• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dingotech

Hotline Miami
I wanted to mention two things that not enough people are saying:
1) This game controls incredibly well. The introduction teaches you every control you need to use to get through the game. I played with a KBM and I was very surprised at how in control I felt once I learned to use look-ahead and lock-on. Really, really smooth controls.

2) This is a puzzle game, not an action game. By far the bulk of the gameplay involves trying to figure out a good path through the level, rather than actually executing it. You will need twitch reflexes, but it's way more of a puzzle game than it is an action game. Reminded me a little bit of Hitman in that regard. I was very disappointed in a few levels where I ended up up using a gun on the first guy and having basically the whole level come after me, bottlenecking themselves in a door and having me kill them one by one. It's a much better game when you can creep from room to room and keep the carnage going that way.

You needed to post this stuff when we were discussing it 5 pages ago! :p

Some people complaining that the controls weren't that good.... *SMH*
And as you said it explains all the controls within the first minute! And yet people were shocked when you point out the SHIFT look controls....

I wouldn't get too hung up about the story, I'm fairly sure the devs basically decided that the story was a joke. They are telling you that the gameplay is more important than the story, just read the text.

Kabouter

I should continue QUBE sometime, I'm just past that dark section I think. That really drags the game down, took away my desire to continue quickly, expecting more bad design choices like that. Glad to hear that's the extent of it.

PaulLFC

I remember reading a while ago that You Don't Know Jack was quite good, it's $3 on Amazon and is a Steam key.

It isn't sold in the UK on Steam though - I'm assuming it'll activate fine if I got a key from Amazon? Or would I have to activate through Spotflux or get someone from the US to gift it to me?

Addnan

I remember reading a while ago that You Don't Know Jack was quite good, it's $3 on Amazon and is a Steam key.

It isn't sold in the UK on Steam though - I'm assuming it'll activate fine if I got a key from Amazon? Or would I have to activate through Spotflux or get someone from the US to gift it to me?
It activates fine.

So Hotline Miami refuses to work, tried the fixes people posted on the steam forum and nothing works, nice to know I wasted my money

It isn't Hotline Miami's fault, you just need to get better at the game :p

Like me :) But I was complaining about the controls in combination with the collision detection which I thought was way too loose. This is especially highlighted on the "boss enemies" that take multiple hits.

Rufus

I didn't find the game hard, but there were a few sections which required quite a bit of experimentation to figure out how stuff fit together. It was generally good at preparing you by introducing new concepts and ramping them up. Game lasted me a little over 3 hours.
I still remember the magnet puzzles where you have to slide stuff around through a pane of glass. That was difficult mostly because of how wonky the movement of the blocks was. There's also one earlier where you can screw yourself over by moving block permanently out of alignment, which means you'll have to reset the level (which you can't actually do, you have to reload a checkpoint).

Why do people around here tell people to never use V-Sync?

I can't play games without it (besides online FPS for obvious reasons). It eliminates all tearing at a steady 60FPS and the input lag is hardly noticeable at all.

DTKT

Why do people around here tell people to never use V-Sync?

I can't play games without it (besides online FPS for obvious reasons). It eliminates all tearing at a steady 60FPS and the input lag is hardly noticeable at all.

Depends on the game, MW2 with V-sync was a floaty mess, same with BF3.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I still remember the magnet puzzles where you have to slide stuff around through a pane of glass. That was difficult mostly because of how wonky the movement of the blocks was. There's also one earlier where you can screw yourself over by moving block permanently out of alignment, which means you'll have to reset the level (which you can't actually do, you have to reload a checkpoint).

The reset buttons worked fine for me on every puzzle I needed to use them on.

I didn't find the magnet puzzles wonky; the only one that I think required a little fiddling was the 2 big block, 2 little block puzzle, and I basically solved that by knowing that the little blocks moved quicker than the big ones, and used that to my advantage.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I never used lock on in Hotline Miami lol.

Qube is blazin, called it back in the day. You should take me more seriously Stump! I dole out pearls of wisdom.

didamangi

Anyone here have the -20% discount from Gamersgate and interested in Sonic Transformed? The 4 pack comes to $16 each with the discount and I want in on it xD.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I was just looking at community contribution numbers on Steam. Anyone find any games with no contributions? Lowest I can find is Big Brain Wolf, which has one. That's so sad. Someone should post some screenshots of it.

I never used lock on in Hotline Miami lol.

Qube is blazin, called it back in the day. You should take me more seriously Stump! I dole out pearls of wisdom.

Hey, I listen, I just forget sometime between when I listen and the time it takes to clear out the other 8505 games to get to whatever I was listening about!

xJavonta

Banned
I dare you to justify this with a straight face.

Different strokes for different folks. I plan on buying one soon since I've spent enough time in Blops 2 mutliplayer that another $50 for new, refreshing environments to play in seem worth it.

A year ago, I would be entirely against buying a season pass for DLC. But if you legitimately enjoy the game $50 doesn't seem like a whole lot.

I can buy almost a brand new game with that amount.
True, but will you play the new game? lol

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Just promise you won't blame Activision or Treyarch when you realize the mistake.

And I love BLOPS2.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Blops 2 - 193 hours played (between my brother and I)

Worth 60 dollars for me I'd say. Got it for 45$ though. I'm not gonna bother with the DLC though because I hate the zombie shit they shove into each pack and the DLC maps usually don't get enough playtime.

xJavonta

Banned
Just promise you won't blame Activision or Treyarch when you realize the mistake.

And I love BLOPS2.

I don't see why I would, buyers remorse is something I don't get often.

And since I NEVER buy map packs (I really don't, I haven't actually ever purchased a map pack for a multiplayer game), it'll be different for me.

Grief.exe

You needed to post this stuff when we were discussing it 5 pages ago! :p

And as you said it explains all the controls within the first minute! And yet people were shocked when you point out the SHIFT look controls....

I wouldn't get too hung up about the story, I'm fairly sure the devs basically decided that the story was a joke. They are telling you that the gameplay is more important than the story, just read the text.

Maybe dropped on their heads a few too many times as children.

Blops 2 - 193 hours played

Worth 60 dollars for me I'd say. Got it for 45$ though. I'm not gonna bother with the DLC though because I hate the zombie shit they shove into each pack and the DLC maps usually don't get enough playtime.

Damn.

Do you play any other shooters? Or is cod your favorite?

I'm going to sleep so ill check back in the morning.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
You and I both know that you've been Lance Armstronging that shit.

I will sue the shit out of you if you say anymore Bus.

Do you play any other shooters? Or is cod your favorite?
It is by far the most entertaining shooter to play with 3-4 friends that is fresh. Put 200+ hours into MW2/3/Blops 1 with the same friends.

It's my most consistently played shooter, but I do dick around with Chivalry when the server browser works for me.

Grief.exe

I will sue the shit out of you if you say anymore Bus.

It is by far the most entertaining shooter to play with 3-4 friends that is fresh. Put 200+ hours into MW2/3/Blops 1 with the same friends.

It's my most consistently played shooter, but I do dick around with Chivalry when the server browser works for me.

Oh OK. I got ya. I was gonna ask if you played a skill-based shooter as well. I thought maybe you were into a lot of shooters.

Have you tried bf3? That's the game I have the most fun with a few friends because of the squad system.

And of course there is chivalry.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Oh OK. I got ya. I was gonna ask if you played a skill-based shooter as well. I thought maybe you were into a lot of shooters.

Have you tried bf3? That's the game I have the most fun with a few friends because of the squad system.

iInSUpEugezR1.gif

Blizzard

Banned
http://i.minus.com/iInSUpEugezR1.gif
Why the mockery? Have you played BF3, and if so what do you prefer in COD over BF3? I haven't played either. Does COD require a lot higher skill level compared to BF3?

I kinda liked BFBC2 and the squad-based system but I've played few games in either series, really.

Grief.exe

Why the mockery? Have you played BF3, and if so what do you prefer in COD over BF3? I haven't played either. Does COD require a lot higher skill level compared to BF3?

I meant it as two seperate things.

I saw the hour count and thought maybe he played more skill-based shooters as well and was going to ask some questions.

Then he replied that he preferred cod because of his friends. To which I suggested bf3 for the squad-based play.

Either way, I should have articulated my point more clearly.

Laugh all you want but its more skill based than COD.

It is in terms of tactics, but there are arguments for both.

Keeping it short here.

Suppression ruins competition play in bf3.

The low TTK at any point on the body and ADS make both games less reliant on aim.

Squads, rush mode, revives, classes, and conquest mode give far more tactics in BF3.

Suppression needs to change in BF4. It's not a bad concept but it also never occurs because someone was actually trying to suppress you. It happens when someone was trying to hit you and couldn't, and I don't see why they should be rewarded for missing. IMO suppression should only kick in if you actually get hit by at least one bullet.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I was just looking at community contribution numbers on Steam. Anyone find any games with no contributions? Lowest I can find is Big Brain Wolf, which has one. That's so sad. Someone should post some screenshots of it.

Games with two or less contributions, from my library (games with no contributions in bold):

- Amelia Earhart (2)
- Cosmic Osmo (2)
- Cossacks: Art of War (2)
- Europa Universalis: Rome - Vae Victis (1)
- Geneforge 2 (2)
- Geneforge 3 (2)
- Geneforge 4 (1)
- Happy Song Prototype (2) (Detail View mentions two contributions, but the game's hub doesn't exist.)
- Kohan: Ahriman's Gift (2)
- Nancy Drew: Curse of Blackwood Manor (0)
- Nancy Drew: Ghost Dogs of Moon Lake (1)
- RACE 07: Andy Priaulx Crowne Plaza Raceway (2)
- Sid Meier's Civilization IV: Colonization (Mac) (1)
- Sid Meier's Civilization IV: Warlords (Mac) (1)
- Spelunx (2)

Most of the Amnesia Fortnight games (Double Fine's prototypes), Weird Worlds and The Cave also have no contributions by virtue of them not having a Community Hub.

Edit: Bah, I didn't realise you stealth-edited your post.

Grief.exe

Suppression needs to change in BF4. It's not a bad concept but it also never occurs because someone was actually trying to suppress you. It happens when someone was trying to hit you and couldn't, and I don't see why they should be rewarded for missing. IMO suppression should only kick in if you actually get hit by at least one bullet.

Well and then you have "flinch" which is what is causing some of the problems in Halo 4 right now.

Suppression is a cool concept. If they miss you it should only affect your vision, but your aim should not be affected at all.

The spread on your bullets should be completely unaffected.

And it is arguable your way as well where it only goes in affect on hit. But it still shouldn't affect your aim, only your vision.

In case you don't know what we are talking about. Right now, when someone fires around you then you become suppressed. Your vision changes and your bullets exact your gun at a random trajectory within your crosshair.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Debating which of CoD and BF3 requires more skill is moot as within the pantheon of skill-based FPS games there's Counter-Strike, Quake, and everything else. :p

Grief.exe

Doesn't mean it's more fun.* I paid full price day 1 for BF3 and it's the only game that made me feel like I got robbed. I don't say that often.

*My opinion obviously.

Well no one brought that up, fun is subjective.

Debating which of CoD and BF3 requires more skill is moot as within the pantheon of skill-based FPS games there's Counter-Strike, Quake, and everything else. :p

I agree completely.

What brought this up initially was just confusion.

I saw stallions hours in cod and wondered if he played any skill-based fps as well since i had a question. I brought up bf3 as a completely separate suggestion, but the two got confused.

It happens.

I personally would rather have a discussion on suppression now.

Blizzard

Banned
I meant it as two seperate things.

I saw the hour count and thought maybe he played more skill-based shooters as well and was going to ask some questions.

Then he replied that he preferred cod because of his friends. To which I suggested bf3 for the squad-based play.
Yeah it makes sense to me if it was a question about squad-based instead of skill-based. Unless it's talking about some mechanical unlock system of "skills" that you can choose, but again I'm only familiar with BFBC2's unlocks.

It is in terms of tactics, but there are arguments for both.

Keeping it short here.

The low TTK at any point on the body and ADS make both games less reliant on aim.

Squads, rush mode, revives, classes, and conquest mode give far more tactics in BF3.
I only have vague familiarity with suppression. If I'm not mistaken, that's a mechanic that makes it difficult to see and/or shoot back if someone is shooting at you? *edit* Beaten badly by others while typing up the response.

I could see competitive play due to lack of suppression getting the edge in COD games then, with BF3 supporting more overall battlefields (har har) tactics. Thanks for the explanation!

Yes, it takes a lot of skill to deal with the severe amount of awful design decisions.
Would you mind sharing which design aspects you are referring to? (suppression as discussed above, or aesthetic, or otherwise?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom