• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.
The past 5 games Microsoft has published have all been Steamworks.

Its weird to see this one pop up, but I have a feeling that was due to developer choice. They are, most likely, uninformed about the PC space. Especially since they omitted including GFWL on the page.
GFWL is useful for straight ports. This is a straight port. Twisted Pixel's involvement sounds minimal at best; the development was handled by Fire Hose and Panic Button Studios. The reason AoE II HD doesn't use GFWL, is because there is no point. It's not easier for them, like it is with Xbox games (where according to Sven of Capcom, 95% of system calls are the same). They didn't do it with AoE III and thus, it was to be expected that it wouldn't be the case with AoE II.

As for the other games: Mark of the Ninja, Deadlight, etc. That's developer choice, coupled with the fact they're single player only games. They could have used GFWL, but they decided to put in the effort to integrate Steamworks. The option is still there for any developers looking to port their games, so GFWL isn't dead, even if the output is very, very minimal.

I know a lot of you will be raising your hands to the sky and screaming "why" with that statement, but that's just how it is. If you want to deter them from doing this, don't buy GFWL games and don't make exceptions (Dark Souls anyone?). A lot of fuss was made about GFWL in Dark Souls and how people wouldn't buy it if they didn't change it to Steamworks...what happened? It sold through the roof. Does that say to From Software/Namco, "Oh, we shouldn't use GFWL, it causes lower sale figures!". Nope.

Grief.exe

GFWL is useful for straight ports. This is a straight port. Twisted Pixel's involvement sounds minimal at best; the development was handled by Fire Hose and Panic Button Studios. The reason AoE II HD doesn't use GFWL, is because there is no point. It's not easier for them, like it is with Xbox games (where according to Sven of Capcom, 95% of system calls are the same). They didn't do it with AoE III and thus, it was to be expected that it wouldn't be the case with AoE II.

As for the other games: Mark of the Ninja, Deadlight, etc. That's developer choice, coupled with the fact they're single player only games. They could have used GFWL, but they decided to put in the effort to integrate Steamworks. The option is still there for any developers looking to port their games, so GFWL isn't dead, even if the output is very, very minimal.

I know a lot of you will be raising your hands to the sky and screaming "why" with that statement, but that's just how it is. If you want to deter them from doing this, don't buy GFWL games and don't make exceptions (Dark Souls anyone?). A lot of fuss was made about GFWL in Dark Souls and how people wouldn't buy it if they didn't change it to Steamworks...what happened? It sold through the roof. Does that say to From Software/Namco, "Oh, we shouldn't use GFWL, it causes lower sale figures!". Nope.

At least we get the sequel, hopefully they will put a little more into the PC port this time.

Is there any reason on why I can't sell my bioshock tf2 items?

Running TF2 will update their status.

Those prices are pretty bad right now, I see the race to the bottom has started.

Just finished off World 1 of BIT.TRIP Runner 2....then proceeded to learn how to dance.

Now I want to go back and redo World 1 to get higher on the leaderboards, lol.

LOVE this game. If I could gift this game to everyone who doesn't have it yet, I would. One of the best purchases I've made on Steam and probably will be one of my top 10 games of 2013.

SA-X

Picked up Spectraball on a whim for five bucks. Anyone who likes ball rolling games should check it out, pretty awesome ball platforming level designs so far. It's an older game but damn I love these types of games.
Might've missed the post, but Monaco is out April 24.
Oh wow, thanks for this I've been waiting for this game. Hopefully it becomes this year's frozen synapse.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I shouldn't have watched that Suarez interview. She was much more interesting as a mysterious avatar girl.

GAF: The Movie:
Samuel L. Jackson ... Bish
Saoirse Suarez Ronan ... Mysterious Avatar Girl

Any hints on a client update?

I assume you mean stable client updates? You can keep an eye on the Steam Client Beta group to see which features and fixes are being thrust upon those brave enough to opt into the beta (actually, it's been smooth sailing for me for a long while now), but as for the when of it, it's hard to say.

Anodyne is weird. I've just beaten the third dungeon and I'm liking it, it's just that the atmosphere feels somewhat unsettling. The area near the second dungeon creeped me out a lot, with some weird big biped things that don't even attack you and suicide enemies.

I love that the dungeons aren't item-oriented. So far, I've only found two upgrades, while in a regular Zelda I'd probably own like 10 items now (I love Zelda, but this game doesn't feel linear, and there's like zero hand-holding).

I'm kind of expecting a SUPRIRSE PLOT TWIST because of some things the bosses say to the MC, and if it's what I'm thinking it's going to be lame. But it's pretty good overall, grab that Groupees bundle while you can!

P.S. : The speedrun achievement sucks, though. They always do :(

I think you're picking up exactly what the game's putting down. At least that's what I read about in the Edge review.

JaseC

I have to run TF2 again? And the prices are dropping? Should I wait? Will they go up again?

You shouldn't have to. My items weren't showing up earlier but I listed them a few minutes ago. It's hard to say whether or not the items will increase in value at a later date, but I'd think, with something pre-ordered as heavily as BioInf, the prices are more likely to plateau somewhere around their current values rather than increase notably.

JaseC

The only stable update I am waiting for is a faster client.

At the very least I'd like browsing speed to be improved. It's a tad ridiculous that buying something via Fire/Waterfox is quicker than using the client itself.

Varg

Banned
Just finished off World 1 of BIT.TRIP Runner 2....then proceeded to learn how to dance.

LOVE this game. If I could gift this game to everyone who doesn't have it yet, I would. One of the best purchases I've made on Steam and probably will be one of my top 10 games of 2013.

It truly is an excellent game and money well spent. Im on the final world myself.

Yeah this is what happened to me

After clearing Hexagonest I cleared Hyper Hexagon and Hyper Hexagoner surprisingly quickly

I'm not sure I can do Hyper Hexagonest though. Highest time so far is like 25 secs.
Left left double left is fucking me up at 15 seconds. I just lack the mental strength to do it right now.

Deques

At the very least I'd like browsing speed to be improved. It's a tad ridiculous that buying something via Fire/Waterfox is quicker than using the client itself.

That is what I mean. Take Desura for an example. The client is superfast. I don't have to wait five seconds for it to change pages. Also the redeem key page is super fast. I don't have to click next button two times and wait for the client to activate the key in like 10 seconds.

Blizzard

Banned
Black Mesa was apparently actually surprisingly polished and well done. It was quite well received too, if I recall correctly. If I ever got around to playing Half-life 1, I might play Black Mesa instead as well.

It would be nice if it came to Steam so it would be super easy to install, though.

Anodyne is weird. I've just beaten the third dungeon and I'm liking it, it's just that the atmosphere feels somewhat unsettling. The area near the second dungeon creeped me out a lot, with some weird big biped things that don't even attack you and suicide enemies.
I haven't played Anodyne yet either, but I believe I bought it recently during a sale. I think I actually read somewhere else that the game is intentionally somewhat creepy and unsettling, so your experience doesn't sound offbase.

JaseC

That is what I mean. Take Desura for an example. The client is superfast. I don't have to wait five seconds for it to change pages. Also the redeem key page is super fast. I don't have to click next button two times and wait for the client to activate the key in like 10 seconds.

Haha, the lag in activating the first CD key of an instance of Steam is the worst -- it's literally 15~20 seconds, although any activations thereafter are nice and quick.

Edit: And on a related note, I wish cache verification didn't lock out the rest of the client. That's the worst, especially if you're verifying a particularly large game.

Black Mesa was apparently actually surprisingly polished and well done. It was quite well received too, if I recall correctly. If I ever got around to playing Half-life 1, I might play Black Mesa instead as well.

It would be nice if it came to Steam so it would be super easy to install, though.

BMS was among the first games to be greenlit, so I assume the team is waiting until the mod is complete before submitting it.

Blizzard

Banned
Edit: And on a related note, I wish cache verification didn't lock out the rest of the client. That's the worst, especially if you're verifying a particularly large game.
The funniest part is, don't IM windows keep working? So you can literally see someone typing to you, and being like WHY DON'T YOU REPLY, BRO, and you can't even tell them that you're trapped in Steam file verification limbo.

JaseC

I can't decide what to pre-purchase with the ~$8 I'll make from the BioInf items: Eador: Masters of the Broken World has long interested me and although I can't be sure if I'll actually play it, it does come with Eador: Genesis (which, as yet, isn't available separately); Age 2 HD I'll actually play, but on the other hand it's only one game. Maybe I'll flip a coin.

The funniest part is, don't IM windows keep working? So you can literally see someone typing to you, and being like WHY DON'T YOU REPLY, BRO, and you can't even tell them that you're trapped in Steam file verification limbo.

Yeah, if you're having a conversation with someone and you verify, say, Max Payne 3, you're screwed, because it'll take at least 10-odd minutes and after it's done you'll have dozens of lines to scroll through. :p

drizzle

Axel Hertz

Yeah, if you're having a conversation with someone and you verify, say, Max Payne 3, you're screwed, because it'll take at least 10-odd minutes and after it's done you'll have dozens of lines to scroll through. :p

In those occasions, you go to the Web Chat and complain about Steam to your friend there.

It's what I do anyway.

Salsa

so I have like 3 achievements left in Sonic blabla Transformed and apparently they all involve "play X with 4 friends locally!"

the fuck SEGA I dont have 3 friends over to play videogames what am I 10

dani_dc

so I have like 3 achievements left in Sonic blabla Transformed and apparently they all involve "play X with 4 friends locally!"

Well, if you really want those acheivements you could just get 4 differnet input methods and get the acheivements by yourself!

I bet it would be easier than if you played the game with actual people.

Salsa

Well, if you really want those acheivements you could just get 4 differnet input methods and get the acheivements by yourself!

I bet it would be easier than if you played the game with actual people.

then i'd feel too sad simulating to have 4 friends

I lose either way sega you fucks

Dr Dogg

Well I planned to do that when I've either going to be looking after my niece or have some mates over. Then I realised I don't have anyway to get 4 control options going without splashing out. Stupid achievements :(

JaseC

Does anyone here use Tunnelbear to buy their games from other countries on team?

TunnelBear itself doesn't work with Steam, and if Valve catches on to you using a VPN to bypass local pricing, you'll find your account restricted.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
How does Sands of Time hold up nowadays? Loved that game on the OG Xbox, and want to replay it. Pad support and widescreen support any good?

Like shit. Terrible fucking game.

Pad support worked in-game and I believe I had no trouble with Widescreen.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

Wait till you play Flux ;)

Like shit. Terrible fucking game.

Pad support worked in-game and I believe I had no trouble with Widescreen.
Another time I may have wanted to assassinate whoever wrote something like this. But having replayed that game not long ago, I must admit it didn't feel the same as my first time back then. The combat is tedious and repetitive, you'll get piled on with no chance to recover, Farah screams like she was having an orgasm and the sound volume is so badly managed that you'll miss the dialogues half the time, specially if English is not your native language (barely audible voices + no subtitles).

The platforming is top tier, and the story is totally cool, so it's still worth experiencing. I just wish I had left that game to nostalgia, instead of playing it again...

Dr Dogg

Another time I may have wanted to assassinate whoever wrote something like this. But having replayed that game not long ago, I must admit it didn't feel the same as my first time back then. The combat is tedious and repetitive, you'll get piled on with no chance to recover, Farah screams like she was having an orgasm and the sound volume is so badly managed that you'll miss the dialogues half the time, specially if English is not your native language (barely audible voices + no subtitles).

The platforming is top tier, and the story is totally cool, so it's still worth experiencing. I just wish I had left that game to nostalgia, instead of playing it again...

Well the combat was always meh, even when it came out but didn't stop it being a cracking experience. Though even as a native English speaker you are right the audio is dreadful but that's a wider UbiSoft problem than just this title.

Beyond Good and Evil suffers the same problem and Two Thrones had some popping issues when I played it last that will drive headphone users nuts. Ubi even butchered the Capcom ports of Resi 4 and Onimusha 3.

It wasn't until Assassin's Creed did they start to take the PC seriously again and that game got pirated the shit out of so then we all had to suffer their draconian DRM policies. If people get up in arms about Origin and EA abandoning Steam I can't imagine what they'd be like with Ubi and UPlay. A client stuck in the '90's.

Acorn

I need some help, my client is a piece of shit that won't load any pages except from my library and the front page.

I've been trying to sell shit from my inventory for a couple of days now and I can never load it up, plus I can never get through the website either.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I need some help, my client is a piece of shit that won't load any pages except from my library and the front page.

I've been trying to sell shit from my inventory for a couple of days now and I can never load it up, plus I can never get through the website either.

Sounds like you probably just need to reformat Windows at this point.

1-D_FTW

glee-wtflooksyfk19.gif

You just got moved to that list Grief, sorry.

:lol

Good man. I think the original is MUCH better than the remake (which I finally got fed up with and quit). If anyone wants to know what the original was about, play the original. SO much better.

Tomodachi

Have you tried deleting every file inside of your steam folder except for steam.exe and the steamapps folder, then launching steam.exe? It should automatically redownload all files and make a brand new installation of the client without deleting the games installed.
I never tried this operation myself though, I just read it many times on the steam forums, suggested by actual mods, so it should be legit. Do a little search on google before risking losing everything though.

Acorn

Have you tried deleting every file inside of your steam folder except for steam.exe and the steamapps folder, then launching steam.exe? It should automatically redownload all files and make a brand new installation of the client without deleting the games installed.
I never tried this operation myself though, I just read it many times on the steam forums, suggested by actual mods, so it should be legit. Do a little search on google before risking losing everything though.

Trying that now.

Wanted to finish up GTA IV, having played Gay Tony recently, loaded up to find my saves gone. Turns out Episodes from Liberty City overwrites your save because Rockstar were too fucking lazy to put the saves in separate directories. Literally don't remember episodes telling me that it was overwriting saves :(

Suppose the choices in that game were pretty binary anyway.. but very disappointing. GFW claims another victim
Sounds like you probably just need to reformat Windows at this point.
Complete over reaction.

FWIW I've tried getting into Sands of Time a handful of times, having heard high praise. The combat and animation systems are interesting for their time but quite difficult for me. I'm playing it mostly for the platforming. Still suffers the same story telling problems every Ubi Montreal game has. It's one of those games I just mash the keyboard to skip cut scenes.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Well the combat was always meh, even when it came out but didn't stop it being a cracking experience. Though even as a native English speaker you are right the audio is dreadful but that's a wider UbiSoft problem than just this title.

Beyond Good and Evil suffers the same problem and Two Thrones had some popping issues when I played it last that will drive headphone users nuts. Ubi even butchered the Capcom ports of Resi 4 and Onimusha 3.

It wasn't until Assassin's Creed did they start to take the PC seriously again and that game got pirated the shit out of so then we all had to suffer their draconian DRM policies. If people get up in arms about Origin and EA abandoning Steam I can't imagine what they'd be like with Ubi and UPlay. A client stuck in the '90's.
It may be because it was the Spanish version, but I don't recall having audio problems back then. Maybe it's just a problem with the English voices?

And I don't remember the combat sections being that frustrating and boring either. They really drag the game down.

It is legit, I did that when I moved my games to my new HDD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom