• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.
My opinion from the admittedly little that I played was that it's janky but has interesting concepts. Graphics aren't amazing. If you don't mind some jank you might like it. I'd have to dig up the post I made with more detailed comments if you're curious.

That's the exact impression I got from the Idle Thumbs guys. Heavy on exploration with some intriguing mapping mechanics. I'd love to read your impressions if you manage to find your post!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'd like to get around to playing Miasmata eventually. It was one of the two games I was dead-set on purchasing during the Winter Sale.

I'd like to get around to playing Miasmata eventually. It was one of the two games I was dead-set on purchasing during the Winter Sale.

I wish it would go on sale again, I didn't manage to grab it for some reason.

Miasmata gives me the impression of being a Zen-like experience what with only the island and the creature thing going on, so I need to play it.

I remember seeing Stealth Bastard Deluxe + Soundtrack for $9.99 before it came daily deal, now it's Stealth Bastard Deluxe + Soundtrack for $12.99 ($6.49 50% off)

Tizoc

Come on GAF, sell me on this game. I like Stealth games and wouldn't mind getting this.
Link to a gameplay vid that showcases the gameplay.

If you really want to give it a try, there might still be the build from May 2010 somewhere on the Internet.

I had seen a build out there but had heard the dev had been changing quite a few things, wanted to go into it fresh. Video made
Good interview over at Gamasutra with the developer, well worth a look.
Great to hear him talk about puzzles and about how other games deal with puzzles in comparison to Antichamber.
http://gamasutra.com/view/news/1850...s_on_emotional_rollercoaster.php#.UPrlAM5FAy8

Deques

Do you happen to have a link to a video that showcases the gameplay? I can't seem to find a good video of the game on YT that's interested me in it so far.

What you find in youtube is probably what shows you the gameplay. You could download the free version and try it. I believe it's mostly same. I haven't played the free version so I don't know the differences. What I have read is that the free version is more of skills while the paid version is more of tactical and planning.

The video seems slowdowned, the game is not that slow. It's a bit faster than that

Anyone know how to get Dead Rising 2 to run?

I press play on Steam and it the "Preparing to launch" box comes up for a split-second and then goes. Nothing in my processes or anything.

Prezhulio

so with the impending THQ auction next week, i have a question/discussion:

what's going to happen to all THQ products for sale on the 22nd? i have most of THQ's catalogue on steam at this point, but there's a few holes (missing some dawn of war items, old red factions, you don't know jack and racing stuff), and i'm a little concerned with how things get divided up, that things may be off the store for some time.

i'm particularly concerned about the dawn of war stuff, because it seems like someone could bid for the warhammer 20k RTS licence, but not necessarily buy relic, and then what happens to these games? do they have to be re-cert by the would be buyer of warhammer 20k? do they go off sale at any point?

i know the general feeling is that COH2, south park, and (possibly) metro will not be delayed due to this, but will any of them be published under the THQ moniker?

what about extra steam keys floating out in the wild from various THQ sales at other outlets? i'd really like to think they wouldn't be instantly invalid, but i just don't know the logistics behind this.

i thought about making a new topic for this but i figured coming here would provide some answers.

I was close to dropping Far Cry 3 after reaching the island but I read that interview with the writer on RPS. Gotta be one of the most uncomfortable pieces of gaming journalism I have ever read. I actually want to finish the game now, even though the ending was spoiled, just to see how weird it is.

Can we please not talk about Far Cry 3 spoilers in this thread also? Have had to dodge them in 5 threads now, it's starting to get a bit annoying.

MRORANGE

Alright I gotta get rid of these DOTA2 invites, I'm gonna give Super Hexagon if you're willing to take all my DOTA2 invites and all future DOTA2 invites I get as well.

I'm serious.

send a PM.

i know the general feeling is that COH2, south park, and (possibly) metro will not be delayed due to this, but will any of them be published under the THQ moniker?

I was discussing this with Jasec a couple of weeks ago. I'm fairly sure that all the games you listed are going to be Steamworks enabled. Now what happens if EA ends up buying the COH franchise for example? Will it still remain a Steamworks game? Will it even be available on Steam at all after the sale goes through? We figured that at this point in development, Steamworks integration would probably be too deep to remove but EA being EA, you just never know.

LuffyZoro

The deal has been sealed.

l5nifFy.png

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
From the "stuff I had hoped to finish in time for the GOTY vote but didn't, but then I finished them today so I guess I did, but I already voted" file:

Hotline Miami
I think a lot of people here have written about the great sound/music, the hilarious visual presentation, and the over-the-top gore (including the excellent feedback for using weapons), so I won't say much more about those.

I wanted to mention two things that not enough people are saying:
1) This game controls incredibly well. The introduction teaches you every control you need to use to get through the game. I played with a KBM and I was very surprised at how in control I felt once I learned to use look-ahead and lock-on. Really, really smooth controls.

2) This is a puzzle game, not an action game. By far the bulk of the gameplay involves trying to figure out a good path through the level, rather than actually executing it. You will need twitch reflexes, but it's way more of a puzzle game than it is an action game. Reminded me a little bit of Hitman in that regard. I was very disappointed in a few levels where I ended up up using a gun on the first guy and having basically the whole level come after me, bottlenecking themselves in a door and having me kill them one by one. It's a much better game when you can creep from room to room and keep the carnage going that way.

I do have one criticism. I don't think the game's story or themes are really that interesting. I played through to the second credits, although I didn't get all the puzzle pieces. I didn't find the story that novel, I didn't find the psychological freak-outs all that interesting, I didn't really like the between-level story segments. It came off on the "obtuse" end of the indie spectrum rather than the intellectual for me. I know it's not me, or at least not me more broadly, because I have a pretty analytical mind for this sort of stuff and I generally give games the benefit of the doubt for exploring deeper themes in a hinted or circumspect way.

Still, very very fun and I look forward to going back and working on high scores. Game lasted me I think around 4:30.

QUBE
This is a game that I don't think gets enough credit here. It's short, shorter than Portal even, but it's really fun. A whole bunch of people here complained about the game's final puzzle, and I really can't see why. It's very iterative over the rest of the game, you have infinite time to do it.

The only mechanic that I think didn't work was the section where you played mostly in darkness. Basically I thought that was a very thin veneer for making simple puzzles needlessly complex. Every other mechanic worked well, though. I loved the way that different puzzle types (like the rolling ball + sloped floor) got reused later. I loved the light physics elements.

I would have liked to see more of a story or concept. The ending was nice, but I felt like it would have been nicer if there were anything in the game that led us to that point or, like, any reason I should care. In that respect, the game felt more like a pure arcade puzzle title, with no attempt to have any real characters or story.

I didn't find the game hard, but there were a few sections which required quite a bit of experimentation to figure out how stuff fit together. It was generally good at preparing you by introducing new concepts and ramping them up. Game lasted me a little over 3 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom