• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

strafer

So when I download something it sometimes stops and when I check the download it says Disk busy, then after a while it starts again, why is that?

Ryne

South Park at 22 dollars is mighty tempting, but I'm afraid they will be region locked. I already pre-ordered the CE too :(

Where is South Park for $22?

Also, probably not the topic for this question but this thread is always so busy:

What are some good headphones for under $200? That's the budget but if I could keep it under $150 that would be even better. I've been looking at the Sennheiser 598's. Many seem to claim they're great for gaming and music. Others recommend the VMODA's for build quality. I'm torn

edit
Comfort is a HUGE deal for me.

Anteater

fuckers
burnt my house down
in mafia 2, killed the dude with a shot to the gas tank when he's trying to drive away tho!

Dr Dogg

So when I download something it sometimes stops and when I check the download it says Disk busy, then after a while it starts again, why is that?

Only time I've had the red disk busy light come on is when it's installing something whilst I'm downloading something else. No idea what other scenarios it might come on at. There was something in the recent patch notes for the non beta client that might tell you why (can't remember how long it's been in the beta version but a while).

The Tomb raider dlc collection is cheap. Worth buying it? Even if it's mostly multiplayer dlcs only

I wouldn't say so. Some of them unlock perks early in the game and can't be turned off (well you can delete and adjust the files calling to them). The only item worth getting is the Tomb Of The Lost Adventurer as it's a semi-proper tomb. The rest are various outfits and multiplayer stuff.

I've got the physical copy of South Park pre-ordered, since I'll be holding off on Titanfall. I'll probably just stick to that, unless GMG or someone else has a good deal for it.

strafer

Only time I've had the red disk busy light come on is when it's installing something whilst I'm downloading something else. No idea what other scenarios it might come on at. There was something in the recent patch notes for the non beta client that might tell you why (can't remember how long it's been in the beta version but a while).

Ah okay, thanks.

I almost hope the South Park game is glitchy just because I want to see the terrible ways 2D SP animations can bug out.

It's being developed by Obsidian. That's as close to a guarantee that it's going to be a glitchy mess as your're going to get!

(I kid, I kid, i'm actually super psyched for the game. But yeah, Obsidian and "clean, bug-free gaming" don't go together)

KarmaCow

It's being developed by Obsidian. That's as close to a guarantee that it's going to be a glitchy mess as your're going to get!

(I kid, I kid, i'm actually super psyched for the game. But yeah, Obsidian and "clean, bug-free gaming" don't go together)

Wasn't Dungeon Siege 3 pretty good in that regard?

mrgone

Speaking of Dungeon Siege, is there a reason why the expansion packs for 1 and 2 aren't on Steam? The collector in me wants them even though I own physical copies of them.

That's a good question. It might have something to do with the crazy mess of publishing turnover that series has been a part of. Microsoft published the first game, 2K published the second, and Square-Enix published the third. There was was that Uwe Boll movie in there somewhere too, but that probably doesn't matter. I just think it's funny. I'm kind of impressed that the first two games made it onto Steam at all, though.

Or it could just be Square-Enix having everything available to publish and not considering it worthwhile enough to bother with :(

Caerith

When a game ships broken and/or remains broken, you can thank the publisher.

South Park is regionfree somwhere for around $20 not sure where though the russian version is around $16 and is region locked indicated by a big red icon and warning text the region free version does not have this

kuh7.jpg

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?

I don't recall any bugs or glitches in my playthrough and can't actually think of anyone else reporting any either.

I want to say it wasn't really same kind of game as Kotor II or New Vegas, but that's not strictly true. It had plenty of occasions for scripting errors and quests not triggering right that never happened. I seem to recall...Urqhart? Being somewhat miffed about Obsidian's reputation for bugs, considering they mainly come from games they had to develop under unrealistically tight schedules with engines that weren't their own.

With Stick of Truth, I think it's possible we'll see unhurried development Obsidian and competent Ubisoft QA in action. But considering the title switched publishers mid-development and delays don't always equal quality and quashed bugs, we could also see hurried, publisher-went-kaput, oh-god-this-is-never-getting-funded Obsidian and AssCreed3/4 QA from Ubisoft.

Either way, neverpaymorethan20dollarsforacomputergame.jpg.

Cheddahz

Banned
South Park is regionfree somwhere for around $20 not sure where though the russian version is around $16 and is region locked indicated by a big red icon and warning text the region free version does not have this

I need to find out what region this is then....

Derrick01

Banned
The Resident Evil 4 community hub is amazing. Everytime I visit it I facepalm harder.

That was me when the Dead State community page went up.

"What's with all the zombie games"

"This should be a F2P facebook game"

"No Co op no buy"

The steam community does a good job disproving the myth that the PC crowd is better than the average console crowd.

KarmaCow said:

Yeah it was mostly bug free but it was also a very unambitious RPG going by Obsidian standards. If you want big RPGs like New Vegas you have to be prepared for bugs, it's impossible to get games like that completely clean.

However South Park also looks fairly unambitious from a gameplay view. It's basically paper mario, there shouldn't be many bugs.

Dr Dogg

Holy shit Binary Domain is incredible. I only started playing it for that rewards thing, but I'm hooked.

Rewards thing?

I enjoyed it, especially the morale system with your team mates. It did get a bit repetitive in places and some of the bosses are a bit bullet spongy but the cast and the story kept me playing to the end. Finally boss encounter ticked all right cheesy and cliched boxes for me (plays out a few different way depending on certain factors throughout the game).

Tenrius

The Resident Evil 4 community hub is amazing. Everytime I visit it I facepalm harder.

That made me curious and...

Is this actually true? They claim that this version is missing some effects and lighting from the GC/Wii versions. I thought the PS3 HD version and this one were based on the original GC version and not on the PS2 port, which did lack those features.

After a lot of Pinnacle tinkering, I've managed to make Blade Mode and Ninja Run in MGR toggle activated instead of having to hold down the button. Ninja Run is kind of glitchy, but it works. Thank god, because Platinum's love of multi-button commands makes the game a bitch to play for newbies like me.

Kind of tempted to add PPSSPP to Steam so I can mess with people's heads whenever I play the handful of PSP Gundam games I have.

Tizoc

After a lot of Pinnacle tinkering, I've managed to make Blade Mode and Ninja Run in MGR toggle activated instead of having to hold down the button. Ninja Run is kind of glitchy, but it works. Thank god, because Platinum's love of multi-button commands makes the game a bitch to play for newbies like me.

Kind of tempted to add PPSSPP to Steam so I can mess with people's heads whenever I play the handful of PSP Gundam games I have.

Wait you can make that emulator show what games you're playing on it on Steam? How do you do that if you don't mind me asking?

Deques

That made me curious and...

Is this actually true? They claim that this version is missing some effects and lighting from the GC/Wii versions. I thought the PS3 HD version and this one were based on the original GC version and not on the PS2 port, which did lack those features.

I might be stupid. I thought the Ultimate HD version looked better than the Wii version.

I pre-ordered it anyway

I wouldn't say so. Some of them unlock perks early in the game and can't be turned off (well you can delete and adjust the files calling to them). The only item worth getting is the Tomb Of The Lost Adventurer as it's a semi-proper tomb. The rest are various outfits and multiplayer stuff.

Hmm.. You helped me save a few euros :)

The steam community does a good job disproving the myth that the PC crowd is better than the average console crowd.

Well, if there was similar Xbox Live community hubs they would all be about how the south should have won the civil war, so I'd say the average steam user is still a bit better.

The-Bean

boo, steam crashed in the middle of killing a bunch of dudes, wish the checkpoints were closer in mafia 2.

Mafia 2 is one of those games I've came back to every 5 months or so (since release) for another playthrough. I don't know what it is about it but I enjoy every playthrough just as much as the last.

Hasney

Rewards thing?

I enjoyed it, especially the morale system with your team mates. It did get a bit repetitive in places and some of the bosses are a bit bullet spongy but the cast and the story kept me playing to the end. Finally boss encounter ticked all right cheesy and cliched boxes for me (plays out a few different way depending on certain factors throughout the game).

Http://playfire.com. Get GMG credit for achievements.

Terra_Ex

Steam's been giving me a lot of errors over the past few days, primarily relating to staying signed into friends and also giving me error messages when trying to trade with others (I don't have any trade bans in place that I am aware of.) I read that this can be related to cookies in the browser and/or client so I reinstalled steam and cleared my settings for my web browser. Steam, as it always has, believes my current machine to now be a "new device" (it's not, it's the same one I've always used) and has decided to completely prevent me from trading items for the next 7 days. I understand Steam has been self-destructing on a semi-regular basis recently, so that's probably the root cause of my original issue, but my question is, I also have 2 other devices that are authorised for Steam (prior to this incident), will those devices be allow to perform trading or is the 7 day trading restriction applied to the entire account?

Dr Dogg

Hmm.. You helped me save a few euros :)

I accidentally bought some of the unlock perks ones during g the winter sale and you get them at the first bonfire. Kind of ruined a bit of the balance so until I can be bother to file a support ticket to get them removed I've deleted the files and adjusted the dlc settings file. Right pain. Still at least I can play dress up with Lara in a new Tomb.

Http://playfire.com. Get GMG credit for achievements.

Completely forgot about this, cheers. The moment you mentioned BD I put it on and Big Bo's affectionate "A'ight" has drawn me in again. Damn it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom