• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

FloatOn

Why is everyone preordering that South Park game in the first place without even knowing whether the gameplay is fun at all? There's no reason to buy it day one.

It's paper mario in a south park skin. What can go wrong?

I'm not preordering it because march is all about dark souls 2 for me.

Tenrius

Looks like it's lacking the Depth of Field effect and some bump mapping : http://residentevilmodding.boards.n...evil-ultimate-hd-edition?page=7&scrollTo=2533

I think I read somewhere that they're dependent on GC hardware so it's hard to do them on other platforms than GC/Wii. If the DOF in game is as subtle as in the screenshot with the crowd I don't think it'll be a big loss though.

I think it actually looks better without the DOF lol. The specular highlights thing is pretty good though.

Turfster

Bully is 75% off on GMG.

The Legacy of Kain, Tomb Raider and Kane & Lynch series are now also discounted on the Squenix store for EU/UK... as is Startopia. Basically, pretty much everything older than a few years is discounted.

Derrick01

Banned
Why is everyone preordering that South Park game in the first place without even knowing whether the gameplay is fun at all? There's no reason to buy it day one.

It's an Obsidian game written by Matt and Trey, I doubt it'll be a bad game. At worst I expect something merely decent.

And that's what happens when a game never on sale goes on sale.

RaYx55I.jpg

Caerith

They'll probably ignore it, as usual...
(Also, we have no metric of how it's done on Origin. Maybe it's done really well there?)
Probably interpret it that their games need more pay2play elements and toothpaste DLC.

(Whether it's done well on Origin or not, what does it say that so many people were apparently waiting for it to be on sale on Steam despite it having been much cheaper on Origin? Besides some doublethink about how Steam devalues games.)

They'll probably ignore it, as usual...
(Also, we have no metric of how it's done on Origin. Maybe it's done really well there?)

Someone might think in EA, and realize how much money is ready to be made just releasing Mass Effect 3 and the Dragon Age series at least.

I don't know who are the owners of EA but that's clearly a mistake of their executives.

Someone might think in EA, and realize how much money is ready to be made just releasing Mass Effect 3 and the Dragon Age series at least.

I don't know who are the owners of EA but that's clearly a mistake of their executives.

EA are a publicly listed company I believe so are answerable to their shareholders.

FloatOn

Retro City Rampage is the perfect example of the right game coming out at the wrong time.

If this game came out around the time of Grand Theft Auto 1 it could have had Duke Nukem 3d levels of respected parody. As it is now, I'm growing to hate this game by the minute.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Last year there were almost twice as many featured EA deals on Steam compared to 2012. Sooner or later the penny is going to drop.

Ryne

Bought Bully
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Rome Total War -- MB-6EC38CB0D15F6B8B - Taken by Diedac. 25 entrants total.

t1391284887z1.png

Last year there were almost twice as many featured EA deals on Steam compared to 2012. Sooner or later the penny is going to drop.

I know. I bought Sim City 4 even though I knew I could get it cheaper in origin. An if the steam boxes reach a minimum success, will EA be able to afford not having their popular series like FIFA in them? Doesn't make any sense, at least from an business perspective.

I thought people in this thread were being a little hyperbolic with their hatred of uplay, but holy shit is it terrible. I'm trying to play through Blacklist right now, and the game has to download and install a different ~500mb patch every time I try to start a game. This could have easily been avoided if uplay would just let you download the most current version of the game like Steam and even Origin. But, hey, at least this way I can get UPlay points.

Zafir

I thought people in this thread were being a little hyperbolic with their hatred of uplay, but holy shit is it terrible. I'm trying to play through Blacklist right now, and the game has to download and install a different ~500mb patch every time I try to start a game. This could have easily been avoided if uplay would just let you download the most current version of the game like Steam and even Origin. But, hey, at least this way I can get UPlay points.
Tip: Download from the url instead of through the patcher. I believe the url is inside the text bit of the patcher.

JaseC

Funnily enough, Steam versions of Uplay games are kept up to date, as Ubi's own Far Cry 3 patching guide so succinctly makes clear:

1FsXPE1.png

It'd be hilarious if it weren't so sad. :p

kulapik

I was checking HLTB today and I saw there's a lot of games that don't have any information, so I thought that jshackles could add a feature on ES so it fetches the played time of the Steam reviews, so at least can now an average playtime. It would only be from the 50 most helpful posts, as well as the actual score is.

Caerith

I know. I bought Sim City 4 even though I knew I could get it cheaper in origin. An if the steam boxes reach a minimum success, will EA be able to afford not having their popular series like FIFA in them? Doesn't make any sense, at least from an business perspective.

EA's invested a lot into Origin, and the only way that investment will pay off is if they keep games off of Steam. Besides, if a game is popular enough, people will buy it even if it isn't on Steam; games determine the success of a platform, not the other way around.

... so what really doesn't make any sense is why EA seems hellbent on destroying all their franchises.

mannerbot

I was checking HLTB today and I saw there's a lot of games that don't have any information, so I thought that jshackles could add a feature on ES so it fetches the played time of the Steam reviews, so at least can now an average playtime. It would only be from the 50 most helpful posts, as well as the actual score is.

http://steamcommunity.com//id/grasshole/recommended/34900/

Bad Rats best value for your money, very long game!

Grief.exe

I think it actually looks better without the DOF lol. The specular highlights thing is pretty good though.

The DOF is just a blur filter. Someone will probably get ENB running nicely.

The Origin hate is hyperbolic, the Uplay hate is justified.

HoosTrax

EA's invested a lot into Origin, and the only way that investment will pay off is if they keep games off of Steam. Besides, if a game is popular enough, people will buy it even if it isn't on Steam; games determine the success of a platform, not the other way around.
Not really seeing this to be honest.

They make more money if people buy directly from Origin store. If people buy an Origin game off Amazon or where ever, how are they making any more money than if the game was bought off Steam. The retailer, regardless of whether it's Steam, Amazon, GMG, or Gamersgate will take their cut.

How many people do you think actually buy direct off Origin.com?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

... so what really doesn't make any sense is why EA seems hellbent on destroying all their franchises.

I'm not really seeing the "investment" when I use Origin. The rate that features have been added or maintained is downright glacial.

Let's call it like it is: they slapped a new name on EADM and spiffed up the client a bit. And then stopped giving a shit about it all together.

JaseC

Evidently EA's petulance isn't paying off, though, or there wouldn't have been such a massive upswing in the amount of EA-featured deals last year (and this excludes EA Partners games). I don't expect EA to abandon Origin entirely but I don't doubt that it's looking at Ubi's Uplay integration and taking copious notes.

As for EA's own investment into Origin, well:

You're thinking of Uplay. As for Origin, well, this was EA's roadmap when the service launched EADM was rebranded as such:

originroadmapv4sre.jpg

I've taken the liberty of crossing out what EA has yet to actually release(1)(2)(3):

originroadmap2xbsxk.jpg

(1) While some of EA's mobile games requrie an Origin log-in, there's no actual Origin mobile app.
(2) Achievements finally went live last May, but there is no reward system.
(3) While you can link your Facebook account to your Origin account, there are no social benefits tied to this.

Edit: To put the above time frames into perspective, EA's Q4 FY2012 ended in May 2012 -- we're approaching two years since that date and the vast majority of its planned features since Origin "launched" in mid-2011 have yet to materialise.

Derrick01

Banned
I'm not really seeing the "investment" when I use Origin. The rate that features have been added or maintained is downright glacial.

Let's call it like it is: they slapped a new name on EADM and spiffed up the client a bit. And then stopped giving a shit about it all together.

I wish more people realized this. There's too many people even on this board that think Origin is "new" and started in 2011 or whenever they launched it. It's nothing more than a goddamn name change and a really basic client. They still don't have every feature Steam had when Origin launched and we're going on 3 years later.

Cheddahz

Banned
The community hub for South Park is...interesting

"this game looks like its worth $5"
"theres no multiplayer, this game is a rip off"

Caerith

Not really seeing this to be honest.

They make more money if people buy directly from Origin store. If people buy an Origin game off Amazon or where ever, how are they making any more money than if the game was bought off Steam. The retailer, regardless of whether it's Steam, Amazon, GMG, or Gamersgate will take their cut.

How many people do you think actually buy direct off Origin.com?
WalMart approach, I expect. Same reason Steam keys can be bought of Amazon, GMG, etc: let third-party resellers market your platform for you, get them onto your platform, and then they'll be more likely to buy directly from you in the future.

And I think a lot of people have bought directly off Origin.com, during price errors at least.

I'm sure they still give some shits about it. It hasn't gone the way of GFWL yet at least.

Evidently EA's petulance isn't paying off, though, or there wouldn't have been such a massive upswing in the amount of EA-featured deals last year (and this excludes EA Partners games). I don't expect EA to abandon Origin entirely but I don't doubt that it's looking at Ubi's Uplay integration and taking copious notes.

EA apparently has some trouble choosing between money in the hand vs money in the bush.

AHA-Lambda

Has there been any update on if UPlay is included in South Park?

There's no way in hell I'm paying that extra £10 Ubisoft PC tax.

mannerbot

That reminded me of Jorji of Papers Please.

And, yeah, I already had thought of that as one of the flaws of that idea lol

Yeah, not going to work as a substitute for HLTB. People might write reviews after 10 minutes of playing, or replay for years after they beat it, or idle a lot in game etc. It might be ok for an idea of how much replay value a game has but it's always going to be heavily skewed because the people who like the game enough to leave a review probably like it enough to play it way more than the average.

I think at this point the money they are not making selling games in steam is more than the investment in origin. But if not, sometimes changing your investment at time might help you to reduce your losses.

IMHO we are at this point. And as JaseC pointed before, the fact that they are increasing their sales in steam seems to reveal they are noticing the same too.

Cmon EA, the sooner, the better!

HoosTrax

IMHO we are at this point. And as JaseC pointed before, the fact that they are increasing their sales in steam seems to reveal they are noticing the same too.
Erm, I thought the increased prevalence of those sales was because they're no longer allowed (apparently) to have their own "publisher weekend" sales like the other major pubs on Steam. (I assumed it was a consolation prize)

Dr Dogg

All you young whippersnappers these days. I remember when EA's download service was called Link.

Edit: To put the above time frames into perspective, EA's Q4 FY2012 ended in May 2012 -- we're approaching two years since that date and the vast majority of its planned features since Origin "launched" in mid-2011 have yet to materialise.

Well let's be honest Achievements are still a bit thin on the ground (I think they are still in beta). Only BF3 MP, Mass Effect 3 and Dead Space 3 has then and anything EA has released afterwards hasn't had support. I would say it seams like you need a 3 in the title to get them but even Crysis 3 doesn't have them.

JaseC

WalMart approach, I expect. Same reason Steam keys can be bought of Amazon, GMG, etc: let third-party resellers market your platform for you, get them onto your platform, and then they'll be more likely to buy directly from you in the future.

This works for Steam because it has a gargantuan third-party library that is constantly expanding whereas Origin only has around two-dozen, most of which are either Steam or Uplay games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom