• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
That's a horrible sequence of events, I hope you are feeling better.

No wonder you weren't on Steam for two days.

I'll be fine, but it was kind of scary (minor eye surgery) and i have to go back next month to have another done. I told my wife that (given both my occupation and hobby) I'd rather lose my ability to walk than my eye sight.

Can I ask, how do people manage to sell this stuff so cheap? I just basically got South Park for about £14 down from £40 o_O

Russia. It's about £12.63 there. So whoever sold you your copy made about £1.37 profit.

Caerith

Kind of a shame that my Amazon credits went to waste (I used 1 / 14). I had a somewhat unexpected surgery Thursday morning and was more or less out Thursday and Friday. Gotta love that, especially after just losing my health insurance at the beginning of the year.

My one Amazon credit I used for Final Fantasy XIV. I played a few hours last night... and yeah I can see what all the fuss is about.
I'm doomed.

Anyway, picked up the latest Groupee's bundle, and I have my fingers crossed that these will get greenlit thanks to the influx of votes that usually happen with these types of bundles. It made me wonder though, if Steam is thinking of transitioning away from Greenlight, and making the process more open so that anyone can sell their game through the platform, I hope developers and publishers keep with their tradition of providing Steam keys to past purchasers. I could see where some might be dicks and say something like "We promised keys if the game made it through Greenlight, but it didn't make it through Greenlight before it got shut down..."
Hope you don't get too screwed by your surgery. At least you've got FFXIV? I had fun with it, even if it made no sense that Archers (best damage in game) got a healing limit break.

I imagine that most developers will still honor bundle keys. The backlash isn't worth it.

(Speaking of Greenlight, go vote for Sentinel)

I'm actually impressed with how completely tasteless the character customization in Loadout can get.

I can't even post these raw, needless to say NSFW. Not even gonna allow these to hyperlink to prevent any accidental clicks.

http://i.minus.com/ibk9a0y4OHlMOA.gif
http://i.minus.com/ibn5yGRlIyFh5l.gif

DocSeuss

Ugh. Coinbase isn't letting me in right now. Stupid dual-factor authentication isn't sending a call to my phone, and I don't have SMS.

That means I can't buy South Park. :|

mannerbot

I'll be fine, but it was kind of scary (minor eye surgery) and i have to go back next month to have another done. I told my wife that (given both my occupation and hobby) I'd rather lose my ability to walk than my eye sight.

Good to hear that it turned out alright, hopefully your next one goes smoothly as well.

And hopefully some news about uPlay for South Park: The Stick of Truth will be announced soon. I think I'll get rid of my copy if the game requires uPlay...

AHA-Lambda

There's a loophole with the checkout system that allows people to purchase the ROW sub at the price of the Russian sub.

Edit: I'm referring to South Park in particular. For the most part, Eastern European subs aren't region-locked (if they're used at all), but this has gradually become less and less true over the past few years as far as releases from major publishers are concerned.

Hmm, sounds dodgy but I assume it's ok considering you of all people are doing it.

Never had any bother from Steam about this sort of thing right?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I'm actually impressed with how completely tasteless the character customization in Loadout can get.

I can't even post these raw, needless to say NSFW. Not even gonna allow these to hyperlink to prevent any accidental clicks.
Holy crap. :lol

mannerbot

Hmm, sounds dodgy but I assume it's ok considering you of all people are doing it.

Never had any bother from Steam about this sort of thing right?

Pricing differences are common, and I haven't had any issues with copies of my other games from other regions, whether I got them from GAFfers helping or from traders. This one is kind of a special case but JaseC promised it would be alright!

AHA-Lambda

Pricing differences are common, and I haven't had any issues with copies of my other games from other regions, whether I got them from GAFfers helping or from traders. This one is kind of a special case but JaseC promised it would be alright!

No bother, I take JaseC's word on it but from the sounds of it I'm amazed Valve hasn't cracked down on it.

People somehow getting ROW games for RU prices through loopholes? Guess that's what the newer region restrictions JaseC was talking about is for =/

Caerith

Is that first one Maddox? That game looks like it could be fun. If the multiplayer is still active when I clear up my backlog, I might give it a try.

(You could just use [plain][/plain] tags if you don't want the links to work.)

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Hoping for the best, let us know if there's anything we can do to help. Regarding these Health Insurance losses I only know that those work very different from here, I still remember some article mentioning that Obama was learning from the Portuguese health system management.

For the past few years I've had REALLY good insurance. This year my employer cut everyone back to the minimum coverage that is legally allowed. So while last year my total medical expense was about $3,000, this year I can expect it to be about $10,000 - $12,000 with a very high deductible (meaning I have to pay most of this money up-front).

I bet Valve has good health insurance.

Hope you don't get too screwed by your surgery. At least you've got FFXIV? I had fun with it, even if it made no sense that Archers (best damage in game) got a healing limit break.

I imagine that most developers will still honor bundle keys. The backlash isn't worth it.

(Speaking of Greenlight, go vote for Sentinel)

Looks cool, voted! I'm having a surprisingly good time with XIV. I played XI way back when it first came out and didn't care much for it. Uematsu's music really seals the deal on this one, for me. I played a Gladiator, but now I'm over level 10 so I might switch to an archer and check it out.

Good to hear that it turned out alright, hopefully your next one goes smoothly as well.

Thanks everyone for your kind words! When I learned I would have to go through this, I put out the latest Enhanced Steam version and I'm planning on taking at least a week or so off to just relax some and play games. :) (As much as I can, anyway)

valouris

I got Hitman: Contracts from the Square Enix site sale, but I still haven't been sent a key. Anyone else got the game? Same experience?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Ubi retroactively locking down the ROW sub would create a giant headache of a ripple effect, plus literally every single case of retroactive region-locking was ultimately reversed, with the most recent one being Black Flag's RU pre-order subs, which is also an Ubi game.

That is a damn impressive physics engine.
(Installing now)

Zafir

No bother, I take JaseC's word on it but from the sounds of it I'm amazed Valve hasn't cracked down on it.

People somehow getting ROW games for RU prices through loopholes? Guess that's what the newer region restrictions JaseC was talking about is for =/
Oh the region restrictions were put in place were due to people buying the RU/Asia versions(as they're often cheaper). Now people are using the loophole to get around it, and when Valve fix that, they'll find some other way I guess.

If anyone was to get into trouble, it would be the people buying the game through the loophole, not the people with the keys wanting a game.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
Ubi retroactively locking down the ROW sub would create a giant headache of a ripple effect, plus literally every single case of retroactive region-locking was ultimately reversed, with the most recent one being Black Flag's RU pre-order subs, which is also an Ubi game.

this was probably already answered and i missed it, but through which seller did you guys buy the cheap ROW version?

Dr Dogg

I got Hitman: Contracts from the Square Enix site sale, but I still haven't been sent a key. Anyone else got the game? Same experience?

It was instantaneous for me. After checkout it directed me to a page with my Steam key and I got an email about 30 seconds later. If you click in My Account on the main Square Enix store page and the Click continue at the next page it should take you to a page labeled My Orders which has mine there and the corespondent Steam key.

HoosTrax

So what's the lowdown on this Loadout game? It looks and sounds kind of like a more cartoony version of Brink (which had character and weapon customization as well). Is it an arena shooter, or a team/class based shooter (TF2)?

Sini

Is it still possible to add people by Steam username? I'm pretty sure they removed that functionality, but someone says it is possible.

Caerith

For the past few years I've had REALLY good insurance. This year my employer cut everyone back to the minimum coverage that is legally allowed. So while last year my total medical expense was about $3,000, this year I can expect it to be about $10,000 - $12,000 with a very high deductible (meaning I have to pay most of this money up-front).

I bet Valve has good health insurance.

Looks cool, voted! I'm having a surprisingly good time with XIV. I played XI way back when it first came out and didn't care much for it. Uematsu's music really seals the deal on this one, for me. I played a Gladiator, but now I'm over level 10 so I might switch to an archer and check it out.

Thanks everyone for your kind words! When I learned I would have to go through this, I put out the latest Enhanced Steam version and I'm planning on taking at least a week or so off to just relax some and play games. :) (As much as I can, anyway)
Healthcare in America is scary. Hope everything resolves as smoothly as it can.

But, on-topic, I played FFXI for... 8 years? Really enjoyed it until they ruined it forever. FFXIV really changed a lot since 1.0, and I hope that they let Yoshi-P (the guy who turned it around) get his own project next, start to finish, without having to pick up the pieces of someone else's failure. Hold off on switching classes until at least 15 (
you get an airship pass then
).

Jawmuncher

So what's the lowdown on this Loadout game? It looks and sounds kind of like a more cartoony version of Brink (which had character and weapon customization as well). Is it an arena shooter, or a team/class based shooter (TF2)?

Would like to know as well.
Also I wish Brink would have been more polished when it came out.
So many great ideas it had going for it that just didn't live up to the hype they made.
Still I enjoyed my time with it on the console side, since I heard the PC side of thing the game was unplayable for awhile.

ngt

Is it still possible to add people by Steam username? I'm pretty sure they removed that functionality, but someone says it is possible.

Yes, just click Add a friend and enter his username. However with usernames on Steam not being unique, you better be sure who you add.

Zafir

After the Ubisoft AssCreed IV debacle with region locking, i'm not trusting them at all.

Well, the RU/CIS sub already existed in the first place and they just added region locking to it with AC4, that wouldn't happen with South Park as it's the RoW version. They can't just region lock it because people have legitimately bought that version from EU/US etc.

Myshkin

Tabby just had a litter. Need to find homes for these kittens:

ModBot said:
Instructions for Myshkin:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

UFO Afterlight -- MB-7EA70899A73D6E2B - Taken by Purkake4. 3 entrants total.
Race Injection -- MB-EBA392B407DB2E2D - Taken by Diedac. 10 entrants total.
Space Interceptor Project Freedom -- MB-64FC64F2D656B81C - Taken by Shalashaska. 4 entrants total.
Reus -- MB-16055E08E62070C8 - Taken by fernandes. 15 entrants total.
Men of War -- MB-FC4A2AF59AD31C0B - Taken by Alessandro. 3 entrants total.

t1391294518z1.png

Image of recent mom:

Hasney

Whoops, didn't realise my South Park key was UPLAY only. Oh well, as long as it works with streaming alright then I'll be golden.

Blizzard

Banned
That reminds me -- apologies to Blizzard, who gifted me Mirror's Edge without knowing about my severe acrophobia; I slogged (and I do mean slogged) about halfway through the game, but it really took a lot out of me, as I couldn't play more than one chapter without having to lie down for a bit. Basically I don't think I can ever finish that game. If I had balls, they'd be shriveling into me every time I attempted a jump in that game.
Aww, I'm sorry it ended up being so bad. At least you got to try some of it! It's one of my favorite games so I've been happy to gift it to people regardless.

Anteater

Has one of my favorite endings ever.
Wish more games would give those sort of sucker punch endings.

Same here....I actually really enjoyed Mafia 2. I know it gets a lot of hate for not being "open world", but I had a lot of fun with it and I enjoyed the story

Yeah the game was really enjoyable, as for the open world I don't think the game at any moment encourage you to go around doing random stuff, it was pretty much a linear story driven game, I kind of like it that way though, I don't need unnecessary padding to prolong the game.

Ok, most of MGR:R is amazing.

This DLC boss fight, however, is one of the worst programmed dumpster fires I have ever come across.

It seriously takes everything that could be complained about within the game engine (and them some) and exponentially multiplies it til you want to break something. :lol

(1) The camera swinging around as Sam dodges can cause Armstrong to do a "bananagram" as I call it which is impossible to dodge.
(2) The hitboxes on some of Armstrong's attacks are ridiculous and hit you even when you're nowhere near them.
(3) The startup animations for a lot of Amrstrong's attacks are shared and provide almost no indication as to which attack you need to evade.
(4) The AI is so ridiculously aggressive that it conditions you to fight a subset of his moves so that when he does randomly pull something else out, it seems like magic.
(5) There seems to be some "cheating" going on in terms of recovery animations and the like for some of Armstrong's attacks so it leads to situations where the timing necessary to evade them changes.

A lot of these are forgiveable if you're okay with taking damage... but when I'm trying to knock out the you're hired achievement, it amplifies these problems beyond their already frustrating level.

which one?

Should be apparent now, but Sam vs. Armstrong.

Jawmuncher

Yeah the game was really enjoyable, as for the open world I don't think the game at any moment encourage you to go around doing random stuff, it was pretty much a linear story driven game, I kind of like it that way though, I don't need unnecessary padding to prolong the game.

This is one of the reasons why I enjoyed it so much. Since it really is just a linear story game set in a big world. Which i'm absolutely fine with. Actually wouldn't mind seeing more of that to be honest.

I think I finally understand Europa Universalis IV enough that I won't feel like I'm just be sitting there cluelessly clicking stuff on various menus. I've been playing as one of the easiest countries in the game, Castille, and failing miserably. Tanking my economy, failing militarily, sinking lower and lower in the world standing, you name it. The tutorials kind of helped, as have watching quill18's playthroughs of Castille on youtube. Honestly tho, what has helped the most is simply pausing the game and mousing over all of the notification flags, menus, options and what not and simply reading. Then once a decision is made playing the game at speed 1 or 2 and pausing immediately at any new notification flags. This will probably be the slowest game of EUIV ever but so was my first game of Civ V on Settler on a duel map against Siam.

That's a good question. It might have something to do with the crazy mess of publishing turnover that series has been a part of. Microsoft published the first game, 2K published the second, and Square-Enix published the third. There was was that Uwe Boll movie in there somewhere too, but that probably doesn't matter. I just think it's funny. I'm kind of impressed that the first two games made it onto Steam at all, though.

Or it could just be Square-Enix having everything available to publish and not considering it worthwhile enough to bother with :(

I was also impressed when I saw them pop up on Steam around the time of the release of Dungeon Siege 3. I'm hoping that one day the expansion packs are added but I think the chance of that happening is minimal.

It's incredible how much a few Pinnacle tweaks can do in MGR. I went from barely being able to do anything with blade mode to actually being semi-decent at doing Zandatsus and collecting left arms once I only have to press the button to get into blade mode. The Blade Wolf boss fight was a lot more tolerable with a similar modification to the Ninja Run controls. It doesn't make up for the shit camera or the horrible tutorial system, but it's keeping me playing when I was on the verge of giving up on the game a day or two ago.

Sini

Oh, if you mean username as with what you log on to Steam, not your nickname, then no. You should not reveal your logon name to anyone, it's one part of your account security.
But can people find you by using that?

It's incredible how much a few Pinnacle tweaks can do in MGR. I went from barely being able to do anything with blade mode to actually being semi-decent at doing Zandatsus and collecting left arms once I only have to press the button to get into blade mode. The Blade Wolf boss fight was a lot more tolerable with a similar modification to the Ninja Run controls. It doesn't make up for the shit camera or the horrible tutorial system, but it's keeping me playing when I was on the verge of giving up on the game a day or two ago.

What change did you make? Change blade mode and ninja run to toggles instead of button holds?

The only change I was considering using PGP for was somehow mapping dodge to a button after having a few fuckups where i didn't hit the buttons at EXACTLY the same time and having Sam jump instead of dodge during a good no damage run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom