• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
So which publishers should be acknowledged for their excellence in Steam?

I guess my first place would go for 2k Games because they constant sales and the fact that they always release their games for windows and mac. And the runner-up would be Square Enix.

The consolation prize for their improvement could be Capcom lol.

HoosTrax

I guess my first place would go for 2k Games because they constant sales and the fact that they always release their games for windows and mac. And the runner-up would be Square Enix.

SEGA

I want to say Paradox as well, but they keep foisting unwanted Magicka sales and Magicka F2P games on us...

CD Projekt deserves a mention as well, as despite their commitment to GoG and DRM-free on their own shop, they're willing to go the extra mile for the fan service on the Steam versions of their games (achievements and whatnot).

Tellaerin

I wish more people realized this. There's too many people even on this board that think Origin is "new" and started in 2011 or whenever they launched it. It's nothing more than a goddamn name change and a really basic client. They still don't have every feature Steam had when Origin launched and we're going on 3 years later.

Eh, it's no big deal. Origin won't be replacing Steam anytime soon, but it's pretty inoffensive as clients go. It lets me download, install and launch games without any trouble, and once I'm in a game, I can forget that it's even there. For a service that's not named Steam, anything else beyond that would just be gravy.

yuraya

Paying full price for games on steam? Nonsense. Maybe for Dark souls 2 :p but seeing how they keep delaying that pc release closer and closer to the summer sales its really no point in paying full price for it either. First people were saying its going to be couple weeks after console release, than they said May, now there is no release date at all. So lets just call it a June release and wait for that 50-75% off during summer sales :) Praise the sun!

Caerith

This works for Steam because it has a gargantuan third-party library that is constantly expanding whereas Origin only has around two-dozen, most of which are either Steam or Uplay games.
Right, but that doesn't stop them from thinking they can pull it off.

THQ.

(Square-Enix as runner-up? How so? Because they're pretty terrible.)

Evidently EA's petulance isn't paying off, though, or there wouldn't have been such a massive upswing in the amount of EA-featured deals last year (and this excludes EA Partners games). I don't expect EA to abandon Origin entirely but I don't doubt that it's looking at Ubi's Uplay integration and taking copious notes.

As for EA's own investment into Origin, well:

Edit: To put the above time frames into perspective, EA's Q4 FY2012 ended in May 2012 -- we're approaching two years since that date and the vast majority of its planned features since Origin "launched" in mid-2011 have yet to materialise.

Haha, I was reading the first image and I was like "wait, Origin doesn't have those does it, what year is this?"

Anteater

Guess it's a fucking glitch in mafia 2. I don't want to restart the shitty chapter and do all the shitty driving again, you fucking assholes!

balelosesit_a_gifsoup9wujx.gif

Grief.exe

Paying full price for games on steam? Nonsense. Maybe for Dark souls 2 :p but seeing how they keep delaying that pc release closer and closer to the summer sales its really no point in paying full price for it either. First people were saying its going to be couple weeks after console release, than they said May, now there is no release date at all. So lets just call it a June release and wait for that 50-75% off during summer sales :) Praise the sun!

The only official statement we have gotten so far is 2-3 weeks.

From and Namco havent said anything else on that subject. I have no idea what you are referring to with these delays.

Right, but that doesn't stop them from thinking they can pull it off.

THQ.

(Square-Enix as runner-up? How so? Because they're pretty terrible.)

IMHO use of steamworks, pricing policy and since they released Tomb Raider as a steamplay game I want to believe this might start a trend for the future.

HoosTrax

That reminds me -- apologies to Blizzard, who gifted me Mirror's Edge without knowing about my severe acrophobia; I slogged (and I do mean slogged) about halfway through the game, but it really took a lot out of me, as I couldn't play more than one chapter without having to lie down for a bit. Basically I don't think I can ever finish that game. If I had balls, they'd be shriveling into me every time I attempted a jump in that game.

Derrick01

Banned
Say Derrick01, you considering getting Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z?

I'm not very big on japanese action games. They've never been able to hold my interest for long, probably because most of their combat systems feel like fighting games where you have to memorize a dozen different button presses to pull off a mid-level ability (I'm exaggerating a bit on purpose here). Since I don't like fighting games, and these action games very frequently do nothing else well, you have a formula that puts me to sleep.

Feb. is all about dat Lords of Shadow 2 :)

Caerith

IMHO use of steamworks, pricing policy and since they released Tomb Raider as a steamplay game I want to believe this might start a trend for the future.
Tomb Raider - $49.99 (available cheaper anywhere else)
Tomb Raider Survival Edition - $57.99
Tomb Raider DLC - $39.74
Tomb Raider GOTY - $29.99

Or there's Deus Ex: Human Revolution: Director's Cut. $5 for people who already own everything in it, doesn't stack with sale discounts. Built off some alpha build of the game and has all kinds of problems that are never going to be patched.

Or there's Final Fantasy XI (and, eventually, XIV). S-E releases their MMOs on Steam, but only long after their launch and they pull them down and put a new version up with every expansion. If you play through Steam, you need to delete your installation and reinstall it. There are better ways to handle this (look at how 2K/Firaxis handles Civ V, for example), this only works to the benefit of people who collect games, not to those who play them.

S-E is terrible. Both in regards to Steam and in general.

That reminds me -- apologies to Blizzard, who gifted me Mirror's Edge without knowing about my severe acrophobia; I slogged (and I do mean slogged) about halfway through the game, but it really took a lot out of me, as I couldn't play more than one chapter without having to lie down for a bit. Basically I don't think I can ever finish that game. If I had balls, they'd be shriveling into me every time I attempted a jump in that game.

I hear you can cure acrophobia pretty easily. Just watch Kim Novak fall to her death twice.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Erm, I thought the increased prevalence of those sales was because they're no longer allowed (apparently) to have their own "publisher weekend" sales like the other major pubs on Steam. (I assumed it was a consolation prize)

I don't think there's ever been an EA promo sale.

Tizoc

I'm not very big on japanese action games. They've never been able to hold my interest for long, probably because most of their combat systems feel like fighting games where you have to memorize a dozen different button presses to pull off a mid-level ability (I'm exaggerating a bit on purpose here). Since I don't like fighting games, and these action games very frequently do nothing else well, you have a formula that puts me to sleep.
Ah I see.

Feb. is all about dat Lords of Shadow 2 :)

tumblr_m1nnayzvXG1rody9mo1_400.gif

I originally got LoS1 on PS3 and as such I'll be double dipping for this game.

yuraya

The only official statement we have gotten so far is 2-3 weeks.

From and Namco havent said anything else on that subject. I have no idea what you are referring to with these delays.

I hope its only 2-3 weeks. About a month now from the console release and they still can't give pc release date is worrisome. I don't have a 360 or ps3 so waiting would be awful. I guess I will just do ng+ on the first one while everyone else is enjoying DS2 :/

Tomb Raider - $49.99 (available cheaper anywhere else)
Tomb Raider Survival Edition - $57.99
Tomb Raider DLC - $39.74
Tomb Raider GOTY - $29.99

Or there's Deus Ex: Human Revolution: Director's Cut. $5 for people who already own everything in it, doesn't stack with sale discounts. Built off some alpha build of the game and has all kinds of problems that are never going to be patched.

Or there's Final Fantasy XI (and, eventually, XIV). S-E releases their MMOs on Steam, but only long after their launch and they pull them down and put a new version up with every expansion. If you play through Steam, you need to delete your installation and reinstall it. There are better ways to handle this (look at how 2K/Firaxis handles Civ V, for example), this only works to the benefit of people who collect games, not to those who play them.

S-E is terrible. Both in regards to Steam and in general.

I hear you can cure acrophobia pretty easily. Just watch Kim Novak fall to her death twice.

DAMN, you're right sir. I just noticed I have most of their games but none of them bought in Steam.

Caerith

DAMN, you're right sir. I just noticed I have most of their games but none of them bought in Steam.
There's also the FF7/FF8 thing, which I kinda tuned out but apparently both use the worst possible assets for each game and require you to log in to an S-E account in order to play.

All told, S-E has no place on a "most Steam-friendly" list.

Anteater

finally, stupid shitty joe in mafia 2 decided to follow me after reloading the checkpoint and running up and down 5 floors with glitched AIs shooting me through walls and shit and having to refight the last wave of stupid fucks.

Fuck you 2k

ibsxdgssmiq7b68zsrc.gif

Derrick01

Banned
I'm hoping the whole game is good and not just a third of it.

Well the 1st one was good for like 60-70% so I don't see why this one wouldn't either ;)

Being open world and supposedly set more in the castle this time should be an improvement for people who want the more traditional castlevania stuff.

AHA-Lambda

sp9fkaz.jpg

tumblr_inline_mk6d3cevyfal.gif

Nice try, Ubi.

Edit: I bought a ROW copy from this guy for $20, if anyone else is curious. Cheaper than the offerings in the BST thread (iHEO's profit margin is, frankly, ridiculous).

Can you explain what the means please. Does ROW mean I can play it in the UK? I'll happily get South Park at $20.

JaseC

Well let's be honest Achievements are still a bit thin on the ground (I think they are still in beta). Only BF3 MP, Mass Effect 3 and Dead Space 3 has then and anything EA has released afterwards hasn't had support. I would say it seams like you need a 3 in the title to get them but even Crysis 3 doesn't have them.

But in the interest of being fair, what's important is that they're there!\

Can you explain what the means please. Does ROW mean I can play it in the UK? I'll happily get South Park at $20.

ROW means "rest-of-world" and these subs aren't region-locked.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Nice. Did you liked it?

My little nephew (8 years old) finished this game too, he cried in the end.
Yep! Back when it was revealed I was bummed it didn't have proper co-op but as soon as I started playing I understood why. Really cool ideas for the way the brothers play, even though it left me wanting more since the game's sections are quite short, and it ends right after it starts to get more inventive with the mechanics. Still, I had a great time
(even though it's sad as hell!)
. I'd like to see the gameplay used again in the future.

DukeBobby

Well the 1st one was good for like 60-70% so I don't see why this one wouldn't either ;)

Being open world and supposedly set more in the castle this time should be an improvement for people who want the more traditional castlevania stuff.

More like 30%. Everything before and after the vampire castle section (chapters 5-8) was pretty forgettable.

I'm optimistic about this one, though. I like what I've seen so far.

Deadbeat

Banned
I am so glad I dodged that bullet. You cant even buy the regular version anymore. Separate Missing Link DLC is gone as well. All the mini pre order DLC is gone too. I bought all of that before this situation.

AHA-Lambda

I got a copy from the same guy JaseC got his from, looks good so far and he had tons of positive feedback. Thanks again for the help Jase!

Can I ask why it mentions in JaseC's quote that the game only runs in AU NZ SG HK TW?

I've never done Steam Trading before I just wanna make sure I can play it in the UK.

mannerbot

Can I ask why it mentions in JaseC's quote that the game only runs in AU NZ SG HK TW?

There are a couple of different subs for the game. For example, there's the one you're talking about, and then another one that only works for RU + CIS countries. The ROW (Rest of World) one is region-free, and that's the one that JaseC actually got. He brought it up in that post because Ubisoft was trying to price gouge with the Aussie tax but he beat it! Score one for the good guys!

Zafir

I've never done Steam Trading before I just wanna make sure I can play it in the UK.
Different sub, seems like they're using a glitch to buy the normal RoW sub with the Russian price.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Kind of a shame that my Amazon credits went to waste (I used 1 / 14). I had a somewhat unexpected surgery Thursday morning and was more or less out Thursday and Friday. Gotta love that, especially after just losing my health insurance at the beginning of the year.

My one Amazon credit I used for Final Fantasy XIV. I played a few hours last night... and yeah I can see what all the fuss is about.
I'm doomed.

Anyway, picked up the latest Groupee's bundle, and I have my fingers crossed that these will get greenlit thanks to the influx of votes that usually happen with these types of bundles. It made me wonder though, if Steam is thinking of transitioning away from Greenlight, and making the process more open so that anyone can sell their game through the platform, I hope developers and publishers keep with their tradition of providing Steam keys to past purchasers. I could see where some might be dicks and say something like "We promised keys if the game made it through Greenlight, but it didn't make it through Greenlight before it got shut down..."

Grief.exe

Kind of a shame that my Amazon credits went to waste (I used 1 / 14). I had a somewhat unexpected surgery Thursday morning and was more or less out Thursday and Friday. Gotta love that, especially after just losing my health insurance at the beginning of the year.

That's a horrible sequence of events, I hope you are feeling better.

No wonder you weren't on Steam for two days.

JaseC

Can I ask, how do people manage to sell this stuff so cheap? I just basically got South Park for about £14 down from £40 o_O

There's a loophole with the checkout system that allows people to purchase the ROW sub at the price of the Russian sub.

Edit: I'm referring to South Park in particular. For the most part, Eastern European subs aren't region-locked (if they're used at all), but this has gradually become less and less true over the past few years as far as releases from major publishers are concerned.

The_Monk

Hoping for the best, let us know if there's anything we can do to help. Regarding these Health Insurance losses I only know that those work very different from here, I still remember some article mentioning that Obama was learning from the Portuguese health system management.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom