• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

FloatOn

I really love the combat system in those games and I wish more games with swords/melee combat would use it as inspiration, but as a RPG I kind of want more from my games than what Souls games deliver. Those games are like big endless dungeon crawls with nothing else to do except fight things, and it gets a bit old for me pretty quickly. It fits its niche in the genre but I prefer the more traditional RPGs. Like if Witcher 3 had DS' combat it would probably be the greatest thing ever.

So basically you want more obvious story telling. Gotcha.

I'm don't think not having that makes a game average or forgettable though.

MRORANGE

There actually are PC ports of some of the AA cases though.
aapc.jpg

Too bad they are in Japanese :(

They could just port the iOS version to Steam though...

Turfster

I was just looking through the release notes. Damn. I really REALLY love that game but I put like 20 hours into already. I kinda just want to wait until the 1.0 is out before I dive back into it. It sounds so goddamn cool though. I'm in the same spot with Mercenary Kings. I played so much of that game last year and it seems stupid to go back to it before its done.

Yeah I'm waiting for 1.0 by now... Hell, I'm doing that for most of my early access stuff, which is kinda... counter-productive?

Derrick01

Banned
So basically you want more obvious story telling. Gotcha.

I'm don't think not having that makes a game average or forgettable though.

Any storytelling would be an improvement, but I was talking about other stuff. I like going to towns and partaking in non combat stuff, or solving quests through various non combat and hidden ways.

Dr Dogg

If they did some modders could fix the missing frames of animation and other peculiarities!

Urgh that reminds me, despite being a universal app it's still not full screen on an iPad. Crappy LG panel and image retention abound has stopped me playing AA for the time being. Surprised they haven't made their way to Steam yet.

vg260

This thread's been good to me and someone else will enjoy this more than I would:
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Dark Souls -- MB-0E47B37DD015CED3 - Taken by Turfster. 5 entrants total.

t1391221122z1.png

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I'm torn on Enslaved/Inversion. I played a couple of hours of Enslaved on PS3 when it came out and I really, really hated it. The game was just dreadfully boring. Platforming was just a chore, I feel like they shouldn't even bothered adding platforming elements to a game if it's going to complete itself entirely (Thanks, Assassin's Creed, really appreciate that brave new development you brought to gaming). Did the combat ever get decent? I'm almost willing to give it a second try for 2.50 but I imagine I'd even end up liking Inversion more.

Derrick01

Banned
I'm giving it a go, but a lot of people here are saying its repetitive and gets boring after a while

If you're trying to do everything it can take around 20 hours just to get out of the first region (of 5) and by that point you've seen and done everything there is to do in the game. After that you're just getting seemingly endless fetch quests and no challenge at all from any enemy in the game.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
The music would be possible to fix, but the missing animation frames would probably be impossible.

The ADV/Visual Novel subsection of fan translations is actually quite technically proficient. I mean we almost got an unofficial port of Chaos;Head Noah for the PC from the 360 version until JastUSA licensed Nitro+ content for the US.

Zafir

What did they change to make them garbage? (Haven't played the originals, but been interested in getting into them)

Edit: Lol, on actually reading what the screenshots say, yeah... That's rather bad.

Gvaz

Banned
AA5's translation is pretty garbage too. Scroll down to the screenshots on this Twitter feed: https://twitter.com/pitohui/media

Some of those are fine, others look more like typos, which for some reason is common in 3ds games :\ The overwhelming majority of them sound fine honestly though. I say this having played the game, I didn't even notice 99% of these typos. I guess my brain just filled in the blanks while speed reading.

In fact, one of my favorite Blackquill statements is this one right here:

Bd45LvJCEAAnt2c.jpg

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Some of those are fine, others look more like typos, which for some reason is common in 3ds games :\ The overwhelming majority of them sound fine honestly though. I say this having played the game, I didn't even notice 99% of these typos. I guess my brain just filled in the blanks while speed reading.

In fact, one of my favorite Blackquill statements is this one right here:

Bd45LvJCEAAnt2c.jpg

Yeah I didn't notice but I'm likely to miss them since my head fills in the blanks most of the time too.

Gvaz

Banned
Also AA5 had some bugs they never fixed, like the chat log the game has would suddenly just be blank after some conversations or whatever.

I enjoyed it. It's little Mass effect light and the follower AI will drive you nuts but I got every dollar of the $8 I paid for it.

seems like what the TB said on his WTF Is. Looks nice aesthetically, and i like some ME gameplay, so i guess i'll bite and buy the deal. Thanks for the input!

Turfster

2 minutes from finishing download, Steam client drops connection like a ton of bricks for all of Europe it seems... Well played, Valve.

DasFool

Down over here in LA, as well. Valve seems to have trouble with server maintenance quite often lately.

Edit: Came back up as soon as I posted this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom