also should try finishing Rochard soon :p
Recettear is pretty fun, I intend to go back and 100% it when I get my backlog under 50% again.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I played a few hours of Recettear and just stopped. I liked the store management, but the dungeons were boring.

Fun fact, you can beat the game without using the Dungeons, you just have to make use of the fads and other store events.

Fireblend

Banned
I played a few hours of Recettear and just stopped. I liked the store management, but the dungeons were boring.

After playing XCOM I found being able to just run around slashing every enemy and not having to worry about complex mechanics extremely refreshing and satisfactory :lol the cheery music/environment also helped.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
I'm having trouble with my steam install re: symbolic links and the new ability to install some titles on separate hard drives. Some Googling shows this isn't uncommon but I haven't found a simple solution so far.

Steam basically wants to install everything on my full SSD or thinks it's already installed there because of how my symlink is set up; Steam on the SSD, steamapps folder on the HDD sym linked to think it's on the SSD. I'm mostly hoping for an answer that doesn't involve me backing up everything, uninstalling steam, and re-installing it on the HDD and then hoping I can do the old 'install a game, pause the install, shut down steam, move the finished files over, tehn restart steam to finish the 'install'' trick. I've something similar with moving a game to different folder and editing the file path in the .afc file but it doesn't seem to have worked.

The downside right now is that I can't do fresh installs of anything that doesn't use Steam's new content structure since it thinks it's installing it to the C drive which is full.

Anyone have any magic bullet solutions or dealt with this themselves?

Nymerio

I'm having trouble with my steam install re: symbolic links and the new ability to install some titles on separate hard drives. Some Googling shows this isn't uncommon but I haven't found a simple solution so far.

Steam basically wants to install everything on my full SSD or thinks it's already installed there because of how my symlink is set up; Steam on the SSD, steamapps folder on the HDD sym linked to think it's on the SSD. I'm mostly hoping for an answer that doesn't involve me backing up everything, uninstalling steam, and re-installing it on the HDD and then hoping I can do the old 'install a game, pause the install, shut down steam, move the finished files over, tehn restart steam to finish the 'install'' trick. I've something similar with moving a game to different folder and editing the file path in the .afc file but it doesn't seem to have worked.

The downside right now is that I can't do fresh installs of anything that doesn't use Steam's new content structure since it thinks it's installing it to the C drive which is full.

Isn't this working as intended? It defaults to the steam installations steamapps directory, and aren't the games while they're being downloaded stored in a directory outside the steamapps directory? If you're willing to move your steam installation to the other hdd I think you can just move the steam folder over there.

Caerith

That's good to know. I assumed you couldn't beat the game without getting items in the dungeons. Now I can go back to the game knowing that I will enjoy it a lot more.
Nah, dungeons are just a source of free items to sell. I think you need to grind them to 100% the game but that's a pretty longterm goal anyway.

Basch

I'm probably going to get shot for saying this but Valve should just partner with Sony to produce the PS4. All games purchased through Steam can be downloaded and played through the PS4, etc. It'd be nice, because I love steam but far prefer console gaming. As much as I love the idea of Steambox, I'm going to hate buying 3 consoles next gen (PS4, 720, Steambox). I'd much rather have a consolidated form with no exclusives.

Caerith

I'm probably going to get shot for saying this but Valve should just partner with Sony to produce the PS4. All games purchased through Steam can be downloaded and played through the PS4, etc. It'd be nice, because I love steam but far prefer console gaming. As much as I love the idea of Steambox, I'm going to hate buying 3 consoles next gen (PS4, 720, Steambox). I'd much rather have a consolidated form with no exclusives.
Well there's no reason to buy both a PS and an XBox, so it just depends on whether you can get the exclusives on PC and you're golden.

1-D_FTW

The start of Windows 8 exclusive titles? Wonder how long that'll last.

As long as MS is willing to pay enough $$$$$ to exceed what they could have otherwise made on an open market. That's my guess anyways. I can't imagine anyone is doing this without a cash payment.

Basch

Well there's no reason to buy both a PS and an XBox, so it just depends on whether you can get the exclusives on PC and you're golden.

Well, I just meant it'd be nice to have a one console future, but I don't see Sony, Nintendo, or Microsoft budging on that one. Why does Uncharted have to be solely a PS title? Why does Halo have to be MS's? I'd much rather have them all under one umbrella. Hopefully, with Steambox we'll end up one step closer to that dream.

HoosTrax

As long as MS is willing to pay enough $$$$$ to exceed what they could have otherwise made on an open market. That's my guess anyways. I can't imagine anyone is doing this without a cash payment.
In the case of that Shogun game, they claim that they were not in fact paid any money by Microsoft to be W8 exclusive (although, they're probably not counting marketing deals as monetary benefit).

So they aren't sell-outs, merely stupid. Kind of like that indie company that made Warp, and did a deal with EA to integrate Origin into their singleplayer game.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
The dialogue (story) was awful and the shooting sucked, but you had fun? Confusing recommendation.
I had fun, yes. There were some (very) dull moments where you can't do anything but walk slowly and listen to some awful dialogue, but outside of that it's a fun game.

I'd recommend it, on the conditions that it's bought at a cheap price, and that the player knows they won't be playing a masterpiece.

I know right? They probably thought their 360 was RRODing. And no, I'm not sure what was causing those crashes over the weekend, but I didn't have any issues last night, so maybe it was just something limited to one area of the game.

I have a few more sections to play, then I'm moving on to Arkham City -- don't care about XBL gamerscore, so no motivation to grind out Live achievements. I don't think I've ever even seen my "GameCard", or whatever they call it.
Could it be a temperature problem? My PC had a lot of dust in the CPU cooler, which made it overheat and then freeze (or have slowdowns) whenever I tried playing something remotely demanding. Have you tried cleaning it?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The dialogue was pretty awesome in Binary Domain. Cain is top-tier.

Some people just can't handle the flavor I guess.

Oh and the story goes into straight up Asimov territory with some pretty deep questions about robotics. Much more interesting than deep commentary on dudebro games.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

Oh and the story goes into straight up Asimov territory with some pretty deep questions about robotics. Much more interesting than deep commentary on dudebro games.
I'd give you that Cain and Big Bo were great characters, and had some amusing lines, but the rest were mediocre at best. I don't give a damn about what Charles or Shindo have to say, and the only thing I can think of when they stop me in the middle of a level to chit-chat is how I'd like to unload my assault rifle in their face.

EDIT: Asimov, you say? Are you sure we played the same game? :p

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I can't wait to see how Microsoft sweeps this failure under the rug. Maybe they'll fold PC gaming into their Zune MusicXbox Music page next?

Fireblend

Banned

Yeah, I guess I know what they were going for with the extremely corny dialogue (I was literally cringing during a couple of scenes at the beginning - the one with the kids trying to rob their weapons, and the one where they meet the chinese girl), but I think the transition to "deep thinking" territory was pretty badly done. The plot twist was pretty idiotic and I really couldn't identify with the questions the game raised at the end and how the characters handled them.

I really wouldn't call it Asimov territory.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Why are you running Steam from the SSD if you're installing games to the HDD? That's the exact opposite of what you should be doing, which is running Steam from the HDD while installing new CDS games to the SSD as well as moving and symlinking the installation folders of any games on the old CDS so that they run from the SSD, as desired. What you could do to facilitate that as smoothly as possible is simply move your Steam directory to the HDD and then move your bespoke steamapps folder into it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I searched and didn't see this mentioned: Indie Royale's Summer Bundle now offers a Steam key for Journey Down.

Are you saying that Mass Effect 3 and Battlefield 3 didn't sell on PC?

I'm sure BF3 did well on Origin, although not nearly as well as it would have done on Steam. I'm quite sure ME3 sales were hurt by it being Origin exclusive. Even worse for 3rd party titles like Crysis 2 and Syndicate.

Huh, I checked the bundles I bought from indieroyale and it looks like they are all unused, this can't be right?
Did this happen anyone else or did they just hide the keys but they're still used?

Anyone up for an Omerta 2-pack (EU) ?

I'm selling Omerta for $20 with Paypal if you're interested.
Also, still have The Cave for $10 for those who want it.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Have you ever read any of Asimov's works on robotics? The themes in the game were very reminiscent of his work for me.

Lol I bet you guys got the shit ending.
Yep, I'm a big fan of his short stories. I didn't make the connection at all with the game, but now that I think about it, it has a slight air of similarity to his story Let's Get Together (robots undistinguishable from humans). And you could say that the main AI is comparable to Multivac.

But the writing is on a completely different level. Nothing ever comes close to Reason, The Bicentennial Man or Mirror Image, for example.

Was there more than one ending?

I bought Sanctum based on all the praise it got and played it for 2 hours before moving it to my "won't ever play again" category. The game is slow and boring. Orcs Must Die is the game I was expecting Sanctum to be.

Did you played it alone? With some people it is a lot of fun and challenging.

Grief.exe

If anyone needs a copy of DOTA 2, PM me. I'm going out for a little bit but when I get back I'll get you a copy.

Did you played it alone? With some people it is a lot of fun and challenging.

Oh it has co-op? I played it for about an hour and I was bored out of my mind, especially after playing Orcs Must Die.

If it has co-op could be more interesting.

1-D_FTW

In the case of that Shogun game, they claim that they were not in fact paid any money by Microsoft to be W8 exclusive (although, they're probably not counting marketing deals as monetary benefit).

So they aren't sell-outs, merely stupid. Kind of like that indie company that made Warp, and did a deal with EA to integrate Origin into their singleplayer game.

*facepalm*

I'm not sure which I find more puzzling. I guess the Shogun guys figured small fish, small pond would be better than small fish, large ocean. But Warp? I just assumed that EA funded that. Talk about shooting yourself in the head.

HoosTrax

So Trent Oster and Beamdog & co finally decided to put Baldur's Gate Enhanced on Steam...

I have not so fond memories of that game to be honest -- it's like a game you play solely to understand the backstory behind the much, much better Baldur's Gate 2 (and for the persistent save data from the first game to the sequel).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom